Archive for Monday, May 31, 2010

Man airlifted after struck by car

A man is in stable condition Monday after being run over by a vehicle early Monday morning. The man was transported to the hospital by air ambulance.

May 31, 2010, 2:36 a.m. Updated May 31, 2010, 5:38 a.m.

Emergency workers tend to a 24-year-old man who was hit by a car early Monday near Sixth Street and Crestline Drive. He was later flown to a Kansas City area hospital.

A 24-year-old man was flown to a Kansas City area hospital after he was hit by a car early Monday morning outside a Lawrence bar.

Emergency vehicles were dispatched to the 600 block of Crestline Drive at 1:57 a.m. Monday. Lawrence Police Sgt. Michael McLaren said a vehicle struck a pedestrian and left the scene traveling west on Sixth Street.

Lawrence police would not identify the pedestrian Monday, but said he was airlifted from the scene with facial lacerations and other serious injuries.

Lawrence Police Sgt. Dave Hubbel said the man’s condition was believed to have been stabilized by Monday afternoon.

According to Douglas County dispatchers, witnesses said the man may have been lying in the street outside the Ranch, 2515 W. Sixth St., when he was struck by the passing car.

Police are still searching for the vehicle, described as a silver Nissan Maxima driven by a white male with a white female passenger.

Anyone with information is urged to call the Douglas County CrimeStoppers Tips Hotline at 785-843-TIPS.

Comments

sugarmagnolia 4 years, 6 months ago

"A man had reportedly been laying drunk on Crestline directly east of the Ranch when a car struck him and left the scene."

Does this mean people had seen him laying in the street before it happened? if so why didn't they get him out of the street / signal the car away from him?

my thoughts go out to those involved.

Dirtman24 4 years, 6 months ago

I sure wouldn't be standing in the middle of 6th street at 2am when the bars are emptying out to wave a car away from him and take my chances to be ran over, if I seen him which I did as I heard it on my scanner was nasty, but as I was saying I would of called 911 and tried to pull him out of the street,

but my guess is those who reportedly seen him laying,lying, lieing and or laid or layed in the street was those from Cadillac Ranch and if it was they was already FUBAR be on all repair already so that would of made a bad situation even WORSE trying to get him out of the street....

Sad story even as I listened to my scanner, 24years old is to short of a life really and his/her family is in my prayers.....

Lastly, you got 2 Apartment complex right north of the Caddy Ranch, I have seen many and many drunks running across 6th street to Graystone apartments and the other one, I also had a close call myself as they just don't look (do to drunk) they just run right on out in the street and its gonna get worse before it gets better... If you look at the entrance to Graystone Apartments you'll see a cross in the ground to, so something needs to be done or there will be more like this.... Your in my prayers, 24 is to young

Bill Lee 4 years, 6 months ago

I have to wonder what he was laying. Eggs? The correct word in this situation is lying. I can only hope this error is part of why the story was rewritten. HELP WANTED: Copy Editor. Apply at the Lawrence Journal World.

Randall Barnes 4 years, 6 months ago

he could have been laying in the road.if someone walks by see you staggering and sits you on the curb and then you fall over, therefore you were placed so it would be correct,he could have been laying.

but back to the story i do hope he survives and my prayers go out to him and his family.

Bradley Kemp 4 years, 6 months ago

If someone laid him in the street, as you suggest, then he was lying in the street.

Fatty_McButterpants 4 years, 6 months ago

Seriously? This is what you have to contribute??

dani36921 4 years, 6 months ago

This is a really sad story. And the grammar means absolutely nothing, but to use the word laying, there has to be a direct object. Therefore it's still wrong.

I don't understand how someone can flee the scene.

missmagoo 4 years, 6 months ago

because the DA in Lawrence makes it worth your while to flee the scene as in the car vs. bike accident.....

the lesson learned there was go home, sleep it off then get caught or turn yourself in.. get slapped with a DWI and a couple misdemeanors.

Stuart Evans 4 years, 6 months ago

maybe they thought they'd run over a pothole...

Caller Hunsaker 4 years, 6 months ago

My prayers go out to all involved. Wow how many hit and runs has this city had in the last 5 years involving peds or bicycles?

grammaddy 4 years, 6 months ago

Lawrence is becoming "hit and run" capital of the state!

ku12345 4 years, 6 months ago

So someone gets hit by a car and is in bad condition and the only thing you guys can comment on it is the grammar of this article? You guys should be ashamed of yourselves, go find a life. I hope the family members of this person does not read this article due to the ignorant people that leave comments.

I hope he will be okay!

clovis_sangrail 4 years, 6 months ago

Sorry, but from all appearances, it looks as though the victim brought it on himself, so unless it was Stephen Hawking who was lying in the street pretending to be a speed bump, I don't much care.

