Archive for Thursday, May 20, 2010

One arrested after road rage altercation

May 20, 2010

A 20-year-old Lawrence woman was arrested early Thursday morning after being involved in a road rage incident.

According to Lawrence Police Sgt. Ted Bordman, the incident reportedly began after two groups of individuals were involved in an altercation at Wilde's Chateau, 2412 Iowa St. The two groups entered different vehicles and left the area heading north on Iowa Street shortly before 2 a.m.

Bordman said one of the occupants of one vehicle allegedly threw a bottle at the other car and swerved into the other vehicle on several occasions. A passenger in the vehicle called police as the incident was in progress, fearing for their safety.

Bordman said the two vehicles turned and headed east on 23rd Street. The vehicles drove past Massachusetts street, where an officer was able to witness the incident in progress.

The suspect vehicle then attempted to make a right-hand turn where there was no turn. The result was a vehicle accident in which the vehicle's occupants, one man and three women, were not injured.

The 20-year-old driver of the suspect vehicle was booked into the Douglas County Jail about 2:52 a.m. on charges of aggravated assault.

Comments

autie 3 years, 11 months ago

Oh, great, my humor gets bushwhacked and Quivira gets this up? My post wasn't even close to being that insensitive.

Clark Coan 3 years, 11 months ago

Kris_H 3 years, 11 months ago

I agree, women drivers do a lot of bird-flippin' and trash-talkin', but I still think it's less common for them to say, chase down another vehicle and try to bump it or run it off the road. I guess it depends on how you define road rage.

I sure wish I had caught the removed comment that got the "LOL" before it got zapped. :)

TrooGrit 3 years, 11 months ago

They should have settled it at Wilde's Chateau...with a food fight!

autie 3 years, 11 months ago

I'm with the others who take issue with calling this "road rage." It sounds more like a bar fight that took to the road.

Un huh...but don't make light of the issue. You might get a bingo.

Mister 3 years, 11 months ago

Sounds like they're from Eudora. How dare them bring such horrific behavior to Lawrence.

Pywacket 3 years, 11 months ago

Also wondering, if the driver was the only one arrested, why her passengers got a free pass. Was she actually the one who threw a bottle--while driving? Not saying it would be impossible or even unlikely--just wondering if her passengers were simply a captive audience or actively involved in the hostility.

I've never heard of the bar they were at. Is that a new incarnation of a long-established night spot?

militant 3 years, 11 months ago

As I merged onto K-10 yesterday at the speed limit, I received a middle-finger salute (both hands) from a woman whose day was apparently spoiled by having another car on the road. I smiled and waved back. Lacking the ingenuity to pass, she rode my bumper for the next mile. I smiled as I thought of what a nice day it will be for whomever she goes home to.

autie 3 years, 11 months ago

gsxr600 3 years, 11 months ago

Wasn't it pride night at Chateau?

Boston_Corbett 3 years, 11 months ago

yea, they are giving real road ragers a bad name. These were parking lot ragers.

matthewjherbert 3 years, 11 months ago

booked on aggravated assault.............and DUI perhaps?

Bob Kraxner 3 years, 11 months ago

Sounds just like nascar to me, get drunk, get in a fight, then go racin ! ! !

Kris_H 3 years, 11 months ago

If it was really road rage, it would be an unusual scenario for the instigating driver to be a woman. Not saying it doesn't happen, it's just not nearly as common as for men to be doing it. This does sound more like a fight that just happened to get carried on after everyone got in the cars.

But who cares--the suspect got arrested and one more Lawrence citizen causing trouble in their own fair city was off the street long enough to calm down, we hope.

homechanger 3 years, 11 months ago

How does this qualify as "road rage". The problem started at a bar then the chase ensued. True road rage starts on the road. Usually caused by one party driving poorly and pissing someone like me off. I am the king of road rage!

RoeDapple 3 years, 11 months ago

There's never a driveway where you need one . . .

kernal 3 years, 11 months ago

close the bars @11pm week nights, 1am on Saturdays and no driver's license until 21. Hey, if you can't act like mature adults, you shouldn't be treated as one. That should cut the texting drivers by 50%.

grammaddy 3 years, 11 months ago

Wilde's Chateau will be the new hot spot. Wonderful.

greenworld 3 years, 11 months ago

No last call or club axis so now they are just driving around trying to kill one another.

cheeseburger 3 years, 11 months ago

Can you say 'officials are determining if alcohol was a factor'?

Chris Ogle 3 years, 11 months ago

"The suspect vehicle then attempted to make a right-hand turn where there was no turn"

Smart guy, really smart.