Archive for Thursday, November 11, 2010

Kansas Governor-elect Sam Brownback vows fight against health care reform

November 11, 2010

Gov.-elect Sam Brownback went on Fox News television Wednesday night to criticize federal health reform.

Appearing on “On The Record with Greta Van Susteren,” Brownback, a Republican, said state government in Kansas will do what is required under the health care law, but added, “We are going to push back on its implementation every chance we get.”

He said opposition to the law was the “centerpiece issue” in the attorney general’s race, which was won by Republican Derek Schmidt over incumbent Democrat Steve Six.

Brownback said when the Republican Governors Association meets next week, one of the main topics of discussion will be how to fight the health care law.

Comments

Tom Shewmon 3 years, 5 months ago

If you think about it, San Fran Psycho Limousine Liberal Pewlosi, The Anointed One and Dirty Hairy Reid shoving ObamaCare up our bottom side was a gift from god. It put them in the "No" column. Sorta like how the left became hysterical over no WMD's, a broad swath of normal Americans became very ticked off over O/P/R's total BS socialist agenda.

Bye-bye arrogant libs.

Alceste 3 years, 5 months ago

I hope Brownback is able to deliver on each and every one of his crackpot ideas. The working people of Kansas will, finally, understand just how stupid they are, have been, and most probably shall continue to be as they all go flat, dead dog a** broke! It is going to be ever so amusing to watch......how I love a train wreck with all kinds of mutilation and loss: It's on the horizon....wait and see! hahahahahaahhahahaaaa

benfongturez 3 years, 5 months ago

I work part time in Lawrence while I go to school, they only offer health insurance to full timers. I make too much money to be counted as a dependent and have to file seperately from my mom on taxes, so she can not cover me on her health insurance policy through her employer. Yet my tiny salary does not qualify for assisted healthcare, or any sort of government assistance. I am not considered an independent on the FAFSA and eligible for discounted tuition because I'm not 24. I work/ go to school 14 hour days, and my personal health insurance premium is 1/3 of my income. How many college kids do you know that can afford to do that for two years now? I am the face of the person you claim wants healthcare for free.

It's a big pile of crock. There are so many people in my position. I just want to pay the same price as everyone else, or be allowed to stay on my mom's policy like the rich kids in college that don't support theirselves. I have to work while in school, while they play. AND I have to pay health insurance and they don't? This is madness, NO THIS IS RICH AMERICA!

I cry for price equality, and a governor and all his ignorant Kansas supporters take to the forums to call me "a bum" wanting something for nothing. I have worked harder through college than anyone supported by their parents, yet you would deny me the "luxury" (sad I literally consider healthcare this) of staying on my parents insurance plan while putting myself through school? I can't wait to graduate and leave this ignorant state.

ShePrecedes 3 years, 5 months ago

And who is paying Brownback to fight it? Insurance companies?

Remember, our politicians can now be legally bought.

whats_going_on 3 years, 5 months ago

Here's an idea:

ALL republicans do not NOT want people to have health insurance. It's a silly generalization. Also, just because republicans are against the reform that was passed doesn't mean they are necessarily against reform at ALL. If they are, they are lying to themselves, probably gaining something from the insurance companies, and just plain greedy.

and

ALL democrats are not lazy bums who want to mooch off of the rich...and ALL democrats do not think that everyone, including bums, should get a free ride. For example, myself (although I consider myself dem-moderate)...I hate it when people mooch off of the system. HOWEVER, people are suffering, at no fault of their own sometimes, especially since the recession. They deserve help.

People who work their butts off doing jobs that don't pay well, but are necessary to the country, also deserve assistance. Most likely they aren't going to be able to afford private insurance, especially now that the companies are completely out of control. Just because they don't hold CEO offices or management jobs doesn't mean they don't work hard.

Sensationalism is focked up.

jayhawklawrence 3 years, 5 months ago

If there are really 50 million uninsured Americans, why don't they get together and march on Washington?

Perhaps they should find a better way to represent their views if there are so many of them. Sounds like they need to organize instead of letting the Democrats take all the heat.

Isn't that the American way. Start an association and donate a couple of dollars toward health care reform and when the Republicans start sniffing money they will jump on board as well.

