Archive for Friday, May 21, 2010

Lawrence man charged with rape

May 21, 2010

The Douglas County District Attorney’s office has filed a rape charge against a 26-year-old Lawrence man.

The suspect was booked into the Douglas County Jail early Thursday morning after a woman reported being sexually assaulted at a residence in south central Lawrence.

The 27-year-old victim reported the man, who was known to her, sexually assaulted her about 11:30 p.m. Wednesday.

The suspect appeared in Douglas County District Court Thursday afternoon, where a judge set his bond at $50,000.

His next court date is scheduled for Tuesday.

Comments

xfactor 4 years, 7 months ago

middlemgmt 4 years, 7 months ago

I'm glad she was strong enough to turn him in. Her doing so could keep someone else safe in the future. I hope she is okay and has a strong support system to help her through this.

LadyJ 4 years, 7 months ago

That apartment building has a bad reputation.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 7 months ago

Uh LadyJ, maybe I'm missing something but seems all it says is "south central lawrence" residence. there are quite a few apartment complexes in that general area.

$50,000 bond. good. hope he can't make his bail.

1029 4 years, 7 months ago

the south central lawrence apartment complex is the most ghetto apartment complex in all of lawrence. they need to shut that place down.

lawthing 4 years, 7 months ago

The ghetto apartment is not the one that did the raping!

kernal 4 years, 7 months ago

Why does the LJW not state the names of persons charged with crimes such as rape and child molestation until after conviction as other newspapers do?

LadyJ 4 years, 7 months ago

I would assume so those falsely accused do not have their reputations ruined.

kernal 4 years, 7 months ago

I'm 99.9% sure that is why, but I originally posed the question differently and it was deleted. It had to do with safety of others in the community when those charged bond out and commit the same crimes against others.

LadyJ 4 years, 7 months ago

Good thing we have other sources then.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 4 years, 7 months ago

Most other media outlets (KC and Topeka) print names of accused offenders. I think that Dolph and his crew are trying to make some sort of imaginary moral high ground out of this. The sheriff's department posts arrests on their web site. Who needs the JW?

impska 4 years, 7 months ago

I actually believe their stated reason is that the information might be used to identify the victim.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 7 months ago

LadyJ: I was refering to his address, which is in that area. That building and the complex across the street are ruining the area.

---thanks for clarifying. and yes, good thing we have other sources.

LadyJ 4 years, 7 months ago

How interesting, yesterday someone in the same building, same floor, two apartments away, was arrested for battery and crimminal restraint. Lovely tenants you got there.

snayxerz 4 years, 7 months ago

this is about a woman being raped not about the lowering of property values in a specific part of town. there have been rapes in several apartment complexes all over Lawrence, not just in the south central part of Lawrence. Calling out a particular complex isn't going to change what has already happened.

LadyJ 4 years, 7 months ago

Nobody was trying to diminish the dispicable act of rape, but not one word was said about property values, it's about where he lived and ruining what used to be a very nice neighborhood because the owners are more concerned about their pocketbooks than what kind of tenants they rent to. I know of some of the nicer complexes run criminal background checks on all tenant applicants before they rent to them. The type of tenant you rent to will probably determine what kind of activities will occur there, although bad things can happen in nice places, but these apartments have a much higher crime rate than others. The quality of life for the individual homeowners in that area has taken a definite decline. Most of the time you can't go an entire night without getting woke up because of the noise and drunks stumble around the street yelling in the middle of the day. Does this go on in your neighborhood, bet you wouldn't like it. Makes one think you have a vested interest in this place. If your daughter was looking for a place to live, wouldn't you want to know where not to let her live?

LadyJ 4 years, 7 months ago

So I decided to go to the sex offenders registry, whoa, guess what address and apartment popped up?

Clickker 4 years, 7 months ago

Anyone think maybe the guy could be innocent?

He said, she said

papst2002 4 years, 7 months ago

He is innocent. I have known both of the people involved for many years.

lionheart72661 4 years, 7 months ago

Clickker, i agree...we are too quick to condemn people of a crime they may not have even committed. Now i am not saying this guy is innocent or guilty all I know is this, Some couples do have consentual sexual relations and when one party gets angry or upset or scared they use the rape card. Example: I was married and living in Texas, I had a 15 yr old step daughter. I came home from work one day to find her crying, Asking what was wrong she said this boy (16 at the time) she was seeing had raped her. I went immediately down to his house where he lived with his older sister and asked her if she knew what happened. She then proceeded to tell me the whole story (no need to go into detail)! I went home and basically asked if she had at anytime said "NO" or tried to get away. Not suprisingly she said no she did not. she then told me that she was afraid she was pregnant and scared. I coulda called the cops immediately and had him arrested but investigated it myself and got the truth. So you see don't condemn the guy yet. WE DON'T KNOW!

