Archive for Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Lawrence voters approve $18 million library expansion

Lawrence Library director Bruce Flanders, left, gets a victory high-five from his daughter Kelly Flanders Tuesday, Nov. 2, 2010,  as the library bond issue vote was winning.

Lawrence Library director Bruce Flanders, left, gets a victory high-five from his daughter Kelly Flanders Tuesday, Nov. 2, 2010, as the library bond issue vote was winning.

November 2, 2010, 8:31 p.m. Updated November 2, 2010, 11:25 p.m.

Election 2010

Find detailed candidate profiles, campaign finance information and complete election coverage in our Election Guide.

Michael Machell, left, Alice Ann Johnston and Don Johnston look at early return numbers on the library vote Tuesday, Nov. 2, 2010 at the Douglas County Courthouse.

Library voting results

Click here for detailed results on the Lawrence library expansion proposal race.

Plans for an $18 million Lawrence Public Library expansion have just moved from the fiction to the non-fiction shelf.

Lawrence voters gave the library project a 10 percentage-point victory Tuesday, and at least one city commissioner is betting they’ve given the community a boost that will go beyond more space for books.

Voters approved the project with 12,814 yes votes for 55 percent to 10,475 no votes for 45 percent. All totals are unofficial, pending a few hand-counted ballots that remain to be counted.

The project will include:

• A 20,000-square-foot expansion and renovation of all existing library space.

• A doubling of the amount of children’s room space, including a separate space for young adults.

• A three-level parking garage to be built on a portion of the current parking lot. The garage would have 250 spaces, up from 125 today.

• A doubling of meeting room space, including a design that would allow for up to nine meeting rooms and six reading rooms.

• A drive-through book drop off and service window on the west side of the library.

• New space for 100 additional public access computers.

The project will require the city to issue $18 million in general obligation bonds. The city has estimated a property tax increase of 1.5 mills will be needed for the next 20 years to pay for the bonds. Library leaders also are asking for a 0.5 mill increase to pay for increased operational costs for a larger library. A 2 mill increase would add $39.10 to the annual property tax bill for a $170,000 home.

Library leaders said the rough economy made the election closer than they had anticipated, but said they believed the results showed residents consider the library to be an essential service.

“We’re very appreciative of the support,” said Mike Machell, chairman of the library board of directors. “I think it indicates that voters appreciate the service of the library and are willing to dig into their pockets a bit to ensure that we keep our services at a high level.”

Throughout Lawrence on Tuesday, voters were divided on the subject.

“It is definitely a size issue,” Diane Andrade said after voting for the project at the American Legion polling place. “Whenever we go, we have problems with parking, and it is just starting to look a little run down.”

Economy and technology issues, though, weighed on the minds of some opponents.

“I think it is the wrong time, and I think there are other things that need to be done first,” said Marge Hoffman, who voted against the proposal at the Mustard Seed polling place. “And I’m not so sure libraries won’t be more and more a thing of the past as technology changes.”

Machell said the expanded library is expected to be completed in 2012. Library leaders now will turn their attention to finalizing design plans for the project.

Cromwell said the previously released drawings can be tweaked, and that library designers will now start asking more specific questions about how the project should be designed.

But Cromwell said the biggest question has been answered.

“I think what Lawrence residents have said tonight is that they are willing to pay for great infrastructure in this community,” Cromwell said.

9:06 p.m. update

With all but two precincts reporting, library supporters say it appears their proposal will pass with 54 percent of Lawrence voters approving the tax increase.

The two remaining precincts remaining are expected to have low voter turnout.

9:01 p.m. update

Library supporters are feeling better about the chances of the $18 million bond issue winning approval now that more than half of the precincts have been counted.

With 31 of the 49 precincts now counted, library supporters believe the issue is faring well enough in all parts of the community. But the question still remains how many West Lawrence precincts are left to report.

City Commissioner Aron Cromwell, who has been one of the leading supporters of the bond issue, said he expects the bond issue to receive about 70 percent support in east Lawrence but to face stiffer opposition in western Lawrence.

"But I still think we're going to do well with women and families with younger children on the west side," Cromwell said.

Jim Mullins, field director for Americans for Prosperity - the main opposition group to the bond issue - said he also expected the west side of Lawrence to produce more no votes on the issue. He said he still was waiting to see which West Lawrence precincts remained outstanding, but said the fact the issue was ahead at the halfway point was significant.

