Archive for Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Lawrence child molester sentenced to 10 years; attorney blames client’s sex crimes on meth

May 11, 2010

A Douglas County judge sentenced a Lawrence man to more than 10 years in prison for sexually abusing three teenagers over a six-year period.

Judge Sally Pokorny ordered Terry S. Pennay, 48, to spend 128 months in prison. Upon his release, Pennay will be required to be supervised for life and must register as a sex offender.

Pennay entered a no-contest plea in March to one count of aggravated indecent liberties with a child and two counts of indecent liberties with a child.

Pennay

Pennay

All of the victims were girls between the ages of 14 and 16.

One of the girls addressed the judge at Tuesday’s sentencing hearing.

“A year ago, I spent the night with my best friend,” the victim said. “It took just one night to flip my whole world around. Her father touched me during the night ... I was 14. I didn’t know what to do.”

Pennay’s attorney, Courtney Henderson, said his client had never previously been convicted of a sex crime, but that he struggled with drug addiction.

“He was using meth frequently, and that clouded his mind,” Henderson told the judge. “This is not the man he wants to be known as.”

Police first began investigating the case when a mother of a 14-year-old girl brought her daughter to talk to officers after spending the night at Pennay’s home in March 2009.

During their investigation, police discovered the two other victims. One girl was sexually abused in September 2004, and the other victim was molested repeatedly from April 2008 to the spring of 2009.

The judge ordered the three sentences to run consecutively.

The victim who spoke in court said she hoped that her coming forward would prevent Pennay from molesting more children.

“This whole process has opened my eyes so much,” she said. “A lot of cruel things happen in the real world. I’m glad I stood up for myself and went to police. After today, it’s all over.”

Comments

Danimal 4 years, 7 months ago

That's a ridiculous defense. Drug addiction can make people do crazy things, but I've never heard of meth turning someone into a serial child molester. It's too bad they didn't get him into the system for longer than 10 years.

Stuart Evans 4 years, 7 months ago

Henderson told the judge. “This is not the man he wants to be known as.”

tough luck dude. your fate is sealed. his only chance to change this is to cure cancer or something amazing.

Majestic42 4 years, 7 months ago

That's exactly what I thought, too. That's not who you want to be known as? Shoulda thought about that when you were doing it, sicko.

somedude20 4 years, 7 months ago

Give me a F-ing break! Hey why not blame his parents for giving birth to him. "You know your honor, this never would have happened if my parents had not been so selfish to bring me into this world"

sk_in_ks 4 years, 7 months ago

My hat is off to the brave girl who came forward and testified to help prevent this from happening to other girls. That must have taken a lot of courage and inner strength.

matthewjherbert 4 years, 7 months ago

Here is why I could never be a judge. My response would have been simply and without any compassion: "Oh, so it was the methamphetamines that made you commit this crime? Well, in that case, you're convicted of child molestation AND possession of illegal narcotics". That would have tacked on a couple additional years, would it not?

this_is_john_galt_speaking 4 years, 7 months ago

1southernjayhawk 4 years, 7 months ago

What?? You are all alone on this. And, no, you certainly wouldn't represent John Galt.

EarthaKitt 4 years, 7 months ago

Please tell me this comment was poorly expressed sarcasm.

EarthaKitt 4 years, 7 months ago

OK. Now I'm pretty sure you're kidding.

SWJayhawk13 4 years, 7 months ago

Wow, I don't know how you can sleep at night.

What this girl went through is horrendous. As a victim of sexual abuse myself, it completely changes your world and it DOES take courage to step up and say something. You are never the same and it takes years to come to the point where you see yourself as a survivor and not a victim.

I don't care if it was her best friend's dad, he had no right to sexually abuse her. And quite frankly, her best friend is better off with her dad in jail. If he's a child molester, who's to say that he hasn't/wouldn't molest her?

This man deserves to be in prison, and he deserves to be in prison for a LOT longer than 10 years.

