Archive for Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Local Verizon, AT&T cell phone users having trouble getting connected

Verizon subscribers started to see service return about 9 a.m.

Those with AT&T and Verizon have experienced service outages during the last few days.

May 18, 2010, 8:53 a.m. Updated May 18, 2010, 6:08 p.m.

Lawrence attorney David Brown feels as if his lifeline has been cut off.

“It’s a very disconcerting feeling,” Brown said. “It’s not unlike those silly TV commercials that say, ‘you’re living in the dead zone,’ and that’s exactly what we kept making jokes about all night.”

Brown and his wife, both AT&T wireless customers, have been without cell service at their home in West Lawrence for the past two days. Their phones, however, both seem to work once they’re east of Sixth Street and Kasold Drive.

“You realize how connected you are to a piece of electronics that didn’t exist 10 years ago,” Brown said.

Lawrence residents were left feeling disconnected Tuesday, after an outage affected multiple cell phone carriers, including AT&T and Verizon Wireless customers.

A spokeswoman for Verizon said at one point the outage impacted 13 cell sites around the Lawrence area.

“We share wires with telecommunication providers,” said Brenda Hill, public relations manager for Verizon Wireless. “There was a problem in a cable that we share with other telecom companies.”

Hill classified the outage as a fairly minor problem, saying it lasted a couple of hours and all service was restored by 8:10 a.m. Tuesday.

AT&T released a statement saying the company was experiencing issues with a cell site in Lawrence that would impact some customers’ wireless service in the area.

AT&T spokeswoman Marisa Giller said a network team was working to resolve the issue.

“We have re-engineered the site so customers can continue to place calls and access data service,” Giller said in a statement sent by e-mail to the Journal-World. “Until the issue is completely resolved, some customers may experience slower data speeds.”

Brown said he was given no timeline for when the problem might be corrected. He said in the past, he’s thought about canceling his land line. Tuesday, he was glad he still had it.

“It is a lifeline in a very strange way,” Brown said. “If this were the only thing I was using, I’d be in trouble.”

A previous version of this story incorrectly said the outage was Thursday morning. It was Tuesday morning.

Comments

naturalist 3 years, 11 months ago

I'm glad I've kept my landline. Although the one emergency we had 911 was repeatedly busy!

kujhawkfan 3 years, 11 months ago

My point exactly riverdrifter. Everyone I know who has switched to Sprint in the last couple years love it, not to mention how much money they save every month on their data plans over Verizon & AT&T. I know several people who are switching to Sprint on June 4 just to get the HTC EVO 4G & the cheaper data plans.

royalcowboys1 3 years, 11 months ago

For an iPhone, here is what you do to fix it (although temporary fix, it works great!). I spent all day on looking for an answer online on Tuesday, and actaully found this to be great advice! I did this on both my husband and my phones, and seems to be working great! We don't have a land line, and my business works off my phone, so I had to find a solution.

Go to setting and settings and select Network. Flip it to off on Enable 3G. Then, still in settings, go down to the bottom and select reset. Choose Reset Network Settings. This will turn your phone off and then turn it back on.

You will probably get a message about select a wireless network, but just cancel out of that. You don't want that option (unless you are always connected via wireless).

You should be running fine after this. Granted, you are not on 3G, but that doesn't seem to really matter. Once they get the problem solved, you can jump back to 3G.

Hope this helps!!

Multidisciplinary 3 years, 11 months ago

If I sit here in my chair and use speakerphone and hold the phone..I'm okay. But if I were to lay it on my chest to type with two hands, say if someone wanted me to look a a page while we talked, it would drop the call. And if I take it off speakerphone to hold it up to my ear,as today, it dropped a call. This is common, thus I always use speaker which means now and then I have to ask people to repeat. There are parts of the building that I know I'll drop or have no signal. Now, this is a big improvement, because when I moved in, I would have to get in the car, drive in one of two directions..more than 3 or 4 miles respectively, usually on the weekend to return calls. It became routine. I would go up to call someone, find out only then I had messages, call everyone back. I think they put up another tower, and altell supposedly did something better down this way about the time it improved. The main person I call, has to run outside for his to work.

pagan_idolator 3 years, 11 months ago

Just switched from altell (which I think is Verizon) to AT&T and I hate it.

pagan_idolator 3 years, 11 months ago

Just switched from altell (which I think is Verizon) to AT&T and I hate it.

