Archive for Monday, May 17, 2010

Community invited to meeting to discuss homelessness in Lawrence

May 17, 2010

The Coalition for Homeless Concerns is sponsoring the sixth annual Town Meeting on Homelessness from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday at the Lawrence Public Library, 707 Vt.

The event, “A Community Dialogue on Homelessness,” will feature a variety of speakers from governmental and social service agencies, as well as former homeless people.

The event is free and open to the public. For more information, contact Steve Ozark, 760-3143, or send him an e-mail at oztalent@aol.com.

Comments

ChiHawkInKS 5 years ago

I think we need Charles Bronson in Lawrence to clean up all the gutter punks.

Kash_Encarri 5 years ago

The first time I read this I read Charles BrAnson instead of BrOnson & was going to point out that the local DA's unwillingness or inability to charge that portion of the homeless population that warrant being charged (possession, possession with intent to sell, under the influence, assault, etc.) is part of the problem. Loring Henderson allowing those individuals to hang around being the other part.

monheim 5 years ago

@oneeye_wilbur

So basically you're trolling this article? I'm not going to go because frankly, even though I care, I don't honestly feel I have nearly enough experience with the issue to contribute anything.

You, on the other hand, seem to think you know something the rest of us don't. You don't care and you don't want to contribute, you say. Yet, in the very next breath you adopt a very condescending "I understand and you don't" attitude (see your assertion that Lawrence doesn't have "real" homeless).

So, make up your mind. Either you truly don't care and don't want to contribute, or you really do have something interesting to contribute. If the former, don't troll like a child and just give up if that's what you want. If the latter, show up at the meeting and present your ideas. That is sort of the point. At least then you can say you tried.

I'll even help you with a starting point for an argument based on your own snide comments:

Lawrence isn't addressing the homeless situation appropriately. We are under the delusion that we have one type of "homeless" people, when in reality we have another.

As to what those types are....hell, you're the one acting like you know. I'm just trying to help you do something constructive.

somedude20 5 years ago

We need to be getting together to celebrate the life and times of Mr. Ronald James Padavona (Dio) not bumfest 10'

Most again most, of the homeless in Lawrence are able bodied people who are capable to work in some manner but decied not to.

Cassie Powell 5 years ago

As a former "true" homeless person in lawrence, there are way to many agencies and programs to continue being homeless for more than 60 days. If you have been homeless for any longer then that, it means you are not following guidelines, turning in job searches and sticking to the program to get out of the homlessness situation.

Matthew Mikel 5 years ago

I am all for HELPING the homeless, not ENABLING them. I work at a facility where we care for a large homeless population. Much more often than not, they are chronic drunks, who however, manage to be able to afford cigarretes, more alcohol, but never seem to be able to afford food. Homeless are the refugees in Darfur...most of the homeless I am use to seeing are "enabled".

dreamfairy 4 years, 10 months ago

You say homeless in Lawrence are able bodied people who are capable to work in some manner but decied not to. Do you know what it is like to be homeless to tell you children I don't know where we are staying to night. To have to live at a lake for mos. Not knowing what you are going to do day from day. If you can answer yes to this then you have the wright to say things like homeless people don't wont to work. Until you have been in there shoes and know why and how they got there don't judge people not even homeless people.. I was homeless for 8 mos. with my two kids. O and before I became homeless I had a Job a state job. And making good money . I had a husband who had a good job who made really good money. Then one day my world came down around me and my family, one thing after another. I had no control over any of it. I lost my job do to health reasons I found out my so called husband was hurting one of my children and it just kept going down from that point So unless you know the story of every homeless person out there don't judge them stop and ask what there story is......

NickB 5 years ago

GET RID OF THEM! GOOD RIDDANCE TO BAD RUBBISH!

Clark Coan 5 years ago

Some have severe mental or physical disabilities which prevent them from working, but most homeless can work if they'd try. Unfortunately, many actually enjoy being drunk or stoned all day long and don't want to sober up and work.

Having them make dog biscuits is a great idea for getting them into better jobs and and permanent housing. Another idea is a Job Corps program where homeless get paid for job training.

esteshawk 5 years ago

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for life. Teach a man religion, and he dies praying for fish.