Archive for Thursday, November 11, 2010

Kansas Senator-elect Jerry Moran about undecided ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ policy

November 11, 2010

Precinct-by-precinct breakdown of the 2010 race for U.S. Senate

View an interactive map of the election results for U.S. Senate by precinct.

— Sen.-elect Jerry Moran said Thursday he has reached no conclusion on whether to support the repeal of a ban on gays in the military, but said he would trust military leaders to make the right decision on the issue.

"That vote is not yet before me and I will take some time to consider all the issues, but primarily I am interested in knowing what those who lead our military — without political considerations — think is the correct answer," Moran said.

Moran talked to reporters during a Veterans Day visit at the Dole VA Medical Center in Wichita. His comments come a week after Kansas voters sent the Republican congressman from the sprawling 1st Congressional District of central and western Kansas to the Senate with a huge victory margin.

Moran, who serves on the House Veterans Affairs Committee, said he had not seen a Pentagon study that reportedly concluded that lifting the ban on gays serving openly in the military would present minimal risk to the current war efforts.

The Washington Post reported on Wednesday that more than 70 percent of respondents to a Pentagon survey sent to active-duty and reserve troops over the summer said the effect of repealing the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy on gays and lesbians in uniform would be positive, mixed or nonexistent.

A Democratic proposal to repeal the 1993 law passed the House as part of a broader defense policy, but was rebuffed in the Senate under Republican objections just weeks before the Nov. 2 elections.

"I have nothing to do with when that issue will come up," Moran said when asked whether he would support a lame duck session taking up the issue. "It is one that needs to be resolved in our country."

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., has promised another vote by year's end. Defense Secretary Robert Gates has also called on Congress to act before January.

"Priority one for me in the senate is trying to restore jobs — I think you do that by creating a tax and regulatory environment (where) businesses can succeed and entrepreneurs can take their ideas to market," he said.

Moran said he came the medical center to thank those who served their country and to make sure their needs are met. He got a warm reception from veterans who repeatedly told them they were well taken care of at the facility.

"The VA still is a bit of a bureaucracy — in fact, that is an understatement — there is still a lot of bureaucracy in the VA and most of the concerns today deal with the benefit side of veterans issue as compared to health care in which there is still too long a wait, too much paperwork," Moran said.

In his many visits to veteran groups statewide, the Kansas congressman said what he mostly hears from then is that the VA still is meeting the needs for mental health counseling such as post-traumatic stress syndrome.

"We have service men and women who are deployed time and time again in very challenging circumstances and it has a consequence on them and their families," he said.

Comments

Steve Jacob 3 years, 8 months ago

I have been telling all my fellow Democrats he is a moderate, he's not a right wing nut job, and this shows I am correct.

Daniel Kennamore 3 years, 8 months ago

This doesn't show anything.

If and when the vote actually comes up, we'll see if he tows the party line.

Gary Denning 3 years, 8 months ago

It does show something--That Jerry is more than a little bit afraid to make a decision that would alienate any voters.

Barbara Emert 3 years, 8 months ago

Moran will vote the way he feels is right....not the party line. If he had voted the party line while in the House of Representatives you wouldn't have seen all it's right winged, conservative leaders treking to Kansas in support of his primary oppontent.

grammaddy 3 years, 8 months ago

"The Kansas congressman says he has not yet seen a Pentagon report that reportedly concluded that lifting the ban on gays serving openly in the military would present minimal risk to the current war efforts." Why would lifting the ban present a risk to current war efforts? Gays are already serving, just not openly.

RiverCityConservative 3 years, 8 months ago

I've shaken hands with Jerry Moran, at the local Hays post office a few years ago. I actually was under the impression for about a year that he was a slightly conservative Democrat, before I realized he was a slightly moderate Republican. Nice guy and I was pulling for him in the primaries against the zealot who lost, and I also am not ashamed to say I crossed party loyalties to vote for him in the general election as well. He's to the left of Sam Brownback, and that is a good thing, even if the change is incremental. :)

oldexbeat 3 years, 8 months ago

Kansas Senator elect Jerry Moran -- "Tell me what to think...please. I'll pay... I just don't understand equal rights, equal treatment nor the US Constitution. Really. And all those US Service heroes, whom happen to be gay. I don't understand. Help me."

I guess Moran would still be waiting for the Army to mix races, huh ? President Truman told them to "do it" and they did. It wasn't the wonderful US Senate that corrected that issue. It was a President. Jerry Moran is weak, and ran to the right to win the primary. Now he'll wait for others to tell him what to think.

whats_going_on 3 years, 8 months ago

so you'd rather have more crazies in Congress who sensationalize every issue and just vote according to how much money they get out of the deal? Thats a great way to handle a country...as we can see now!

Alceste 3 years, 8 months ago

If this guy wants to stay in office; continue to call himself a Kansan; carry on the wonderful traditions of Brownback; etc., etc., etc.....he has but one course to take: NO GAY/LESBIAN/TRANSGENDERs in the US Military. He won't stand a chance come re-election time if he goes any other way......shrug

whats_going_on 3 years, 8 months ago

at least he's standing up for what he is thinking, and not being dragged down by money and crazy extremists.

Eddie Muñoz 3 years, 8 months ago

"Kansas Senator-elect Jerry Moran about undecided ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ policy"?

Am I reading this wrong or should the 'about' and 'undecided' be reversed in the headline?

Randall Uhrich 3 years, 8 months ago

You can't have it both ways, Moran. Spit it out and deal with the consequences. You're not dealing with the highest bidder here.

whats_going_on 3 years, 8 months ago

I kind of like him, even though he does (or did?) support poopiepantspalin at one time. I feel like he's more moderate-right, which is great...I wish more could be like that.