Just a thought.

Kontum1972 3 years, 5 months ago

yeah what does he care about health-care....he gets his for free from us....the state tax payers....he could care less about our health...

Richard Heckler 3 years, 5 months ago

How to reduce the cost of healthcare? Get rid of the medical insurance industry!

Why? Because they do not provide health care but they are a whopping expense item!

Improved Medicare Insurance for All would provide real medical insurance reform!

The United States spends twice as much as other industrialized nations on healthcare – $8160 per capita – yet performs poorly in comparison and leaves over 46 million people without health coverage and millions more inadequately covered.

Expanded and Improved Medicare for All is the solution.

• Easy to Implement: Medicare has been in existence since 1966, it provides healthcare to those 65 and older, and satisfaction levels are high. The structure is already in place and can be easily expanded to cover everyone.

• Simple: One entity – established by the government – would handle billing and payment at a cost significantly lower than private insurance companies. Private insurance companies spend about 31% of every healthcare dollar on administration. Medicare now spends about 3%.

• Real Choice: An expanded and improved Medicare for All would provide personal choice of doctors and other healthcare providers. While financing would be public, providers would remain private. As with Medicare, you chose your doctor, your hospital, and other healthcare providers.

• State and Local Tax Relief: Medicare for All would assume the costs of healthcare delivery, thus relieving the states and local governments of the cost of healthcare, including Medicaid, and as a result reduce State and local tax burdens.

• Expanded coverage: Would cover all medically necessary healthcare services – no more rationing by private insurance companies. There would be no limits on coverage, no co-pays or deductibles, and services would include not only primary and specialized care but also prescription drugs, dental, vision, mental health services, and long-term care.

• Everyone In, Nobody Out: Everyone would be eligible and covered. No longer would doctors ask what insurance you have before they treat you.

• No More Overpriced Private Health Insurance: Medicare for All would eliminate the need for private health insurance companies who put profit before healthcare, unfairly limit choice, restrict who gets coverage, and force people into bankruptcy.

• Lower Costs: Most people will pay significantly less for healthcare. Savings will be achieved in reduced administrative costs and in negotiated prices for prescription drugs.

Paul R Getto 3 years, 5 months ago

"Liberty275 (anonymous) replies… Better solution? Bachelor of Science degrees for associate doctors that can handle 95% of all cases, prescribe medicine and work for $50k/yr. A doctors visit goes from $300 to $50 cash for 30 minutes of consultation. There is no reason my dr needs a 9 year degree and $300 to listen to me tell him which medications to prescribe for me." === A good point, actually. We have become lazy whiners who expect medicine to save us from ourselves. The system promotes too many specialists and not enough family medicine. Why? Because the system drives money to the specialties. The system needs reform, but it's difficult, to say the least. That's why it took 100 years to make a political move on the issue. This will work over time and it will be modified. The chances of health care reform being repealed? Nearly zero.

Richard Heckler 3 years, 5 months ago

The losers if Sam Brownback gets his way will be those with pre-existing conditions and parents who want to keep their children covered until age 26.

All other insured consumers lose because the medical insurance industry saw fit to increase the cost of premiums EVEN MORE using those two situations.

The medical insurance industry would have increased the rates no matter what because that is what they do best.

Yes the medical insurance industry has important items to maintain such as $73 million retirement bonus aka golden parachutes for the CIGNA CEO. Not great use of medical insurance dollars.

Then the medical insurance industry must support their fraud clause not written into their policies it's just understood: Thursday, June 25, 2009

Health insurers have forced consumers to pay billions of dollars in medical bills that the insurers themselves should have paid, according to a report released yesterday by the staff of the Senate Commerce Committee.

Insurers make paperwork confusing because "they realize that people will just simply give up and not pursue it" if they think they have been shortchanged, Potter said.