LadyJ 4 years, 7 months ago

He could definately have made a better choice in roommates.

papst2002 4 years, 7 months ago

They weren't roommates. For someone who has so much to say, you sure don't find facts to back up what you state

LadyJ 4 years, 7 months ago

Got his address from the Douglas County Sherriff's Booking Recap website and the address of the sex offender from the Kansas Sex Offenders Registry. If the Registry lists the sex offenders address wrong, your friend should contact them.

snayxerz 4 years, 7 months ago

this is a college town drunks are everywhere should we only allow people who are not going to be getting wasted downtown. you can't judge everyone that lives on that side of town by the actions of a couple of people. Finding affordable housing in lawrence can be rough and for some people they have no option but to find an apartment where they can. as for the sex offender registry that list is full of people that have no business being on there. face it in todays world no place is free from people that have not made one mistake or another and im not minimizing that im just saying your anger should be directed towards the person who committed the crime, and above all remember that he is innocent until proven guilty. as for having a vested interest in that place, no way, i have lived there and when i lived there i luckily had no problems. i currently live on the southside of town and i have no problem walking late at night and getting woken up.

LadyJ 4 years, 7 months ago

How about going back for a week, then get back to us. Didn't say all of the South side, just between 24th and 26th and Ousdahl and Iowa. Things have changed a lot, especially at Cedarwood in the last two years. There is more crime there per person than other apartments and should be addressed. Are you saying the crime should just be ignored. As for sex offender registry, yeah I guess the 6 and 9 yr old probably consented or just made it up and the jury was misguided.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 7 months ago

---Ladyj: I've often thought that the local law enforcement should do something special for that part of town. would include a couple blocks east too.
get a dozen or more uniformed LEO's, line 'em up. another six or ten lined up at the other end of that area. then, a few officers for perimeter on the third and fourth sides. your first line of a dozen officers slowly walks through the whole neighborhood, knocking on doors, looking, sniffing, asking questions, getting ID's, asking for permission to search, etc. if no permission granted, then make note of the ID of person refusing for future special attention.
in other words, a good old fashioned 'dragnet.' do that randomly three or four times and the quality of life for everybody who still lives there will dramatically improve.

oh yeah, when they do this, have the lpd pattywagon standing by there maybe also borrow one of the law enforcement helicopters from KHP or some other authority, too.

LadyJ 4 years, 7 months ago

Don't forget the interpreter. I had to laugh the other day when the ice cream wagon came by. You know how they always play loud music to attract the kids? Well he was playing "La Cucaracha" over the loud speakers.

snayxerz 4 years, 7 months ago

i didn't say that person in particular but some of those people on that list made a mistake when they were children themselves.

snook3200 4 years, 7 months ago

This is what shows how uneducated people are. The apartment complex in this area does not have all bad people living there. And if you check your resources there is more crimes with more tenants in other areas. It just dont look as pretty where there has been reputations set in peoples minds. People like you making comments about people in places you know nothing about is what is hurting this town. Hurt everyone and everyplace that is not up to your standards. You should think about the people that have had to move into not so good apartments or living areas in any town due to loss of job, or down on luck due to illness of a spouse instead of saying all people in this area are bad. I live here. And i Have never committed a crime, dont drink and dont do drugs. Raising children on honor roll and a college student with a 3.98 gpa, check yourself before you say things about people you know nothing about. Shame on you.

LadyJ 4 years, 7 months ago

So your saying one bad tenant doesn't make a place bad, but one good person makes a place good? Interesting logic, sorry if I don't agree. Plus, my standards aren't that high but I think people should obey the law and be considerate of their neighbors. Is that too much to ask?

papst2002 4 years, 7 months ago

I agree. Look, I'm a student and I work, I barely make ends meet, but I find myself living in the ghetto. I WISH people were more considerate of their neighbors, if they were I doubt these complexes would be as bad as they are.