8:53 p.m. update

According to @1320KLWN, with 31 of 49 precincts reporting, library results are:

No — 45%

8:41 p.m. update

As the first library results of the evening come in, election watchers are now wondering which precincts are reporting.

The first totals included 12 of 49 precincts, but election observers believe there may be a difference in how east Lawrence and west Lawrence vote on the library bond issue. Voter turnout is expected to be heavier in west Lawrence than east Lawrence. Whether correct or not, several longtime Lawrence election watchers have said the vote for the library may face more challenges in the western part of the city as the issue of whether the library should have proposed a branch system instead of a major downtown expansion was raised out west.

If the first round of results include several precincts from West Lawrence, library supporters likely will be pleased. If the first round of results mainly are from the east side, it likely is too early to read much into the early returns.

We're working to get a report that shows which precincts are reporting.

8:30 p.m. update

The first results are coming in from the Douglas County Courthouse, with 12 of 49 precincts reporting, the results are:

• Yes 54.8 percent
  • No 45.11 percent

Comments

BalkansHawk 3 years, 5 months ago

I am going to be reminded of this every morning as I start my commute driving by TJ Max at 0630 heading east on 31st street. I see a minimum of two city buses either both parked, or one just rolling and the other either parked or just pulling into a bus parking zone. The one that takes off makes a right on Ousdahl and heads in the direction of Walmart. The other day I saw one bus making the right turn on Ousdahl, one parked and one pulling into the parking stall (3 buses at 0630 within a block and a half of each other).

How many people are looking for a ride to Walmart that time of day? If they have to walk to the bus stop right there, they might as well continue on foot another two blocks and save their bus fare for a longer trek.

Richard Heckler 3 years, 5 months ago

"and if Compton were forced to build his own parking for his proposed apartment complex, there would not be added pressure placed on the current garage. "

Exactly

Richard Heckler 3 years, 5 months ago

Commuting any distance for work may well become history sooner than expected. China is increasing our cost of gasoline. With China buying up large chunks of the world oil reserves, as we speak, close to downtown will be the place to live and shop. Our library will be busier than ever.

Thank you Community Mercantile and Dillon's for preparing and taking us into the future.

Richard Heckler 3 years, 5 months ago

More would have voted yes if the 1995 sales tax revenue source were providing funding. This pie afford to dedicate 10% to the library for now and forever.

Parks and Rec would still get 90% = nice chunk of money

voigtlorenzo 3 years, 5 months ago

Okay...maybe I'm confused! I thought Lawrence wanted to be a small community setting. Hard core on the downtown area....no? So why are we spending money that isn't there to make it look like we're in New York????? idk....like I said, maybe I'm just confused!

jayhawklawrence 3 years, 5 months ago

I hope I am wrong, but I am afraid we have been conned folks. Sorry.

not_holroyd 3 years, 5 months ago

Jeeez....lets figure out how to bitc* while we landlords raise the costs anyway......

Especially when we Oread Landlords have multiple houses of our own....like oneeyed_Wilbur.

Guess Lawrence is just taxing us all out of existence.... hahahahhahaha Maybe we have to sell our Arizona property. hahahahaha.

Rufus0U812 3 years, 5 months ago

The looters have won, so much for private property.

irvan moore 3 years, 5 months ago

It was not Mr. Shew who does the wording, it would come from the city, he has nothing to do with the wording on the ballots

Patriot2 3 years, 5 months ago

I would like to express my sincerest thanks to all of you who DID NOT VOTE! Do you not understand voting is a privilege that most of the world does not have? An earned privilege? Of course YOU did not earn it, but you pi$$ it away! And don’t give me the I don’t gripe about government, and that’s why I don’t vote! The next time you’re at the grocery check-out, let me know, you can pay for my groceries too! Or maybe fill my car up with gas! Or how about paying my utilities! I know, you can pay my property taxes! Yes, we can all thank the NON-VOTERS for our increase in taxes to pay the $18 million for the library expansion to store books and computers that all the people, who don’t care, will be using! Only in the United States do we fight so hard to give voting rights to non-citizens and illegal aliens while all along we have millions of citizens who don’t give a rats a$$ enough to vote! Maybe we should have a REQUIREMENT of citizenship that you HAVE TO VOTE! And don’t get me wrong, I’m not asking that you vote for one party or the other. I’m asking that you take some responsibility.
For those of you who have children and did not vote, I hope you have a large estate. Your children are going to need it to pay for everything you did not care enough about to have an opinion on.

