Archive for Sunday, November 7, 2010

Man’s wallet stolen as he was on way home from downtown

November 7, 2010

A Lawrence man was robbed near Seventh and Massachusetts streets about 1 a.m. Sunday while on his way home. According to police, the victim claims he was jumped from behind by two men, who beat him up and stole his wallet.

The police department does not have any suspects in the case.

Comments

50YearResident 4 years, 1 month ago

There is a lack of information here. If this guy was beat up and robbed by two people, the least the article should include is a description of the suspects. If the victim can count to two (robbers), then he should be able to identify features of the perpertraters so any witnesses that may have been in the area could help catch them.

sandrat83 4 years, 1 month ago

No joke. Maybe the lazy lpd did not care to ask?

sentinel4820 4 years, 1 month ago

whats_going_on 4 years, 1 month ago

(you're)

before someone mean gets to it.

Jimo 4 years, 1 month ago

How are you "on your way home from downtown" when you are at 7th & Mass? Can you be more "downtown" than 7th & Mass? Maybe police should consider they're not getting the whole story from a guy who claims to be "on his way home from downtown" while standing at downtown's Ground Zero.

puddleglum 4 years, 1 month ago

maybe he lives at on that block, above the stores in the apartments?

kernal 4 years, 1 month ago

Then there was the phrase "jumped from behind". As in he did't get a good look or only heard their voices, thus identified them as males.

akhmatova 4 years, 1 month ago

Does everyone always have to be so contrary? Maybe he was going through the alleyway behind 7th and Mass or was going along 7th street towards Vermont, where it's much more dimly lit and less populated.

PebblesFlintstone 4 years, 1 month ago

Or maybe he wasn't "robbed" at all and spent all of the rent or bill money at the bars, or was drunk and lost his wallet. Jumped from behind with no description of suspects and beat up with no description of any injuries or he refused treatment or any of the standard phrases? I'm suspicious of this tale.

cntrygrl 4 years, 1 month ago

You guys can be real morons sometimes. Why is that a victim is ALWAYS under suspiscion? I was attacked on Labor Day at Midnight in 2004. I didn't call the cops because all I could tell them was that the person was black. How did I know that? He had black hands and a black nose. He had a hoodie on and the hood was pulled very tight around his face. If it hadn't been for the street light, I wouldn't even know that. I also think it was a guy, because when he grabbed me and spun me around, I racked him. He went down and I started screaming. He hobbled off while I went in my home and locked the doors.

My mom called the police the next day because of the bruises I had on my arms. I felt like an idiot telling the police about his nose and hands. But, that was all I could see.

This all happened in less than probably 10 seconds. Now, can one of you oh-so-uberintelligent people tell me how it's my fault that I couldn't give a better description?

DillonBarnes 4 years, 1 month ago

I agree with you that a lot of people in here instantly become suspicious of the victim. However, it's okay to call the police with these incidents. Even if there are no direct outcomes from you incident, that report will be logged and help LPD determine where they are needed.

My car got egged a few years ago from another apartment, I was ticked off but didn't want to bother the police on a Saturday night over eggs. I took my car to get washed and moved on. When I arrived back I saw an officer sitting outside my building talking with some people. Assuming it was other people who had been egged, I went up and let him know mine was as well. He came up and told me not to hesitate to call in incidents like this. The police report helps build a record against that apartment, meaning they can actually do something if the behavior continues, rather than it turning into a "he does this all the time, I just don't have proof."

Not exactly the same, but I hope you get my point. Though calling the police might not actually help you specifically, it can have a big impact on the police department's actions to prevent these incidents.

kernal 4 years, 1 month ago

Nice attempt at intimidation and spoken like a true bully.

DillonBarnes 4 years, 1 month ago

50YearResident 4 years, 1 month ago

whats_going_on 4 years, 1 month ago

since when was this done by someone who disliked him, and not some random jack*ss?

You say some pretty messed up stuff, but this has to be one of the worst. It makes me wonder if you're just a troll, or if you're actually this delusional.

LadyJ 4 years, 1 month ago

How does reporting a crime make someone a snitch? Makes us wonder why you would not want people to report crimes.

50YearResident 4 years, 1 month ago

As long as we are just speculating because of lack of details, maybe "Home" was under the Mass. Street Bridge.

ralphralph 4 years, 1 month ago

Sheesh! I'm thinking they meant the guy was headed home, even though he still was downtown. It's not that deep. Could it have been more artfully written? Yeppers. Worth arguing about? Nopers.

Kat Christian 4 years, 1 month ago

Why is he walking alone at that hour of night to begin with. He should have just put a sign on his back saying PLEASE Rob ME. This is Lawrence, not Utopia and there is crime here, everywhere. So why set yourself up for being a victim in the first place. DUH! I do hope he is alright though. I hope in the future he takes more precautions.

pea 4 years, 1 month ago

"Get's nasty - get down to business!" LMAO.

Smarmy_Schoolmarm 4 years, 1 month ago

Just for the record...it was 7th and Mississippi. The paper never bothered to correct itself so all the brouhaha is for naught.