Archive for Thursday, November 4, 2010

Election message

At least outside of Lawrence and Douglas County, voters are sending a strong message of displeasure with President Obama and Democratic leadership.

November 4, 2010

First of all, at the national level, American voters have delivered a strong, powerful message to the Obama administration.

They don’t like his health care effort, they are extremely concerned about the national debt, and they find many of his campaign promises to be shallow, such as his pledge for transparency in all legislative actions.

Despite all his big talk about reducing unemployment with billions of dollars, he has failed in this effort, and voters do not like what appears to be the Obama grand scheme to move this country from a system of free enterprise and capitalism to socialism.

He has his dream for America, and it doesn’t resonate with the majority of Americans.

The new House of Representatives with the GOP holding a strong majority, has the responsibility of delivering, to their utmost ability, on their campaign promises.

It’s easy to be on the outside and be critical, but it’s another game to be in control of the House and come up with meaningful, positive legislation.

Democrats still control the Senate, although by a slim margin, and Obama still wields a powerful club.

Obama has said he wants to cooperate with the GOP-controlled House, but, at the same time, he said if Republicans want to join in a cooperative manner, they must sit in “the back seat.” He and his fellow Democrats in the Senate intend to remain in the driver’s seat and steer the country the way they want regardless of what the majority of citizens, or the GOP, may wish.

Obama’s description of “cooperation” seems a bit one-sided.

l l l

Lawrence/Douglas County voters favored every Democratic candidate — for governor, the U.S. Senate, secretary of state, attorney general — over the Republican opposition by substantial margins. Statewide, each of these offices was won by Republicans by a large margin.

What makes Lawrence so different — not only in how residents vote for political candidates but how the City Commission operates and how these five individuals try to guide and control the city’s future?

What makes Lawrence so out of step with the rest of the state? And will this eventually result in a community that once had a bright future becoming one that, by its actions, has seen its best days as a thing of the past?

Lawrence wasn’t always this way. Is it for the better or worse? Unfortunately, there won’t be any answers until sometime in the future, when it may be too late to make any corrective actions.

Comments

Flap Doodle 3 years, 5 months ago

Relax and have a popsicle, defeated dudes. It's a cool and fruity treat on a fall evening.

overplayedhistory 3 years, 5 months ago

It is amazing to me that after an election went exactly the way some folks wanted it to it is not enough to to just be happy. They have to go on and on about how messed up Lawrence is, and how the president sucks, because he is black and a Democrat. You Know because It takes a White Republican farm state to get the really big juicy socialist farm subsidies. No problems with redistribution there. It is not socialism because it is us.

I really want to be a centrist but the new right just keeps pushing me left. Mainly because the right has no class. Not enough to win, you have to dis the population that is out of step with you. Which brings me to my question. Since having more corporate money already validates and strengthens your ideology, how does being Jerks improve it?

swan_diver 3 years, 5 months ago

The author of this local op-ed piece is being paid by the World Company, which is in league with thousands of other companies in America, which swill at the public trough, then attack that same entity for not giving them the whole store. They're not only dangerous hypocrites -- they're criminals -- with a lot of blood on their hands.

The electorate is dumbed down by the on-going collapse of public education, and almost evenly divided, in spite of it. The turn-out for the mid-terms was humiliatingly pathetic, as usual, and split almost evenly between both so-called political parties. Most 'races' were settled by narrow margins, one way or the other. The results are meaningless, in the greater scheme. The only sure thing is the continued looting of the national treasury by corporate business interests, which the owners of the World Company will attempt to promote ceaselessly, until the spittle has dried upon its mortified tongue.

camper 3 years, 5 months ago

Didn't the company who this editor works for just recently request some of that wasteful stimulus money for the purpose of expanding into more rural areas. Seems rather hypocritical.

"Despite all his big talk about reducing unemployment with billions of dollars". I like the words "big talk" used by the writer. Does not seem to be a very professional choice of words. You might find better in a High School journalism class.

In addition, this article could have been written by a John Birch society member back in the 50's. It has the same elements. Fear Socialism. fear communism. These were the peolple who though Woodrow Wilson was a communist for breaking up monopolies, Ike was a communist spy, we know what they thought about FDR and Kennedy. They even thought there was a communist message implanted on the dime. Oh boy. When Nixon visited China, they even turned on him claiming him to be a communist.

