Archive for Tuesday, November 9, 2010

SUV pursued in chase down Sixth Street

November 9, 2010, 1:51 a.m. Updated November 9, 2010, 7:33 a.m.

Kansas Turnpike Authority officers pursued a red SUV through north Lawrence and later westbound on Sixth Street early Tuesday morning.

The suspect, a 38-year-old Kansas City, Mo., man was booked into the Douglas County Jail on charges of eluding police, driving while intoxicated, driving while suspended, reckless driving, transporting an open container of alcohol and driving with a suspended license.

He was also booked into jail on a warrant for failing to appear in court in Johnson County in a drug possession case.

According to Douglas County emergency dispatchers, the car drove south over the Kansas River bridge and then went west on Sixth Street about 1:45 a.m. Officers pursued the driver, who was traveling at speeds up to 80 miles per hour while passing Iowa Street.

The SUV slowed and stopped at Rockledge Rd.

Comments

Ron Holzwarth 7 years, 5 months ago

The driver of the red SUV must be dumb as can be, and not care at all about anyone that very well might have been seriously injured or killed by his stupid action of trying to outrun the cops.

I suppose it is possible that there are car chases where the driver got away, but if that is the case, the LJWorld is suppressing those stories. But, I don't believe that is true, so it seems to me that no one gets away.

All a cop has to do is radio for backup, and more cops will be waiting to go after you, and they're giong to chase you too! So, you're begging for trouble, and so the cops will give you trouble since you want it so badly. Although they are hoping that it will just be a routine traffic stop when they pull over a car, every time.

I had a conversation with a retired police officer not long ago. He told me there had been many times where he pulled someone over fully intending to give the driver only a verbal or written warning, and then the driver started arguing with him and calling him stupid. So, he just wrote a ticket, and let him carry on his arguments with a judge.

It's so very easy to get away. Here's how to do it:

Have your driver's license, registration, and proof of insurance in your car, be sure all your lights work, follow all the traffic laws as closely as you can, and don't have any illegal items in your car.

If you are pulled over, be polite to the cop, and don't ever argue with him or her. Be very quick to give him permission to search your car. He's just doing his job, and it's not an easy one.

But if you do all that, you'll probably never be pulled over anyway. And if you are, you'll just be issued a warning. That's my experience, anyway.

Ron Holzwarth 7 years, 5 months ago

Oh, I forgot one more thing you have to do:

Be sober when you drive!

maxcrabb 7 years, 5 months ago

If someone does everything you say, why should they let a cop search their car?

I understand being nice, and having your car in compliance with all laws, but all citizens are protected against unreasonable searches. If you do all listed above, the cop has no reason to search the car. A simple, "I do not consent to a search." and you can be on your way.

Just curios. Do you insist the cop search your car every time you're pulled over?

Ron Holzwarth 7 years, 5 months ago

No, I don't insist, but on the one occasion when I was asked, I saw no reason to say no.

Many years later, during my conversation with that ex police officer, he made it very clear that it's very easy to "find proboable cause." He said it's just about as easy to do as simply writing a traffic citation, then after that if the driver refuses a search, he has "probable cause" anyway.

Would you like a traffic citation with your search, maxcrabb?

maxcrabb 7 years, 5 months ago

Having a tail light out or out of date registration is not 'probable cause'.

Here is an excerpt from a source as reliable as your ex p.o.

"The Supreme Court ruled in Knowles v. Iowa that police cannot search a driver or passengers after ticketing them for routine traffic violations. In its decision, the Court said that a traffic violation is not an "arrest." Police officers' ability to conduct searches is limited so you would not be in their custody. The probable cause argument is also diluted in this case. Ticketing you for turning right at a red light does not give an officer probable cause to search you or your car. Traffic violations are not inherently connected to any other criminal activity. This voids a claim of "reasonable suspicion" on the officer's part."

I certainly believe after ticketing someone, a police officer may have an easier time getting consent. But a routine traffic infraction is not reasonable enough to warrant a search.

Not saying it doesn't happen, but also not saying it's admissible in court.

Erin Graham 7 years, 5 months ago

I wish I would have known about this case 9 years ago! I was dropping a friend off at their car at a park in a small rural KS town, when a local police officer pulled behind my parked car and wanted to search it. I'd never had a traffic violation, I'd never touched drugs or alcohol and as far as I know none of my friends did either. I agreed to the search because I knew they wouldn't find anything besides a messy car and I thought it would make it look like I was hiding something if I didn't agree.
It didn't bother me except for feeling accused of something I wasn't doing and never gave anyone reason to think I was. Plus I got in trouble for missing curfew. I had a compact car, but they tore it up back to front looking for whatever they were looking for. To give the officer credit, that was a popular hang out for high school students. The odds of them eventually finding someone with something of interest in their car was pretty high.

filmmaker06 7 years, 5 months ago

I was pulled over on k10 while going 70mph and the officer said my windows were too dark, ok that fine i didn't know i'll fix it. I look nervous which i thought was a common reaction to being pulled over. Call in another officer, pull me out of my car and demand to search it, odd but ok, pulling every single item out of my back pack and throwing it around, starting to get stupid. Patting me down on the side of the high way after finding nothing still, move on you didn't get a drug bust, 45 mins out of my day and lost of participation grade in class, how am i being protected and not investigated.

