Archive for Monday, March 29, 2010

Cole Aldrich going pro: Junior center leaving KU to enter NBA Draft

Kansas center Cole Aldrich declares his intention to enter the NBA draft alongside head coach Bill Self, Monday, March 29, 2010 at Allen Fieldhouse.

March 29, 2010, 11:27 a.m. Updated March 30, 2010, 12:00 a.m.

Cole Aldrich press conference

Kansas center Cole Aldrich declares for the NBA Draft in a press conference on March 29, 2010.

Videos: Aldrich to go pro

Cole Aldrich gave Kansas fans a solid three years, posting some record numbers in his time as a Jayhawk. Aldrich officially declared for the NBA draft Monday.

Walt Aldrich was watching highlights of his son’s news conference Monday afternoon in his home in Bloomington, Minn., when his beeper went off.

The volunteer firefighter responded to a call that turned out to be a false alarm.

“Someone hit a gas line with their weed wacker,” Walt Aldrich, father of Kansas University junior center Cole Aldrich, explained.

He hurried back home to resume reviewing the big news of the day — Cole Aldrich’s declaring for the 2010 NBA Draft in a 3:30 p.m. media gathering in Allen Fieldhouse.

“He loves college and the team, (but) I think he has a feeling he’s ready. It’s time to be paid for having fun,” Walt Aldrich said.

Cole will be paid a bundle of money — in fact, he’s ticketed to be an instant millionaire — after being tapped in the first round of the June draft.

The money should help in various ways.

“Cole has talked a lot about this being a tough year. I don’t think the public or media would possibly know what his family members have gone through this year,” KU coach Bill Self said in applauding the 6-foot-11, 250-pounder’s decision to turn pro.

“I think it was a very, very easy decision and one that needed to be made.”

Walt Aldrich has not had a steady paycheck the past four years. He has worked part-time jobs off and on — including jobs in Topeka and Kansas City — following a slowdown in the economy, specifically the sheet-metal construction business. Walt’s wife, Kathy, also had been out of work the past school year.

“Our ‘rainy-day fund’ was getting pretty thin,” said Walt, indicating that wasn’t the reason Cole turned pro.

Walt’s happy to report he recently obtained a full-time janitorial position with benefits at a plant that makes balloons, while his wife has contracted a pair of embroidering jobs.

“When we talked, we told him, ‘It’s your life, kid. You are an adult. Don’t worry about us. We’ve always made it and always will,’” Walt said. “It’s just time. He’s almost 7-foot, can shoot and blocks a lot of shots. You’d think some team could use somebody like him.”

Various NBA Draft sites list Aldrich as a certain lottery (top 14) pick.

“I’m hoping to go really high,” said Cole Aldrich, who said he now is in the market for an agent as he enters the draft with no looking back. “I’ll take the individual workouts (for NBA teams) from here on out until the draft and make sure I put myself in the best position to help whatever team I go to be successful.”

Self — he said he has known since last April that Aldrich would be turning pro after three seasons — said it’s “almost irrelevant” where Aldrich is selected.

“We all know he’s going to go pretty high ... whether he goes No. 5 or 14, I think so much of it would be dependent on what other bigs are in the draft,” Self said.

“Regardless of where he’s projected, in his particular situation, I think it’s the right move now for him to go ahead and enter. I’d strongly discourage him from coming back. I think he’s paid his dues here, and it’s time for him to move forward into another chapter. He’s made a lot of sacrifices — and his family has — for him to come back (for junior year) in a time where he didn’t have to. We’re all very proud of him.”

Aldrich, who recently was named college basketball’s academic player of the year, said his goal is to graduate in May of 2011.

“It’d be cool to walk down the hill in May with Tyrel (Reed), Conner (Teahan), (Chase) Buford, and Brady (Morningstar) is probably going to get there sometime,” joked Aldrich, who will be about 16 hours shy of his degree after this semester.

