Archive for Saturday, May 8, 2010

Body found trapped under tree

A Douglas County family is in mourning after losing a member in a tree accident Friday. The man was trimming trees when one fell on him. Funeral services are scheduled for Tuesday.

May 8, 2010

A 78-year-old male was found dead, trapped under a large tree Friday night in a rural area of Douglas County.

Man found dead under tree

The 78-year-old man was thought to be cutting down trees southeast of Clinton Lake when a tree pinned him. Enlarge video

Emergency crews responded about 8 p.m. to the 800 block of East 1000 Road, southeast of Clinton Lake.

Sheriff’s Sgt. Lyle Hagenbuch said it appeared the man had been cutting trees from a fence line when the tree fell on him.

Undersheriff Steve Hornberger said that as of Saturday morning, they were still awaiting confirmation that the man's family had been notified before releasing his name.

Check back to LJWorld.com for more information on this story as it develops.

Comments

Deja Coffin 3 years, 11 months ago

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family. Maybe there is some peace in knowing that he wasn't out there for too long before he was found.

bennyoates 3 years, 11 months ago

Wow, Shewmon shows up on here but doesn't blame the accident on the President. He must be turning into a socialist. Where's barrypenders? Busily drafting another of his distinctive responses from the depths of mom's basement?

Fatty_McButterpants 3 years, 11 months ago

MacHeath: the older generations were definitely tougher than the "candy asses" of today. Now all we do is whine about self-esteem...

MacHeath 3 years, 11 months ago

My Dad "stobbed" himself in the eye while cutting some Osage Orange. He was in his 70's. He didn't even tell anyone. Mom was sick at the time. It was a full two years before I found out he did't have any vision in one eye!

MacHeath 3 years, 11 months ago

Yeah, those guys of that age and disposition do things by themselves. My Dad was like that. I was always worried that he was going to do injure himself, or worse. But, they are going to do it, and I admire that. I know another old dude that a tree fell on. It broke his leg. He used the saw to cut the tree off of himself, got in his pickup, and drove himself home. Condolences to the family. If he was like my Dad, you couldn't of stopped him anyway.

Robert Rauktis 3 years, 11 months ago

Kris_H 3 years, 11 months ago

He must have been a tough old dude. I'm impressed he was out there cutting down trees at an age when a lot of folks are wasting away in nursing homes already.

My condolences to his family and friends.

Tom Shewmon 3 years, 11 months ago

Cutting wood is dangerous on many counts. I've done alot of it in my life, felling some humongo trees. I've had some very, very close calls. It doesn't take a very large limb either that is bent and packing some spring when you saw it off to severely injure or do you in. This poor old man should've had at least one other person working with him (advice I rarely follow myself) but it could've made a difference.

oneflewover 3 years, 11 months ago

Thats how I want to go. I'd rather be taken out by a tree than a bug or cancer. Live a good productive life up until the end. Amen.

Fatty_McButterpants 3 years, 11 months ago

Considering the report says a man was found dead, and that he was cutting trees, I can't believe that "50 year resident" and "workinghard" are so confused...

workinghard 3 years, 11 months ago

Since they are saying a 'body', I am assuming it means he did not survive. Prayers for the family either way.

1234 3 years, 11 months ago

Anyone that was listening to scanner..... alive, or whats the story?

doc1 3 years, 11 months ago

blue73harley 3 years, 11 months ago

Nope. It is SE. I did a mapquest and it is due east of Lone Star Lake.

Randall Barnes 3 years, 11 months ago

feel sorry for the family. scanner traffic said he was there for about 5 hours

TheEleventhStephanie 3 years, 11 months ago

Wow. But hey, isn't that address actually NORTHeast of Clinton Lake?

50YearResident 3 years, 11 months ago

My guess, A land owner was clearing out some large trees with a chainsaw and the tree fell the wrong way and on him. Just guessing as I do not know what the story is about except how else could a body get trapped by a tree?