Archive for Monday, May 17, 2010

Man arrested after domestic dispute

May 17, 2010

A 26-year-old Lawrence man was arrested Sunday morning after being involved in a domestic dispute.

According to Lawrence Police Sgt. Dave Hubbel, the couple started fighting about 2:30 a.m. Sunday. The altercation continued to escalate throughout the early morning hours until the couple went to bed.

They woke up in the morning and continued to fight. Hubbel said the argument had apparently stemmed from the woman not telling the man where she had been the night before. The man was unable to go out because he was watching his children at home.

The argument escalated into a physical fight that Hubbel said included pushing, shoving and biting on the part of the man. At one point the man grabbed the woman’s feet and pulled her down, causing her to fall and hit her head.

Hubbel said that later, the man, driving his vehicle, had pushed the woman’s vehicle into the garage with his bumper while she was inside.

No one was seriously injured during the incident.

The man was booked into the Douglas County Jail about 9:20 a.m. on charges of aggravated assault, battery, criminal damage and drug possession.

Comments

Richard Payton 3 years, 11 months ago

This guys a jerk that needs to stay in jail. I hope that many woman read what Pywacket wrote and follow her advice.

Pywacket 3 years, 11 months ago

Can I post on this enough to put it back into the "most read" lineup? Probably not... I have other things to do. Hope "mad" sees my response to her comments, though.

Pywacket 3 years, 11 months ago

Anyone else get personal messages from the subjects of police and fire reports? Is this a trend?

Pywacket 3 years, 11 months ago

Oh--and PRESS CHARGES. There is nothing more frustrating to law enforcement and nothing more empowering to abusive creeps than when the victim backs down and refuses to cooperate with prosecution. Don't be intimidated. If you let him off the hook, he may hurt you worse or he may move on and do serious damage to someone else--perhaps those little kids. It takes a lot more courage to press charges against your abuser than to send anonymous angry notes to news readers! Find that courage and do the right thing.

Pywacket 3 years, 11 months ago

Well, well---check this out. A personal message from the lady of the manor, who posts as "mad." Here's what she has to say:

"You stupid b***h those kids are neither of ours, they're his nephews who were dropped off early sunday morning. We don't even have kids together, I don't have any kids. We didn't argue or try to sneak out of the house so we wouldn't have to watch them because they weren't there until the next morning. We both went out the night before I just didn't meet up with him like he wanted, I went out with my friends instead since I never see them anymore. He's very violent and he hurt me pretty bad. And for you to insult me for that hurts too. I hope you feel better about yourself."

Of course, I supplied the asterisks as a courtesy...

My comments (and those of several others) were based on what was printed. If the story didn't give more detail, or if some of the info was incorrect, don't blame the readers. The article says the guy was mad b/c he had to stay home with "his" kids; it's a reasonable assumption on the part of readers that the woman he was mad at was the kids' other parent. If readers' main concern was for the children rather than either of the "adults" in the story, that's just one of the hazards you face when you're involved with a violent creep.

Now that you've come forth to enlarge on the information the article presented, I have to say, I sincerely hope you dump the loser, abusive jerk and get your life in order. Get away from him and get the therapy you need so you won't get drawn into another abusive relationship. Guys like him Do. Not. Change. Except to get worse. God help those little kids if he (whether uncle or father) gets to feeling violent and angry the next time they are staying with him. But if they're not yours, you should be able to get away without any strings.

Don't stay with him because you "love him" or think you can change him or because he was abused and you want to be his personal saviour. With abusers, it needs to be "one strike and you're out." Dump his sorry a** and get away. Move to another state if he stalks you. Start over. Yeah, that ain't fair, but it's better than winding up dead. Do whatever it takes.

Go ahead and get angry at people like me who make comments on news stories--but when you get good and worked up, hold on to that anger and focus it where it belongs and where it can do some constructive good. Get out, heal, and learn that you deserve so much better in life. Don't let anyone ever hit you, bully you, shout at you, or b***h you out for something ridiculous again. Whoever you are, you don't deserve to be treated like a punching bag or a possession by some lunatic control freak. Walk away and don't look back. If you are already in the process and don't need my two cents' worth, standing ovation!!

land03 3 years, 11 months ago

I didn't realize I had crossed into the fiction section of newspaper when I clicked on this article. This seems to be more of a short story the LJWorld staff has been dying to publish more than anything...and no I am not the male or the female in this story, but if you don't know the facts don't be so quick to judge. Go back to what you're good at and read your National Inquirer and judge "Bat Boy" and overweight celebrities.

AnonymousBosch 3 years, 11 months ago

They were his kids, not hers. Alas, I live nearby and my roommate was witness to the madness at 9AM. He also has a previous conviction. We're very annoyed at our leasing agents who own both buildings for allowing him to reside in the neighborhood. Sad and sick, this all is.

oneeye_wilbur 3 years, 11 months ago

Daddy had to watch the kids? What a novel idea. I am surprised there was a daddy around.

Pywacket 3 years, 11 months ago

Heartwarming tale of family accord and parenting at its most effective. Too bad this couple has already bred--they'd be perfect candidates for Puddleglum's free spay/neuter program (see thread on cell phones/cancer poll).

They may still want to sign up---if they don't have any more kids, it will be that much sooner until they can both go out drinking and catting around every weekend instead of fighting over who slipped out the door first and left the other stuck with the lousy kids. And, boy, won't those kids grow up with a sense of self-worth and security!