Archive for Thursday, May 6, 2010

Morgan Hill students sent home over clothing

May 6, 2010

— The parents of five Morgan Hill high school students who were sent home after showing up in clothing emblazoned with American flags on Cinco de Mayo say the school's decision was "un-American."

The boys say the assistant principal of Live Oak High School told them on Wednesday to take off their shirts or turn them inside out because they were offending some Hispanic students and school officials worried they could spark a fight.

The boys' shorts and shoes also had American flags.

The boys say when they refused, they were sent home.

Austin Carvalho, one of the boys, said they were not trying to start trouble. At least two of the boys are part Mexican.

Nick Boden, the school's principal, declined comment. But Jay Totter, a spokesman for the district, said district officials disagreed with the decision.

Comments

ivalueamerica 5 years ago

Did you notice the teabaggers failed to translate into votes during primaries this week?

Majestic42 5 years ago

Still name-calling, eh? Not at all what an 11-year-old would do.

ivalueamerica 5 years ago

I really do not feel the need to treat racist groups in a socially acceptable fashion.

Majestic42 5 years ago

And your proof that Tea Party members are racist is...where?

Stuart Evans 5 years ago

I can't help but wonder what you call the NAACP... What's that.. not everyone in the NAACP has a racist agenda? I would bet the same equates for those who participate in the Tea Party.

ivalueamerica 5 years ago

and yet at any NAACP event, you do not find people holding signs talking about the white menace, but at teabagger events, you see signs that say the brown menace.

When people at NAACP say or do things that are racist, they are asked to leave, at teabagger events, they are allowed to remain.

You tell me what the difference is.

Majestic42 4 years, 12 months ago

Show me the sign. Show me the picture of the "brown menace" sign. Show me the video of the racist being "allowed to remain." Show me proof, don't show me talking points from Olbermann.

ivalueamerica 4 years, 12 months ago

i think Dale Robertson, one of the founders of the Teabaggers holding this sign says all that needs to be said.

Caution, this photo contains the N word, though spelled poorly.

and here is a collection of signs regularly found at teabagger events. Again, if these are the people I annoy, then I am doing something right.

I value America too much to allow racists to join the conversation.

not all photos in this montage are racist, some are just ignorant without adding that special level of mental illness called racism.

Majestic42 4 years, 12 months ago

Racism is unacceptable and I would personally accost people with those idiotic signs that are in fact racist. (Some are just anti-Obama, which, whether you like it or not, is not always racist.) You are committing a rookie mistake in lumping all Tea Party members in with a few fringe weirdos. Surely you don't believe they are representative of the whole group, do you? If you do, then you have not done your homework, you are taking the easy way out, and there's no reasoning to be done.

ivalueamerica 4 years, 12 months ago

You are making the mistake of ignoring the fact that one of those signs, the worst one, in fact, was made by one of the founders.

You are making the mistake of ignoring the fact that people with those signs were allowed to remain.

You re ignoring the fact that the TeaBaggers did nothing about the abundance of those signs until after the bad press, not before showing a tolerance for the point of view.

You are ignoring the facts.

geekin_topekan 5 years ago

What do you call those bozos at the health care town halls? Seems the only thing the right exhibits is irrational and unfounded anger.

Anger is an emotion you now. The only one that the right wing seems to know and apparently is uncontrolled.

Shane Rogers 5 years ago

Hmmm....wonder what would have happened had they shown up at school sporting clothing emblazoned with the Mexican flag?

Uh huh....

Flap Doodle 5 years ago

The Cleveland Steamers want us to be ashamed of being Americans.

denak 5 years ago

I agree. In fact, I think the school was "damned if they did and damned if they didn't" The boys are playing coy. They know what response they would get wearing the American flag on that particular day. They did it with the full knowledge that their actions would illicit a reponse, probably negative.

Personally, I think the school should have just stayed out of it and let the chips fall where they may and if that meant those boys got the crap kicked out of them, so be it. However, the school probably would then have been sued by the parents for not protecting their "babies" instead of telling their kids they got what they deserved for being stupid.

Dena

Truthspeaker 5 years ago

How screwed up are things when wearing the American flag causes anger in people...and the flag wearers are punished. Good lord, what country is this?

denak 4 years, 12 months ago

It isn't that they wore the American flag but the intent behind wearing the flag. Had they worn the flag as a legitimate sign of patriotism and pride, without the intent to denigrate another culture, then the school would have been at fault and I would have been behind the students 100%. However, that wasn't their intent, as evident by their choice in days, so I think, rather than showing pride for the U.S. and our flag, they not only insulted Mexican heritage but America's heritage.

Truthspeaker 4 years, 12 months ago

Last I checked they live in United States. They were wearing the colors of the United States. If other studetns are offended by that....too freaking bad. If they wore shirts that says "I hate Mexicans" or some variation thereof, you'd have a point. Wearing the Maerican flag is never wrong.

