Archive for Saturday, March 27, 2010

It’s time to back the ’Cats

Kansas State head basketball coach Frank Martin yells at forward Curtis Kelly (24) during the first half of an NCAA second-round college basketball game against BYU, Saturday, March 20, 2010, in Oklahoma City.

March 27, 2010

The beauty of sports is that you and only you decide which teams to root for when watching a game. Even so, it comes as a surprise that some television sets in Lawrence seem to be turned on for the sole purpose of rooting against Kansas State.

The lamest of excuses for such behavior: Kansas State fans rooted against Kansas in Oklahoma City in its surprising loss to Northern Iowa. So? Since when do Kansas fans take their lead on how to behave from people who wear purple and plaster their cars with Powercat logos?

Talk about an easy bandwagon to join. Such a lovable team, such a candid coach, such an exciting backcourt. Plus, the Wildcats have played in the two most exciting games of the 2009-2010 college basketball season. In the first, played in Manhattan, the ’Cats lost to Kansas, 81-79, when Sherron Collins bounced back from back spasms to lead KU to its first of three victories against its in-state rival. In two of those three games, Kansas State proved itself an ultra-intense, hard-working pack that did everything it could to stick with Kansas.

The overtime game in Manhattan, attractively flawed with mistakes made on both sides, seemed like a yawner compared to K-State’s double-overtime survival Thursday night against a Xavier team that kept expanding its range and couldn’t miss.

K-State senior guard Denis Clemente was so jacked afterward he said at Friday’s presser he couldn’t get to sleep until 3 a.m. and even then only for a bit.

“I (kept) waking up,” Clemente said. “Just can’t believe where we’re at right now. I opened my eyes, say, ‘That’s for real, what I’m doing right now.’ And I kept waking every 15 minutes, just relive the moment.”

Clemente, from Puerto Rico, communicates with coach Frank Martin, the son of Cuban immigrants, in Spanish. Martin’s eyes speak the universal language, one more profane than anything that ever has come out of his mouth. The glare works. So does the acidic tongue, self-censored during the portion of Martin’s halftime talk Thursday that was filmed. It was hilarious watching Martin shout in measured tones, an approach he needed to take so as not to get CBS fined by the FCC.

Clemente and Pullen have given the glare a rest. They’ve combined to average 46 points during the NCAA tourney, have made 25 of 26 free throws and have had 22 assists against nine turnovers.

Competing in the high altitude of Salt Lake City two days after playing an emotional 50-minute game won’t be easy against Butler — tired legs could cheat Pullen and Clemente of their three-point touches — but K-State never craves easy.

The ’Cats’ best shot at a national title lies with someone upsetting Kentucky before it advances to the title game. DeMarcus Cousins would eat up K-State’s big men. Other than Kentucky though, there isn’t a team remaining that should be considered a heavy favorite against KSU. (By the way, even detractors must admit, the Wabash is one catchy tune).

Should K-State reach the title, West Virginia, coached by former Martin boss Bob Huggins, would make for the most dramatic opponent. Nobody’s saying we should dye the river purple, but by then, here’s hoping all of Lawrence is backing the ’Cats.

Comments

Steven Gaudreau 4 years ago

Crazy how KSU was in total control and unflappable while Xavier rained 35 footers on them to go into overtime twice and then look much like KU did vs N. Iowa in their next game, not running plays and taking bad shots against Butler. Go Baylor!!

BruceWayne 4 years ago

Passion? Frank Martin is a control freak abuser. Many coaches have been fired for much less . Just because Keegs cheers for them, (and always has) any TRUE Jayhawk fan knows better.

purplesage 4 years ago

Great seasons that ended too soon, KU and KSU. Go Baylor Bears!

puddleglum 4 years ago

something bout ksu?

dang, joined the thread too late.

Benjamin Roberts 4 years ago

Never mind, too late. : - (

CHEEZIT 4 years ago

Here kitty! kitty! kitty!

Gabe Hoffman 4 years ago

CLARKKENT----

Yes. That's why were, as they often are, the tables turned, K-State fans would be rooting for whoever plays us.

Example: Northern Iowa last week. K-State fans cheering at the arena.

Phog67 4 years ago

I'm a KU grad with fierce loyalty to my school. I also realize supporting other teams from Kansas first and the Big 12 second is the right thing to do.

Go Wildcats!!!

Go Bears!!!

Congrats to the ESU women's team for winning the NCAA Div. II Championship!!!

