Archive for Friday, May 14, 2010

Time out: Kansan Chely Wright becomes first openly gay country star

Country star and Wellsville native, Chely Wright.

Country star and Wellsville native, Chely Wright.

May 14, 2010

Audio Clips
Chely Wright comes out, speaks out

Country music revels in tales of infidelity, alcoholism, abuse and failure.

But until this month, one character trait was all but unforgivable.

You couldn't be gay. Not in Nashville. Not around mainstream country audiences.

Chely Wright challenged that last week. The Wellsville native came out to the world ... and braced for the response.

The announcement coincides with the release of her seventh studio album, "Lifted Off the Ground," and her first book, a memoir titled "Like Me." Already the declaration has caused major ripples in the music industry and the world of pop culture. (She graces the cover of the May 5 issue of People magazine.)

"I'm so glad I named my record 'Lifted Off the Ground,' because that's how I feel. I'm glad I didn't name it 'Broken,'" Wright says, referring to the title of her latest single. "That would have been awful."

The 39-year-old Wright first earned her place in Nashville's elite after being named best new female vocalist in 1994 by the Academy of Country Music. She followed up her early promise in 1999 with a No. 1 country hit in "Single White Female." In 2001, she even landed on People magazine's 50 Most Beautiful People list.

But amid the accolades - and high-profile romances with stars such as Brad Paisley - Wright harbored a secret. As her career progressed, it became increasingly difficult to keep her true sexuality from the prying eyes of Nashville. The internal struggle eventually resulted in the singer-songwriter suffering an emotional breakdown.

During a plane delay while readying to fly out of New York's LaGuardia Airport, Wright took the time to speak to the Journal-World about her recent revelations.

Q: Are you happy with how you're being portrayed in the media?

A: Honestly, I haven't looked at anything in the media. I've been off the grid for about six weeks. ... Obviously, I'd be stupid to think there weren't any negative reactions. But by and large I've been told it's been incredibly powerful and positive, and that my doing this has given voice to a community, that as far as country music fans, has not existed. I can tell you how I feel personally: I feel incredible.

Q: Did you make a conscious decision to not read any press since you came out?

A: Yes.

Q: But you'll still read my article, right?

A: That's the only one I'll read, and I'll tell you why. When I was in first grade, I got a job where I threw the Lawrence Journal-World. I was the papergirl. That's what I did every day in Wellsville. I threw maybe 150 papers.

Q: Were you pretty good at it?

A: I was the best they'd ever seen. I could sling a paper - even the Wednesday and Sunday paper - from my Huffy bike and land it on a porch better than anybody.

Q: Did your impending revelations affect how you approached the material on "Lifted Off the Ground"?

A: I didn't know I was going to come out as I was writing this record. In fact, I didn't plan on coming out until halfway into the recording process. It was a series of events that had led up to that. When you make a record and release it, you have to talk openly to reporters and radio folks and fans because they ask, "How did you get the idea for this song?" For the first time ever, I have no co-writers on this record. ...

I started to realize, "Holy crap, how am I going to be asked about these songs and explain this record? I'm talking about my broken heart, I'm talking about 'Object of Your Rejection.' I'm going to have to make up a fake boyfriend from Argentina." My reality was creeping up on me again, and I knew I'd surely find myself in a dark place again.

Q: Have fans gone back and started to reinterpret lines from your old songs?

A: A guy that runs my Facebook and social-networking media did tell me last night that people have started to do that. It wouldn't be wrong in doing that. There were a couple of songs, one in particular called "Picket Fences" off of the "Single White Female" album: "Little boys and little girls dream of big, big things / They're taught at a tender age just what life should bring / Get a job, say 'I do' and settle yourself down / But what about those of us whose lives are still spinnin' around." That song is about what happens to people who aren't going to have the traditional life. It really surprised me that no one ever really read into that song.

Q: Do you improve with each record?

A: No. I think I should, but I don't think I did. There were times when I was coming off the road exhausted and going in and recording songs. I recall calling my label and saying, "Why are we tracking this week? I don't feel ready." They would have a stack of songs and say, "Let's just try." That's an expensive little effort. I don't think I improved.

The 'Let Me In' record was the best record I made on MCA, followed up by "Single White Female," which was the most successful record I ever made, but it wasn't my best. "Never Love You Enough" was the most fragmented, crazy record. "The Metropolitan Hotel" was a half-assed effort. I was really trying to step into a new me so I could be a relevant singer-songwriter. Then "The Bumper of My S.U.V." happened, and I got seduced by the radio airplay.