Majestic42 5 years ago

LOL. You bit, and you bit hard. You took the bait the liberals were offering. They somehow turned a couple of boys wearing patriotic clothing on a day that really means nothing to ACTUAL Hispanics and played the race card. Don't eat what they're feeding you; it's most likely crap.

Majestic42 5 years ago

You mean like the Hispanic kids who were the ones wearing the flag shirts to begin with?

ivalueamerica 5 years ago

There is more than meets the eye. I would not think for one moment that these children would be sent home simply for wearing American flags. I would bet money that they also came with some anti Latino message of some sort...planted by their parents no doubt as bigotry is a disease that is most often contacted from Parents who suffer the affliction.

think_about_it 5 years ago

So wearing an American flag on your shirts makes you a bigot and a racist. Your logic is twisted sister.

Stuart Evans 5 years ago

if that's the case, every member of congress as well as the president are racist bigots. they all have American flag pins on their lapel these days.

ivalueamerica 5 years ago

your reading comprehension must need help. I never said wearing an American flag makes you racist, but if you have to lie to try and make your point, then you are pointless.

I said that there is something more than meets the eye.

In fact, I said I doubt they would be home for simply wearing an American flag. That means that there is absolutely nothing wrong with wearing an American flag.

You are so in denial of facts that you lie clearly and blatently. That just makes you a liar, nothing more. You have failed.

whats_going_on 5 years ago

" I would bet money that they also came with some anti Latino message of some sort...planted by their parents no doubt as bigotry is a disease that is most often contacted from Parents who suffer the affliction."

...."At least two of the boys are part Mexican."

yeah.

MeAndFannieLou 5 years ago

I have actually been to Morgan Hell, so I have some idea of the context of this story - I bet there is much, much more to it than this.

redfred 5 years ago

According to the CBS news some of the kids wearing the clothing were of Hispanic origin. They just happen to also be USA citizens and wanted to show their support for their country.

Flap Doodle 5 years ago

We must punish ourselves for the sins of the White Devils.

Majestic42 5 years ago

The Gospel of Obama, succinctly stated.

MojoCatnip 5 years ago

You mean those devils...like his mom? From under what rock did you people crawl?

anonyname 5 years ago

Thanks to freedom of speech and capitalism, you're quite welcome to do so. Go for it!

grimpeur 5 years ago

rcc and iva get the cigars.

Sometimes your (parents') bluff is called. They must be so proud. Too bad the kids are pawns in a stupid homer's game.

Stuart Evans 5 years ago

are you under the impression that high school kids can be easily influenced to do anything for their parents? These kids were able to decide on their own that this would be a funny way to make a statement. I applaud them, I hope they choose to use their free speech as much as they want to. boohoo to those who might have been offended. in America, you're going to see American flags.

Ralph Reed 5 years ago

Just watched the video at Yahoo from a TV Channel in that area. http://news.yahoo.com/video/sanfranciscocbs5-15751300/s-bay-students-wearing-u-s-flag-shirts-sent-home-19586193 Right now it's a tempest in a teapot. By the end of the day, the district reversed the principal's decision. Also, there were no American Flags per se; there were red and white shoes, a t-shirt with a field of blue with white stars and red and white stripes going around the back, and so on.

no_thanks 5 years ago

Are you kidding me? Why would some kids wearing American flag shirts on Cinco de Mayo illicit a response from Mexican students? Cinco de Mayo is a celebration of the victory of Mexican Army over the French Army in the Battle of Puebla, it has nothing to do with their independence. Further, Cinco de Mayo is rarely celebrated by Mexicans, but has become a popular day for Americans to celebrate. So, maybe your point is that you believe that wearing a shirt with an American flag on any day will illicit a response from Mexican students, which is tragic for many other reasons.

tomatogrower 5 years ago

If these students had worn the same shirts on St. Patrick's Day when everyone else was wearing green, the I would say it wasn't racist. But, guess what, I bet they didn't.

tomatogrower 4 years, 12 months ago

Cinco de Mayo in the US is a celebration of Mexican heritage, like St. Patrick's day is a celebration of Irish heritage. Just because you don't like Mexicans doesn't mean our country wasn't highly influenced by the hispanic culture, as you drink your beer on your "patio" while you plan to go to "Montana" to see a "rodeo".

Truthspeaker 5 years ago

Fantastic logic. So wearing the american flag = racism.

seriouscat 5 years ago

Schools across the country have had to keep changing their dress codes in order to quell violence. Kids haven't been allowed to wear colored bananas for decades because the bananas themselves constitute speech that is intended to convey what 'side' someone is on. While I would agree that it is regrettable that it is necessary in the first place, they were right to take the action they did.

Truthspeaker 5 years ago

Yeah, we sure wouldn't want kids wearing "bananas" showing they support the country. Those hoodlums.

seriouscat 5 years ago

Oops! banana are always getting the bad rap : )

Stuart Evans 5 years ago

I knew bananas came in green, yellow & black. Are there other colors as well? I really had no idea that a banana could convey more of a message than Dole or Chiquita.