“It’s going to be a busy summer. It’s going to be a busy spring. I’m going to work hard on the basketball court, and if I have time, work hard in the classroom.”

He fought back tears at a news conference attended by teammates, coaches, administrators and his girlfriend.

“I don’t want to get choked up or anything, but the last three years have been pretty special. A lot of highs and a few lows this summer with my grandma (who died after bout with cancer),” Aldrich said.

“But it’s a special time, I think, for me and my family. I have talked to them extensively. We went through somewhat of the same process last year figuring out what I wanted to do, whether I wanted to come back and have another great year or go from one great chapter to hopefully starting another great chapter in life.”

Aldrich — who finished his KU career four blocks shy of Greg Ostertag’s school-record total of 258 — said he wished the team were still playing.

“We were all upset that it had to end so short,” said Aldrich, who was part of KU’s national title team in 2008. “Being a part of a team that went and played all six games and then playing three games last year, we had high goals. But those goals are going to be there again. And I hope the team next year is going to be there again. I’m really going to support those guys.”

Perhaps as a member of his hometown Minnesota Timberwolves?

“I think it’d be special, just being a kid from Minnesota all my life. I don’t know how realistic it’d be. If it’s the best situation for me as a player, it’d be great. I just want to be in the best situation for myself and my family,” he said.

Comments

aha 4 years, 8 months ago

See ya Cole. Good luck in the NBA. We will miss you.

lukec 4 years, 8 months ago

Maybe its a good sign that Henry isn't joining him to announce too

canusayduh 4 years, 8 months ago

Does every player that goes eligible for the draft feel the need for a press conference?

number1jayhawker 4 years, 8 months ago

Yes it is wise for them to "declare" for the draft at a press conference. It officially gets them on the record and also they shouldn't be hounded by reporters 24/7.

Eride 4 years, 8 months ago

"oneeye_wilbur (anonymous) says… Too bad he doesn't finish his degree. His parents should encourage that. After all, that is why he attended college isn't it? And he isn't really dumb either. Forget the NBA, get a degree and show that you are a cut above about money!"

I think he is showing he isn't dumb by going to the NBA, the dumb thing to do would be to stay in school and miss out on several million dollars.

He can always go back to school after he finishes playing professional basketball. Finishing his degree will always be there, playing professional basketball for millions is a time limited exercise.

ssakcaj 4 years, 8 months ago

My prediction is that he does not declare for the draft. Not really, he has a national championship ring and for the most part he's done everything you can at that level.

My real prediction is the Xavier Henry does stay. He doesn't have a ring and wasn't that impressive overall throughout the tounament. The extra year would do him good.

jbiegs 4 years, 8 months ago

I have a question for one eye wilbur....why does one go to college? The answer.....to prepare themself for a career. Aldrich has prepared himself and is ready to begin his career. I wish everyone would quit being so jeolous of the athletes who have the opportunity to play professional ball. I'd like to see anyone on here that says they would stay and finish school turn down a multi-million dollar contract to go back to mid-terms and homework.

jonas_opines 4 years, 8 months ago

"My real prediction is the Xavier Henry does stay."

Let's not give him any bigger of a head by adding an article to his name. ;)

parrothead8 4 years, 8 months ago

@oneeye_wilbur

Aldrich only needs two more classes to graduate. He can take those over the summer (or over the next two summers), get his degree whenever, and get into the NBA now before they institute a rookie salary cap...or he can stay around college another year, take a bunch of superfluous classes, lose a year of NBA earnings, and enter the NBA with a much smaller salary than he would by being drafted this year.

Which would you choose?

riverdrifter 4 years, 8 months ago

Cole's work is done here. Time to move on. Leave ~$150K/week on the table to come back to school? Huh?

hbjayhawk 4 years, 8 months ago

Hey "jbiegs" . . . what happened to your K-S-U wildcats?? I was so sick of hearing your garbage in these posts the last week. Good luck waiting another 22 years to see the the Elite 8 again while the Jayhawks post multiple banners and numerous final 4's . . . loser.

