Archive for Monday, May 31, 2010

Man airlifted after struck by car

A man is in stable condition Monday after being run over by a vehicle early Monday morning. The man was transported to the hospital by air ambulance.

May 31, 2010, 2:36 a.m. Updated May 31, 2010, 5:38 a.m.

Emergency workers tend to a 24-year-old man who was hit by a car early Monday near Sixth Street and Crestline Drive. He was later flown to a Kansas City area hospital.

A 24-year-old man was flown to a Kansas City area hospital after he was hit by a car early Monday morning outside a Lawrence bar.

Emergency vehicles were dispatched to the 600 block of Crestline Drive at 1:57 a.m. Monday. Lawrence Police Sgt. Michael McLaren said a vehicle struck a pedestrian and left the scene traveling west on Sixth Street.

Lawrence police would not identify the pedestrian Monday, but said he was airlifted from the scene with facial lacerations and other serious injuries.

Lawrence Police Sgt. Dave Hubbel said the man’s condition was believed to have been stabilized by Monday afternoon.

According to Douglas County dispatchers, witnesses said the man may have been lying in the street outside the Ranch, 2515 W. Sixth St., when he was struck by the passing car.

Police are still searching for the vehicle, described as a silver Nissan Maxima driven by a white male with a white female passenger.

Anyone with information is urged to call the Douglas County CrimeStoppers Tips Hotline at 785-843-TIPS.

Comments

mdrndgtl 3 years, 10 months ago

That vehicle had to be traveling well above the limit when the pedestrian was struck. In '79 I was hit by a four-wheeler going 10 to 15 mph tops, and even at that speed I was airlifted around 3, maybe 4 feet.

Darwin 3 years, 10 months ago

Wouldn't the sentence be...lying on the street? Of course...the way some of the potholes are in Lawrence, one could indeed be in the street.

This incident is very unfortunate and while I don't have alot of sympathy for stupid drunk people or stupid people in general, someone should have at least reported a passed out subject on the street. There are alot of people who don't want the direct contact for fear of liability, so I can understand this...especially if you try to wake the subject and he or she becomes combative. The subject passed out on the street should be fined and pay to the full extent of the law. The same goes, for the driver of the hit and run vehicle.

EarthaKitt 3 years, 10 months ago

Clovis, if I weren't married....

KEITHMILES05 3 years, 10 months ago

What is more sad it appears LMH can't even treat anybody who is in any kind of an accident.

Charlie Sabotage 3 years, 10 months ago

Come on people! It's college! If you don't take AT LEAST one night and pass outin the street, risking your life, then it's not worth taking out the loans to be in school. Weigh the risks, getting an education against getting trashed and attempting to win in a car vs. drunken pedestrian war. CAR VS. PERSON is gonna beat education everytime.

twobigones 3 years, 10 months ago

lawdog with drinking, as its done Lawrence, the gentleman was simply on a pub crawl.

lawdog 3 years, 10 months ago

He was lying in the street, so was he hit before the other car ran over him? That would be my thought.

ksjayhawk74 3 years, 10 months ago

Walking around the student apartments area near campus on different occasions I've come across 3 students that were passed out, laying down either on the street, close to the street or in a parking lot.

Of course I would stop to get the guy up and tell him to go home.

Keep in mind I don't walk around that area at that time of night very often at all so more than likely, it happens all the time.

LJ Whirled 3 years, 10 months ago

Remember the message kids: If something bad happens, run like the wind! They may never catch you; and even if they do, the punishment will actually be LESS! Run! Run like the wind!

angelmom 3 years, 10 months ago

I drove by the ranch this morning on my way to work, I must have gone by right before that happened. All I know is there were a ton of people at that bar last night, and there were a lot of people standing around outside when I went by. Isn't there a limit to the number of people who can be in these places? There people holding what i assume was alcohol, is that permitted in Lawrence?

redneck 3 years, 10 months ago

Did the bartender try to call the guy a cab?

redneck 3 years, 10 months ago

Moral of the story is, don't get wasted and then try to walk home. Better yet, don't get wasted period. I like to drink as much as the next guy, but nothing good ever comes from getting wasted. I hope the guy recovers, and learns from this experience.

TrooGrit 3 years, 10 months ago

If ever I witness an accident where the driver flees, you can better well bet I'll be following, dialing 911, and turning them in by reporting their license plate number. We have become so inhumane, that hit and run is now the accepted rule, instead of the friggin' exception!

puddleglum 3 years, 10 months ago

I can see it now in the Kansas University 'welcome to campus' orientation newsletter:

If you get drunk and run over someone, just go home and sleep it off. Turn yourself in the next day, and claim "hey, I just thought I ran over a cat. But I wasn't drinking-I was going to get a father's day card down at dillons at 2:35am, because that is when they aren't that busy."

ku12345 3 years, 10 months ago

So someone gets hit by a car and is in bad condition and the only thing you guys can comment on it is the grammar of this article? You guys should be ashamed of yourselves, go find a life. I hope the family members of this person does not read this article due to the ignorant people that leave comments.

I hope he will be okay!

Bob Kraxner 3 years, 10 months ago

The only way that someone could run over anything in the street, would be, (A) driving on an unlit street without headlights, or, (B) being blind drunk while driving, or, (C) being blind, and attempting to drive. Otherwise, said object (or person) would have to be thrown, or fall, on the road in front of you while you were traveling at a high rate of speed. Failure to stop after such an accident is absolutely inexcusable.

grammaddy 3 years, 10 months ago

Lawrence is becoming "hit and run" capital of the state!

Caller Hunsaker 3 years, 10 months ago

My prayers go out to all involved. Wow how many hit and runs has this city had in the last 5 years involving peds or bicycles?

dani36921 3 years, 10 months ago

This is a really sad story. And the grammar means absolutely nothing, but to use the word laying, there has to be a direct object. Therefore it's still wrong.

I don't understand how someone can flee the scene.

Bill Lee 3 years, 10 months ago

I have to wonder what he was laying. Eggs? The correct word in this situation is lying. I can only hope this error is part of why the story was rewritten. HELP WANTED: Copy Editor. Apply at the Lawrence Journal World.

Donnuts 3 years, 10 months ago

This report has obviously been changed since the last comment.

sugarmagnolia 3 years, 10 months ago

"A man had reportedly been laying drunk on Crestline directly east of the Ranch when a car struck him and left the scene."

Does this mean people had seen him laying in the street before it happened? if so why didn't they get him out of the street / signal the car away from him?

my thoughts go out to those involved.