Looks like there is still an element of this in our country that gets stirred up every now and again.

overplayedhistory 3 years, 5 months ago

"What does the election say about Lawrence, Kansas? Clearly Lawrence and its voters are off on another planet — not in the same constellation as the rest of the state or nation."

You can always take your inherited money and leave, Mr. unnamed author. You already have the rest of Kansas the way you like it. That is not enough? Wouldn't moving off this foreign planet be easier? Gosh! I hope we survive. Why would anybody vote against a money slut like brownback. What is wrong with us? Funny how the place that boasts the largest percentage of degree holders is also the place that is soooo out of step. Lucky for you we are moderate aliens.

M. Lindeman 3 years, 5 months ago

All this can be fixed in two words. TERM LIMITS! So everyone stop bitching about it was that sides fault. It has now become all sides fault. Including all of ours for not limiting there time there in the first place.

George Lippencott 3 years, 5 months ago

JIMO

I so treasure your enlightened opinion. Your astuteness awes me.

I do remind you that people who think like you represent 20% of the electorate. People who think like me represent about 40% and people who think like Tom represent the other 40%. Progress on your agenda requires you to compromise with or fool one of these groups. Calling them names does not help your cause.

I did not vote for the Republicans as much as I voted against the Democrats. I sure would like to see a centrist party in this country. I think we deserve one! I think it would greatly reduce all the tension. I resent having to hold my nose when I vote!

Tom Shewmon 3 years, 5 months ago

"They do not like the policies and actions of the president! They do not like his arrogance and his refusal to listen to the wishes of the majority of Americans."

Bestest, simplest, truest analysis. America scored a humongo victory Tuesday night. Far-left loons will never agree, never be happy and are more than ever, a minority; a minority that will never get special minority status and they can not stand it.

Hey far-left zealots, ie, a majority of this forum. Get used to it. Americans are not you.

sweatybutcher 3 years, 5 months ago

In 2008 the American people spoke up. In 2010 the American people spoke up. Who in the heck are the American people, and what are they saying? If you are "undecided" you have to be some sort of Zombie. Please, grab your respective "I&^&^(^%(" and help out.

rockchalk1977 3 years, 5 months ago

This Election cycle saw the rise of the Christian Conservative voter,a voice that has for too long been muted by liberal attack dogs and GOP RINOs, a voice that has finally begun to shout “Enough!” says the Faith and Freedom Coalition.

A Public Opinion Strategies survey, released Wednesday, shows that 32 percent of Americans who showed up at the polls this week identified themselves as part the Christian conservative movement. FFC says Tuesday night’s conservative turnout was the largest ever recorded in a midterm history.

from http://www.christianpost.com

KimJungUn 3 years, 5 months ago

Obama is in denial. The election message is that he was a fad, we're tired of him and his professors messing things up. We said no to Obamacare, no to stimulus, no to tarp, and no to bailouts. Let me add, no to union thugs, no to illegal immigration and no to Pelosi, Reid and Obama. The American public gained some common sense and should plant a foot in his rear on his way out in 2012.

I'm still celebrating, it couldn't have worked out any better than it did. Thank you Americans.

I love this country.

rockchalk1977 3 years, 5 months ago

Feb. 25, 2010. Barack Obama, saying lawmakers can’t have another yearlong debate on health care, pushed Republicans on legislation or face the prospect the Democrats will push through their own bill.

The question is, “is there enough serious effort that in a month’s time, or a few week’s time, or six weeks’ time, we could actually resolve something?” Obama said. “If we can’t, we’ve got to go ahead and make some decisions, and then that’s what elections are for."

How's that foot taste Mr. President? Maybe it would taste better with some organic arugula from your wife's garden.

ScottyMac 3 years, 5 months ago

What does this editorial say about the Lawrence Journal-World? Clearly Journal-World and its editors are off on another planet — not in the same constellation as the rest of the city.

What makes Lawrence Journal-World so out of step with the rest of the city? And will this eventually result in a newspaper that once had a bright future becoming one that, by its actions, has seen its best days as a thing of the past?

The Journal-World wasn’t always this way. Is it for the better or worse? Unfortunately, there won’t be any answers until sometime in the future, when it may be too late to make any corrective actions.