Steve Tramba 4 years, 8 months ago

Ugh. Does anyone know exactly HOW MANY hours Cole is shy of his degree? What if it's 6, and 2 classes in the fall fufilled it? The word correspondence comes to mind (got my very last class done that way in a fall setting). I think his parents WILL encourage that, so no worries there. Get the money which his family needs desperately, & then I'd challenge to Cole to follow in the footsteps of Scot Pollard. Have a solid NBA career & don't blow the $$$ away (guessing those odds are very very low), then own property in Lawrence - whether it's full-time or a summer home. I can think of few better ways where Cole can give back to a community that embraced him for his 3 years on the hill by hanging around town for summer camps, etc.

Best of luck to you Cole!

jbiegs 4 years, 8 months ago

hbjayhawk.... My KSU wildcats made it 2 rounds further than your choke artist hawks did! And for the record, KSU will be the favorite to win the Big 12 next year.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 8 months ago

My sources say he's still trying to decide whether to join the Navy and become a submariner, or join the Peace Corps where he'd work with the Aka, Efé and Mbuti tribes (AKA Pygmies) of central Africa and help them develop an Olympic basketball program.

So_tired_of_the_whiners 4 years, 8 months ago

jbiegs... Are you sure you want to go there and do that?

jbiegs 4 years, 8 months ago

Hey, I just call em like I see em. lol

wolfy 4 years, 8 months ago

X is gone too. It's just that, unlike Cole, X's family will milk the process for all it's worth. Remember the multi-act recruiting melodrama a year ago?

I hope I'm wrong, but I fear I'm not.

BigAl 4 years, 8 months ago

KSU and KU both had good seasons. However, when it all gets added up, KU had the better season. Big12 Champs by 3 games and beat KSU 3 times. It is hard to get past that one. However, let me say again, KSU had a very good season.

As far as next year, I have no idea who will be favored to win the Big12. For the past several years, it has been Kansas. At this point, I see no reason to think it will be anyone else.

So_tired_of_the_whiners 4 years, 8 months ago

jbiegs... KSU was two rounds further this year, KU was 25 rounds further in the last decade. As for who will be the better team next year. Just wait and see...

Crispian Paul 4 years, 8 months ago

Cole is a great player in college and will probably be a good player in the NBA, but I think he should finish school and his basketball training first. My fiancee, the sports nut/ESPN junkie says he thinks Cole will be in for a rude awakening in the NBA.

Eride 4 years, 8 months ago

No offense to your fiancee but I think the fact that several NBA teams would be willing to draft him as a lottery pick speaks to the expectation that he will perform well in the NBA.

And even if he doesn't, and for some reason were only to play for the guaranteed portion of his draft contract... he would still earn several million dollars.... guaranteed. If he stays another year he could get injured, his draft stock could slip out of the lottery, anything could happen.

He will never be in a better spot then he is right now, he is risking everything for nothing if he stays.

merg311 4 years, 8 months ago

Will there be a banner hung in Bramlage that says "made it 2 rounds further than KU"?

Just curious...

Jean1183 4 years, 8 months ago

I agree with Eride and the smart thing would be for him to go to the NBA now (as much as I would love it if he stayed one more year at KU).

Good Luck, Cole and THANK YOU for the great games you gave us!

monkeyspunk 4 years, 8 months ago

LOL @ merg311, post of the day in my opinion!

missmagoo 4 years, 8 months ago

"A news conference is slated to being at 3:30 p.m."

--begin???

too bad he didn't get his degree, but i guess he can always do that after his NBA career is over! Good luck Cole, thanks for the memories. Hopefully they pay you big bucks so you can get your tooth fixed!

woodscolt 4 years, 8 months ago

The right move. Would have been great to have you back but you gave plenty to the Jayhawks and now its time to do what is best for you and your family. Thanks and best of luck.

domino 4 years, 8 months ago

Hoped he would stay, but can't blame him for going. No doubt in my mind that he will finish his degree at some point - it is too important to him.