I do, however, care about the declining standards of English usage in print media, not merely in the Journal World, but just about everywhere. I wasn't in copy editing class all that long ago, but I guarantee you that letting a lie/lay usage error get past me would have guaranteed an F for that day's work.

And so, I wholeheartedly and enthusiastically support anyone who makes an effort to give the Journal World copy desk a little guidance, regardless of the somber nature of the story in question. I only regret that I didn't get here until after it had been corrected.

(For those who care, a good explanation of the difference between "lie" and "lay": http://web.ku.edu/~edit/lie.html. Most of the commenters on this page would do well to read it.)

And by the by, your last sentence should read "the ignorant people who leave comments" rather than "the ignorant people that leave comments." Use "who" when referring to people and "that" when referring to things.

Jayhawk2001 4 years, 6 months ago

Clovis, you are a jerk. This guy was almost killed, and you are complaining about grammar. I know this person and have talked to someone who was there. For what its worth, he bending down tying his shoe.

clovis_sangrail 4 years, 6 months ago

In that case, perhaps you could get with him and explain to him that the tying of one's shoe is an activity best effected outside the bounds of a busy roadway, especially at closing time.

Stuart Evans 4 years, 6 months ago

probably going to be a velcro situation for the next several years.

Jayhawk2001 4 years, 6 months ago

Wow. Anonymous thinks he's a funny guy. I hope you never get hit by a drunk driver. No one will show up to your funeral.

puddleglum 4 years, 6 months ago

I can see it now in the Kansas University 'welcome to campus' orientation newsletter:

If you get drunk and run over someone, just go home and sleep it off. Turn yourself in the next day, and claim "hey, I just thought I ran over a cat. But I wasn't drinking-I was going to get a father's day card down at dillons at 2:35am, because that is when they aren't that busy."

redneck 4 years, 6 months ago

Moral of the story is, don't get wasted and then try to walk home. Better yet, don't get wasted period. I like to drink as much as the next guy, but nothing good ever comes from getting wasted. I hope the guy recovers, and learns from this experience.

redneck 4 years, 6 months ago

Did the bartender try to call the guy a cab?

angelmom 4 years, 6 months ago

I drove by the ranch this morning on my way to work, I must have gone by right before that happened. All I know is there were a ton of people at that bar last night, and there were a lot of people standing around outside when I went by. Isn't there a limit to the number of people who can be in these places? There people holding what i assume was alcohol, is that permitted in Lawrence?

ku12345 4 years, 6 months ago

There is a limit because they can only hold as many people as the fire marshall lets them, also at any bar in town you are not aloud to take alcohol outside the bar unless it is on a smokers patio.

ksjayhawk74 4 years, 6 months ago

Walking around the student apartments area near campus on different occasions I've come across 3 students that were passed out, laying down either on the street, close to the street or in a parking lot.

Of course I would stop to get the guy up and tell him to go home.

Keep in mind I don't walk around that area at that time of night very often at all so more than likely, it happens all the time.

Stuart Evans 4 years, 6 months ago

I wouldn't actually get out to help them up. It could be a trick to rob you.

lawdog 4 years, 6 months ago

He was lying in the street, so was he hit before the other car ran over him? That would be my thought.

Charlie Sabotage 4 years, 6 months ago

Come on people! It's college! If you don't take AT LEAST one night and pass outin the street, risking your life, then it's not worth taking out the loans to be in school. Weigh the risks, getting an education against getting trashed and attempting to win in a car vs. drunken pedestrian war. CAR VS. PERSON is gonna beat education everytime.

KEITHMILES05 4 years, 6 months ago

What is more sad it appears LMH can't even treat anybody who is in any kind of an accident.

clovis_sangrail 4 years, 6 months ago

I do not know what impresses me more -- the lovely sentiment or the correct use of the subjunctive mood, which we so seldom see employed properly nowadays as the barbarians more and more assail the language..

Darwin 4 years, 6 months ago

Wouldn't the sentence be...lying on the street? Of course...the way some of the potholes are in Lawrence, one could indeed be in the street.

This incident is very unfortunate and while I don't have alot of sympathy for stupid drunk people or stupid people in general, someone should have at least reported a passed out subject on the street. There are alot of people who don't want the direct contact for fear of liability, so I can understand this...especially if you try to wake the subject and he or she becomes combative. The subject passed out on the street should be fined and pay to the full extent of the law. The same goes, for the driver of the hit and run vehicle.

mdrndgtl 4 years, 6 months ago

That vehicle had to be traveling well above the limit when the pedestrian was struck. In '79 I was hit by a four-wheeler going 10 to 15 mph tops, and even at that speed I was airlifted around 3, maybe 4 feet.