Rozann 3 years, 5 months ago

It is a real relief that Douglas County/Lawrence is not running around saying "The sky is falling, the sky is falling". The rest of the state seems to be running on unrealistic fears. Amazing how many people will huddle together when they are afraid - and I say afraid of what? Obama simply is putting equality in the game of health care. The poor and have nots are always voiceless and left out in the name of balanced budgets. Obama is not going to let that happen. Republicans and Tea Partiers don't seem to understand that there are pronouns more important than "I" or "Me"; try using we or us, inclusive words.

Obama was handed a mess when the economy fell from years of Republican abuse. He took over an unpopular and unnecessary war and plans to end it with as much dignity and compassion as possible. He will speak up for gay rights. He will give health care for all. He will help our workforce get on its' feet, though this will be hard and will require sacrifice on everyone's part (we all had something to do with it). He is restoring honor to the name United States of America. If that is socialism, then give me a double dose.

One has to be careful not to run with the herd, develop herd mentality (little boxes, little boxes ... and they all look just the same). And ... watch out that your wallet isn't doing all the thinking. Nothing of consequence ever happens when brain, heart, and compassion are left out of the equation. I say "Keep it up Lawrence and Douglas County"; your integrity is in the right place.

From a fellow Kansan transplanted in Vermont (now there is a place of broad thinking, thank goodness!)

Slaphappy 3 years, 5 months ago

The dollar is plummeting and the cost of food is skyrocketing. How am I going to feed by babies?

quimby 3 years, 5 months ago

helllooooo..... all the elections results mean is that people are unhappy about something, not that they demand conservative leadership. i'm one of the many 'american people' that conservatives think voted for them (i did not). republicans are to blame for where we are today because they haven't given the president a chance to do his job. LAWRENCE voters are awesome - We are in step with some of the best cities in this country!

Ray Parker 3 years, 5 months ago

So NOW the news media is going to start telling us about the failures, misrepresentations, misdirections, mistakes, the bait-and-switch in the Mombasa Marxist's regime? We already got that. That's why we voted on Pink Slip Tuesday.

bruno2 3 years, 5 months ago

Given that the majority of voters have determined to return to power the folks who created the mess we are in (amazingly short memory that) I for one would love to be on another planet! Since that doesn't seem to be in the offing, I'll stay in Lawrence. Maybe we should build a wall?

George Lippencott 3 years, 5 months ago

Once again, I am astounded by the clairvoyance of my fellow local citizens. I do not know why anybody else voted (except my wife) but I know that I pretty much voted as the editorial suggested. Apparently, the rest of you know about all the others. Great!

I don’t know about anybody else but we are being hit financially from all directions and much of the impacts are the result of government policy. Mr. Obama and the Democrats have been there two years so that policy is now theirs.

Liberals are about 20% of the population. If you do not have the independents, you will lose. That means compromise. Did we really compromise on health care or did we shove it down people’s throats – compromising between the middle and left of the Democratic Party??

I am so glad that I will now return to paying for my checking account so we can protect people who overdraw their accounts repeatedly. Reform should not have hidden pay-offs to the banks.

I am so glad we bailed out Wall Street without placing limits on compensation. Maybe we could have just asked that they pay taxes at the salaried rate rather than have special privileges and pay as if salary was capital gains (while diluting the value of the stock in everyone’s else’s portfolio (if they have one).

I am so glad we are spending money on helping people who bought homes they could not afford. If they were too stupid to understand the terms, they should not be buying something that expensive. And don’t tell me it is all about unemployment. The concentrations of foreclosures (not here) suggest the opposite. People got greedy in rapidly increasing and unsustainable markets. Renting is always an option.

I am so glad we decided to compete our workers with the workers in India – where Mr. Obama is spending $2 Billion to attend a festival. How in the lord’s name can a machinist making $15.00 an hour and barely paying his bills compete with a worker paid $2.00 an hour and very contented? The answer is he cannot and the job moves to India – forever and unemployment becomes high and difficult to fix.

I am so glad we spend billions on unemployment and at the end of the day many of the unemployed have no jobs and we did not really help them to retrain for jobs that are available. What is it “Give a man a fish and he eats for a day; train a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime” gems from the left!!