Then I went in and tried to record what I thought radio wanted. I remember my thought processes. I know what happened. ... We all make decisions based on "how do I continue to have enough success so I can make art?" Even the greatest artist of all time did commission work and painted the ceiling of a chapel.

Q: You're not the first singer-songwriter from Kansas to come out. How is your situation different from that of Melissa Etheridge?

A: Well, I'm a country music singer. That's what's different, I guess. To compare one's coming-out experience would be absolutely insane because everyone's coming-out experience is dynamic, emotional, difficult, scary. I don't care if you live in Manhattan or L.A. I don't care if you grew up with gay parents. My best friend is gay and his mother is a lesbian, and it was scary for him to come out. So I don't ever try to compare anyone's experience. That Melissa Etheridge did have an event coming out tells all of us that there was a time that she did hide. That alone says she felt an impetus to hide. ...

When she came out, I wept. I was so thankful, and I remember wishing that I knew her because she's from Kansas.

Q: You mention an exchange in the book with John Rich of Big & Rich in which he openly confronted you about being gay, and when you denied it, he said, "Good. Thank God." Why was that conversation so damaging to you?

A: It was a perfect storm. It was layers and layers of fear and rejection. I can't blame my implosion on him, but John was just part of the recipe of fear and rejection, at that time, of 15 years in Nashville. I've got a line in my song 'The River' - "I moved here to Nashville on May 12, '89" - and today is May 12, 2010. I've lived in Nashville for 21 years. That's a long time to hide a secret. And when John Rich made that comment to me in 2005, he was just the straw that broke the camel's back. At that time John had a lot of power. I didn't feel physically threatened. But I'd never been asked the question before.

Q: You've been quoted as saying you "fully expect to lose my country music career." Does that imply you're ready to shift your career to another style of music?

A: I don't know if I can do that. ... I don't know if another genre of music is ready for a former country music singer who just came out.

Q: Has this whole experience changed how you view the country music industry?

A: Someone pointed out to me the other day that I still refer to the Nashville community as "we" and "us." I now live in (New York) - although I still have a home in Nashville - but when I talk about Music Row and the industry, I still feel like I'm part of it. In some ways that town has caused me a lot of fear and anxiety. But it needs to be said that town is also the town that made my dreams come true. It's broken my heart in some ways, but if I could tell you how many e-mails and letters I've gotten from Music Row people and radio people since I came out, it would boggle your mind. Also, I have to tell you how many people have come out to me and asked me to keep it a secret. ...

I was told that in my hometown school, the day I came out, three kids walked to the principal's office and came out. This is important. I'm really proud of Nashville and proud of country music. I know that some of the biggest haters have done their dirty work quietly. But it's not lost on me that a lot of people are standing up for me and speaking out on my behalf. That's what I'm focused on. And I'm incredibly glad and grateful.

Comments

Ray Parker 3 years, 11 months ago

Mama, don't let your daughters grow up to be cowgirl lesbian perverts.

ShePrecedes 3 years, 11 months ago

Went out and got a iTumes gift card to get your songs, Chely. Good luck with it all.

mr_right_wing 3 years, 11 months ago

Wait a fiddle pickin' minute...

Doesn't anyone remember K.D. Lang?

I'm pretty sure she 'came out' at some point; not that she needed to...just look at her. Don't need 'gaydar' for that call!

jimincountry 3 years, 11 months ago

She's just another manifestation of the liberal, if-it-feels-good-do-it generation....like tatooing and punching holes in yourself. (Actually that fad can't feel good, can it?) And it avoids the std and pregnancy opportunity. Bizarre is in vogue. Does she smoke dope and shoot up too?

fully_baked 3 years, 11 months ago

If John Rich thanked God that Chely was "straight," I guess he has to blame God now that she's not? Someone should ask him. Good luck, Chely.

Chris Beilman 3 years, 11 months ago

Publicity stunt perhaps? I’m sure there are some strong implications of such and these are my thoughts (no references or cut and paste junk) on this article. Being her 7th album, I’m sure Vanguard will be evaluating the results of the sales. They are probably looking at either retaining her contract or letting her go pending the results, which is business as usual in Nashville. Her market value to sell records is bound to decline in a stale economy mixed in with the recent floods could just be her last record with Vanguard. The release of her new book shows a new direction and the fact that she is gay is irrelevant. Being a writer, as well as an artist would be the obvious path for her to pursue at this time. I tend to believe that all of this is tied to a career move and making adjustments to life after Nashville. Good luck Chely

igby 3 years, 11 months ago

Country music is a turd bobbing corn cob-fest these days anyway!

