Archive for Sunday, March 21, 2010

Police: Boy made racial comment on intercom

March 21, 2010

— A 16-year-old boy who police said made an announcement at Walmart ordering all black people in a southern New Jersey store to leave was charged with harassment and bias intimidation, authorities said Saturday.

The boy, whose name is not being released because he is a juvenile, grabbed one of the courtesy phones at Walmart’s Washington Township store Sunday evening and calmly announced: “Attention, Walmart customers: All black people, leave the store now,” police said.

The teen was arrested Friday and released to the custody of his parents; police did not know whether he had a lawyer.

“This was an extremely disturbing event on many levels,” Gloucester County Prosecutor Sean Dalton said at a news conference. “Any statements like these that can cause harm or grave concern must be addressed as quickly as we possibly can.”

Comments

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years ago

"A 16-year-old boy"

Was that you, Barry? Your remarks tend to the infantile, but maybe you're really just developmentally disabled.

frank mcguinness 5 years ago

I'll bet anything he comes from a republican family.

Liberty275 5 years ago

In the right context, "boy" makes a pretty good racial slur. Be careful LJW, they might come for you next!!

In all seriousness, until people stop playing victims or allowing others to define them, we'll just keep banning words and watering down our language. It's pretty sickening. I defer to the editorial staff at the LJW for the privileged of posting on their forum, but in other venues I refuse to be told what words I can and can't say. Thankfully, their are still isolated outposts of absolute free speech.

standuporget 5 years ago

I'm black and I think they overreacted.

standuporget 5 years ago

I'm not a conservative I watch Fox I don't call Obama Barry I'm Catholic and I live in Overland Park. so you were close but no cigar oh yea I'm Black

(laughter) silly rabbit

standuporget 5 years ago

see we are all the same not individuals that's why i don't care for people like that racist porch_ person

ku12345 5 years ago

get over yourselves. some people think that it was offensive and others don't. If I recall I believe everyone has a right to their own opinion, no need to get at each others throats for it. At 16 you are more than capable to determine what is right and what is wrong. If it were my kid, he wouldn't have a very happy life after this publicity stunt.

standuporget 5 years ago

I lived in Fort Leavenworth thirty years ago.

you don't understand anything you read do you?

"beatrice, If you would have spent more time learning about the person you were voting for then looking for trash on the person you were voting against you would know who Barry is "

someone called him Barry and Beatrice said who's Barry or something like that.

(laughter)

all blacks are democrats you've got some screws loose in that thick head of yours

lindsaydoyle 5 years ago

The mainstream media reports on items like this all day every day yet it will not inform us about things of real importance.

lindsaydoyle 5 years ago

I wish the LJW would start getting its news from legitimate sources instead of USAToday.

denak 5 years ago

I'm actually with MCHeath and Oak, on this one.

I think this was just a stupid teenager who saw an opporunity to show off for his friends, and impulsively did and said something he might otherwise not have done.

My son was 18 only a few years ago and most of the time, I didn't think he or his friends had a lick of sense.

And truthfully, I am 41 and there has been times when I wanted to grab that mic. and say something stupid over the intercom.

Dena

Linda Endicott 5 years ago

Not something THAT stupid I hope, Dena...

Playing around? Just goofing off? Possibly...but don't think that high school kids don't know when they're saying something hurtful to or about somebody else...they know, and yet they do it all the time anyway...that's why we have such a huge problem with bullying in America's schools anymore...

And personally, I don't think it was a harmless prank or comment...because he was probably spouting words and beliefs he'd learned at home...and perhaps his father thinks this was just too cute for words...

And as long as we still have people who think this way, even if they claim they were just "joking", then we still have a major problem with racism in America...

beatrice 5 years ago

He was a kid acting like a kid ... likely raised in a Republican household.

I know this, because us elite Democrats don't shop at Wal-Mart, remember?

And to those arguing things from the pre-election, when I asked "who is Barry?", I was being sarcastic. Barack hasn't gone by "Barry" since he was a teen. I was pointing out the level of disrespect people have for one another. Even when you make it very clear, sometimes people still don't pick up on sarcasm on these boards. I count standup in that category.