I can go on!! But, I think millions of my fellow citizens may have spoken for me – maybe – I really do not know!!

Tom Shewmon 3 years, 5 months ago

Hey superstars, like the corrupt media, ya'll are trying to categorize and demonize and snuff out whoever it was you have conjured up in your heads who rejected Obama's agenda.

It was Americans. Stop please!

It's over----that's all you need to know----Obama's agenda is finished.

kernal 3 years, 5 months ago

Then there are those of us caught betwixt and between. We are conservative liberals or liberal conservatives. We are the middle class, the moderates, we hear no voice of reason and we are fed up with the lot.

Liberty_One 3 years, 5 months ago

I think a better reading of the past three elections is not that people are either supporting at one time the Democratic agenda and at the other time the Republican agenda, but that they are simply against them both, voting for whatever party is out of power to send a message to the one that's in power.

Liberty275 3 years, 5 months ago

"Democrats in the Senate intend to remain in the driver’s seat and steer the country the way they want regardless of what the majority of citizens, or the GOP, may wish."

Being able to steer is meaningless when the guy in the back seat is applying the parking brake.

Tom Shewmon 3 years, 5 months ago

"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me, as we change it."-- Barack Obama

It is not a shocker that the far-left zealots who swarm this forum hate to hear a hard-edged commentary on this disastrous administration. These are the same folks who feel anything west of Mass St. is owned and operated by big, bad, greedy, capitalistic, money-grubbing Republicans owned corporations.

Lol......and may god bless.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 3 years, 5 months ago

I will never vote for the party of theocracy, who wants to establish an American form of Muslim Sharia law in the U.S. They want to outlaw gays, keep women in their place, worship a "dear leader" (I don't think they have one now, except maybe.............Rush Limbaugh) and all dissent against their regime. If Limbaugh is for it, I am against it.

roscoepoet 3 years, 5 months ago

how dare Lawrencians refuse to blindly adhere to the dictates of our corporate overlords?

Meatwad 3 years, 5 months ago

I generally try to learn about the candidates and vote for the individual. I like candidates who think for themselves and don't just follow the party line and do what they are told by their party. I didn't feel that most of the Republican candidates had anything to offer, except for broad, vague catchprases. No substance. No ideas. They only say what they are against. I also wanted to vote against those who pay no attention to the candidates and just vote the party line. And many of the editorials made me realize how much of that was going on in Lawrence, and that the LJW endorses this (although they made one tiny exception and endorsed Steve Six, who sadly lost anyway because he's a Democrat). So I voted the way I did, not because I'm happy with Obama (I'm not and I think he learned a serious lesson), but because of people who vote straight party line for Republicans. I just wanted to counter them because I feel that is a lazy, unintelligent, uninformed easy way out.

jimmyjms 3 years, 5 months ago

Managing editor, I should have said.

jimmyjms 3 years, 5 months ago

Just FYI: nothing in this editorial is true or factual:

The editor of ljw should resign in shame.

JustNoticed 3 years, 5 months ago

If you can't confine Dolph's nonsense to Saturdays, well, I'm just going to stop reading this rag!

jimmyjms 3 years, 5 months ago

Clearly, most of Lawrence voters are under the age of 60 and didn't have their livelihoods handed to them on a silver plate.

Your paper sucks, Dolph.

Michael Stanclift 3 years, 5 months ago

In reality:

2008: Young people voted for change. 2010: Old people voted to revert back.

Timothy Eugene 3 years, 5 months ago

ilovelucy 3 years, 5 months ago

Dolph, Dolph, Dolph. Anyone who doesn't think he wrote this column is wrong, wrong, wrong. He's in heaven right now. The beloved right has come out the victor.

notajayhawk 3 years, 5 months ago

Ah, it's so enjoyable to hear the moaning of the liberal elitists. As always, it's endlessly amusing to hear the sniveling of a small group of whiners, standing by themselves in their isolated little pocket of never-neverland, trying to convince each other that the massive sea of people surrounding them are the ones without a clue.

That's it, guys - just keep telling yourselves that you're good enough, you're smart enough, and doggone it, people like you!

notajayhawk 3 years, 5 months ago

"Lawrence/Douglas County voters favored every Democratic candidate — for governor, the U.S. Senate, secretary of state, attorney general — over the Republican opposition by substantial margins."