More on this story: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/06/24/AR2009062401636.html

Brendon Allen 3 years, 5 months ago

Part 2

I don't tell this story to elicit sympathy I tell it to show you why the system is broke. The other issue for me now is I am very entrepreneurial and had started a couple companies before I was diagnosed with cancer. However due to my preexisting condition my ability to take risk and possibly start another business is severely constrained. I basically have to go from insurance to insurance with no gaps or I will be denied (yes there is Cobra but still). If I try and get private insurance I will be denied. So I am captive. I cannot easily do what I want to do which seems very uncapitalistic for you republicans out there (I am independent but republicans always talk about how the current system provides choice, it does not for someone like me). Before you reply (if you even made it this far) that there is x and y way, yeah maybe there is but it is not easy and not guaranteed.

I don't know the true answer to all of this. I like the idea of out of pocket (cash only) for small and routine visits but required catastrophic coverage to do what insurance was made to do, spread risk across a diverse population, something it does not do with pre-existing clauses. A lot like car insurance. If I get into something small I pay for it out of pocket but If I get totaled I submit it to insurance. This would help limit the frequency of people who take advantage of insurance for non-necessary visits but cover situations like mine. And yes yes I know it is not a right to drive a car and the two are different but I think the same model would work.

to close after all my rambling, Brownback should not waste tax payer money fighting this unless he has alternatives which I have never seen him elaborate on. Reforming something that is flawed, but the best chance at a start of real reform in decades, is a better option that going backwards as Brownback would like us to do.

Brendon Allen 3 years, 5 months ago

This is what gets me about politicians in general. What is your alternative??? What is YOUR plan??? It is very easy to blast the president for trying to fix a broke system but what is your option? More of the same thing that has seen healthcare cost blow out and will soon account for 1/4 of the GDP? Is the legislation flawed? You betcha, it does not look at the cost side of things and does not look at things like tort reform etc. Is it a comprise that was the only thing that would pass? yes. But this is not an entirely bad thing. The ONE good thing congress does is take a bill that has things broken and fix it over time. Yeah it might not be the radical reform we need but it will get there and somebody had to start it.

The problem was the president did not sell it well and to get some consensus, even with the dems, had to lose some of the things that would help reign costs in. But before you repeal things you better have alternatives and keep the parts they got right. So you don't like being required to purchase insurance? Great then you also have to get rid of the non-exclusion on pre-existing conditions or else you have a real moral hazard from people being free riders. Why would I get insurance until I got cancer? They can't exclude me when I get so why not wait??? All those on this forum that say they don't have insurance because they pay for themselves, good for you until you get anything more serious than bronchitis.

I have had insurance for all but two weeks of my life. I had it through my parents, through school, and through work. I went overseas and had it there (public and private). I had just returned home from 4 years overseas and had a US doctor look at what was diagnosed overseas as a tendon pull on my right ankle right before I left to move back to the US. I had not started my job in the US so I was not covered (even if I had been it would not have kicked in for 90 days) but I thought hey this will not be much so who cares. That tendon pull was osteosarcoma (bone cancer). I had never had any hospital stay in my life and here I was finally needing to use all I paid into insurance and I had none. No one should have to feel as helpless as I felt. Over the next few months I racked up almost 200K in hospital and oncology bills. fortunately at that time Kansas High Risk Insurance kicked in (if you are denied by 3 insurance companies, which with cancer as pre-existing was easy, they state had to cover you albeit at a very high rate). I thank god for this program it saved me from bankruptcy. Kansas is in the minority of the states to have it (Seibielus did it). Fortunately I was in a position to have a family that could pay the almost 85K in bills before the insurance kicked in (it is amazing how much you can talk the bills down if you can actually pay) but I would have to think I am the exception.

pace 3 years, 5 months ago

Republican party of change, less government, richer insurance companies. We should trust the insurance companies. They have a heart, they would never keep you from the health care you need. They would never take your home and savings and then still leave you up the creek. They have a heart. It is a small child's heart and they keep it in a jar in the boardroom.

sweatybutcher 3 years, 5 months ago

Sam Brownback now has government health care.

deathpenaltyliberal 3 years, 5 months ago

On this Veterans Day, it should be noted that Brownback wants to fight health care reform, but couldn't be bothered to serve in the armed forces to fight our real enemies.

bobberboy 3 years, 5 months ago

kill the medical insurance companies and save us all alot of money !!

Agnostick 3 years, 5 months ago

"Attacking The Health Law: The GOP's Confusing And Incompatible Arguments" Jonathan Cohn, Senior Editor of The New Republic Nov 08, 2010 [This column is a collaboration between KHN and The New Republic .]

