Archive for Wednesday, November 10, 2010

KU wants to make “Jayhawk Generations” tuition waiver permanent

November 10, 2010

— Kansas University wants the Jayhawks Generations legacy tuition discount to be permanent.

The scholarship program was designed to encourage out-of-state freshmen whose parents or grandparents are KU graduates to enroll at KU.

In the plan, a qualifying student receives a 12 percent tuition discount from the out-of-state student rate if the student received an ACT score of 26 to 29. Students scoring 30 or higher receive a 20 percent discount.

The Kansas Board of Regents approved the program on a temporary basis for the fall of 2009.

The regents will consider KU’s request at its meeting next week.

KU has 123 students in the Jayhawk Generations program.

Comments

bd 4 years, 7 months ago

What about a break for the Kansas kids whose parents support KU with their tax $'s ??????

Evan Ridenour 4 years, 7 months ago

That is what the resident tuition rate is for..................

George_Braziller 4 years, 7 months ago

How about a break for Kansas kids who are paying tuition out of their own pockets? Not everyone one has a rich mommy and daddy. I'm a fifth generation Kansan and even though I was paying my own way and had good grades I didn't get any financial assistance from KU.

It took me five years to complete a four year program because I had to work 20-30 hours a week during the school year, and full-time during the summer, spring break, and winter break to pay for my living expenses, tuition, and text books.

George_Braziller 4 years, 7 months ago

I wasn't looking for a handout, all I needed was a $2,000 student loan to get me through the first year. KU turned me down flat because I was told my parents made "too much money" and it didn't make a difference that I was paying for my own education.

Stuart Evans 4 years, 7 months ago

me too, but sending them all to college isn't going to help anyone but the college.

Derek Broksieck 4 years, 7 months ago

She could have applied for scholarships had she not gone to a CC first. Smart move on going to a CC though. I think all students should go to CC for the first 2 years.

akhmatova 4 years, 7 months ago

This is (at most) a 20% discount for students who should already be getting big scholarships if you have an ACT above 30. Nonresident tuition is almost triple resident tuition, so what's to complain about? The whole strategy of the scholarship is to make excellent out of state students who are legacy and may be on the fence between KU and other schools shift our direction.

Derek Broksieck 4 years, 7 months ago

Triple? No. The cost of attendance for an in-state freshman with the four year locked in rate is 20,700. The four year locked in rate for an out of state freshman is 33,072.

fossilhunter 4 years, 7 months ago

That's the all-in cost of attending. Room, board, etc The Generations reduction is only on tuition. In-state tuition $3037/semester; Non-resident $10,340/semester. So yes, it's triple.

Derek Broksieck 4 years, 7 months ago

3864 for in-state and 10,050 for out of state*** A little bit less than triple. Then again, some schools at KU charge extra(business, education, etc).

Dan Thalmann 4 years, 7 months ago

I don't see it as a problem. And I don't see why the regents have to approve it.

sad_lawrencian 4 years, 7 months ago

First, DUMP the ACT. This is a stupid test that many other states don't use. Adopt the SAT and join the rest of the civilized world. Second, kill this percentage thing and just allow "legacy" out-of-state students attend KU for the in-state tuition rate. Problem solved.

TopJayhawk 4 years, 7 months ago

whine on brothers and sisters of Larry town.

Robert Rauktis 4 years, 7 months ago

Sounds like there are 123 examples to exhibit the math gains and losses. What would those be? What's the present cost at 123?

Richard Heckler 4 years, 7 months ago

How about a Williams Fund for the financially challenged yet academically driven?

fossilhunter 4 years, 7 months ago

My kid is one of the 123 and it sure helped make the dream of another generation wearing the Crimson and Blue a reality. All the neighboring states offer similar programs. What's the problem with bringing bright kids that should have a better than average chance of graduating to Kansas vs. Missouri?

Jock Navels 4 years, 7 months ago

the program should be maintained...sad lawrencian's ideas are good ones...the program should be monitored over the years...do these graduates stay in kansas and help the state grow, pay taxes, sit on community boards, run for office and so forth...do they contribute to KU endowment funds, scholarship funds? if the answer proves to be that the discount now is an investment for the state and university that has a positive return over time...then continue the program...

Jayhawks1985 4 years, 7 months ago

I'm a Jayhawk living in Texas my son was determined to be a Jayhawk also. The problem is he is an average student one they are not dying to have so we will be in debt with college loans for years just to a fullfill a crazy dream of graduating from Kansas.
The programs not helping us at all I know we didn't pay Kansas taxes but while he's there he's contributing to Kansas economy I wish they would include even the average kids that might stay in Kansas.