Good luck and thanks for the ride, Cole!!! It was great!!!!!!

Darrell Lea 4 years, 8 months ago

Cole has proven himself as an Academic All-American, and will be able to complete the degree of his choosing when he has the time and focus.

Doesn't one go to college to prepare for a career outside of academia? Isn't he now sufficiently prepared to avail himself of a career in professional athletics?

Congratulations and good luck, Mr. Aldrich!

jbiegs 4 years, 8 months ago

Good luck to you Cole, you are a tough competitor...unlike the most of the posters on here. hbjayhawk and csgoku are fine examples of the ku fan base! I can see how my first post would automatically make one think I was dogging on the hawks! lol....idiots Just for you hb K........S........U..........Wildcats! great year cats! Martin has brought us back to prominence!

68fbrd 4 years, 8 months ago

GREAT NEWS!! Aldrich bailing, Collins leaving. Now, get Henry, Tyshawn and the Morris twins and KU will finish 7th next year.

Armen Kurdian 4 years, 8 months ago

KU, KSU, Baylor...this sounds like trash talk between a bunch of lonely guys on a Friday night in a low-class bar. Each of us had the opporunities to advance. By all rights, all three of us should have made the F4. A KU-KSU meeting in the F4 would have been the game of the century. But no, we both choked.

Yes, I'm bitter as all get out and will be for months.

BigAl 4 years, 8 months ago

Cole's Junior Year:
33 wins against only 3 losses. KU won the VERY tough Big 12 conference by a whopping 3 games. In a further demonstration of superiority, they also won the Big 12 Conference Tournament. The Jayhawks swept both of their primary rivals (one of them 3 times) and were the #1 team in the country for most of the year. Longest home winning streak in the nation. As of this year, they have the longest consecutive NCAA tournament appearances in the nation. They are 2 short years removed from a National Championship. They also improved from 3rd to be tied for 2nd as the most winning program in the country.

Thanks Cole, for your super contribution.

onehawkoneshock 4 years, 8 months ago

Cole, it has been our privilege to have you wear the crimson and blue for three years. Good luck to you as you move forward!! Thanks for the memories. You will always be a Jayhawk!

grammaddy 4 years, 8 months ago

jbiegs---when was the last time your Wildcats won the Big Dance? Don't worry, I'll wait. They're losing their star player. Wanna make a bet for next year? We may lose Sherron and Cole but we also get back the two players who red-shirted this year. I think it will be a great team! ROCK CHALK!!

jbiegs 4 years, 8 months ago

grammaddy, I already said that KSU will be the team to beat next year, could I make it any more clear? How about this....KSU will finish ahead of KU next year. Your reign on top of the big 12 is over. KSU will be a perennial powerhouse as long as Frank Martin is the coach.

jbiegs 4 years, 8 months ago

gravitykills 4 years, 8 months ago

Aldrich was foolish to leave.

He struggled offensively this year and was pretty inconsistent. He's not top 10 material. One more year under his belt... maybe. Now, he will end up on a team that will bench him and you won't even here about him in the NBA for a couple years. He'll bounce into the stats in 2013 with 10 pts a game. Hopefully his career isn't as short-lived as Bryant Reeves' (Big Country). And hopefully I'm wrong.

As for money... he would have got more money next year, impact a team early, and be 1 year closer (if not have) a college education. Foolish!

jhwk215 4 years, 8 months ago

68fbrd: marcus has already said he is for sure staying, markieff isnt going anywhere and who cares about tyshawn and either way he has said he is staying to. i wud also like to point out that u pointed out our depth once again by letting us know we have to get rid of 6 players before you think we would suck. also, you should check out the recruits that are interested in kansas before you get your hopes to far up...

BigAl 4 years, 8 months ago

jbiegs. This was probably the best team that KSU has had in well over 20 years, if not longer. KSU STILL couldn't beat KU. In fact, you lost to them THREE times. KSU STILL couldn't win as many overall games as KU playing very similar schedules.