Money quote:

"Consider what undoing the cuts in Medicare would entail. It would start, first of all, with restoring higher payments to the insurers that provide private coverage for people in Medicare, through what's known as the Medicare Advantage plans. There's a reason the health law reduces those payments: Repeated independent studies, including those by the well-respected Medicare Payment Advisory Commission, determined that the government was paying the insurers too much.

"Restore those payments, and you're wasting taxpayer dollars. And a lot of those wasted dollars will go to hiring new people to work at insurance companies. They won't be government bureaucrats, obviously. They'll be insurance company bureaucrats. But is that really better? Is the Tea Party in favor of waste as long as its lines the pockets of insurance executives rather than Uncle Sam?"

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That last sentece, to me, is most telling.

Remember who is driving the Teabaggers?

Kochlettes, anyone?

Read the full column here:

Sadly, we probably threw the baby out with the bath water two years ago...

ylime3499 3 years, 5 months ago

Why do people feel they're entitled to health insurance? Good jobs? Money? Get over it! It's only life no one makes it out alive, and even if you work as hard as you can and still don't acquire whatever your goal was ... tough! Sure get upset/bummed when things don’t go your way, but again it’s life!

pfunk81 3 years, 5 months ago

I hate you all and hope bad things happen to you.

MyName 3 years, 5 months ago

It's a good thing that the Insurance commissioner is the only one who can really do anything to gum up the works. And Kansas has a good one who is a separately elected official.

Agnostick 3 years, 5 months ago

Quote:

"We want to get on with it," Corbin said. "We think that's the way it's going to be even if there are other changes in the legislation going forward. There's been a lot of controversy -repeal, not repeal, modify, eliminate, a lot of those kinds of things -but right now it's the law of the land and we'll have to deal with those changes as they come forward and we'd rather get on with it."

Source:

Blue Cross officials say "sooner is better" on health reform regulations Next phases of implementing the law await federal rule writing By Mike Shields KHI News Service Oct. 27, 2010 http://www.khi.org/news/2010/oct/27/blue-cross-officials-say-sooner-better-health-refo/

MacHeath 3 years, 5 months ago

Keep fear alive, Brownback! We all know medical care cost need to be controlled in some way. We all know that everyone should have access to whatever healthcare they require, and should be able to afford it. Denial of that sort of healthcare is just plain cruel. So-called "Obama care" is the first time I have seen anyone actually try to get something started. It was just a start. A attempt to get the ball rolling, by forcing us to deal with these issues. Just dismissing what has already been done does not help the situation. What the hell is Brownback going to do to address these issues? He, and the rest of the GOP need to start being productive, instead of riding on the coat-tails of fear generated by the media.

beatrice 3 years, 5 months ago

I want to see Republicans running on an anti-health care platform.

Are you ill? Too bad! Got a sick kid? Tough! Got a pre-existing condition and can't get insurance? So what! Want to keep your children on your family health plan beyond age 18? We don't care -- we're Republicans! We already have our own coverage, and screw you if you don't! We're Republicans!

amesn 3 years, 5 months ago

Easy answer-Yes! Poor people, and by Sam Brownback standards meaning an annual income of less than $250,000, scare the heck out of him. How can people live like that? Driving 10 year old cars, shopping for clothes at JcPenney or Old Navy, treating themselves a couple times a month to a nice meal at Applebees or Chili's, living in their 3br 2ba houses....uggghh...how do they stand it? Incomprehensible!

voevoda 3 years, 5 months ago

Brownback needs to talk with Sandy Praeger, our Kansas Insurance Commissioner, before doing anything about the Federal health insurance reform. She was quoted in the LJW saying something to the effect that the reform benefited a lot of Kansas, even though it isn't perfect. Why would Brownback want to spend a lot of money the state doesn't have to fight a Federal program that's helps thousands upon thousands of ordinary people right here? Does he care more about the mega-rich Koch types than he does about the rest of us?