(I will never support Duke. I'm still not over the 1991 loss to them in the championship game.)

lawrenceguy40 4 years ago

Walk out on your team, walk out on your kids. No difference to jonas.....

lawrenceguy40 4 years ago

It is nice you didn't forget me for most of my life!

jonas_opines 4 years ago

"you should know all about lacking self respect!"

Too true. I've talked to you enough to get a good feel for it.

Steve Jacob 4 years ago

Even if KSU loses to Kentucky in the finals, they will get the trophy years later, after they void Calipari final four team for the THIRD time.

xdisciple 4 years ago

How stupid can people be when they always assume the most extreme fans (or members of other political parties, religions, creeds, etc) are representative of the entirety of the other group? I don't know how many KU fans I've met who deride K-State for being small, rural, and agricultural-- and doing so with their mouths full, no less. I'm sure farm folk could get by far easier without doctors and lawyers than doctors and lawyers could get along without farm folk. Does this mean I believe all KU fans think thusly? Do we not wave the wheat? Do we not chant about chalk rocks, the formations of whcih are located far away from Lawrence in what can only be described as K-State heartland?

I'll be cheering for the Cats today and as far as they go. Big XII all the way. I have family members who have graduated from both schools, and still have nephews and nieces attending both schools. You KU fans complaining about getting heckled by the dregs of the KSU fanbase are probably the very KU fans who do the same thing to them-- thus you are screaming at and hating your mirror image.

Think about it.

Go Wildcats Represent

sustainabilitysister 4 years ago

Go Big 12!!!! Good luck to the Wildcats today.

lawrenceguy40 4 years ago

jonas - you should know all about lacking self respect!

jonas_opines 4 years ago

Desperate for attention, lawrenceguy?

Here's a belly rub for you. Good boy.

thebcman 4 years ago

Go Butler! Go Baylor!

CLARKKENT 4 years ago

00JESTER---

AND SOME OF THE KU FANS ARE NOT VILE??????????????

jimjones 4 years ago

hmmm, what I had in <> disappeared

I'll rephrase: BTW, "Bring on (insert other team's name here) " makes more sense that bring on themselves.

jimjones 4 years ago

I think it's hilarious how K-state is always searching...searching for an identity, a slogan, something that they can call their own or a name. I see billboards on I-70 that say, Everyman a wildcat & Bring on the cats. I see them try a blackout at Bramlage and try to name it the Octagon of doom, Try winning instead of compensating with bad marketing.

BTW, "Bring on " makes more sense that bring on themselves.

I do think K-state has one thing KU lacks. Being hungrier. They have a coach who hasn't been there and wants it bad. Talent isn't everything. (Yes, I'm talking to you, Bill Self)

lawrenceguy40 4 years ago

It's time to lose self. Have you all no self respect? You are pathetic, supporting a coach that leaves you supporting K-State. Sycophantic sheeple.....

pizzapete 4 years ago

I'm all for supporting K-State. It's not like they're Misszoo or something. Good to see them represeting the big 12. Go Cats.

gram77 4 years ago

To Uhjh: I'm heckled by KU fans everytime I go to a KSU/KU sporting event. KU has their fair of idiot fans too so please don't act like it is one sided. I remember when Darren Sproles lost his mother to cancer and KU fans were heckling his family, they actually made a point to walk over to where they were sitting at the KU stadium! That was more then poor sportsmanship, that was just plain mean and cruel!! So please don't think KSU fans are the only ones. There is poor sportsmanship in every college and every sports team around and that includes KU!!!!!!!!! With that said I hope KSU goes all the way!!!!!

Gabe Hoffman 4 years ago

Just because they are in the same state, and share our name, does not mean we all the sudden should cheer for them. K-State fans have been some of the most vile fans I've met in this town, and drool at the chance to bask in our failure. So now, I won't cheer for K-State.

And by your logic, UNC fans should be cheering for Duke right?

myvoice 4 years ago

I am a HUGE KU fan. That said, some of the people I see weekly are KSU alumni, and we all have a great time together! We just each say we are for anyone from the STATE of Kansas, and ONLY for our own teams when they are playing. So since KU is no longer in it now, I hope that KSU goes all the way because I feel that Kansas, the state is the most important representation of all. Since I live in Lawrence, I am KU all the way, even though I went to Texas A & M for college many many years ago. As for those fans on both sides that think that rudeness is okay, I think that they will learn that the world is a much bigger place and we need to get along with each other. Look at the BIG PICTURE here and see that there is more to life. WE DO NOT NEED TO GET DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL or we end up just the same. KU FANS ARE BETTER THAN THAT!