Sounds to me like you know this piece of crap child molester. And even if you don't, I can't believe you'd say something so callous. This is a 14-year-old girl who was sexually abused by her best friend's dad. You think it was an easy decision for her to come forward? Because I'm willing to guarantee you that it wasn't. While my situation was different, it was still one of the hardest decisions I've ever had to make. Part of the reason is because of people like you that attack the victim and their character. You sympathize with the criminal and demonize the victim.

I don't know this girl and probably never will, but I am proud of her for standing up and coming forward and speaking out about what happened to her. Like I said, that can be one of the hardest decisions to make. Being a victim of sexual abuse has shame and stigma attached to it when it shouldn't.

And who's to say that this man wouldn't continue molesting more kids? If he's a serial child molester (as was pointed out), he's not just going to stop on his own. This girl's friends (and his daughter) are safer with him behind bars, right where deserves to be.

asbury 4 years, 7 months ago

On behalf of all of us survivors of this type of abuse, I want to say thank you to the young woman who had the guts to "tell", and to her mother for believing her and moving forward.

somebodynew 4 years, 7 months ago

This pos has gotten away with a lot that he was never charged for unfortunately. But 20 years from a Douglas County Judge is pretty good. Good job Judge !!!!!

Heather Abernathy 4 years, 7 months ago

To even suggest that the girl should feel bad about convicting a child molester shows how wrong our world is today!! As a victim myself, I only wish a friend would have come over and discovered what was happening to me. You don't know anything about the situation, perhaps the animal's daughter was a victim herself and was being threatened about telling?!? Do no judge unless you were involved in the situation yourself.

somebodynew 4 years, 7 months ago

WOW - this_is. I am used to a lot of insensitive and callous remarks on this board, but that just takes cake. It is good you are anonymous and said that on a board, cause if you said that to most SANE people, I would think it would be a bad outcome.

That girl's dad is in jail because that is the only place we have for SICK people that do that. I am very glad this girl was strong enough to stand up.

Why don't you just go crawl back under the rock you live under.

mom_of_three 4 years, 7 months ago

And did we all suggest removal of his post? I certainly hope so

this_is_john_galt_speaking 4 years, 7 months ago

I'll be interested to see if it's removed. it doesn't violate any of the terms of service, people just disagree with it.

brujablanco 4 years, 7 months ago

Yup, it is too bad. All sexual predators, drunks, meth heads, whores and batterers should be thrown in jail forever!!!!!!

puddleglum 4 years, 7 months ago

except whores-they should not be thrwon in jail

brujablanco 4 years, 7 months ago

this_is_john_galt_speaking 4 years, 7 months ago

EarthaKitt 4 years, 7 months ago

OK. Now I'm pretty sure you're kidding.

SWJayhawk13 4 years, 7 months ago

Wow. I can't even keep reading the crap that you're spewing. I wish you could go through what I went through. Or any other sexual abuse survivor. You'd change your tune really quickly.

I really do hope this is a (sick) joke, because if it's not, you are just as bad as him. YOU are the reason that victims are afraid to come forward. They are afraid to have their name smeared and be dragged through the mud.

What this man did was wrong and he deserves a whole lot more than 10 years in prison.

But I'm done...reading this crap is just making me angrier and angrier.

this_is_john_galt_speaking 4 years, 7 months ago

mom_of_three 4 years, 7 months ago

The meth probably didn't make him think straight, but there are multiple victims from several different years....so if I was the defense, I am not sure I would have used that. But that is why I am not an attorney - I would want these guilty scumbags in jail forever.

mom_of_three 4 years, 7 months ago

And yes, she was a brave girl! Hats off, horns tooting, and wish her the best success in the future

whats_going_on 4 years, 7 months ago

he should have used the Catholic defense. He could have gotten away with it.

kathy white 4 years, 7 months ago

Randall Barnes 4 years, 7 months ago

wait it was the meth that made me smoke it, the meth just jumped into my mouth in the first place, addicted or not it was your fault not the meth.you had a choice not to ever do meth......

Chris Golledge 4 years, 7 months ago

I'm thinking the attorney found himself obligated to provide the best defense he could for this total POS, and the meth defense, poor as it was, was the best option available.

Brave girl. The last line says it all.