Ron Holzwarth 7 years, 5 months ago

The correct grammer and spelling is: "Essen mein Scheisse."

jayhawklawrence 7 years, 5 months ago

I just want to express my appreciation to the police for not beating the hell out of the driver which is something that I would have wanted to do.

It takes a special quality of character to be a law enforcement officer.

Everytime I pull out of the Target and onto 31st street I remember the lady who was broadsided and killed by a similar driver.

I don't know what I would do if some creep ran into one of my family members. We need to be extremely tough on these people and put the fear of God back into them, not coddle them.

aa469285 7 years, 5 months ago

Seems to me the bigger story here is that there is a red SUV that can drive itself. And apparently, has a wild side.

Flap Doodle 7 years, 5 months ago

Bring out your dead (horses)! Bring out your dead (horses)!

doc1 7 years, 5 months ago

BlackVelvet 7 years, 5 months ago

Munsoned 7 years, 5 months ago

But, in this case it was Kansas Turnpike Authority.

Steve Bunch 7 years, 5 months ago

The article says the guy was driving while suspended, but it doesn't say what he was suspended from. Details, we need details!

drnater 7 years, 5 months ago

I would never just "let" a cop search my car. We have laws that permit me to do that, if your just letting em search then you a. have to much time on your hands, or b. have no common knowledge of the law.

Nikki May 7 years, 5 months ago

I agree. You CAN be polite without giving up your rights. Even if you have nothing to hide, you still say no.

EarthaKitt 7 years, 5 months ago

I agree. While I'm on board with everything else -- having your driver's license/insurance, being polite, following the laws -- if I'm pulled over for some traffic violation (I've been known to roll through a stop) I'm definitely not going to authorize a search of my car. I'm old and boring and have nothing to hide, but I think I'd decline (very politely) that request. Maybe it would cost me a warning, but it's the principle of the thing.

That being said, my experience with the LPD has never been anything but good, and I wouldn't expect they'd ask to search me.

ashamedofyou 7 years, 5 months ago

or c...you have nothing to hide? Why would you intentionally be difficult if you didn't have anything to worry about?

ashamedofyou 7 years, 5 months ago

if you've been stopped more than likely you've done something wrong. I can't say every single time but more than likely. They don't search a vehicle at every car stop either. If the police asked to look in my house, sure, I would let them because there would obviously be a reason.

I was at walmart when I was younger and when I went to leave they stopped me and asked to look in my purse because I matched the description of someone shoplifting, I let them look, I was innocent and therefore after a quick peek, i got to leave.

You anti-police people need to get a life. They are not all "out to get the innocent". It's not a department full of corruption. They're doing their job, just like anyone else. Why is it so hard just to cooperate?

evilpenguin 7 years, 5 months ago

Especially when you can waste 5 minutes arguing because you won't just let the guy search your car.

blindrabbit 7 years, 5 months ago

Just trying to get back to Topuka before to 2 a.m. currfew.

cabella 7 years, 5 months ago

So can somebody here please explain to me why this headline, "SUV pursued in chase down Sixth Street", and many other articles about car chases and accidents make it sound like there is no driver in these vehicles? It is not just happening her locally either. There are articles and headlines like this all over the nation. What is going on?

somebodynew 7 years, 5 months ago

cabella - I don't know for sure, but my guess is that while the pursuit is going on, they have no idea who (male, female, etc) is driving. Obviously there is one, but it is the vehicle that is being pursued - otherwise it would be a foot pursuit.

Shane Garrett 7 years, 5 months ago

The liberal media is out to label all SUV's as a dangerous vehicle. As in "SUV kills owner."

RoeDapple 7 years, 5 months ago

Funny how the ones who live on the edge (or just over it) are the ones who don't trust the law.

Rae Hudspeth 7 years, 5 months ago

Ron, I'm afraid that there are chases that aren't reported and the driver gets away on foot. One happened at 3 in the afternoon down Lawrence Ave and ended up in our front yard. The driver had hit another car along the way. The officers left a note on our door asking us to call them if we had seen anything. We were at work and if it hadn't been for the note, we'd have had no idea that our front yard was a crime scene.

DrRustinMcGillicuddy 7 years, 5 months ago

That was me, my car was was hit on 6th and Lawremce Ave. and I chased the guy to there. Very sorry to have you involved.

drnater 7 years, 5 months ago

Im by no means against the law, I just don't understand why you would just let a cop search your car without probable cause. I don't have the time to exit my vehicle, wait for the officer to go through all the stuff in my car, just to tell me im fine. Its completely different than leaving wal-mart, they take a whole 2 seconds to look in a purse, where as it usually takes time for a citation it takes extra time for them to search.

greenworld 7 years, 5 months ago

So is driving while suspended and driving with a suspended license two separate charges or is this the JW typing something twice??

RiverCityConservative 7 years, 5 months ago

Must have been really high to be levitating while driving.