Archive for Saturday, March 27, 2010

Wichita RB picks Kansas

March 27, 2010, 2:51 p.m. Updated March 28, 2010, 12:00 a.m.

As expected, Wichita Heights running back Dreamius Smith orally committed to Turner Gill’s Kansas University football program on Saturday.

Smith, in town with his family to take in the Jayhawks first practices of the spring and visit the facilities, becomes the second commitment in KU’s Class of 2011. He joins fellow-running back Darrian Miller, of Blue Springs (Mo.) High as the first high school juniors to commit to Kansas this season.

“I met all of the coaches and they made it feel like a home to me,” Smith told on Saturday.

KU assistant coach Robert Wimberly was the lead recruiter for the projected four-star running back and Smith said last week that he felt as if Wimberly was one of his best friends.

After meeting with Wimberly and other KU assistant coaches — including running backs coach Reggie Mitchell — Smith and his family sat down with Gill and told the head coach of his decision to become a Jayhawk.

As a junior in 2009, Smith, 6-foot, 205 pounds, rushed for more than 1,300 yards and helped lead Wichita Heights to the Class 6A state title game, where they lost to Olathe North. In addition, Smith joined heavily-recruited hoops teammate Perry Ellis in leading Heights to the state basketball title.

In February, Kansas became the first school to offer Smith a scholarship. That early interest, combined with Smith’s childhood dreams of playing his college football in Lawrence, helped lead him to commit.

Smith also received heavy interest from Kansas State, Nebraska and Oklahoma State.

Jayhawks offer son of former foe

Kansas has offered a scholarship to Tyler Lockett, son of former Kansas State receiver Kevin Lockett.

Lockett, a junior wide receiver at Booker T. Washington High in Tulsa, Okla., stands 5-10, 165 pounds, runs a 4.5-second 40-yard dash and is receiving interest from Cincinnati, Houston, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and TCU.

His father, a second-round pick of the Kansas Chiefs in 1997, played eight seasons in the NFL after starring at K-State.

Mandie Eutsler 5 years, 8 months ago

What are we going to do with all those runningbacks?

Alabamastreet 5 years, 8 months ago

Question asked: "What are we going to do with all those runningbacks?"

Question answered: Win.

riverdrifter 5 years, 8 months ago

"KU dumped the best head coach ever for another Terry Allen."

Wow, just wow.

Good pick up for Coach Gill & staff.

Larry Bauerle Jr. 5 years, 8 months ago

" based on your wow response, you agree he's another Terry Allen"

Based upon your comment you earn your living evaluating coaches, therefore giving your opinion any credence? I doubt it. You have no basis for your statements due to your lack of knowledge about coaching and your lack of information concerning Coach Gill. Go Hawks! Go Coach Gill!

riverdrifter 5 years, 8 months ago

@ Beo: The team quit on Mangino. He's an abusive, odious jerk. He made serious personnel errors. He had not ONE Big XII caliber linebacker on his entire squad last year. He got fired. He came, he had his day and he went away with a pile of money. Period and end of subject. Deal with it. To dump on Gill before he's even had a chance makes you look stupid.

Bob Harvey 5 years, 8 months ago

Beo...although I respect your opinion I have to disagree. I am willing to give Coach Gill all the support he deserves. I lived in Buffalo before moving to Lawrence and trust me when I say their football program was nothing. Most of the area didn't even know Buffalo had a football team.

From what I have heard from old friends back in snow country Coach Gill brought an excitement and positive vibe to the entrie community. If he can bring that sense of pride to Lawrence and make the Hawks team believe in themselves than I am more than willing to say welcome coach, we are glad you are here.

KSAuburnFan 5 years, 8 months ago

I would like to know where you have become an expert of college football coaches. Anyone who knows ANYTHING about college football knows that Coach Gill going and turning Buffalo into a winner is nothing short than amazing. People around here see what Bill Snyder did with KSU, that is what Turner Gill did for Buffalo. Add to that the staff he has put together and the facilities he now has to recruit to, I think he will be successful. You can't begin to argue his staff, Chuck Long and Carl Torbush are 2 of the most accomplished coordinators in college football and the assistants are top notch and since you are such and accomplished coach (as you claim) you should know that the staff you surround yourself with is just as, if not more, important than the head coach. I want to know the "best football coach ever" you are refering to? Could that be Mark Mangino, if so, go back and look at his record in his first 4 years at KU, compared to Turner Gill's record in his first 4 years at Buffalo.

darkagent 5 years, 8 months ago

beo - Glen Mason, can you bring him back too?

Graczyk 5 years, 8 months ago

Wasn't Mangino's daughter enrolled at KU before he got the job? If that is true (and I believe it is), that would seriously undermine your argument and show that you are nothing but an irrational hater. You've been hating on this guy before he even got here. Lay off and wait for on the field results. If he sucks, then you can commence hating. Until the,n you're just a hater without a cause.

KSAuburnFan 5 years, 8 months ago

I am sorry, I didn't know you were on the hiring committee and knew that Perkins didn't consider anyone else. My bad, I didn't realize I was talking with a KUAC employee who knows everything going on with the hiring process of the KU Football team.

I am not saying that Coach Gill will be more or less successful than Coach Mangino, what Coach Mangino did for KU Football was great, but he also had his faults and lost 7 straight games with one of the most heralded teams in KU football history. It isn't like Coach Mangino had KU football as world beaters, he had 1 great year in 2007 and followed that up with a 5 loss season and a 7 loss season. I am not saying Coach Gill will be successful, not saying he won't, but I am saying that I am willing to give him a chance. So far he has attracted some great recruits and a wonderful staff. How about we have this discussion in 3 years and see where Coach Gill and his staff have KU Football.

KSAuburnFan 5 years, 8 months ago

Another thing Beo--I am still curious as to who the best coach ever is that you are refering to. Pepper Rogers, truth be told he is probably the best Coach ever at KU and he has been gone for over 40 years.

Graczyk 5 years, 8 months ago

Gill may fail. But that's why they play the games. I hope he succeeds because I want KU football to become a respected program, even if it's not a national power. (Like that's going to happen any time soon.) I feel like we took two steps forward and one step back with Mangino.

BLITZED 5 years, 8 months ago

Is this a package deal? Can we have Perry Ellis too... please?