budwhysir 3 years, 5 months ago

some say "thats great!!!" I say "oh great...." There is yet another side to this story that will now showing up. I sure hope Lawrence becomes the "LIBRARY CAPITAL OF THE WORLD" with your new fancy smancy library. I can say I have lived here all my life and can still count the number of times I have been to our library. and you know what I found???? aint much there. yep thats right I said aint cause aint is a word and I found it in the dictionary at the library last time I was there....

overplayedhistory 3 years, 5 months ago

Yep, It sucks. Lawrence is bad for business and likes to tax people and build libraries. It is just been ridiculously difficult to turning this town in to carbon copy of every other town in America. I wish I could get everyone here on the same page with the rest of the normal people in America. I guess since everything less than 30 miles away is like the rest of America I could just move there, or stop b!tching if I don't even live in Lawrence anyway.

gccs14r 3 years, 5 months ago

Both my wife and I voted against, mostly because of the parking garage. There is plenty of parking downtown already, and if Compton were forced to build his own parking for his proposed apartment complex, there would not be added pressure placed on the current garage.

I do think the ballot wording was intentionally made overly complex to confuse people. Makes me wonder about Mr. Shew's involvement in the project.

50YearResident 3 years, 5 months ago

I have a Lawrence address but do not live within the City Limits. The Liabrary issue was not on my ballot. Because I didn't get to vote, I won't have to pay, or will I?

irvan moore 3 years, 5 months ago

i'll betcha Flanders will get a big raise since he will be running a super deluxe big library, bet the nice librarians don't get raises.

Jim Williamson 3 years, 5 months ago

"'It is definitely a size issue,' Diane Andrade said..."

giggle

macon47 3 years, 5 months ago

MOST OF US ARE LOOKING AT WAYS TO SAVE 50 BUCKS A YEAR NOT SPEND ANOTHER 50 BUCKS A YEAR

BUT THEN WE ARE NOT LIVING ON THE DOLE ALREADY

rrpostal 3 years, 5 months ago

I like to think of myself as somewhat fiscally conservative. But I don't want to live somewhere that doesn't have a decent library. If we truly can't afford this, I need to leave sooner than later.

frador 3 years, 5 months ago

The new library's going to be awesome. I'm very excited. Although that extra $2 a month I'm going to have to pay is really going to make it tough to make ends meet. That's, like, half a cup of coffee from Starbucks I'll have to cut out! As a latte drinking liberal, this will really cramp my style. Oh, GOD! Now I'm beginning to regret my vote! WHAT HAVE I DONE?! All the negative commenters are right, and all the "facts" and "statistics" citing increased use of the library's facilities are wrong. Lawrence is obviously going down the toilet because we will have a nice library.

jackbinkelman 3 years, 5 months ago

Don't buy all the excess $$$ Christmas decorations at wal mart this year and you will be fine... please...

ToriFreak13 3 years, 5 months ago

hippies building parking lots...whodathunkit

jomccready 3 years, 5 months ago

So I am just wondering are the homeless going to be able to spent the night in the new library? Because I am pretty sure Lawrence needs a homeless shelter instead of a new library to fulfilled vanity needs. I am just saying......

edjayhawk 3 years, 5 months ago

Can we file a lawsuit to block the thing?

irvan moore 3 years, 5 months ago

it wasn't about the library, the commissioners and downtown Lawrence wanted a parking garage.

toe 3 years, 5 months ago

Passed easily, as predicted. Those receiving government checks, the majority in town, do not care about those that do not. If you live in Lawrence, you have better work for the government because if you do not, you have to wear a shirt with SUCKER emblazoned in the front and back. A lot of state dollars flow into Lawrence. It will be interesting to see if the new administration finds a way to keep the budget in check by reducing that flow.

macon47 3 years, 5 months ago

the freeloaders and the loafers voted in the mt bus taxes they also voted in the library

we have no one to blame but ourselves

it passed fair and sqaure

cause the whiners stayed home and posted on line instead of voting

bangaranggerg 3 years, 5 months ago

The least I can say is my vote cancelled out at least one vote of a person who voted for this. I have to get creative in finding victory when as usual there isn't much to celebrate on a November 3rd.

skinny 3 years, 5 months ago

Yup, can't wait to see all these apartments in town raise their rent 20 or 30 dollars a month!

