Archive for Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Moped rider in serious condition after wreck with motorcycle

May 25, 2010, 11:12 a.m. Updated May 26, 2010, 1:21 a.m.

One of three people injured in a weekend motorcycle accident near Lawrence Municipal Airport remains in serious condition.

A spokesman for Kansas University Hospital confirmed that 22-year-old Lawrence resident Linda Green was listed in serious condition Tuesday. Green was driving a moped east on U.S. Highway 24-40 Sunday afternoon, when she slowed to turn left and was struck by a passing motorcycle. The accident report said that Green signaled with her hand that she was making a right turn, not a left turn.

Two people on the motorcycle were also taken to Kansas City-area hospitals. Condition updates were not available Tuesday for the driver, 53-year-old Lansing resident David Stringer, or his passenger, 44-year-old Lori Farley, of Lecompton.

Comments

theking 4 years, 7 months ago

The woman on the motorcycle was in another wreck just a few days ago. Yikes. http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2010/may...

Kent Fisher 4 years, 7 months ago

theking's comment was probably in jest since the original article did not mention a moped.

50YearResident 4 years, 7 months ago

Turning left (across traffic) when signaling a right turn is not a good idea, and a traffic infraction! Mopeds are not safe on roads with a 55 MPH speed limit when their top speeds are well below 55.

Graczyk 4 years, 7 months ago

Vespa makes several models that go well above 55 mph. Their fastest model goes almost 100 mph. Though I couldn't imagine wanting to go that fast on a scooter.

HW 4 years, 7 months ago

A scooter and a moped are two different things.

Graczyk 4 years, 7 months ago

Oops, sorry. I failed to recognize the difference between a moped and a scooter. Thanks for pointing that out.

Steve Jacob 4 years, 7 months ago

To be honest, I was behind a truck with no lights a week ago, they stuck out their arm to signal a turn, and I had no idea which way he was turning. So you never know if she signaled wrong, or the others read it wrong.

ksjayhawk74 4 years, 7 months ago

Arm straight out means left turn. Forearm sticking up means right turn. Forearm sticking down means stop.

svdbygrce 4 years, 7 months ago

Lori (44 year old) is the one that this article is about.............She is the one that was air lifted to KU med and is in serious condition not Linda Green. Just wanted to clear that up!

svdbygrce 4 years, 7 months ago

sure with LJW would get their facts straight before the make a story about it!!!

Alexander Neighbors 4 years, 7 months ago

I think this would be a scooter " FAIL "....... Driving a scooter on the hwy....."FAIL" Using the wrong hand turn signal while stopped on a scooter on the HWY......"Double Fail"

I am afraid to even run out of gas or get a flat tire and be on the side of the hwy.

bluebunny 4 years, 7 months ago

seems like everyone is blaming the moped driver- perhaps it was her fault. but what if the motorcyclist simply read her signal wrong? it happens. would it have hurt to slow down and wait to see what she did? motorcyclists complain often (and quite rightly) about people not respecting their space on the road, but it does work both ways. you never know what people on the road are gonna do at the last minute; i'm constantly surprised/amazed by the driving skills of others. and, while 24/40 is, technically, a highway it is nowhere near as intense as, say, 70 or I-35.

Hoots 4 years, 7 months ago

I don't care what she signaled. You pay attention and don't run into other objects. I ride a motorcycle every day. No matter what you drive or ride...pay attention. There are no excuses. If I crash I wasn't paying attention or someone hit me...