Archive for Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Man hit while crossing Massachusetts Street

A man who did not use the crosswalk was hit by an SUV in the 1000 block of Massachusetts.

May 18, 2010

A man crossing Massachusetts Street was hit by an SUV at about 9:30 p.m. Tuesday.

According to Lawrence Police Department Sgt. Dave Hubbel, the man was crossing Massachusetts Street in the 1000 block and did not use a crosswalk. An SUV traveling southbound hit the man. He had non-life threatening injuries.

Check back with LJWorld.com for more updates.

Comments

mdrndgtl 4 years, 4 months ago

compmd 4 years, 4 months ago

Two stars, time to take the car in for a paint job, or jump out, press triangle, and get a new one.

kusp8 4 years, 4 months ago

Nah...just enter the right cheat code and you can reset your star level...that or just get the chainsaw and hijack a different car...preferably a armored money carrier...that way your time is self-rewarding.

(of course I'm kidding).

boothillbilly 4 years, 4 months ago

Given that it is Mass. Street, I think the following can be assumed:

1. The victim was crossing the street in the middle of the street, not at a designated crosswalk OR at a crosswalk, but crossing against the light

2. The victim was not paying attention, but instead stepped in the road expecting cars to stop like they do up at KU (perhaps listening to iPod/talking on cell phone?)

3. The SUV was traveling ridiculously fast for a downtown street

4. Driver was searching for a parking spot.

workinghard 4 years, 4 months ago

Don't forget texting while crossing the street, I see a lot of that.

Stuart Evans 4 years, 4 months ago

We must immediately ban texting and walking!! no, there's no need to do a study. it sounds dangerous, and there's speculation that it may have been involved in a walking accident. therefor all texting and walking should be banned!!!

kusp8 4 years, 4 months ago

HAHAHA!!! I agree! Ban texting and walking!!! OR!!! Let's ban walking as that, IMHO, is the TRUE reason this accident occured.

jafs 4 years, 4 months ago

Actually, texting while walking is only a little bit stupider than texting while driving.

I see people walking around paying absolutely no attention to where they're walking while they text.

What ever happened to simply paying attention to what you're doing?

somedude20 4 years, 4 months ago

I have photos of you j-walking and flipping off a car two weeks ago. If you do not send me a pizza by 1 PM PST, I will send the pics to the LJW.

waswade 4 years, 4 months ago

let me guess, he wasn't using the crosswalk.

yankeevet 4 years, 4 months ago

He most likely had a cell phone; or an IPOD stuck in his head; and was not paying attention.

Jeff Cuttell 4 years, 4 months ago

Was it a Pedi cab that hit him?

Jeff Cuttell 4 years, 4 months ago

probably couldn't hear him pedalling

ralphralph 4 years, 4 months ago

They need to require playing cards clothespinned on the fork so they slap the spokes as they spin by ... loud enough for fair warning, and cool fun to boot!

Boston_Corbett 4 years, 4 months ago

That's some fancy watching, Multi. We gotta get you a movie channel.

mr_right_wing 4 years, 4 months ago

I'm relieved to hear it wasn't another hit-and-run. Stick to those crosswalks and obey the crosswalk signs!

Richard Heckler 4 years, 4 months ago

Driving too fast, maybe driver had beer or road rage = arrest the driver for not paying attention.

If the driver was in a hurry why be on Mass Street?

jafs 4 years, 4 months ago

So the pedestrian bears no responsibility at all?

ralphralph 4 years, 4 months ago

[note: I'm not making this up] Yesterday, I was driving down a county road out at the edge of the Flint Hills when a cowboy on horseback came out from behind a hedgerow talking on his cell phone. I swore he was going to ride right out in front of me. I just froze, not wanting to hit the horse or to spook it by honking, and the critter saw me and geed (or hawed, or something) out of my way. My first incident of texting-while-moseying.

verity 4 years, 4 months ago

That is just laugh out loud funny. Yes, inquiring minds want to know---what did the cowboy do?

overthemoon 4 years, 4 months ago

dang that's funny. what did the cowboy do?

OldEnuf2BYurDad 4 years, 4 months ago

It doesn't really matter if it was a crosswalk or not. In this town, few drivers respect the crosswalk.

Boeing 4 years, 4 months ago

Except it does...Kansas law explicitly states that if the pedestrian is in a crosswalk, he/she has right of way; if a pedestrian crosses outside a crosswalk, the driver has right of way. In this case, the pedestrian was at fault by Kansas law.

kernal 4 years, 4 months ago

I work downtown and drive around there everyday. I can't tell you how many times people step right into the street from behind a parked truck or SUV and you don't see them until they are right in front of you. I coast on Mass, foot hovering over the brake, not the accelerator. I've almost hit too many idiots not looking where they are going. Ditto for being a pedestrian. You have to look to make sure someone isn't going to hit you when you are in a cross walk with the walk light on. It amazes me how many people text while driving down Mass and turn on to Mass without looking up. Ditto while talking on cell phones.