CHKNLTL 3 years, 5 months ago

By the way....How many people in this County actually have a Library Card?

CHKNLTL 3 years, 5 months ago

The best IS yet to come....when the landlords pass along those extra property taxes to all the businesses that rent from them...everything will be passed on to the consumers.

jayhawklawrence 3 years, 5 months ago

I wonder how many yes votes came from people who actually own a home in Lawrence?

Anyone who voted yes for this without owning a home in Lawrence is no better than a thief.

It will be interesting to see how much or little accountability or "transparency" we will see in the actual implementation of this 20 year plan.

It is not hard to see why Lawrence is on the edge of being a totally disfunctional community and may have already crossed that line long ago.

kernal 3 years, 5 months ago

Evidently, I gave the voters of Lawrence credit for more intelligence than warranted. I've read a lot of moronic comments about the library expansion, pro and con, and have come to the conclusion that many of you don't understand much of what is going on financially in this world and what is coming in the years ahead. Many of you expected quick fixes when there are none, you've whined and moaned about each other's political bent, yet few of you have been able to offer solutions or look outside the box you choose to live in. Now the voting majority has voted for this ridiculous library expansion.

Careful what you wish for.

quailrunmom 3 years, 5 months ago

I'm disappointed in our community. How can we vote for MORE taxes. This is the same community that had town hall discussions just last year on NOT CLOSING Prairie Park Nature Center due to lack of funding. The City was facing less revenue because property taxes went down. Well guess what!?!? People are still losing jobs and homes and closing stores. I don't see a HUGE recovery locally yet. When will we as a community face reality and actually prioritize NEEDS vs WANTS. This was a WANT through and through. Did we have a fully functional library that was serving the community. YES. In five or ten years, when the country and city do recover fiscally and everyone turns to the digital age of print at least we'll still have more parking for the pool and the Senior Center. geesh

CHKNLTL 3 years, 5 months ago

breeze 3 years, 5 months ago

Congratulations LPL! Now you can have the space you've needed for so long.

gracecountry62 3 years, 5 months ago

Sad we take more thought about a place for a book on a new shelf then we do housing the homeless that happen to be human life, Such fools in this town has their priorities wrong. We need to help the people in need so why could not we take 18 million and build a nice place for children and their families? Why because too many of the well elite has no clue of what it is like they have their own little worlds. God help us we need a wake up call in this town. The city has been hanging the homeless shelter on the shelf for many years but we can approve for their to be built a 18 million dollar library in one day. Amazing.

antacid 3 years, 5 months ago

'“I believe this vote tonight shows that we really have weathered the economic storm, and that when we do come out of this recession that Lawrence has positioned itself to be one of those communities that leads the state,” said Aron Cromwell, a city commissioner and leading supporter of the library project. “I think this library project symbolizes that.”

Cromwell is a moron.

antacid 3 years, 5 months ago

and LJWorld, please explain the reason we cannot post Lawrence-Douglas County Planning Commission member's names here. Why does every post with one of their names get deleted? These are public figures that carry a lot if influence over citizens interests. We SHOUKD be watching them very closely and we SHOULD be free to discuss their performance and possible conflicts of interest. If the LJWorld refuses this right to Lawrence citizens maybe there is something to hide that requires some investigating.

75x55 3 years, 5 months ago

So, who paid for all the "Yes on Library" signs that sprouted up all over town in the past three weeks?

If you people think this is about 'the library', you've not been around Larrytown very long.

LawrenceBoy 3 years, 5 months ago

As a State, we just voted in the Conservatives. As a city, we just voted to raise taxes. This illustrates how different and how confused Lawrence is. There is the "Face" of Lawrence, and then there is the "Heart" of Lawrence. They are quite different. And I think most people are confused about which is which.

bd 3 years, 5 months ago

Didn't see too many people east of Mass. st. at their party???

hipper_than_hip 3 years, 5 months ago

I pay property taxes in Lawrence too, and I'm ok with this decision. Lawrence has needed to expand it's library for a long time, so this is a move in the right direction.

northtown 3 years, 5 months ago

And you think the Housing market is bad now!!Just think how are you going to sell a house with all the city tax? This city is nutts,nobody thinks ,they just leap. Yes in time all will be bitching about thier increase in city tax.. Good Luck Lawrence,you need all you can get!!!!

heygary 3 years, 5 months ago

Internet Archive has been scanning books and making them available for researchers, historians, scholars, people with disabilities, and the general public for free on archive.org since 2005. There are over 2,000,000 available for online reading or download in many formats including Kindle!

