Archive for Thursday, March 25, 2010

Dealership works to keep Chevys

Crown automotive in negotiations with GM to keep franchise

General Motors told Crown Chevrolet it must close as part of the company's bankruptcy plan, but the deal is in the process of being reinstated.

March 25, 2010

Lawrence’s Chevrolet dealership is in negotiations to remain open, despite previously being placed on a list of dealerships that would lose its franchise as part of General Motors’ bankruptcy reorganization.

“We’re in the category that has been called to say that we’re in the process of being reinstated through a negotiation situation,” said Miles Schnaer, president of Crown Chevrolet. “My attorney and their attorney are talking daily.”

But Schnaer said a deal has not yet been reached.

Earlier this month, about 660 GM dealers, who previously had been told they would have to close, reportedly received letters from General Motors that they may be allowed to remain open. Other dealers are working to stay open by filing for arbitration.

Schnaer said he had signed a confidentiality agreement with General Motors that prohibited him from discussing in detail the process that he is going through.

Schnaer operates both Crown Chevrolet and Crown Toyota at 3400 S. Iowa.

“Our presence in Lawrence is sound, and it is going forward,” Schnaer said. “We’re in business now and will continue to be here with Crown Toyota for sure, and my expectations are that Crown Chevrolet will be here, too.”

Schnaer said he didn’t have a definite timetable on when the matter with GM would be resolved. General Motors last year notified about 2,000 dealerships their franchise agreements would not be renewed. Most of those franchise agreements expire in October.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Comments

timetospeakup 5 years ago

No mercy for these guys - the sales manager at crown chevy gave me the runaround when I tried to use their published discount program for state employees. If they can't honor an offer that simple, I don't trust them.

Kent Fisher 5 years ago

Be careful what you believe...Crown issued misinformation when they were initially terminated last year, too. They are far from being reinstated. GM's business model doesn't look kindly upon GM franchises that are dualled with Toyota.

hip_gma 5 years ago

timetospeakup: what's the discount program for state employees? Where is it published?

mdrndgtl 5 years ago

I'm looking for an unusually fast Toyota.

farva 5 years ago

love2fish_ks 5 years ago

Been a GM man most of my life. Next one will be a Ford.

I'm not sure which is worse....the dealer or Government Motors.

Totally sickening.

Jayson Hawk 5 years ago

Has anyone heard if Jim Clark is going to try to get the Chrysler franchse back?

Kyle Miller 5 years ago

I'm a diehard GM fan, and will only drive GM trucks! I will have to say that the "guys" behind the parts counter at Crown Chevy have to be some of the most rude people I have ever dealt with. You go in there to get something, and there is always 3-4 guys standing around bs'ing with each other, and totally ignore the fact that there is a "customer" there. Then... as if its a BIG deal to take a break from that, one will come over and in a VERY rude manner ask what you need!!! I will from now on drive to KC or Topeka for parts, if not purchased over the internet!!

somedude20 5 years ago

I have always had good luck buying cars (hubs, radios, parts, ect) from Stan and Vinnie. The deal in the alley behind Quinton's and for some reason the prices seem like a steal

hip_gma 5 years ago

Sorry to read such negative comments about Crown. We've bought a few vehicles from them over the years and always had a positive experience. Maybe you all need to deal with Zac Swearingen.

jennsc01 5 years ago

The people complaining about Crown here must not be talking to the same people I know. I have had some problems with the parts and service department in Chevy as well, but I have had much worse experiences at other GM Dealers. As for the sales department, I think they are the most honest you will find. I guess some people dont like being told no, when they try to lie and cheat the salesperson they work with. I have worked as salesperson, and I know the customers lie 10 times more the sales people.

2shtz4u 5 years ago

I have to agree with Defender,My Husband and I bought a vehicle there in 2003 worst mistake and the auto shop it's a joke!

timetospeakup 5 years ago

hip_gma - at the time it was $500 over invoice. But they lied to me about invoice by about $2500. So I went to another dealer, identical truck, he matched the $500 over invoice and even gave me the legit invoice price. not sure what if anything they are doing now - I refuse to look it up, I'm not going to any effort to help someone spend money with crown

localinlawrence 5 years ago

I have purchased 2 cars from Crown and had a positive experience each time. Currently I have a car in the shop at Crown and their service department has been extremely helpful. I have purchased several cars in my lifetime and they are by far the best dealership I have worked with. Let's be honest if we really wanted we could find a complaint about any dealership let alone any business across Lawrence and beyond. I will continue to purchase cars from Crown as well as have my car serviced.

Take_a_letter_Maria 5 years ago

I purchased a Corolla there a few years back. At 3,000 miles I took it in for an oil change. When I went back to pick it up, they informed me that it was unsafe to drive and they wouldn't release it to me without them doing additional work - to the tune of over $1,000.

I first wanted to know what could possibly go that wrong within the first 3k of mileage, and second why something that bad wouldn't be covered under the factory warranty. The backpedalling started, but they still wouldn't release the car for me to drive so I asked for their diagnostic printout and called a friend who was tow truck driver. He brought over his roll-off unit, we loaded up the car and took it to the Topeka Toyota dealer who found absolutely nothing wrong with the car. We then gave the Topeka dealership a copy of the printout and they said there was no way it came off of my Corolla.

kjo_shorty 5 years ago

All of these negative complaints need to be directed to GM. I highly doubt they would want to keep a location open that has such a bad reputation. Thing is, unless you bring it to their attention, they will never know. I also refuse to do business with Crown, and yes, I have complained to GM.

FieldTested 5 years ago

My experiences with Crown have been positive. I've bought a Toyota for my mom there, and had my GM truck serviced there numerous times. Not many people enjoy their time with a car dealer, but Crown seems better than many.

mkansas 5 years ago

I agree with the last part of Made_in_China's comment. Many business owners have no idea there is an issue with a specific customer because rather than addressing it directly, people enjoy spending time complaining to others. I'm not sure that's the best way to get the desired result.

BigPrune 5 years ago

I'm thinking Crown must have donated money to the Democratic National Committee so they are in new negotiations. Just like 92% of the Chrysler dealers were closed who donated money to Republicans, about 8 % donated to Hillary Clinton's campaign and only 1 dealer nationwide was closed that donated to Obama's campaign (but it's okay, it was only $450). Of course Clinton's Chief of Staff and the BET's founder's Chrysler dealerships group remained open regardless of performance, big Obama contributors.

Stuart Evans 5 years ago

I know that Chrysler can kiss the brownest part of my azz! After purchasing their extended service coverage on a used vehicle to satisfy my banking institution, they up and close. Now in order to have anything looked at, I have to drive 30 miles to Topeka or Olathe and wait around all day.

At least if Chevy goes down, the GM dealership should be able to honor their service coverage.

John Hamm 5 years ago

This is the same dealer when I went in to inquire about buying a new (a few years ago) Tracker convertible the salesperson said, "I don't know if they still make those." And of course at that time they did.