Archive for Sunday, May 23, 2010

Two die in 5-vehicle accident in northeast Kansas

May 23, 2010

Two women died in this five-vehicle pileup near the northeast Kansas town of Linwood.

— Two women were killed Saturday in a five-vehicle pileup near Linwood.

The Kansas Highway Patrol identified the victims as 66-year-old Barbara S. Helton and 45-year-old Patricia S. Helton, both of Nortonville.

The Kansas Highway Patrol gave the following details about the accident on its website:

The accident happened at 2:55 p.m. Saturday when a Chevrolet truck southbound on 222nd Street driven by David B. Cluck, 46, of Troy, failed to stop at a stop sign and struck a 1996 GMC truck that was eastbound on Kansas Highway 32. The Chevy truck continued south through the intersection after the initial collision, and struck a 1995 Toyota SUV carrying three people, a 2004 Harley-Davidson motorcycle with two riders, and a 2006 Chevrolet coupe driven by an Ohio man.

David Cluck, the driver of the Chevrolet truck, and Jeannette D. Cluck, another passenger in the Chevrolet truck, were injured and taken to a hospital. Neither they, nor the Nortonville women who were ejected and killed, were wearing seatbelts.

The driver of the GMC truck, Michael W. Sprowl, 40 of Bonner Springs, suffered an unspecified injury.

The Toyota SUV carried three people. The driver, Dylan J. Faulconer, 18, of Tonganoxie, suffered an unspecified injury. Justin D. Paul, 20 of Springfield, Mass., and Jordan Briones, 18 of Kansas City, also suffered unspecified injuries.

The motorcycle driver, Dennis J. Maurer, 55, of Oskaloosa, and his passenger, Cheryl L. Maurer, 49, of Oskaloosa, were not injured. The driver of the Chevrolet coupe, Nicholas P. Patneaude of Defiance, Ohio, suffered an unspecified injury.

Comments

Deja Coffin 4 years, 11 months ago

I think I heard about this accident last night.... my mom called making sure I wasn't driving around that area. So sad for all involved. Does anyone know what the north/south bound road was? Was it County Rd 1? My thoughts and prayers go out to the women's families and I pray that anyone else injured has a quick and complete recovery.

countrydoll 4 years, 11 months ago

It was at the corner of County Road 1 and Hwy 32

Kat Christian 4 years, 11 months ago

was he drinking, on the cell phone or just not paying attention?

Deja Coffin 4 years, 11 months ago

He wasn't familiar with the area and wasn't from here so it could have just been that he wasn't paying attention. He was on the way to his son's wedding..... which was literally right down the road.

countrydoll 4 years, 11 months ago

Also since the widen County Road 1 they didn't put up a bigger stop sign, I have seen tons of people just blow thru it. This was just a matter of time coming... My thoughts a prayers go out to everyone involved!

Deja Coffin 4 years, 11 months ago

Very true. That road is full of intersections that the north/south bound traffic doesn't have to stop at so he could have thought it was another intersection without a stop sign. Just praying that those injured have a quick and full recovery and thinking of the families that lost loved ones. A horrible tragedy.... especially on a day that was meant to be special because of a wedding.

Deja Coffin 4 years, 11 months ago

Learn to read... I didn't defend anyone. I merely gave an opinion and was open to other people's thoughts. It might be a hard concept for you but that's how I communicate.

windjammer 4 years, 11 months ago

Why don't you have the government restrict the highways to only bicycles? Give me a break.

Deja Coffin 4 years, 11 months ago

Oh my gosh, the driver that drove through that stop sign..... his son was getting married yesterday. I can't believe this.... my heart breaks for all involved.

1234 4 years, 11 months ago

The motorcyclist were not injured....... Damn good rider or lucky or little of both! Good job keeping that thing upright!

cfdxprt 4 years, 11 months ago

This is an article about people dying. Your ad will get removed. Karma starts with a b-word sometimes. Spam somewhere else.

Xwards 4 years, 11 months ago

I guess it's the Tonganoxie/Eudora Road, just south of the new turnpike interchange.

Deja Coffin 4 years, 11 months ago

It is.... my parents were headed to a graduation party in Tonganoxie and passed that truck about 2-3 minutes before the wreck at Cantrell Rd.