$18M = 134,000 Kindles

irvan moore 3 years, 5 months ago

since we have 2 idiots (Cromwell and Flanders) does that mean we have become whatever is the next step up from a village?

antacid 3 years, 5 months ago

well here's my thought the day after the dumbest vote in the history of Lawrence. people who voted against this stupidity knew exactly what they were voting. At least half of those voting 'yes' had no clue other than 'hey. library. library good. bond? what that? Im not here long term. sure.'

I can't remember many elections that have infuriated me like last night. that picture of Flanders high giving his daughter? repugnant. his interview on tv? disgusting. he said 'I didn't even know we needed thus until Cromwell told me.' Cromwell needs to go ASAP. Flanders needs to go. There are members of the planning commission that must go (for some reason the LJW doesn't want his name on the comment section. hmmmmm).

Time to clean house. I want a recall vote in this issue.

jstthefacts 3 years, 5 months ago

In a election where both nationally and locally, the american people took set back after set back, This is a silver lining. The people of Lawrence and the surrounding area won a victory that will serve them for many many years. Thank you to the voters who supported it. Its kinda like the healthcare reform . So many people voted against their best interests but will still be able to benefit thanks to those visionaries who could see the benefits.

Boston_Corbett 3 years, 5 months ago

I will repeat:

Both the T-vote and vote on the Library show you how un-representative most posters on these boards are compared to the actual voting population of the city. (Which is a good thing)

I am guessing the library posters were 90% "no on the library" on these forums.

Remember that for future discussions.

Jeff Cuttell 3 years, 5 months ago

There still is such a thing as libraries? I thought they were gone now that nobody needs them anymore. Internet anyone?

heygary 3 years, 5 months ago

Perhaps now there will be room for some of the old classics ...

In the year 1787, Alexander Tyler (a Scottish history professor at The University of Edinborough) described "The Fall of The Athenian Republic" some 2,000 years prior: “A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent form of government. A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse due to loose fiscal policy, which is always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world’s greatest civilizations from the beginning of history, has been about 200 years. During those 200 years, these nations always progressed through the following sequence: From bondage to spiritual faith; From spiritual faith to great courage; From courage to liberty; From liberty to abundance; From abundance to complacency; From complacency to apathy; From apathy to dependence; From dependence back into bondage.”

From my vantage point, Mr. Tyler’s observation has been unsettlingly predictive of the path of our own experiment in Democracy.

In my youth I studied, with gratitude and reverence, the “bondage to liberty” sequence associated with the birth of our country. I believe I have lived through the “abundance to apathy” sequence. Now, as I watch the current Administration attempt to spend its way out of a recession, push forward massive bail out and entitlement programs, and socio-engineer Government intrusion/involvement in to most aspects of our lives, I cannot help but feel that the road to “dependence” has been charted.

Beelzebub 3 years, 5 months ago

I'm sure the billionaire Koch brothers really appreciate the efforts of the Tea Party folks. Probably they'll invite you to their next barbecue.

bd 3 years, 5 months ago

WOW! you build multi-million $ high school ath. facilities and are facing budget cuts??? Now 18 mil. for a lib. expansion and your streets are crap????

I am glad I don't live in this money pit of a town!

BTW- Tea anyone- Ha!

cadillac 3 years, 5 months ago

It appears about 22,000 people voted on this issue. How many people voted overall? Something a foul?

Beelzebub 3 years, 5 months ago

Now me, I'd rather give my tax money to some deserving billionaire. Or maybe spend it at Wal-Mart on some of those fine, imported products!

justforfun 3 years, 5 months ago

Now lets see if they let a local firm build the expansion???? I bet not cuz they will sell you on we went for the low bid SCREW the local workers!!! Just wait for it, it's cummin!!!!

PROAMERICA 3 years, 5 months ago

I can't pay any more tax. Hell I can't pay what it is now. I'm an old white guy and can't get any government money. hell I can't even get a raise on my Social Security! Too damn many stupid people in this city now.