lawrenceRezident 3 years, 11 months ago

Woo Hoo your'e gay! Do you want an award? Oh my god! Why do people find it necessary to tell the entire world about their sexual presence? Keep it to yourself! Do I talk about how straight I am? Big deal... Your'e gay! Get over yourself!

bobberboy 3 years, 11 months ago

Actually I'd like to find myself sandwiched in between a couple like her. But as a man.

bobberboy 3 years, 11 months ago

I mean damn queers - shut the &^%$ up ! Go back in the closet - we liked you better then.

bobberboy 3 years, 11 months ago

I don't really care to know that information. Thanks anyway. This is poor reporting. I mean who really cares. And most of us would just as well she kept that information to herself !!!

riverdrifter 3 years, 11 months ago

She should hook up in a business deal with Garth Fundis. He would handle her career well from this point on. Ask Garth Brooks.

Garth, Garth, Garth. Sheesh...

Randall Barnes 3 years, 11 months ago

once again all i will say is one man one woman.

Donnuts 3 years, 11 months ago

Hey, that's great. Oh well too bad. I am not married yet and Chely Wright is one hot looking chic. I play guitar as well and am from Kansas and live between NYC and New Mexico now actually.

I have listened to plenty of good musicians and am not one of the ones that has to say, "Hey, I sure would like to bone that chic up there on the stage (although it might be true)" and if she don't give me some I won't listen to what she has to say. I have been to plenty of shows where the artist had nothing to say I was interested in or the music was bad.

Regardless, I think it is great for her to 'come out'. For a celeb that might be different than just with friends in a circle of some kind. I am not a homophobe being considered 'gay' through most of my junior high existence and into high school even after dating women for years I am still accused of being gay and hated for it among any other reason they can think of to hate people they want to hate.

So good for her. So what about her song Picket Fences; why be so interpretive? Gay people have dreams too just like we did when we were all five years old. I threw papers for years as well and yes the Sunday and Wednesday papers were heavy and so was the KU Edition. I am sure we would have had a bit in common had we met. Too bad for me huh?

Well best wishes with the folks in Nashwood and Hollyville. I am sure they will understand greatly as well as a mediocre audience. I expect to see broken Chely Wright CDs littering the gravel roads between Frontenec, Ks and Horton, Ks. thrown out as they leave the bar at midnight.

Hey, wow, she threw the journal world too. My bike was a Mongoose. I had a golf cart battery operated to help me on Sundays early in the morn' before anybody would care too though. Oh and I am not married but close and not looking anyway Chely. I know that matters.

thebcman 3 years, 11 months ago

password 3 years, 11 months ago

"You couldn't be gay. Not in Nashville. Not around mainstream country audiences." According to this article the mainstream country audiences in Nashville suffer from homophobia. How sad....

greenworld 3 years, 11 months ago

Why does people that are gay have to announce that they are gay like its suppose to make the news?? I dont get it. When I figured out that I was straight I didnt get a loud speaker and scream it. I dont know why people make such a big deal about whether you are straight, gay , bi or whatever. Its really not that big of a deal.

blue73harley 3 years, 11 months ago

I love lesbians. Just picture Chely and Kelly Pickler together...yeow! A new kind of Country Music!

I like the Indigo Girls, too.

Bob Kraxner 3 years, 11 months ago

So what is the big deal ? Is her music any good ? Isn't that what counts ?

phoggyjay 3 years, 11 months ago

Sounds like a lot of people are struggling with their own attraction to the same sex. They lash out against anything that has to do with homosexuality or bisexuality. Just go with your feelings, they're completely natural. If you can't... the culprit is religion.

tange 3 years, 11 months ago

Next iteration...

The-First-Openly-Gay-Gountry-Star-Formerly-Known-As-Chely-Wright.

( Hmm... wonder what the color for that symbol will be? )

Tom Shewmon 3 years, 11 months ago

Two? Hmmmm, hope my message made it through......blah....not sure how I did that???

Tom Shewmon 3 years, 11 months ago

Oh and breaking barriers, transforming, exposing bigots..... blah blah blah.........nothing to see here, move on along folks.

blah blah blah

Tom Shewmon 3 years, 11 months ago

blah blah blah

Tom Shewmon 3 years, 11 months ago

For the Elite Liberal Powers That Be, being gay has become associated with being elite, ahead of the times, trend-setter....blah blah blah.....

blah blah

Nothing to see here, move on.

blah blah

The Liberal Elite Media will make sure you hear about each and every one like her.......blah blah blah

Quigly 3 years, 11 months ago

Who? Never heard of her. Country star? Who is she?

yankeevet 3 years, 11 months ago

Yea; really who cares about this.....................woman........

