Archive for Friday, November 12, 2010

Kansas Division of Alcoholic Beverage Control scrutinizes alcoholic energy drink Four Loko, but no ban yet

November 12, 2010

— Kansas liquor officials say they are closely watching what other states are doing about an alcoholic energy drink called Four Loko.

Michigan and Washington have banned the malt beverage and Oklahoma will prohibit further sales after the current supply is gone. Critics say the drink is aimed at teens and young people who don't understand the danger of mixing alcohol and caffeine.

Freda Warfield, a spokeswoman for the Kansas Division of Alcoholic Beverage Control, says no problems have been reported in Kansas. But she says the state is monitoring an ongoing Food and Drug Administration investigation of the drink.

The Wichita Eagle reports that nothing will happen soon. A ban would likely require action from the Legislature, which doesn't meet until January.

Comments

Liberty275 4 years, 1 month ago

I wonder if they will be making it illegal for me to hit my Z's breve latte with a shot of that nasty irish whixkey (why waste scotch, the nectar of The God, AKA me, on coffee?) next? Stupid kneejerk symbolic reaction from the band of utter imbeciles we vote for because they are all we have to choose from make us look as stupid as the dead state of michigan and the loony leftwing enclave of the northeast.

We are getting what we deserve. More government intrusion and less freedom.

Ignorant_Yokel 4 years, 1 month ago

RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!1!!!

I'M ANGRRYYYYYY AT THOSE IMBECILES!!!!!!11!!!!!1!!!!!

THEY'RE STOOPID AND LOONEY!!!!!!11!!!11111!!!!!!

MY FAVORITE WORDS ARE "LIBERTY" AND "FREEDOM"!!!!!11!!!!!!!!111!!!!!!

chzypoof1 4 years, 1 month ago

at least your handle is appropriate....

somedude20 4 years, 1 month ago

Has the Kansas division of the FDA come out against KFC's Double Down or IHOP for their over the top, bad for you (fat, calories and cholesterol that put you in an early grave) foods or is it just alcohol that is always evil and needs to be watched?

Jcjayhawk1 4 years, 1 month ago

Agreed! Heart Disease is the most prevalent disease in the US. I don't have the figures in front of me but I think it's around 400k die each year from heart disease. Another 400k from cigarettes, and another 100k from alcohol. Profiting off of peoples death is a government enterprise with respect to taxes.....oh yea and there is an actual death tax too.

People want to increase tax dollars for social services which in one aspect is noble. But the government is just as irresponsible with spending tax dollars as the large banks were investing your savings. At least the banks had greed as a motivator.....the government is just incompetent.

deec 4 years, 1 month ago

Well they do need some non-issue to distract the people. Remember K-2?

Flap Doodle 4 years, 1 month ago

Wide awake drunks, what could go wrong?

alm77 4 years, 1 month ago

Now that's funny! I laughed until i cried.

kernal 4 years, 1 month ago

Googled this and found an interesting article at wikipedia, written by that site's founder no less. Interesting reading.

The really important part is Coffee Kioki will not be banned.

Denny2009 4 years, 1 month ago

I want one bourbon, one scotch, one beer.

Casey_Jones 4 years, 1 month ago

Five drinks I can handle, but make it beer or whiskey. Three red bulls? I'd rather not.

shanep 4 years, 1 month ago

no doubt the stuff is disgusting and probably shouldn't be consumed by anyone, but should it be banned? probably not. Reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw once that read "if you don't like abortions, don't have one" a little over the top? perhaps. but if you don't like four lokos, don't drink one.

WHY 4 years, 1 month ago

I wonder how they scrutinize it. Buy a case and drink a few and see how they feel in the morning. Seems like a hell of a job.

amesn 4 years, 1 month ago

It has commonly been named the 'blackout' beverage because the idiots don't realize just how drunk they are until the cafeine buzz wears off and their bodies are left with too much alcohol to metabolize. They can ban it but I don't think that will stop anyone from drinking redbull and vodka or jaeger bombs anytime soon. I wish you could buy a pretty bottle of the real deal Absynthe still..slam a few shots of that and you're imagining you have all the abilities of the pretty little fairy on the bottle :)

Hoots 4 years, 1 month ago

You can still get it if you order it from certain places in Europe. Nice stuff. Just check the web closely. One or two glasses and you have a nice glow.

Stuart Evans 4 years, 1 month ago

you're so close...nix the words "conservative" and "perfected by the GOP". Then it would be an accurate statement.

Steve Jacob 4 years, 1 month ago

These things seem to snowball. We all ready heard about how amazon.com had to pull those books supporting pedophile, and as soon as they did, Peta and I bet other groups are starting to ask to ban other books. Where does it end?

Stuart Evans 4 years, 1 month ago

it ends in residential camps run by homeland security fusion centers.

Stuart Evans 4 years, 1 month ago

oh my goodness, a liquor product that isn't safe for consumers!!? I think this is just the sacrifice product to keep the uptight crowd satisfied with the idea that someone gives a damn about them.

Vinny1 4 years, 1 month ago

Why would any state ban this? Its alcohol. If you drink it in excess you could be in danger. Same with any other alcohol. Says so on the bottle/can/box/etc.

So they are going to ban Four Loko because its gotten stupid people in serious health problems? Don't cigarettes and tobacco do the same thing?

Why aren't cigs banned? Oh yeah....taxes. hahahaha Government at its finest.