Jeteras 3 years, 5 months ago

wow sure glad I live in another county.. have fun with that new library, HAHAHAH snicker snicker.. just think more expansion for the bumbs to hang out... Man what a deal! its a 2 fer one maybe they can fill the 3 foot potholes with all the stuff they tear out of the old library!!! heck yea man!

flux 3 years, 5 months ago

I thought we were broke!!!!!!!

monkeyhawk 3 years, 5 months ago

The caption below the jubilant picture above should read "Ha, ha, we just stole another $18 million dollars from the unfortunate suckers who pay property taxes in Lawrence."

Beelzebub 3 years, 5 months ago

Oh, those darn tax and spend liberals!

Investing $18m in the community....?!

What a shame.

Will they never learn?

been_there 3 years, 5 months ago

storm (anonymous) says… Hooray, we get parking garage, and the developer employs illegals.

Good point storm. I think any work done on the library needs to be monitored to insure only legal workers are used. If we have to pay for it when we can't afford it, we at least need to insist that legal workers are used.

niles 3 years, 5 months ago

The ones who have to pay for it voted no. The unproductive liberal leaches who voted yes did so because it sounded cool to have more free government services.

CorkyHundley 3 years, 5 months ago

Why do people that don't have any money get to vote to take money from those that have it?

What kind of system is that?

Does Mexico have a system like that?

distant_voice 3 years, 5 months ago

There is simply no limit to the stupidity of the liberal vote in Lawrence. Nuff' said.

BalkansHawk 3 years, 5 months ago

What a terrible waste of resources. I agree with ResQd, the way that this item was worded on the ballot was very confusing. I had to read it five or six times and still wasn't sure whether I was voting for or against. One of the other items on the ballot spelled it out quite clear, if you vote yes - this is the outcome, if you vote no - this is the outcome. I guess I should spend more time in the library, since my Master's degree from our fine University didn't make me very smart. Maybe if this money was spent on getting people better paying jobs in town, I wouldn't be working an hour away. If we didn't have four kids that would be terribly upset if we moved, we would move.

ToriFreak13 3 years, 5 months ago

and how many jobs did this $18 mil create? in...sane.

2GenLtown 3 years, 5 months ago

Wow, as someone who owns multiple homes in Lawrence, and lives in one of them, all I can say is I'm happy my family and I decided to sell and move out recently. Have fun paying for this one folks.

I spent a few days in a two week period in the library a few years back and a couple noteworthy points: I saw very few people in the Library while I was there each time. In fact I'm not sure I saw more than 25 people in the place at any time. Second, the Library was fine as it was. There was no demand for a better product.

You know what does need a better product. The Lawrence Public School system. This money should have gone toward the schools. Kids in this town need help more than ever and an over the top library is not going to be the answer. People over the age of 18 go two ways: to college OR toward a career / job specialization. Very few of them, either way, spend any time in a public library.

What a joke. So sad. Money grab. Money pit. Money waste when it could go so many other more deserving and needed places.

Sad day for Lawrence. 18 mil down the drain spiraling slowly.

Nicole Lopez 3 years, 5 months ago

this is why i like books more than people

slappedyomomma 3 years, 5 months ago

if you aren't depressed enough because of this vote, just think about the fact that soon enough, Lawrence property values will be artificial pumped up by the county for tax revenue, which will increase each person's liability for this train wreck...

parrothead8 3 years, 5 months ago

I knew this would pass, but I went out and voted NO anyway. If this had been $18M to fix some roads so that my car would stop getting the crap beat out of it, I would have been happy to vote YES.

I know, if we can find the money, that this is a great time to be building because material costs are low, people need the work, and it will boost the economy. At the same time, I'm really unhappy that my property taxes are going up to support something I don't use or want during a time when my family's finances are tighter than ever.

ResQd 3 years, 5 months ago

I am very dissapointed in the library that passed. In these economic times, there is no need for such a frivilous expansion. I thought the way they wrote the question on the ballot may have been a little confusing for some people. Your property taxes are going to skyrocket with all of the expenditures the city and county are putting on us, and believe me your home is not worth what the county appraised it as. I had my home appraised by an outside professional over the summer and it came in 30k under what the county says it's worth. I hope the new library fills up with more homeless people. I've said my peace, and looking to get out of town as well.

booyalab 3 years, 5 months ago

The saddest thing to me about this story isn't the fact that it was passed. It's the fact that it was so close. Almost half of voters in Lawrence are effectively getting robbed, since they're paying against their will, and all the supporters can do is high five.

relaytheurgency 3 years, 5 months ago

most of you people must be completely miserable.

if you think only property owners pay for an increase in property taxes you should probably enroll in the university and wake the heck up. if the library were such a terrible idea, maybe you should've left your chair and articulated your point to some eligible voters that aren't on the internet whining about every thing that happens in Lawrence that they don't personally agree with.

get off the internet and gtfo of lawrence.

