Archive for Friday, March 26, 2010

Obama appoints KU grad to federal appeals court

March 26, 2010

President Barack Obama has nominated Kansas University law school graduate Mary H. Murguia to fill a vacancy on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.

Murguia is currently serving as an Arizona district judge, and became the first Latina to serve on the federal bench for the District of Arizona when President Bill Clinton appointed her to that position in 2000.

Murguia graduated from KU law school in 1985, and received bachelor’s degrees in Spanish and journalism from KU in 1982.

She is a former state and federal prosecutor and is the twin sister of Janet Murguia, president and chief executive officer of La Raza, a Latino civil rights and advocacy organization. Janet Murguia also earned a KU law degree and served as KU’s executive vice chancellor for university relations before accepting her current position.

Comments

poppygirl 4 years, 9 months ago

this was the next best thing to do after KU messed up his bracket !!

ksjayhawk74 4 years, 9 months ago

Yea, and Northern Iowa University shouldn't hold their breath for any favors from Obama.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 9 months ago

Wonder what the pay-to-play was for that?

Kent Kossoy 4 years, 9 months ago

Between KU losing so dramatically in round two, Sebelius going to Washington's Obamarama, and now this, I am beginning to feel embarrassed that I graduated from The University of Kansas.

Confrontation 4 years, 9 months ago

Actually, kik1958, I think that KU should be the one who is embarrassed for letting someone like you graduate.

ksjayhawk74 4 years, 8 months ago

@ Lawrenceguy

Lawrence & KU should be embarrassed about any association to you. You call yourself a "Lawrence guy" but disparage Kansas University?!?!?

lawrencefan 4 years, 8 months ago

I'm embarrassed to share a name with lawrenceguy40.

barry_penders 4 years, 8 months ago

I'm embarrassed of myself and all of my previous incoherent ramblings.

I love America.

Annoying twerp, lack of intelligence, and repetitive crap live unprecedented

Darwin bless me

RiverCityConservative 4 years, 8 months ago

This is the best U.S. President so far in my lifetime of 52 years. And it is great that some of the best minds from Kansas and KU are moving up into positions of authority during his administration. The rightwing soggy teabaggers will be singing a very different tune when all their wild eyed rhetoric fails to convince an electorate, Republican and Democratic, that is far sharper than the Republicans give them credit for. I predict even bigger majorities for the Democrats this fall as they roar back, prodded into action by President Obama. Yes we can.

Reuben Turner 4 years, 8 months ago

y'all give the lady a chance. she ain't did nothing yet to judge.