MacHeath 4 years ago

You can't fault the KSU fans for being pumped. I believe this is the first time they have gotten this far...AND we beat them 3 times! Hell, I would be pumped too! We deserve to have our noses rubbed in it some. More power to 'em. I hope they take the whole thing! Martin is a great coach, so is Self.

Poser-knowledge, phoules, and self-rightrighteness live unprecedented.

Darwin bless Barry's bunched knickers.

ilovelucy 4 years ago

Self and Martin are equally good for different reasons. You can't fairly compare the two, but should celebrate their styles side by side. I'm looking forward to hearing Self's commentary on the upcoming games!

riverdrifter 4 years ago

Martin is not a better coach than Self. And HELL no, I will not root for the team from Manhattan.

Graczyk 4 years ago

I tried to root for KSU against Xavier, but I just couldn't do it. They are a great team though and I won't be upset if they win. I just can't cheer for them.

Uhjh 4 years ago

Just can't root for the cats, the fans are rapidly becoming Mizzouized. I was heckled by KSU fans in OKC spewing pure hatred as were most KU fans I talked to. The coach and players have displayed such sportsmanship and simply do not need it spoiled by the fans.

jonas_opines 4 years ago

"I am curious to see how long Martin can maintain that kind of energy level without having problems with his health and his players in the future."

His health might be a concern, I bet he practically has a tums iv. But his players seem to love him. The impressions that they do of him (they show the clip at least once every other game it seems) are pretty priceless, especially Pullen's.

I think at this point my algorithm looks something like this:

Baylor, if not then K-State, if not then Tennessee, if not then Michigan State, if not then West Virginia, if not then Butler, if not then nobody.

I will not root for either Kentucky or Duke.

sundancewierdo 4 years ago

I'm a die hard KU fan who roots for the big 12. More respect for our conference means more respect for our team no mater who you root for. Go Big 12!

jayhawklawrence 4 years ago

I really don't like Kentucky. Never have and never will.

Whoever takes them out will be my favorite team.

jayhawklawrence 4 years ago

Martin is not a better coach than Self.

I am curious to see how long Martin can maintain that kind of energy level without having problems with his health and his players in the future. We shall see.

I am happy for him though and I am rooting for K-State because other than Baylor, it is the only thing left to root for...and maybe Duke.

edjayhawk 4 years ago

barrypenders (anonymous) says… Martin is a better coach than Self.

Stick with something you think you know-politics

Military-Government-Industrial Complex live unprecedented Ike bless us all

davidsmom 4 years ago

I am definitely rooting for K-State, and I am rooting just as hard for Baylor.

davidsmom 4 years ago

I am definitely rooting for K-State, and I am rooting just as hard for Baylor.

somebodynew 4 years ago

If not KU, then Baylor !!!! Go Bears.

Richard Heckler 4 years ago

Self is the coach. He must accept responsibility. The team was following his lead. The team owes this community no apologies. Just play basketball and enjoy yourselves.

Northern Iowa lost last night to Michigan State so Izzo and his team move forward. Northern Iowa is a good hard playing team. What a lot energy. I enjoyed watching them play. The nation now knows about Northern Iowa who too had parents that did not miss one game according to commentators. This game was close from start to finish.

Hey nothing wrong with supporting the Flinty Hills boys. The Flint Hills are absolutely gorgeous. This K State team is a good shooting team and fun to watch. My other three favorites among four,KU, Maryland and Gonzaga, lost out so now looking toward the beautiful Flint Hills.

Steve Jacob 4 years ago

Things have for sure opened up for KSU. With UK, Duke, and WV on the other side of the bracket, KSU can make the title game. Butler in my opinion will give KSU a tougher game then the Michigan St./Tenn winner.

Jock Navels 4 years ago

If not KU, then K State. Go 'Cats. Martin is not a better coach than Self.

barrypenders 4 years ago

Martin is a better coach than Self. Martin has 'Passion' for his players and their personal futures. He instills the technique of taking 'Personal Responsibility' for oneself in the students he trains. He is ready to win it all this year. It would be a terrific accomplishment for Martin.

Stimulus, Responsible Guy, and Posercare live unprecedented

Darwin bless us all

quik 4 years ago

No need for KU fans to jump on the bandwagon but let K-State have their day. If you're out at one of the sports bars today don't suddenly become the world's biggest Butler fan for two hours.