Eride 3 years, 5 months ago

I am convinced that Lawrence voters will approve a tax increase for pretty much anything................

antacid 3 years, 5 months ago

Remember this night. It was the defining moment when Lawrence, Kansas went down the road to financial ruin.

Armored_One 3 years, 5 months ago

Nothing like being forced to pay for something I don't use.

Pretty much like paying my neighbor's car loan payment. I don't use their car, so I damned sure don't want to be forced to pay for their ownership of it.

Not to mention those that own both public and private property in this town. A friend of mine owns property downtown and a house in Lawrence. Never seen him go to the library either, but those that voted yes just jacked him twice.

How about those that vote yes get to pay for this bunch of nonsense and the rest of us can proceed with our lives?

Isn't there some kind of a failed governmental style that insists that everyone contributes to the whole, regardless of the benefit to the one?

ToriFreak13 3 years, 5 months ago

The twist of the knife...is that after WE pay for the parking...WE will still have to pay to park there. Thought there was a movement to end the ravaging of the earth to build more parking lots...

laughingatallofu 3 years, 5 months ago

Gotta admit it. Lawrence voters are pretty stupid.

Liberty_One 3 years, 5 months ago

The people of Lawrence just voted against their own interests. Oh well, you get what you deserve. I'm glad I left.

notajayhawk 3 years, 5 months ago

"Library leaders said they now will begin doing specific design work for the project."

Isn't that the same thing you suckers fell for with the mT - 'First give us the money, then we'll figure out how we're going to spend it?'

How'd that work out for ya'?

ToriFreak13 3 years, 5 months ago

First order of business for the governor and ag...investigate how the city pulled this off. I know there are not 12000 idiots in Lawrence. Obviously something smells reeeeeeally fishy.

Godot 3 years, 5 months ago

If this is the final outcome, then all real estate I own goes on the market in the spring. Hopefully I can find some other sucker to buy property in a county where the property owners (40%) pay for everyone else(60%) to have the amenities they think they deserve.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 3 years, 5 months ago

My family uses the library every week. It's a nice library. It's PAID FOR. This was the worst time for us to be putting $18M on a credit card for something we already have.

Americans are dumb about debt and spending. This library is an example of how little we understand the COST of things.

According to my math, we'd have to spend $3200 for each PERSON in Lawrence to earn enough sales taxes to pay for that library. So, my family would need to spend nearly $10K at retail stores to come up with our part of $18M. We are not wealthy west-side people. How many years of groceries would your family have to buy for you to pay your part? It's a staggering amount of money.

I'm pro-child (I have one). I'm pro-education (we have two master's degrees). I'm pro-library (we use it constantly). But just as much, I'm pro-common sense, and in this economy this is foolish spending.

Boston_Corbett 3 years, 5 months ago

I am guessing the library postings were 90% plus "no on the library" on these forums.

Remember that for the future.

Lori Nation 3 years, 5 months ago

Oh my you people amaze me, you vote for a parking garage I mean library. Now our taxes will go up but our wages here in the city and under those around us. Just amazing at what you people want as far as luxury wise. People have to work hard for what they have things are not given to them like most of you. We have lived here a while and I have maybe taken my kids to library 10 - 15 times this is just a waste of my taxes. PURE STUPIDITY!!

OldEnuf2BYurDad 3 years, 5 months ago

"this vote tonight shows that we really have weathered the economic storm" - Cromwell

Am I the only one, or is this an idiotic statement? What does a vote to build a library have to do with the state of the economy? Now that Lawrence voters have approved a new library, the unemployment rate has suddenly dropped? Banks are now lending again? KU is giving raises?

Did Cromwell notice that the GOP has swept the state for the first time since 1964? Why? Because of anti-incumbency fueled by the sorry state of the economy, that's why! We just voted everyone OUT of office because the voters do NOT see a change in the economy.