Please stop lumping those of us who are county residents in with the loons in Lawrence. Look at your own election result maps. There is no blue outside the city limits, except in the races where the Democrat was a local - but even Holland only carried half the districts in his own home town!

Tom Shewmon 3 years, 5 months ago

Pretty hard-hitting editorial. My understanding is any LJW employee can do this unnamed.

Here's a point that seems to keep getting missed. This election cycle is highly indicative of what the 2012 cycle will be like. Gubernatorial races yielded something like 9 new Republican governors. Senate-6 last I saw. And the house 55-60.

Out of this, an impetus has been set in motion for more gains for Republicans in 2012, but the point I say is missed sometimes is that now, there is a complete new list of Republicans, and with this list, is surely a handful or rising stars; rising starts who may very well cinch the Republican nomination and hopefully, the white house. We have around 75-80 new faces that will all be rehearsing for 2012 ----for senatorial seats and more Republican governor races.

monkeyhawk 3 years, 5 months ago

"And will this eventually result in a community that once had a bright future becoming one that, by its actions, has seen its best days as a thing of the past?"

That's a done deal. That happened when the progressive 3 took over and crammed their ideals down the throats of the citizenry. It happened when they embraced no-growth and empty buses. It happened when the voters learned that they could not trust their leadership to be honest - Sue Hack conflict, the clogger laughing at those who got signatures on a legal petition in good faith, only to be told their efforts were worthless. Just a couple of examples...

Lawrence is not special - special places can fix their streets (especially when a tax is passed to do it!!) instead of cater to those who love holes as passive traffic calmers. Special places are ones that are Not social experiments for the snotty elite on the hill who have never signed the front of a paycheck, yet are always thinking of ways to manipulate the masses or to steal more redistributive money in the form of taxes. Lawrence used to be one of the best places to be. Unfortunately, that was about 30 years ago. Those who have anything left should get out while you can. It's only going to get worse.

consumer1 3 years, 5 months ago

And so, rthe elitest left cries. The city of Lawrence is in denial. Our elitist socialist intellects pale on a national lever but fail to recognize their own blow hard status.

Phillbert 3 years, 5 months ago

"They don’t like his health care effort, they are extremely concerned about the national debt..."

Actually, exit polls showed that about half of voters said they wanted to repeal health care reform...and about half wanted to keep or expand it. 37 percent of voters said they wanted to reduce the deficit...and 37 percent said they wanted more spending to create jobs.

Of course facts don't matter on Planet Dolph, population 1.

jstthefacts 3 years, 5 months ago

The message this election delivers is how effective the republican propaganda machine works. The republican supreme court put smear campaigns on steroids. The "election message" is how well the attack, lie, and slander campaigns worked. They return with the same broken agenda that put this country in the mess it is in and the propaganda machine has effectively scape goated the democrats. The republicans create such a mess it can't be fixed and then that becomes their agenda for getting re-elected. As long as the American people are willing to be duped like this this country will be in a downward spiral. The "election message" is that downward spiral just got put on steroids. The propaganda campaign will continue with the biproduct being this country.

To bad the author of this article is anonymous , or I would address them. The best I can do is say whomever it was, you are contributing to the problem. You are so duped that your a babbling !d!ot.

BornAgainAmerican 3 years, 5 months ago

It appears to me that the ball is now clearly in Obama's court. The American voters have signaled their rejection of the Obama agenda. It will be up to him to set a new agenda. His news conference yesterday did not reveal a willingness on his part to compromise. I look for the Republicans to introduce legislation which will be vetoed by the obstructionist President leading the party of H**l No.

