Archive for Monday, May 17, 2010

Fire alarm forces evacuation of Lawrence elementary school

Prairie Park Elementary School students took a break from classwork today after the alarm went off, but there was no fire in the building.

May 17, 2010

Teachers and students were evacuated Monday morning from Prairie Park School for less than a half-hour, spurred by a fire alarm that provided a teachable moment although the alarm itself would turn out to be false.

“The staff did an excellent job getting the students out of the school,” said Doug Green, a division chief for Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical, serving as shift commander at the school. “They did a great job.”

No specific cause for the false alarm was immediately evident, but Tom Bracciano, the Lawrence school district’s director for operations and facility planning, figures a dirty sensor might have been to blame. Carpenters had been working to repair a leaky roof above the lobby, but were not using materials or equipment that could have sparked a fire.

By 11 a.m. students had filed back into the gym, and then to their classrooms, to finish off yet another day — another step closer to summer vacation, which begins March 26.

Comments

grammaddy 4 years, 7 months ago

Just came from there, checking on the grands.Everything seemed to be back to normal. One question, Why move kids into the gym if you think there is a fire somewhere in the building?

butrflkisz 4 years, 7 months ago

WOW maybe if you watch the video you will see kids outside not in the gym...Im just sayin'

grammaddy 4 years, 7 months ago

The video was not up when this article was first posted, nor was it up when I came back from the school and posted my comment. When I arrived at the school they were leading the kids out of the gym and back to classes.

Weezy_Jefferson 4 years, 7 months ago

Not too long ago the fire alarms went off because of massive amounts of dust that had accumulated on the alarm systems. I wonder if they're now too clean....

jj14 4 years, 7 months ago

Why is this news? GEEZ, what has society come to.

maxcrabb 4 years, 7 months ago

More importantly, why does the headline and the lead paragraph fail to mention the name of the school!?!

Why should everyone have to click the damn article just to see one little piece of information that would calm down a lot of worried parents and grandparents!

The lamest attempt to drive up page hits, EVER!

somebodynew 4 years, 7 months ago

Well I tend to agree with jj14. This is NEWS?? A fire alarm at a school??? My guess is this happens numerous times, because there are false alarms all the time. I understand parents and relatives being concerned for a minute, but if you haven't seen a fire quickly just calm down. Not sure why the paper would make this such a big deal (Oh, page hits - yeah.)

Nikki May 4 years, 7 months ago

I was at the school when it happened. They were outside for almost 30 minutes. The firemen came and inspected and found no fire, smoke, or gas, so sent the children into the gym when there was an all clear. They then went on to continue to look for a cause. But, the building was deemed safe before letting kids back into the building. I left when they were going back in. My daughter said they sat in the gym singing and things like that. All told, I'd guess it was more like 45 minutes that they were out of class though, maybe longer. I honestly didn't look at the time as we were filing out the door, but it was about 10:40 when they headed to the gym.

As for your worries max, relax. If your child's school was devastated by fire, they'd use the automated system to call parents. You would know as soon as it happened if it was a problem.

On a side note, my son's class was in the video, but I didn't see him. :(

maxcrabb 4 years, 7 months ago

Thanks for the reassurances. I don't actually have kids. :) Rather, I love the breaking news angle, with the OMG headline, but you have to click the page to see the most pertinent information for those concerned... the name of the school. Did not know about the alert system. That is pretty cool.

conservative 4 years, 7 months ago

I didn't realize that summer vacation started almost 2 months ago. Seriously John. Do you have anyone checking these stories for very obvious mistakes? I understand sometimes typos will happen, or things won't make sense as someone updates a story and it doesn't flow well with the part that was previously posted, but the volume of mistakes that could be caught just by having a second person read the story before posting should have you thinking.