MojoCatnip 3 years, 11 months ago

Actually it's not newsworthy, but it IS important. Important to her and any other musicians that identify with her. Since this is basically a human interest story, we should just accept it as that.

Although I wouldn't go so far as to call this a media stunt, this is definitely a media strategy, a fact that is not denied by her publicist. Although I understand the timing of this announcement in those terms, I have to say unfortunately that it does sort of sour the emotional credibility of this tale in my opinion.

jayhawkologist 3 years, 11 months ago

Will someone please tell me why this is important, let alone newsworthy?

sunny 3 years, 11 months ago

The next you know she'll be in the whitehouse!

J Good Good 3 years, 11 months ago

She said that she is telling people because she wants kids growing up to know that it is ok to be gay. That even country singers can be gay. That you shouldn't have to hide who you are. It is more than what you do in your bedroom. It is who you love, who you want to spend your life with. Is your relationsip with your significant other only about what you do in the bedroom?

M. Lindeman 3 years, 11 months ago

The real question should be, why are you telling us anyway. What you do in your bedroom is your buseness so keep it that way.

LJ Whirled 3 years, 11 months ago

The "real news" part of the interview, to me, was the bold confession that her music wasn't improving as she was pressured to keep cranking out songs that could get radio play. Seriously, I would hope she is established enough to make it, or not, on the merits of her work. She has always been pretty brave, and that seemed to get her where she has gotten. I recall her coming to a dinner meeting I attended when she was about 18, carrying in a boom box to play her tracks, and singing her heart out to a bunch sleepy old people. She hung around Burlington and performed at her dad's music show back then, and she was probably just the 3rd or 4th best singer of the local girls in the show, but she had guts and dreams and drive, and, well ... there ya' go.

Deja Coffin 3 years, 11 months ago

Good for her! I knew about her just because she was from Wellsville but I do enjoy some of her songs. Her relationship preference doesn't change my thoughts of her music for good or bad just like when I found out Melissa Ethridge was gay. Now that's a kansas girl that can rock!! It's just sad that when you're gay and your lifestyle is known, so many people judge you for good or bad on your lifestyle while as a straight person, I'm never forced to justify my relationship or be a role-model for the straight population......thank goodness!

make_a_difference 3 years, 11 months ago

Good music is good music regardless of the orientation of the writer/performer. People who would reject someone or their work/art because of their orientation are the ones who lose.

rockchalk1977 3 years, 11 months ago

Anyone heard from the Dixie Chicks lately? Country music fans will deal with this by purchasing her music... or not. This is the beauty of the free market!

dru442 3 years, 11 months ago

"Single white female, looking for a "woman" (it was originally recorded as "man") like you?" That song does not have the same ring to it now!

ozzynbn 3 years, 11 months ago

Still like her music. Her orientation makes no difference to me. I hope her other fans stand by her.

love1another 3 years, 11 months ago

Since you can't even get her name correct, it is Richell and not Michelle, then I believe you are a liar. Plus I hardly think you can magically peer into her heart and know if she is a lesbian or not.

Gareth 3 years, 11 months ago

Dragging the rednecks into the modern world, one lipstick-lesbian at a time.

bobberboy 3 years, 11 months ago

I don't listen to country music - it makes me vomit.

drake 3 years, 11 months ago

Back when I knew her she went by Michelle and she certainly wasn't a lesbian then.

christy kennedy 3 years, 11 months ago

"No one knew who she was. Now, all of this free publicity and she is getting her name out there."

I'm sure she had a lot of fans already and so more people know about her now—big deal. You either like country music or you don't. She's a talented and brave woman who I hope can just be herself and anyone who turns away from her is the loser.

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 11 months ago

"No one knew who she was. Now, all of this free publicity and she is getting her name out there. "

Well, she's been around a long time, but BOOK SALES!

sierraclub 3 years, 11 months ago

autie 3 years, 11 months ago

uh...umm...she could...uh...I would......oh nevermind.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 11 months ago

I'm sure she has lots of cowboy fans.....

H_Lecter 3 years, 11 months ago

If I were female, I'd absolutely be gay too, Can we just pretend I am?

martyoh 3 years, 11 months ago

No offense to Ms. Wright, but is she not aware of k d lang? Did I miss a reference somewhere? If I did, I apologize... I'm certainly not making light of Chely's situation, but there have been others in this place previously, birthplace not withstanding.

Marty Olson