Gandalf 3 years, 5 months ago

The same people who voted for 8 years of Bush voted in Brownback. Does anyone really expect good results?

somemisfits 3 years, 5 months ago

And we vow to fight against Sam Brownback!

bobberboy 3 years, 5 months ago

i wish this guy would have stayed in dc where he could just hide out - instead of coming back to kansas.

bobberboy 3 years, 5 months ago

this fist banging christain would'nt want to be caught helping the poor with their health care !!

CorkyHundley 3 years, 5 months ago

LISTEN TO DOCTOR CHANG......

Q: Doctor, I've heard that cardiovascular exercise can prolong life. Is this true? A: Your heart only good for so many beats, and that it... Don't waste on exercise. Everything wear out eventually. Speeding up heart not make you live longer; it like saying you extend life of car by driving faster. Want to live longer? Take nap.

Q: Should I reduce my alcohol intake?
A: No, not at all. Wine made from fruit. Brandy is distilled wine, that mean they take water out of fruity bit so you get even more of goodness that way. Beer also made of grain. Bottom up!

Q: How can I calculate my body/fat ratio? A: Well, if you have body and you have fat, your ratio one to one. If you have two bodies, your ratio two to one, etc.

Q: What are some of the advantages of participating in a regular exercise program? A: Can't think of single one, sorry. My philosophy is: No pain...good!

Q: Aren't fried foods bad for you?
A: YOU NOT LISTENING! Food are fried these day in vegetable oil. In fact, they permeated by it. How could getting more vegetable be bad for you?!?

Q: Will sit-ups help prevent me from getting a little soft around the middle? A: Definitely not! When you exercise muscle, it get bigger. You should only be doing sit-up if you want bigger stomach.

Q: Is chocolate bad for me?
A: Are you crazy?!? HEL-LO-O!! Cocoa bean! Another vegetable! It best feel-good food around!

Q: Is swimming good for your figure?
A: If swimming good for your figure, explain whale to me..

Q: Is getting in shape important for my lifestyle?
A: Hey! 'Round' is shape!
Well... I hope this has cleared up any misconceptions you may have had about food and diets.

And remember:

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"

AND.....

For those of you who watch what you eat, here's the final word on nutrition and health. It's a relief to know the truth after all those conflicting nutritional studies.

1. The Japanese eat very little fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

2. The Mexicans eat a lot of fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

3. The Chinese drink very little red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

4. The Italians drink a lot of red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans..

5. The Germans drink a lot of beer and eat lots of sausages and fats and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

CONCLUSION: Eat and drink what you like. Speaking English is apparently what kills you.

autie 3 years, 5 months ago

I've been paying premiums through the nose for a lot of years and still only one half a step away. One bad accident, one major illness...bingo can't work, lose insurance...game set match. Cobra? ha...tell me another one. Only in America (as far as modern industrial nations go) do we let sick people die for lack of treatment because they can't pay the cost of it. Only in America are the health care companies allowed to rape the common working man at will. But..hey, we're 37....or is it 39 now?

lounger 3 years, 5 months ago

Oy! Here we go. Scary Sammy is not going to fix anything just oppose Obama. Lame, Tired and Old!

Butterflies 3 years, 5 months ago

I feel so sad that there are so many out of the healthcare loop. Here take my money. I'm not Islamic or Christian but I feel so sad for you. Here take my money. I want to take care of all of you if I can.

I hope that Obama spreads China's wealth while in South Korea today. It will help pay for everybody's healthcare here.

texburgh 3 years, 5 months ago

Terrific! If he is successful we can get my working 23 year old off my plan and make sure he gets his health care by visiting emergency rooms since his employer offers no health insurance. Give those insuance bureaucrats back the right to refuse coverage for pre-mature infants and their "pre-existing conditions." Give them back the right to cap my coverage so I can declare bankruptcy or lose my house should my spouse or I contract a devastating illness such as cancer. We can restore the Medicare donut whole so we can drive up costs for seniors. This is what I love about our compassionate conservatives!