I like Frank Martin also but Bill Self is the best coach in the Big 12 and is considered one of the best coaches in the country. He has the hardware to prove it. Frank Martin has yet to win a conference let alone anything on a national level.

mom_of_three 4 years, 8 months ago

KSU is losing a couple of good players/seniors. Not sure anyone can say that KSU will finish on top. But keep thinking those positive thoughts

Don Whiteley 4 years, 8 months ago

In 2005, Florida lost on it's way to the Final Four and the following year, every single player on that Florida team returned to give Florida a National Championship. Now that was class! Aldrich's departure is just another in a continuing series of "No Class" performances from one of the most class-less teams in KU history. With the awesome natural talent they had, they should have walked over everyone, but instead, they chose to play down to their opponents because it took less effort. Good luck, Cole; my best wishes for the NBA telling you to "GET LOST".

parrothead8 4 years, 8 months ago

jbiegs (anonymous) says… KSU will be a perennial powerhouse as long as Frank Martin is the coach.

Which should be until a bigger school needs a new coach and comes knocking on Martin's door.

matthewjherbert 4 years, 8 months ago

It's too bad to see him leave, but it was his time. I'm curious to see how many of these "stay to finish your degree, isn't that why you went to college" types would stay in college if someone shoved millions of dollars in their faces. I have 2 bachelor's degrees and one master's degree; long story short, I value education. However, I can 100% guarantee you that I would have left college the SECOND anyone offered me millions of dollars to do exactly what it was I wanted to do.

jfcm77 4 years, 8 months ago

hawks1025 4 years, 8 months ago

Thanks for 3 great years wish you the best. We will miss you but understand why you are leaving. God Bless

hawks1025 4 years, 8 months ago

jbiegs 4 years, 8 months ago

Babboy, Why don't you check out the post history and then tell me I sit around all day and post. Why don't you stick to what you know...like the name calling and false assumptions. Oh wait a minute, that is what you were doing.

BruceWayne 4 years, 8 months ago

can someone tell me what KSU did this year other than set a school record for the most wins? oh yeah, they went 2 deeper than KU in the tourney. Now Iam no Digger Phelps, but I am pretty sure you don't get a banner or rings for that. I guess KSU did start some traditions...EMAW? still don't know what that means. the Octagon of Doom? More like Hawktagon wouldn't you say? Frank Martin attacked a player on live TV and got away with it because they were winning. Giving Frank the contract will come back and bite them. (see Ron Prince) I think the Nature Boy said it best when he said "to be the man, you gotta beat the man....woooooooooooooooooooo!"

nobody1793 4 years, 8 months ago

"My source tells me that Cole is going to give up basketball (and money) forever so he can teach Sunday school seven days a week instead."

Isn't that what Wayne Simien is up to these days?

OldEnuf2BYurDad 4 years, 8 months ago

"Too bad he doesn't finish his degree. His parents should encourage that. After all, that is why he attended college isn't it?"

WHAT? Uh... I think when players come to a basketball powerhouse they want to go to the NBA. When they go to an Ivy League school, they want a credential.

Marc Mondi 4 years, 8 months ago

jbiegs...

Seriously dude/dudette, you are really making an a$$ of yourself here. I'm a K-Stater that happened to grow up in Lawrence, so I've got dual allegiances. I root for KU every other game of the year except for when they play K-State, so I follow both teams pretty darn well. There is a better time and place for your ridiculous comments and irrational thoughts. K-State had a great season. KU had a great season. Neither team "sucks", and I'm sure that both teams will be battling it out next year for the Big 12 title. Go on, do like I am about to and get outside, get some fresh air... maybe it'll help you clear your mind and find some common sense.

hbjayhawk 4 years, 8 months ago

jbiegs: My goodness . . . if I represent the Jayhawk fanbase you are so critical of, then you are the posterchild for K-State and all that it has failed to accomplish this season.

