Archive for Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Linda Warner out as Haskell president; search to begin for successor

November 2, 2010

The federal government soon will be looking for a new president to lead Haskell Indian Nations University.

Linda Warner, who started work as Haskell president in April 2007, has accepted another job with the Bureau of Indian Education and, therefore, no longer is the school’s president, said Larry Echo Hawk, U.S. assistant secretary for Indian affairs.

Warner had been Haskell president in name only since September 2009, when she had been detailed off campus to perform accreditation work at another federal school for American Indians: Southwestern Indian Polytechnic Institute in Albuquerque, N.M.

In January, the government sent her to a regional Bureau of Indian Education office in Oklahoma City, and she has not set foot on the Haskell campus since her departure.

“I want to acknowledge and thank Dr. Warner for her contributions to the BIE, and in particular, Haskell Indian Nations University,” Echo Hawk said, in a letter.

Officials never disclosed their reasons for sending Warner off campus, although she had clashed with some faculty and staff on campus over work rules and plans to launch additional programs.

Members of Haskell’s Board of Regents twice cast votes of “no confidence” in Warner — once before her departure from campus, and again in May — in an continued effort to have her removed from campus. Regents said Warner didn’t properly communicate with regents, filed reports “usurping the authority” of regents, and did not follow a previous agreement that outlined responsibilities for the regents.

The divisiveness on the Haskell campus drew criticism and concern from U.S. Sen. Pat Roberts, R-Kan., and others in the Kansas Congressional delegation, who eight months ago formally urged the Department of Interior to address leadership concerns at Haskell.

Echo Hawk’s letter, posted Monday, included an update regarding his own visit to campus during the spring.

“While my visit was in the midst of challenging circumstances, I was nonetheless encouraged and inspired by the commitment, dedication and perseverance of the students, administration, faculty and staff of the university,” Echo Hawk said. “Haskell has faced many challenges throughout its 126-year history, and it has met those challenges head on, overcoming adversity and strengthening itself in the process. … One thing remains the same — the perseverance of Haskell that will lead to a brighter future.”

Chris Redman, an education specialist from the bureau’s Oklahoma City office, remains Haskell’s interim president. His latest term as interim president was to end this week, but Echo Hawk extended the term while the government prepares to lead a search for Warner’s successor.

Leading the search will be Keith Moore, who started June 1 as director of the Bureau of Indian Education. A committee will conduct a national search for candidates.

Comments

Irenaku 3 years, 4 months ago

I remember when Warner proposed adding graduate/PhD programs to Haskell as (gasp!) the cost of the students by paying regular tution like other colleges. She was gone the next day. If they want to keep at a 10% graduation rate, just stay the route they are going. Ridiculous.

justme2 3 years, 5 months ago

Where did I write that HINU is not good enough to graduate from? Reread what I wrote slowly so you can understand it.

But maybe what I should have written was that many student who matriculate at HINU often transfer to other colleges because those colleges may have more programs available due to bigger funding budgets.

You're right. HINU is not the spokesperson for the Native American academic community, but when the board of regents, the four tribes of Kansas (who have never banded together to ask for any other HINU president to be removed) and other various Native American agencies ask/demand for a certain person to be removed it is pretty telling. Rarely does the Native American community come together in agreement of anything.

justme2 3 years, 5 months ago

sbobandme says, "My wife and I agree with you. They could not keep Dr. Warner and now the graduation rate is at nine percent, we are tired of hearing about that too. What a tax payers waste, close the place."

Maybe the American Indian academic community didn't want to keep Warner. She is a vindictive woman who didn't know how to run an academic institution. So she's out.

Historically, the academic rate for American Indian students has been low, but as pointed out in above comments, this number does not reflect those students who used Haskell as a place to enroll in foundation course prior to matriculating at larger academic institutions. Haskell is not a waste of taxpayers' money. Why don't you and your wife worry about other issues that concern the community of Lawrence.

sbobandme 3 years, 5 months ago

sbobandme (anonymous) says…

The above comment was in reply to "shootitstrait".

sbobandme 3 years, 5 months ago

The above comment was in reply to "shootitstrait".

shootitstrait 3 years, 5 months ago

I was suprised to see the comments on LJWorld about Larry Echo Hawk. From what I have read about him, he seems to be a very accomplished leader. Former Attorney General of Idaho, Served in the Idaho State Legislature, a former Idaho Governor canidate who lost a very close race, law professor and now the Assistant Secretary of Indian Affairs (Confirmed by the US Senate). I dont know very many people in Indian country with that type of proven leadership and it would be interesting for people to comment on that.

I like to be a realist and not someone who just complains (unlike many on here who make unfounded statements). I put my faith in him as the leader Indian Country has, and trust that the decision to remove Dr. Warner was supported by reasons the public may not have the privilage to know. I know for example certian personnel issues are protected by laws. I know its easiest to point the blame to others but in the end Dr. Warner was responsible to lead that university but maybe she was not equipped to successfully lead Haskell. In my opinion no matter how much people want Dr. Warner back, she is gone and the University needs to move forward, which is what I think Mr. Echo Hawk's statements say.

I am sick of seeing reports on the 9% or 10% graduation rate at Haskell. I myself and part of that 91% that started at Haskell and didn't graduate. I started my education at Haskell and transfered to the University of New Mexico after two years where i got my B.S. and M.A. Is my sucess ever captured in these numbers or I am considered to be a drop out?

sbobandme 3 years, 5 months ago

Excuse us, Dr. Warner is out??? My wife and I will tell you who should be out: Larry Echohawk, Stephanie Birdwell, all of Haskell's current administrators, most of their dorm, food service and teaching staff. Larry Echohawk does not care about Haskell, why do you think Dr.Warner is gone? She came too Haskell and made it a better school and in the process, she made some people unhappy boo-hoo. Problem was the Bureau of Indian Education didn't want to be bothered with all of the boo-hooing, so instead of standing behind Dr.Warner, they let her go. And now what do they have? A nine percent graduation rate, rapes and other crimes on their campus. Why look for a successor???? Haskell is not a school, its a boarding house and employment opportunity for those who could otherwise not find employment......close the place it is a waste of our hard earned tax dollars. Mr. Larry Echohawk you are a liar.

blue73harley 3 years, 5 months ago

Bozo would be a good replacement. Might give him something to do.

Horace 3 years, 5 months ago

How can they only have a 10% graduation rate? I'm guessing the curriculum is equivalent to that at Central Junior High and the students get their bill paid for by Uncle Sam.

Shut that place down.

Practicality 3 years, 5 months ago

So, they get rid of Warner because she tried to actually make changes that everyone but the Haskell Board of Regents and the Haskell Faculty can clearly see need to be addressed?Brillant!!!! What a bunch of worthless Bureaucrats.

"While my visit was in the midst of challenging circumstances, I was nonetheless encouraged and inspired by the commitment, dedication and perseverance of the students, administration, faculty and staff of the university,” Echo Hawk said.

Clearly the problem starts with this guy. With a 10% graduation rate this guy is "inspired". Wow! Talk about pathetic standards. Clearly the removal of Mr. Echo Hawk is the first step that needs to be made.