What a dumb statement to make.

walkthehawk 3 years, 5 months ago

the people of Lawrence have spoken. and, it's interesting to note, that for the most part precincts were pretty evenly split--even on the vaunted "west side" that supposedly is not well-served by this proposal (we live on the west side, and I get really tired of everything in town being made into an east vs. west issue--you live here; get involved and support your city, or move somewhere more to your liking, or just plain old shut up and get out of the way.) let's get it done--this will be a showpiece for our community and an investment in our kids. Brava.

mr_right_wing 3 years, 5 months ago

Last time around the transit tax passed and Obama was put in office!!

So, yeah, we have the library tax -- but a very bad night for dems.

Things are getting better.....

whats_going_on 3 years, 5 months ago

I hate that I have no way out of here sometimes. If it weren't for my family being here, and my job (which I'm not quite prepared to quit in this climate)...see ya.

gl0ck0wn3r 3 years, 5 months ago

Why does the Lawrence elite hate the working class? It is interesting to see the faux-progressives constantly advocate for one tax after another for supposed public goods whilst ignoring the tax burden of the proles they claim to represent. A vote against the tea party? Hardly. It's a vote against those that can afford to still own property in the Lawrence area - a group that is dwindling while the tax burden is increasing. Continue your spiral downward, Lawrence.

inglec 3 years, 5 months ago

It will be interesting to see if the same people who voted YES on the library expansion be the first ones complaining when their taxes go up.

storm 3 years, 5 months ago

Hooray, we get parking garage, and the developer employs illegals. Oh, that library, yeah right, I saw the floor plan, the teen room was right in the middle of the building...how much sense does that make? But we get a garage.

blue73harley 3 years, 5 months ago

Approved by the same people that voted for the Em-T. What a waste.

jreiling 3 years, 5 months ago

I would have thought that with the vast array of information on the internet, books read on Kindles, computers in nearly every household, renting movies through the television, that the library would not have nearly the visitors it would have in past years. I assume there is already a building contractor (well known in Lawrence) who has already planned this expensive project who is seeing very big dollar signs in his near future. This of course would mean that there won't be any need to "go out for bids." Get ready to get out your checkbooks Lawrence, this is only the beginning!

whats_going_on 3 years, 5 months ago

heyyyyyy eff you and uh----eff this toooooooooooooo

seriously, this is lame. Lawrence morons...you were just taken. Good work.

mr_right_wing 3 years, 5 months ago

Well.....we do have a number of republicans that will be assuming office.

Perhaps they can cut our taxes elsewhere to make up for the library tax......

We can hope...

notajayhawk 3 years, 5 months ago

Like I said on another thread:

It's reasons like this that the rest of Kansas is so happy Lawrence voters can't affect anything outside the city limits.

Trobs 3 years, 5 months ago

I'll assume that the 54% already go to the library and see a need for an expansion. Otherwise, what on god's green earth did you vote yes for.

kansasredlegs 3 years, 5 months ago

Now that it appears it's going to pass, do the citizens in this town get to vote on the plans for this new structure or was that something already decided without voter input? Also, will this go out for bid or have the local guys already been promised the contract?

Alabamastreet 3 years, 5 months ago

Can't wait to see the project done. Congrats to the moms and dads and kids who worked to make this happen.

Timothy Eugene 3 years, 5 months ago

You "threw the library vote int he face of the Tea Party?" What a dork comment. Your reaching. The Tea Party doesn't give a damn about your $18 million sinkhole. They have more important fish to fry.

Nikki May 3 years, 5 months ago

What the flip does the wasting of money have to do with the tea party and why does the link say 71% against when I click on it if it's a slim margin for?

jessibean 3 years, 5 months ago

I don't know how anyone could vote against this. A better library to serve our community and CHILDREN - I am so excited for this! Thank you to everyone who voted yes =)

Alabamastreet 3 years, 5 months ago

I am so pumped!!! One of the biggest elections in Lawrence history. Can you imagine in the face of the Tea Party we did it. Wooooo, hooooo!

PS, that's one tire shop going out of business too. See ya buddy, you rode the wrong horse to Larry.

friendlyjhawk 3 years, 5 months ago

Crap. Here goes $18 M down the drain when we shouldn't be spending it. And we thought things were bad BEFORE this election. Watch what happens now!

Alabamastreet 3 years, 5 months ago

Yes!!! Way to go Lawrence, we threw it in the face of the Tea Party tonight. I'm proud of ya!

MustHaveSalt 3 years, 5 months ago

Welllllllllllllllllllllllll, if it holds, some other entity will have a nice building and parking 20 years from now.