Deja Coffin 4 years, 7 months ago

Tougher sentencing for sexual predators!!! Ten years is nothing, this guy will get out and do it again. I'll pay the extra tax dollars to keep him in prison for life!

tobe2000 4 years, 7 months ago

Exactly!!! 3 1/3 years per victim is ridiculous. Life should be the least he gets. Hopefully he'll get a taste of his own medicine in prison.

4 years, 7 months ago

Oh you can bet that's gonna happen. Child molestors are at the bottom of the heap in prison, I've been told.

md 4 years, 7 months ago

To the posters who are survivers-God bless you! I was in the ministry for the down and outs. From all the stories I was exposed to I tend to think up to 50% of women have been molested in some way or other,mho.

matthewjherbert 4 years, 7 months ago

I hate to advocate for profiling...but looking at that picture, who DIDN'T know he was a child molester?

beatrice 4 years, 7 months ago

They should have added extra time for the meth.

Mike Wagner 4 years, 7 months ago

If someone messed with my daughter like that they wouldn't even make it to court!

4 years, 7 months ago

This reminds me of the three rules that any child should follow if anything happens and you are told to not tell:

1) Tell 2) Tell 3) Tell

mdrndgtl 4 years, 7 months ago

Shame on you, Father Pennay! What will your congregation think?

Armored_One 4 years, 7 months ago

shirinisb 4 years, 7 months ago

There is not one response I can make to anything said in the article by anyone that would not land me in jail.

Just remember you sickos, mothers have an insanity like no other when you mess with their kids it comes out in full-force. There is no stopping it. Any mother/parent who does not react this way has no business being a parent.

My daughter has been taught that no matter what the situation is or who it is if ANYONE touches here ANYWHere she is uncomfortable she is to run away; if she is unable to get away then she is trained to reach for any heavy or sharp object and attack immediately.

Screw reporting crap, it doesn't work. Humans are animals and women protect their young. Kudos to the women who agree- who cares what you think to the people who disagree.

Liberty275 4 years, 7 months ago

They always need an excuse. Meth didn't rape the young ladies, a piece of scum did.

Condolences to the victims and their families.

redmoonrising 4 years, 7 months ago

It may not be the man he wanted to be but the man he was. How brave for that young girl to come forward and talk about this.

Amesmb 4 years, 7 months ago

Meth is known to cause "heightened sexuality" in its users, leading to far more likelihood of sexual behavior outside of their norms, including child molestation. But does that make it excusable? ABSOLUTELY NOT.

53girl 4 years, 7 months ago

Gee, I guess I didn't realize smoking Drano and what ever other poisons Meth has in it makes you a child molester! What a crock! And what lawyer did he have that said something so ignorant?? And yes, shotgun shells are much cheaper than keeping that scum in prison. Too bad it is against the law. I, too, applaud this young lady for her courage!

crissamber 4 years, 7 months ago

Isn't it disgusting how someone could do this to a child? Whats sad is when your afraid to leave your child alone for a second, even if your child is just a couple of feet away. So what if the man was on meth, does it give him any right to molest a child? It just makes me angry, if it was my child he touched oh god forbid... The girl was brave, and luckily it was only three, I'm glad it wasn't more, and it's all thAnks to the girl for telling someone what had happened.

Reuben Turner 4 years, 7 months ago

DIRTY-DOG; JUST NASTY; JUST DIRTY-LOWDOWN

jayhawk72 4 years, 7 months ago

i think we should gather ALL the repeat sex offenders and place them on a secure island in the middle of the ocean and forget about them. I'm a mom of 2 girls and i have drilled it in their heads that no matter what...if its uninvited...its rape. My love for them knows no boundaries and I would NEVER blame them for something that someone else does to them. my thoughts go out to EVERY victim in cases like these. It takes courage to tell and the strength of Superman to stand up in court and discuss what happened in front of strangers and the accused. That which does not kill us only makes us stronger.

Fawn Cadue 4 years, 7 months ago

"the other victim was molested repeatedly from April 2008 to the spring of 2009"

Ok, so where was her head? She did not live there, so why did she keep going to him? I am having some questions about all of this. And, again, who were these girls?