Where is your Big 12 trophy? Where is your sweep of a conference foe? All you have is "Coach of the Year" in the Big 12. That is sad. Especially since Martin had to use Mangino-like tactics to get those "playas" in line.

You think KSU is going to be voted by the coaches as the #1 team in Big 12 in 2011? Without Clemente around, you guys are sinking. He is the only thing that gave you a slight (and I mean very slight) chance of keeping up with Butler on Saturday.

I will say it before and I will say it again (as you like to say) . . . K-State will NEVER beat KU when it matters in Basketball. You couldn't do in the 1988 regional final, you couldn't do it in the 2010 Big 12 final. You definitely won't do it again with Bill Self as our coach.

I make these claims because I am not a Kansas A&M dreamer . . . I am just realistic. No hard feelings. We enjoy the enthusiasm you and your fans bring to our annual trips to Manhattan. It has been fun. Blackouts, Whiteouts, Purpleouts, it doesn't matter. Like we are Nebraska's beyotch in football, you are our beyotch in basketball . . . that will never change.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk and go deliver that pizza my friend.

xdisciple 4 years, 8 months ago

To the critics saying he should go for his degree:

Every time a big man goes up in the air, he risks his knees and ankles. You might remember that Cole had to leave the UNI game for several minutes after a bad landing. I could see the worry in his eyes while he was on the bench. I even posted after the game he was thinking of his NBA career then.

A big man with his leg in a cast, or for that matter-- amputated-- with a few hundred thousand or million in the bank can finish a semester or two anytime. A big man with basketball skills in similar straits with no money, however--does not quite have the same luxury of choices.

Cole is gone. Stop acting like you're concerned for him in any way. He's thinking for himself and for his family. You're the selfish ones who would have him risk sacrificing his chances in the NBA for another 35 games playing with the Hawks-- you never played a game but it's where you get your self worth since you're such a loser yourself and can't get any on your own. You couldn't care less about him as a human being, or his education. Give me a break.

gccs14r 4 years, 8 months ago

I think anyone who gets into college on an athletic scholarship and bails early for a professional sports career should have to repay the scholarship.

merg311 4 years, 8 months ago

jbiegs, stop me if you've heard this before. To be the best you have to beat the best. Your kitties were 0-3 against the Hawks this year. To say our reign in the Big 12 is over seems a bit foolish. We finished 4 games ahead of the next best in the Big 12. Even with the loss of Collins, Aldrich, and probably Henry, never count us out.

Most importantly, always remember...TRADITION NEVER GRADUATES

hawksfanatic 4 years, 8 months ago

Good luck, Cole. Have a great career in the NBA. We'll be cheering for you!

justsaying 4 years, 8 months ago

Good Luck Cole..... you are a class act. Thanks for being awesome!

Sparko 4 years, 8 months ago

Great decision for Cole and his family. I thank him for his tenacity and heart. I wish him the very best--he deserves it. A big man places a lot of stress on his body playing this rough game; take the money while you are healthy enough to enjoy it. He is a defensive beast.

drnater 4 years, 8 months ago

Hhahaha, gccs blame the NBA for so many early graduates. If you didnt have to go to college for at least a year then one and dones would be a rarity. Cole leaving a year early is like what Emeka Okafur did last time UConn won the National Championship, he was all but done with school as a junior so why go do something you can finish online after you get paid to practice? Even if they did have to pay back a scholarship it would be chump change to him, because he's about to get paid bank!

sundancewierdo 4 years, 8 months ago

oneeye_wilbur (anonymous) says… "Too bad he doesn't finish his degree. His parents should encourage that. After all, that is why he attended college isn't it? And he isn't really dumb either. Forget the NBA, get a degree and show that you are a cut above about money!"

People go to college to get a job. I'd say this NBA is a pretty good fricking job.

Good Luck Cole!!!

7texdude 4 years, 8 months ago

Good luck Cole! Best wishes. People here are also forgetting the NBA could have a lockout in 2011. Very strong chance. I watched a little of the All-Star game and that was all they talked about. He had to go and it was a no-brainer. His family needs the money and you can't risk a lockout. What then? Europe?

