Archive for Thursday, May 27, 2010

Self praises Perkins’ response to scam

May 27, 2010

Bill Self applauds Kansas University’s response to the secretive ticket scam by several former athletic department employees that resulted in the sale of at least $1.03 million worth of basketball and football tickets to brokers and individual buyers.

“The report being released is obviously big news, but this is something Lew has been dealing with for an extended period of time,” Self, KU’s basketball coach, said Wednesday after a news conference in which KU Chancellor Bernadette Gray-Little and athletic director Lew Perkins spoke about the findings of a Wichita law firm looking into allegations of wrongdoing in the athletic department and Williams Fund.

“In the time he’s known about this, he’s handled it in a way to expedite the process. I thought Lew and the chancellor and everyone at the front table (including university general counsel Jim Pottorff and Jack Focht of law firm Foulston Siefkin) handled it the way it could be handled — precisely and matter-of-factly. Certainly you can’t change what has happened,” Self added, “but you can take measures to put different safeguards in place, which he (Perkins) has worked hard on.

“I thought the situation today was handled very well, even though it was the releasing of some negative information, still the message was clear in how they handled it.”

Self hopes a situation in which athletic-department employees manipulate the system never happens again.

“I can’t believe that it will. I’m not in the know, (but) I hope not,” he said. “I know steps are being taken to prevent going through this again. It is a negative for our university and athletic department, but also a day that had to happen. Our administration knew it would happen for a couple months, and they moved quickly.”

One of KU’s most prominent athletic donors, Dana Anderson, said Wednesday night that he was pleased Perkins accepted blame for misdeeds in Perkins’ own department.

“I think he has to take responsibility. I think he did,” Anderson said from his home in California. “He’s done a lot of, I think, really good things for KU athletics.

“Embezzlement is not a relatively uncommon thing. That essentially is what this is, (former employees) finding a way to put money in your pocket illegally. I think he did the right thing to stand up and say the buck stops here, (that) ‘I’m responsible.’

“On balance, unless there’s something I’m unaware of, that he tried to shelter some people, I don’t think it’s grounds to terminate him (Perkins).”

Anderson added: “I think he (Perkins) has done some great things for Kansas athletics in the financial arena — providing impetus for people (donors) to do some things that needed to be done. I give him a lot of credit for that. Certainly this is not a plus on his resume, not a good thing that happened. He said it’s his responsibility. I don’t consider this grounds for termination.”

Anderson stressed that, “people embezzling is not a unique thing in businesses, charities. It happens, but systems can be put in place to make it a lot more difficult. Of course, you could be a critic and say put these (safeguards) in place before some things happen.”

Comments

martyks 3 years, 10 months ago

I agree. Coach Self should shrug his shoulders and say, "I have no comment on that. I'm concentrating on my players and my team." and just let Lew do what Lew needs to. Honestly, I like the man, but sometimes, the top has to be let go to give the university a chance to put a clean image forward. Accept his resignation, THEN praise him.

whats_going_on 3 years, 10 months ago

I don't know, I think Self should stay out of this. He's already friendly with some of the names flying around...seems a little suspicious to me.

tange 3 years, 10 months ago

Oh, I don't know. Self-praise? Rather unbecoming..

gl0ck0wn3r 3 years, 10 months ago

Here's a question: what is Jones's relationship with members of Self's staff?

california 3 years, 10 months ago

Barclay: Really? Are you serious? Come up with a better analogy or go to a non sports (maybe try a religious) blog.

Self should stay out of this if he can...

Barclay 3 years, 10 months ago

When the idol Dagon was tipped over by God in the Old Testament his worshippers had to prop him back up. The next day he was found on the floor again- chopped into pieces by an unseen sword. Idols always fail their worshippers.

tophawk87 3 years, 10 months ago

Bill Self is getting stink all over himself by "defending" Lew. Hopefully, Lew will step down in the next few days.

cheeseburger 3 years, 10 months ago

I'm a Self supporter, but I'm not sure it does his stock much good to come out in support of someone who is widely hated and distrusted, and has admitted to ineptitude and lack of institututional control within his department. Additionally, given that the coach is on the periphery of this case anyway, it might be better to refrain from commenting, especially if anything becomes of this Perkins/Self/Pumpx2/Morningstar connection.

cheeseburger 3 years, 10 months ago

The 'schnoz' has already accepted responsibility for all the illegal, inappropriate, and unethical happenings - that in itself is enough for the chancellor to cut him loose.

But she won't - remember how quickly she came to his aid and defense in the Mangino debacle after only being on the job for a few days? Figuratively, of course, methinks those two are in bed with each other!

Do the right thing chancellor - restore integrity to the university - and start by replacing the AD!

Robert Rauktis 3 years, 10 months ago

I think the athletic department should move to a new level. (Athletic double talk.) Apply the same criteria he used on Mangino; let his head roll. With that nose, it won't go far. Marchiony can put it in a bag.

Steve Miller 3 years, 10 months ago

They are all looking for friends at this point.

avoice 3 years, 10 months ago

lee_go, your analogy refers to a single employee acting alone. What we have here is an operation involving several people over a long period of time. Should a manager take some responsibility if his entire staff has organized a little side business for themselves by stealing from the company? Absolutely!!!!!!!!

Lee Eldridge 3 years, 10 months ago

Keithmiles05, you're wrong IMO. If a casheir at Subway is stuffing money in her pocket, should the store's manager be fired? If an employee at a clothing store steals clothes from the store and sells them on ebay, should the store's manager be fired?

This happens on a small scale and on a large scale in business every day. Unfortunately there are dishonest people in the world. And dishonest people find ways to lie, cheat and steal. Every situation has to be dealt with from it's own set of circumstances and details. This could have happened under any athletic director, and any chancellor, at any university. And it's likely happening at a number of universities other than KU right now.

It's certainly a black eye for the university, but nationally this really isn't that big of a story. It will wash away rather quickly. And unless Perkins was somehow involved, or has tried to shield friends from the investigation, then you don't hold him accountable for something he couldn't have predicted.

KEITHMILES05 3 years, 10 months ago

Sorry, but I totally disagree with Anderson. Perkins needs to go. This is ENOUGH and every time it happens he swears "it'll never happen again." He's done his work for KU. He needs to leave for the betterment of the university. I'm just hopin Dr. Gray-Little can put that thought into his head and allow him to resign gracefully. If not then she needs to dismiss him.

anon1958 3 years, 10 months ago

So Bill Self has a new KU athletic corporation job, cheerleader. LOL what a toady.