Archive for Tuesday, November 16, 2010

40 years ago: Small bags of marijuana again found on KU campus

November 16, 2010

From the Lawrence Daily Journal-World for Nov. 16, 1970:

• Three command officers had recently resigned from the Lawrence Police Department. Four other policemen at the patrol level had resigned earlier in the year, so the force was expected to be down by at least seven men by the end of the month. Other problems the department was experiencing included a lack of money and a decline in morale.
  • A staff photo showed the big mess on 15th Street between Vermont and Kentucky that resulted when the crew of a garbage truck, having noticed that the truck’s load was on fire, dumped the garbage to prevent damage to the vehicle. The fire chief said that the fire had started when burning garbage had been put in the truck unnoticed.
  • Two small bags of marijuana, numbered 1 and 69 of 100, were found on the Kansas University campus outside Lindley Hall and Snow Hall. One bag had a note attached that read, “Today I have set out 100 bagfuls of choice marijuana.” The note also said that the bags were distributed as a “grass-roots” survey, as the bags which were not turned in to authorities would indicate the percentage of users in Lawrence.

Comments

Pywacket 3 years, 5 months ago

Meant to say, "...people being outraged when trash service dropped to TWO times per week." Now, it's one there, as it is in most places.

Pywacket 3 years, 5 months ago

When I was a kid, in the 60s, the garbagemen (as we called them then--not very PC in those days) would walk up the driveway, carry our trash out to the truck, and return the trash cans behind the house. There were never any unsightly trash cans lining the roadway.

As for the burning trash, it's possible that a smoldering cigarette could have ignited some trash. I think that is more likely than the trash collectors accidentally mistaking a burn barrel for regular trash. Most people had a burn barrel back then and they were usually distinct from the galvanized trash cans of the day--not to mention, they would be in a different spot on the property. Just my guess...

Nobody used plastic trash bags back then and there was a lot less trash--things were not ridiculously overpackeged. Pick-up was three times a week and I remember people being outraged when it dropped to one. Our moms knew the garbageman by name and would exchange pleasantries with him as he made his rounds.

We also had a milkman and an eggman back then. I'm sure Lawrence probably had this service, too. There were 2 dairies that offered home delivery in my city. The eggman was just an old farmer who came into town once a week and kept a small route of customers. Yes, times have changed!

I guess it's been a long time since the Pot Fairy was so kind to Lawrence. How funny that the bags were numbered and all.

Sarah St. John 3 years, 5 months ago

I wouldn't be surprised, Bozo. I had been wondering how they didn't notice that the garbage they were putting into the truck was actually on fire, but smoldering in a barrel -- that could go unnoticed.

I wish you could have seen the picture. Garbage everywhere! When I was very little, I can remember a garbage truck on our street having some sort of malfunction, and dumping the trash out, and the garbagemen having to borrow one of our shovels to pick it up, and how we got the shovel back all dinged up from scraping on the street. Funny what you remember from when you're little!

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 5 months ago

"The fire chief said that the fire had started when burning garbage had been put in the truck unnoticed."

Was burning trash in a barrel in the back yard still a preferred way of disposing of trash in Lawrence at that time, as it was in other communities?

AnnaUndercover 3 years, 5 months ago

"The note also said that the bags were distributed as a “grass-roots” survey, as the bags which were not turned in to authorities would indicate the percentage of users in Lawrence."

O_o

Um, and as we can see, we've done such a great job getting this dangerous drug off the streets that no reader is familiar with what this article discusses.

We've come a long way, baby.