Cole will be a strong NBA player. Everyone wants defense. C.J. Giles played in the league for many years and he was a stiff. Cole will be fine.

jonas_opines 4 years, 8 months ago

A lot of our other considerable post talent will have a chance to develop and thrive.

TopJayhawk 4 years, 8 months ago

CJ Giles did not play many (or any) yrs in the league.
Athletic histroical revisionaism is thick today.

yankeevet 4 years, 8 months ago

Happy for you; good luck to you........

newmedia 4 years, 8 months ago

Good luck Cole. Be sure to follow through and get that degree. A career in the NBA can be limited. A KU diploma is forever !!

yankeevet 4 years, 8 months ago

whats_going_on 4 years, 8 months ago

Thats an iffy subject...he would have been the first one to graduate in his family (I think) and (I also think) he was pretty close...only had a few hours. On one hand...its an immediate paycheck. On the other, if he graduated and NBA for some reason doesn't work out, he has a backup. Although, he may be able to finish classes online or something if he really wanted.

Yoda51 4 years, 8 months ago

"Walt Aldrich has not had a steady paycheck the past four years. He has worked part-time jobs off and on ... following a slowdown in the economy, specifically the sheet-medal construction business." ~ from 3/29/10 LJW article.

Hey! I'm no English teacher here to correct your spelling but how come Gary Bedore, or his proof reader, didn't catch the glaring error in the above sentence? The correct term is "sheet METAL". It's not an Olympic sport ... yet!

And as far as Cole Aldrich is concerned, I hope he doesn't have time to read these message boards because some of the posters are just mindless rabble rousers. He was talented enough to be a starter at Kansas and with KU's tradition of winning, it's rightly seen as a stepping stone to an NBA contract. He has worked hard and come out a winner. So now he's about to get the hard earned reward. Good idea, Cole ... go in peace!

Jonathan Kealing 4 years, 8 months ago

Yoda--

Thanks for finding that.

Jonathan Kealing Online editor

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years, 8 months ago

I think it's funny that you're all letting jbiegs get under your skin. Like KU has anything to prove to KSU? Frank Martin even said that if they can't start beating KU, they haven't accomplished too much.

I think it's ridiculous that some of you act like Cole owes everyone or the university something. What a bunch of BS! Thanking Cole for being a good player, student, and leader and all the things he has given to KU is more appropriate, IMO.

I root for both teams and this rivalry will be nice 'n spicy next year! Good luck to both!

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years, 8 months ago

yankeevet (anonymous) says… Making about 20 bucks an hour with my degree.................and someone who can play pro ball; becomes an instant millionare..............wow...........only in America..........land of the free for some............and wage slaves for the rest..........................good luck to you anyway....... ================= No one pays $50 a seat to come and watch you "work".

yankeevet 4 years, 8 months ago

Ricky.........lol......u are so right................

Armen Kurdian 4 years, 8 months ago

I'll say a good portion of Cole's 'woes' this season were not his fault. He's supposed to get fed by other players to go inside. I didn't see that enough a lot of the year. Can't blame him for that. If Ostertag could have a long career in the NBA, I can't possibly imagine Cole's career won't be better.

Just promise us that you won't be one of those NBA prima donnas, Cole. Don't squander your paycheck on furs & bling. You're a smart guy. Save & invest.

As for the trash talking between the KU & KSU fans, neither of us have any plumage to strut right now. We both should have made the F4, hands down. Didn't happen.

Anyone but Duke!

Crispian Paul 4 years, 8 months ago

Henry Salmans 4 years, 8 months ago

Cole,

I've enjoyed watching you this season, your maturation as a player, and I was encouraged to hear you still have plans on completing your degree. I look forward to seeing your future success on and off the court.

Coach Self,

Thank you for yet another professional press conference, it clear that you care deeply for the players and are always magnanimous in your comments.

