Archive for Sunday, November 7, 2010

Man’s wallet stolen as he was on way home from downtown

November 7, 2010

A Lawrence man was robbed near Seventh and Massachusetts streets about 1 a.m. Sunday while on his way home. According to police, the victim claims he was jumped from behind by two men, who beat him up and stole his wallet.

The police department does not have any suspects in the case.

Comments

Smarmy_Schoolmarm 3 years, 5 months ago

Just for the record...it was 7th and Mississippi. The paper never bothered to correct itself so all the brouhaha is for naught.

Mr_B9 3 years, 5 months ago

No one wants to be victimized so I suggest we all own a FMG9.

Kat Christian 3 years, 5 months ago

Why is he walking alone at that hour of night to begin with. He should have just put a sign on his back saying PLEASE Rob ME. This is Lawrence, not Utopia and there is crime here, everywhere. So why set yourself up for being a victim in the first place. DUH! I do hope he is alright though. I hope in the future he takes more precautions.

ralphralph 3 years, 5 months ago

Sheesh! I'm thinking they meant the guy was headed home, even though he still was downtown. It's not that deep. Could it have been more artfully written? Yeppers. Worth arguing about? Nopers.

blindrabbit 3 years, 5 months ago

What time is the curfew in Topeka!

50YearResident 3 years, 5 months ago

As long as we are just speculating because of lack of details, maybe "Home" was under the Mass. Street Bridge.

cntrygrl 3 years, 5 months ago

You guys can be real morons sometimes. Why is that a victim is ALWAYS under suspiscion? I was attacked on Labor Day at Midnight in 2004. I didn't call the cops because all I could tell them was that the person was black. How did I know that? He had black hands and a black nose. He had a hoodie on and the hood was pulled very tight around his face. If it hadn't been for the street light, I wouldn't even know that. I also think it was a guy, because when he grabbed me and spun me around, I racked him. He went down and I started screaming. He hobbled off while I went in my home and locked the doors.

My mom called the police the next day because of the bruises I had on my arms. I felt like an idiot telling the police about his nose and hands. But, that was all I could see.

This all happened in less than probably 10 seconds. Now, can one of you oh-so-uberintelligent people tell me how it's my fault that I couldn't give a better description?

PebblesFlintstone 3 years, 5 months ago

Or maybe he wasn't "robbed" at all and spent all of the rent or bill money at the bars, or was drunk and lost his wallet. Jumped from behind with no description of suspects and beat up with no description of any injuries or he refused treatment or any of the standard phrases? I'm suspicious of this tale.

akhmatova 3 years, 5 months ago

Does everyone always have to be so contrary? Maybe he was going through the alleyway behind 7th and Mass or was going along 7th street towards Vermont, where it's much more dimly lit and less populated.

kernal 3 years, 5 months ago

Then there was the phrase "jumped from behind". As in he did't get a good look or only heard their voices, thus identified them as males.

Jimo 3 years, 5 months ago

How are you "on your way home from downtown" when you are at 7th & Mass? Can you be more "downtown" than 7th & Mass? Maybe police should consider they're not getting the whole story from a guy who claims to be "on his way home from downtown" while standing at downtown's Ground Zero.

50YearResident 3 years, 5 months ago

There is a lack of information here. If this guy was beat up and robbed by two people, the least the article should include is a description of the suspects. If the victim can count to two (robbers), then he should be able to identify features of the perpertraters so any witnesses that may have been in the area could help catch them.