Flap Doodle 5 years ago

Think how little work would get done in Germany if they had a national holiday for every battle where they whupped the French.

Flap Doodle 5 years ago

"75x55 (anonymous) replies… Ask much as I appreciate a good French army joke, they're really not indicative of the full historical record. " That's correct. Cheap humor is still needed sometimes, tho.....

Stuart Evans 5 years ago

did the American funded school also fail to display the American flag on that day? or was it deemed too offensive?

Kam_Fong_as_Chin_Ho 5 years ago

Of course it's racist. Similary, anyone in Mexico who displays or wears the Mexican flag on July 4th is also a racist. Eating french toast on Cinco de Mayo is racist, too, because it shows support for France.

Stuart Evans 5 years ago

wearing an American flag on July 4th is bigoted and racist against the British. Imagine how many Britons are living here and are deeply offended by our celebration of kicking their ancestors to the curb.

Ralph Reed 5 years ago

@Kam_Fong:

You forgot, it's actually "Freedom Toast." Ahhh, how quickly we forget (sigh).

bad_dog 5 years ago

OK-I can't take it anymore ;-)

Illicit = illegal, unauthorized, immoral or unethical activities

Elicit = to evoke or bring out, e.g. a response

anonyname 5 years ago

After reading the whole comment thread, I was just about to point that out. Thanks!!

bad_dog 5 years ago

It's nice to see I "elicited" a pleasant response.

Have a good day all...

audibleangel 4 years, 12 months ago

isn't it illegal to wear american flags anyway... dumb rednecks wouldn't know patriotism if it bit em on the :) :) :)

Liberty275 4 years, 12 months ago

I'm a dumb redneck and I know a private citizen can do anything they want with an american flag they own. I'm a dumb redneck that knows what the words "freedom of speech' means. I'm also a dumb redneck that knows the ideals behind the flag are what is important, the flag minus the ideals is a worthless pile of cloth.

I'm also a dumb redneck that joined the military at 17.

You must be daddy's little college boy to fail so hard.

gccs14r 4 years, 12 months ago

If you think clothing doesn't have political significance on holidays, I invite you to wear conspicuous orange on St. Patrick's Day. Do it in Belfast for maximum effect.

Corey Williams 4 years, 12 months ago

I formally second this invitation. Just so long as I can go and watch the results.

Liberty275 4 years, 12 months ago

Wouldn't the inhabitants of said country on said day be to too drunk to take on a healthy American with any effectiveness?

Corey Williams 4 years, 12 months ago

Ha! Ha!

That's pretty good.

No. Not a chance.

Bob_Keeshan 4 years, 12 months ago

Gotta hand it to Kealing.

Posting tripe like this really stirs up the rubes, creates a big pile of comments, and is attractive when setting up new ad rates for the online sales staff.

Well done.

Robert Rauktis 4 years, 12 months ago

Cinco de Mayo. The holiday Budweiser concocted to sell beer. Hard to believe these bozos elevate it to anything besides a swilling degradation.

md 4 years, 12 months ago

I think ivalue is a blind bigot. She is ready to judge and stereotype any that she doesn't agree with or understand. Obviously she gets her opinion from limited sources. She needs to do a little research and have an open mind.

Majestic42 4 years, 12 months ago

No! Don't you see?!? Since you don't agree with her, it's YOU who are narrow-minded! I DARE someone to ask me "Well, where do YOU get your news?" I DOUBLE dare you, fight-pickin' liberals.

Corey Williams 4 years, 12 months ago

Dare accepted.

Well, where do YOU get your news?

Majestic42 4 years, 12 months ago

Lol, I'm a KU j-school grad with an iPhone. The first five apps on my home screen are the AP wire, NYTimes, KCStar, NPR, and FOXNews. I regularly read Breitbart and HuffPost, and listen to 980AM here in KC and a progressive talk radio station from Seattle. I do not get cable. Gasp, diversity! Of course, most liberals watch MSNBC and read HuffPost and call it good.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 12 months ago

The holiday actually commemorates a short naval war between Mexico & Peru. Peru had a frigate named the Mayo & it sink'od

Truthspeaker 4 years, 12 months ago

One COULD construe it that way, only if one were actively looking for ways to be offended.

If students or people are offended by the flag of the United States while IN the United States, that's just too bad.

gccs14r 4 years, 12 months ago

The flag should not be worn as clothing, per U.S. Code.

took_the_money_and_ran 4 years, 12 months ago

What's the matter with those kids? In Los Angeles, the respectful way to observe Cinco de Mayo is with a Lucha Va Voom show, a combination of masked wrestlers and burlesque: http://www.latimes.com/theguide/events-and-festivals/la-hotlist-cinco4-2010may4,0,6278992.story