Archive for Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Man hit while crossing Massachusetts Street

A man who did not use the crosswalk was hit by an SUV in the 1000 block of Massachusetts.

May 18, 2010

A man crossing Massachusetts Street was hit by an SUV at about 9:30 p.m. Tuesday.

According to Lawrence Police Department Sgt. Dave Hubbel, the man was crossing Massachusetts Street in the 1000 block and did not use a crosswalk. An SUV traveling southbound hit the man. He had non-life threatening injuries.

Check back with LJWorld.com for more updates.

Comments

kernal 3 years, 11 months ago

I work downtown and drive around there everyday. I can't tell you how many times people step right into the street from behind a parked truck or SUV and you don't see them until they are right in front of you. I coast on Mass, foot hovering over the brake, not the accelerator. I've almost hit too many idiots not looking where they are going. Ditto for being a pedestrian. You have to look to make sure someone isn't going to hit you when you are in a cross walk with the walk light on. It amazes me how many people text while driving down Mass and turn on to Mass without looking up. Ditto while talking on cell phones.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 3 years, 11 months ago

It doesn't really matter if it was a crosswalk or not. In this town, few drivers respect the crosswalk.

overthemoon 3 years, 11 months ago

dang that's funny. what did the cowboy do?

ralphralph 3 years, 11 months ago

[note: I'm not making this up] Yesterday, I was driving down a county road out at the edge of the Flint Hills when a cowboy on horseback came out from behind a hedgerow talking on his cell phone. I swore he was going to ride right out in front of me. I just froze, not wanting to hit the horse or to spook it by honking, and the critter saw me and geed (or hawed, or something) out of my way. My first incident of texting-while-moseying.

jafs 3 years, 11 months ago

So the pedestrian bears no responsibility at all?

Richard Heckler 3 years, 11 months ago

Driving too fast, maybe driver had beer or road rage = arrest the driver for not paying attention.

If the driver was in a hurry why be on Mass Street?

mr_right_wing 3 years, 11 months ago

I'm relieved to hear it wasn't another hit-and-run. Stick to those crosswalks and obey the crosswalk signs!

Multidisciplinary 3 years, 11 months ago

I used to enjoy watching the students stop right in the middle of the street in front of where they knew the tower cam was pointed about 1 or 2 am, wave their arms, get out their cell phone, make a call to tell their friends to turn on the tv, then wave some more, bend over double laughing at what their friends said, stagger as they are bent down laughing. Raise up, wave some more, talk, jump up and down, sometimes fall down....dance a little. They put on a nice show. Usually out of sync with the music that was playing, but we can't have everything.

consumer1 3 years, 11 months ago

The driver was heard shouting out his window, "This isn't campus baby!!"

Jeff Cuttell 3 years, 11 months ago

Was it a Pedi cab that hit him?

yankeevet 3 years, 11 months ago

He most likely had a cell phone; or an IPOD stuck in his head; and was not paying attention.

beobachter 3 years, 11 months ago

Which bar had he just left and which bar across the street was he headed for?

waswade 3 years, 11 months ago

let me guess, he wasn't using the crosswalk.

boothillbilly 3 years, 11 months ago

Given that it is Mass. Street, I think the following can be assumed:

1. The victim was crossing the street in the middle of the street, not at a designated crosswalk OR at a crosswalk, but crossing against the light

2. The victim was not paying attention, but instead stepped in the road expecting cars to stop like they do up at KU (perhaps listening to iPod/talking on cell phone?)

3. The SUV was traveling ridiculously fast for a downtown street

4. Driver was searching for a parking spot.

compmd 3 years, 11 months ago

Two stars, time to take the car in for a paint job, or jump out, press triangle, and get a new one.

mdrndgtl 3 years, 11 months ago