Keith 3 years, 5 months ago

As usual, the lead editorial is funnier than anything on the comics page. Hand the whole thing over to Dan and go yell at the kids to get off your lawn. Find some old cronies to hang out with and reminisce about your days in South Africa.

cato_the_elder 3 years, 5 months ago

Being "an island of blue in a sea of red" has proven to be an increasingly difficult political issue with which KU has had to deal, and will become even more so with the overwhelming defeat of Kansas Democrats in this election. Try to imagine a scenario, for example, in which the leading state university in Massachusetts were located in a community that not only has become stubbornly Republican but is quite proud of that fact and routinely thumbs its nose at the rest of the state as barbarous know-nothings. How do you think that that university is going to fare in the Massachusetts legislature? Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying that there's anything that can be done about how a majority of Lawrencians vote, which is their sacred right, but it's clearly an increasing problem for KU and needs to be recognized as such within Strong Hall. One thing that could be done would be to appoint a group of Douglas County citizens who are strong KU supporters - and not necessarily alumni, either - whose political views are more compatible with the recent statewide results, and have the members of that group interact and establish friendships with legislators all over the state, especially west of Highway 81. Simply food for thought.

scott3460 3 years, 5 months ago

Here's my take on the election returns. Elections are not fine instruments. More like an axe than a scalpel, they reflect thousands and millions of American's efforts to achieve the changes they want through votes on local races.

Rather than the storyline the corporate media have been feeding us about this being a repudiation of President Obama and the Democrats, a perfectly sensible alternative read of last night is that Americans were sickened by the republican's refusal to participate in our government over the last two years and said, "Nope, you don't get to just sit on the sidelines and carp. Get in there and start working!"

And whether that was the intent or not, that is the result. Time to produce republicans. Time to shut up and deliver.

Day Two is beginning, what have the republicans done?

cowboy 3 years, 5 months ago

Heres the message Dolph...

Our electorate is so ignorant that they cannot figure out the shell game that has been foisted on them by Rove , Koch , Armey.

They have memory deficit disorder forgetting just who ran this country into the sh!tter just two years ago , the republicans.

They are against government but do not have a single proposal to concretely address any of the issues other than to blockade and say no

They are so naive as to expect a major recession to right itself in less than 24 months , history tells us ten years

They have a plethora of one trick pony candidates who will not go before any scrutinizing media dare they be immediately exposed as shallow uneducated boobs

They have no base of electoral knowledge to understand the the now is normal , one party controlling both houses and the presidency is not normal. We are now normal however effed up that might be.

So we got your "message" and we have lost this skirmish but to my dying day I shall not concede to this group of morons !

seeker_of_truth 3 years, 5 months ago

And they wonder why their newspaper readers have stopped buying their papers. Keep insulting their potential readers and there will be even less of them.

pinecreek 3 years, 5 months ago

Internal Memo to staff at LJW: Note to Marketing and Sales--you'll have to try harder, I'm going out to insult our readers this week. They're clearly not very bright and need some Dolph-style counseling. How dare they be different....if they don't change this whole place is doomed.

Richard Heckler 3 years, 5 months ago

As far as I'm concerned Washington D.C. democrats have been too busy compromising and trying to build bridges that have not been there to build for 30 years or more. The bridges are not there today and will not be there in January.

I'd say they shot themselves in the foot.

They could have moved forward in 3-5 different areas instead they worried about filibusters. And they kissed the fannies of the medical insurance industry who then turned around and financed the republican wins.

Republicans will not change their rigid agenda of the past 30 years. We'll see more stonewalling against jobs and a strong economy,will waste a ton of time undoing Obamacare and keep the multi trillion dollar war going.

The never ending political campaigns are still in gear thereby diverting attention from the needs of the country. Our costs of living will continue to increase to support reckless spending on the campaign trail. We voters cannot afford this system.

Richard Heckler 3 years, 5 months ago

The republican primary agenda is to control the government.

They had 8 years to create tons and tons of new jobs backed up with new industry. This did not happen.

True to form and pattern they eliminated approximately 11 million jobs and shut down the economy then immediately began blaming the democrats. This was a repeat performance of Reagan/Bush. In both cases retirement funds were lost as well as medical insurance. The question is why do they perform in such a reckless manner? How do so many players stay out of jail?

nomansland 3 years, 5 months ago

There's a reason this paper is nicknamed the "Urinal World".

equalaccessprivacy 3 years, 5 months ago

However ahead of the game Lawrence people see themselves compared to the rest of KS they are still fairly behind the times as far as the more sophisticated, aware, and educated parts of the country go.

The characterization of Obama's goals you give in this editorial equates to that of an uneducated and hidebound electorate and thus doesn't say much. I do agree that his administration has been less than sincere in its attempts to be "transparent" though.