amesn 3 years, 5 months ago

Tom-not everyone who is not insured or underinsured sits back and says 'I'm gonna just let Tom take care of it for me' oh wait-do you pay income taxes? Anyways...I have found that in life at some point everyone needs a little help no matter what. Should we not have federal grants for financial aide to go to college because 'everyone needs to pay their own way.' I am sick of the complete lack of compassion from people like Sam Brownback and observing them be more focused on opposing anything the Obama administration does then actually have to come up with better solutions on their own. Many of the repubs entire campaigns this year consisted only of them putting down Obama, rather than formulating ideas for better solutions. A few years ago I quit my job to take care of my grandma who was on hospice and dying of cancer. I of course could not afford COBRA so I was left uninsured for awhile. My husband-a stay at home dad, has also found himself uninsured from time to time when we have been unable to afford 'affordablue' for him or the policy offered through my job. He works hard too and I feel deserves to have healthcare, unfortunately a basic health care plan can still be quite pricey.

Adrienne Sanders 3 years, 5 months ago

I don't know how you can look at actual people who are suffering and tell them no, I do not want you to have health care. It's just astonishing. If you don't like Obama's plan, come up with a better one, but do something productive, not destructive.

cowboy 3 years, 5 months ago

293,000 Kansans are uninsured , you're a heck of a guy Sam !

Fighting health care reform will guarantee this number will only grow should you succeed. While the bill will not insure all , the reforms will get many of the uninsured on coverage soften the blow to state coffers currently getting hit with an average 0f 4.2 billion in un-recovered health care costs by getting a portion of this population into programs. It doesn't insure everyone and is not free . In Kansas the state high risk pool is about a $1000 per month for an individual and the federal pool about 5-600 .

And Sam , I'm confident that once sworn in you will relinquish all federal benefits you are receiving , stop receiving any farm subsidies in your family , return all campaign contributions from special interests , turn down any corporate trips or money , and be the man of the people and double dipping is just plain socialist.

Because we all know you are as pure as the driven snow.....yeah right.

Butterflies 3 years, 5 months ago

When the last of the grandmas and grandpas tip over, Obamacare will be able to afford the 30 or 40 million extra people that so desperately need medical attention funded by others.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 5 months ago

Of course, he'll do absolutely nothing to fix the problems of the healthcare system. That would actually requiring giving a damn about anyone but the Koch Brothers, et al.

Bob_Keeshan 3 years, 5 months ago

Brownback also told Fox News that suing over the health care lawsuit was "symbolic".

Nothing like spending taxpayer dollars on symbolism. Always funny to see people who like to talk about government waste while at the same time begging for more symbolic gestures.

JackRipper 3 years, 5 months ago

I agree, we must stop this mooching so I hope Brownback ends research by the government in biosciences, cuts KU Med Center and Pharmacy programs, cuts programs at the universities that can be used later by people in the medical fields. The government should get out of the flu shot business, just because it isn't profitable for corporations to do it isn't any reason to try and stop epidemics, that's no role for government money and instead the gov should continue to pour money where it benefits the fat cats like road building.

Tom Shewmon 3 years, 5 months ago

How many hours a day do you spend watching Fox News, grammaddy? I'm betting zero, if I get an honest answer. And why do you think the world owes you a darned thing? Democrats are trying to bamboozle their base. Here's an idea; stop expecting everyone else to foot your bills.

topflight 3 years, 5 months ago

Thanks Sam. That is why most of Kansas voted for you. Guess the rest of you will just have to move on.

Liberty_One 3 years, 5 months ago

Health care is too important to let the government run it.

usnsnp 3 years, 5 months ago

Is it not funny that a person who has been on the government dole for more than 20 years is against health insurance for those that do not have it, or are underinsured. As a person in Congress the tax payers payed 75% of his and his family's health insurance, while in Congress thers were Doctors, Medical Tec. and Nurses standing by for instant medical emergancies, and for an extra 300 a month he could get basic medical examinations, X-rays etc. at his office without taking off time from his job. Of course he had to have these benifits, he could not handle his medical expenses on his 175,000 wages a year.

grammaddy 3 years, 5 months ago

Here's a clue Brownback. An appearance on Faux Noise will not garner any respect from the people you were elected by.But I expected this since Faux's parent company gave a million dollars to the Republican Governor's Association during your campaign. Good luck fighting health care reform. Even Boehner is backing away from that one. I want to watch you tell the parents of the kids with pre-existing conditions that you're revoking their health insurance.