With Utmost Respect ~ Semper Fi, Hank

jbiegs 4 years, 8 months ago

Good points Ricky Vaugn! throw 'em the heater Ricky! Can't wait to hear what kind of responses this will bring! lol insecurity is an ugly shade on you hbjayhawk and babboy.

BigAl 4 years, 8 months ago

Even in KSU's best season ever they were still looking up at KU. I don't think there is very much for a KU fan to be insecure about.

How did that "Octagon of Doom" thing work out for you?

Beth Bird 4 years, 8 months ago

I think it is sad that he is giving up an education that will help him his entire life for a possible stint in the NBA......

Don Whiteley 4 years, 8 months ago

I may be a KU fan, but I had to say "not true, BigAL". Look it up in the Sports books. K-State may not have quite the record KU has, but it never gets the recruits KU gets either. K-State has reached the Final Four 4 times, made it to the Elite Eight 12 times, and made it to the Sweet Sixteen 16 times; finishing most of those years far ahead of KU. And let's not forget 1981 when a little purple farm school from the Midwest knocked off #1 Oregon in a very similar fashion as UNI knocked off KU.

Marc Mondi 4 years, 8 months ago

Seriously, this kid is an ACADEMIC ALL-AMERICAN. I'm pretty sure he will have enough common sense to finish his degree when he gets done playing ball. Even if he plays for 1 year and has a career ending injury, I'm sure he'll have enough $$ from that one year of playing professional B-Ball to pay for his last semester or two to get his degree. I am so tired of this stupid "stay in school, get your degree" argument. Makes no sense for someone like Cole.

While I'm thinking of it... you know the commercial they often show on ESPN, the one that says "There are over 300,000 college athletes, and most all of them will go pro in something other than sports?" Yeah, that doesn't apply to Cole b/c he is going pro in basketball, the CAREER he came to KU to further his education in.

1029 4 years, 8 months ago

distant_voice writes: "I may be a KU fan..."

Ha. Now that's funny. distant_voice has consistently made anti-KU basketball comments all season long. If I remember correctly, after the first or second Big 12 game, he/she predicted that KU would lose 5 or 6 games in league play. (this distant_voice comment may have been the stupidest, i-don't-know-a-thing-about-college-basketball comment I ever read on a KU basketball-related LJ-W article in 2010)

He/she is a K-State fan. Don't be fooled.

jbiegs 4 years, 8 months ago

sounds like 1029 doesn't like the fact check that distant voice brought to the discussion. What exactly made this the "stupidest, i-don't-know-a-thing-about-college-basketball" comment? Just because you don't like a fact doesn't mean you can throw insults at the person and make it not true. Your smugness is overwhelming!

2002 4 years, 8 months ago

Hmmm, I'm hiring for a position and I have two choices. Choice 1 is a kid that complete all but 16 hours towards his degree but then took a full time job doing what he likes and is making a good income. Choice 2 a kid that never had a job during school, finished his degree and wants me to give him a chance, after all he has a degree. A degree is important, but being wise enough to make a good choice is more valuable. I'm hiring the first person.

Eride 4 years, 8 months ago

"Crispian (Crispian Paul) says… ERIDE, I don't disagree that he will be drafted by a good team....I simply mean I doubt he will be playing or performing at NBA "star" level any time soon....He's a great player. just young and certainly no LeBron."

I thank you for responding so maturely.

Who cares if he is no Lebron... there are 3-4 players who are of that kind of skill at that age. The vast majority of the NBA is built on role players. Ostertag was a completely unathletic, slightly skilled 7 footer who made the most money of any KU basketball player ever because of his hard work (note: Paul Pierce might have recently exceeded his pay but still... LOL).

The NBA isn't about people being Lebron.

The NBA is about people like Cole who have passion for the game and will give it everything they have. And regardless, none of that matters. The kid wants to play NBA. He can play it. He will get payed millions to play it... He deserves it, and anyone who says otherwise isn't a Jayhawk.