riverdrifter 3 years, 11 months ago

I got Sprint a year ago -against all advice. The dang phone works every single place I go and I've gone all over the place. I think I've had maybe 3-4 calls drop out of hundreds.

kernal 3 years, 11 months ago

My last AT&T cell phone was useless unless I was in KC or Topeka. Couldn't even use it at home unless I went outside. As for Sprint, they have a lot to make up for since they outsourced all those jobs in Overland Park to India. I will not consider their service.

kujhawkfan 3 years, 11 months ago

Oh yeah, I forgot you also get free GPS turn by turn navigation and Sprint TV included.

kujhawkfan 3 years, 11 months ago

Sprint... Everything Data 450 for only $69.99 a month. You get unlimited text, internet and data, and unlimited minutes to any mobile phone in the U.S. The only limit is if you call regular land telephone numbers and that is limited to 450 minutes, with free nights and weekends starting at 7 PM. As long as you are calling another cell phone from any carrier, your minutes are unlimited. No other carrier offers anything close to this price for all unlimited.

sherbert 3 years, 11 months ago

Whats the best carrier plan offering unlimited minutes and text?

kujhawkfan 3 years, 11 months ago

Switch to Sprint, way cheaper data plans, 4G is launching in KC now, and the best mobile device ever made hits the market on June 4 (HTC EVO 4G). I have not experienced any issues with my Sprint service...

Fred Whitehead Jr. 3 years, 11 months ago

I still have a phone that is connected to the wall with a wire. I do not own any electronic fruits, (pods or berries) and will not ever own any of these cute little plastic toys.

My phone connected to the wall with a wire works all the time, I do not have to keep it charged, I do not have to worry about the "tower" or whatever makes these do-dads work (sometimes) I do not broadcast my conversations out into the air for any hacker with a radio to intercept and listen in on.

I do not get phone bills with charges for "minutes" or any other of the multitude of charges and fees that these greedy shysters of the cell-phone media seem to be able to dream up. My phone bill is pretty consistant each month.

I know I am a cave man throwback, but my system works all the time and my message machined gets calls when I am not there, and I can call my message machine and it will talk to me. This works for me. But I do not pack my day full to the mini minute and have 300 people that think they just have to be able to talk to me on a moment's whim.

I like it that way.

not_holroyd 3 years, 11 months ago

My toilet got all backed up today.

igby 3 years, 11 months ago

If you still have this company Verizon as your carrier, you just not paying attention.

This Verizon company has changed!

Now their the worst cell phone company in America!

Get rid of them!

justtired 3 years, 11 months ago

We didn't have service at 5:15 this morning. I called tech support around 7:30am and the lady didn't even know there was a problem. She got the email while we were trouble shooting my phone.

mr_right_wing 3 years, 11 months ago

Now, what about the power outage that lasted over an hour on 6th, west of Iowa and east of Lawrence avenue? I heard a loud bang, and the lights went off. They're back on and Westar trucks are canvassing the area. I figured for sure when I got online there'd be something.....

???

pbfh88 3 years, 11 months ago

AT&T has 3 towers w/issues. They told me they would be back up and running by 7:12 P.M. this evening. When I pointed out that I am paying for unlimited data, texting, etc., they gave me a credit for my inconvenience.

delta77 3 years, 11 months ago

It's good information and I appreciate it.

tvf2k 3 years, 11 months ago

You get what you pay for! Wonder how VZ and ATT will spin this in their 'most reliable' claims?

lwctown 3 years, 11 months ago

Had trouble with AT&T also but only with the my iphone. Other phones on AT&T seemed to connect fine.

schula 3 years, 11 months ago

I wondered why I was having trouble with my verizon service this morning. Thanks LJW!

Multidisciplinary 3 years, 11 months ago

We're glad you're back Jonathan..really, even if you can't tell it on here. ;)

dinglesmith 3 years, 11 months ago

Odd. AT&T has been out as well. Seems to be back to some extent now.

Jonathan Kealing 3 years, 11 months ago

Indeed, Tuesday morning. Sorry about that.

somedude20 3 years, 11 months ago

"Local Verizon Wireless customers found themselves with little or no cell phone service Thursday morning."

OK, are you giving us old news or is your crystal ball working again?

Take_a_letter_Maria 3 years, 11 months ago

"SWGlassPit (anonymous) says… You mean Tuesday morning?"

No, this is the LJW. They know in advance that Verizon customers are going to lose service in two days.