However, nice to see standup is as conservative and as angry as ever. (not being sarcastic, by the way)

standuporget 5 years ago

I knew what you were doing Beatrice and I was being a A-Hole because of that. Sorry I don't fit your mold Porch but there are blacks living in Fort Leavenworth. I was born in Louisiana and there are a lot of Black Catholics down there. But you knew that.

according to Porch, none in Overland Park

(laughter)

Porch-Person sees what he wants to see and can assume your race 40 miles away

Liberty275 5 years ago

"who doesn't see anything wrong with telling "black folks" to get out of a Wal Mart because they're black."

At most it's a civil case between walmart and the "boy". Nothing I've read that the "boy" said is outside the realm of free speech when it comes to criminal law.

Don't you just hate that pesky bill of rights and especially that screwy first amendment, porchi laughter?

I'll let your imagination run wild over whether I personally think there is anything wrong with what he did.

Protip: Whatever you think about my personal opinion will probably be right.

standuporget 5 years ago

It was a kid you moron, not a employee, people were blaming Wal-Mart. They overreacted. I hope you're not so stupid that you don't see what I was getting at.

(laughter)

HELP!!!!!!!! Porch has ME in a Box and I Can't Get OUT.

(laughter)

RKLOG 5 years ago

Tar and feather the little bugger. It will teach New Jersey youths a thing or two about public announcements and shopping at Walmart.

Dog hats and southern bells surprise a feeble cake: your moment of Zen.

barrypenders bless us all.

standuporget 5 years ago

porch, " people WERE BLAMING Wal-Mart" (before the arrest.) What does were mean? Did it sink in that time? You're a strange person. (no laughter this time)

standuporget 5 years ago

Oops save you the trouble porch - Did it sink in THIS time?

denak 5 years ago

crazyks,

I think it is a little premature to label this kid or his parents racists. Unfortunately, as a parent of a teenager, sometimes they will do and say things that are contrary to what you teach them. And peer pressure or the need to be "cool" in the eyes of your friends, can sometimes, override a teenager's best judgment.

Yes, there is a problem with racism in this country. I don't think anyone denies that. (ok, other than those who watch Bill O'Reilly) but before we tar and feather this kid, why don't we find out what his intent and motives were for doing what he did.

I don't know if you have kids but I don't think there is one parent out there that hasn't looked at their kid, especially their teenager, and said, 'what the hell were you thinking?" at least a half a dozen times a week.

And lastly, we have to remember that what teenagers find funny, most grownups don't. I told my son and three of his friends about this. All of them are between 16 and 18, and their response was "oh man that's funny" "damn that's f'd up, " "man what a douche" but they all were laughing. And for the record, their races are 2 white kids and 2 bi-racial kids. (half black, half white)

Dena

50YearResident 5 years ago

Gee, I am sitting here wondering how many comments this story would have generated if this kid had said, "Ok, All you white people leave the store, now"! Anyone want to make a guess?

lindsaydoyle 5 years ago

It is typical of the mainstream media to take an isolated incident of what may be racism and blow it all out of proportion as if it is a real problem. In the meantime, look at all of what is going on that is never reported. You would never know unless you get your info from legitimate (non-mainstream media) sources

Mel Briscoe 5 years ago

i think the kid was just being a little ass, like 16 year old's are so apt at doing. doesn't mean he is racist or from a racist family. he could've said "all n**ers leave the store" but he didn't. like i said, i think he was just aiming to stir up some sht and he definitely did just that! i think the whole thing is hella funny! i'm glad it happened in a walmart.

ferrislives 5 years ago

standuporget, I do blame Walmart for something, and that is that they've always left their PA systems open for this sort of abuse to eventually happen.

I don't know how many times I've passed a phone connected to their PA system while thinking about how easy it would be for anyone to announce anything.

This event ended up being done a stupid ignorant teenager, but what if someone made a grave threat like a bomb threat? Could you imagine what would happen in that store? People, especially children, could get trampled because they're worried about getting blown up. Would that be funny? I don't think so.

Walmart and similar stores need to make all of their PA systems secure so that these sorts of things don't happen.

Mel Briscoe 5 years ago

"There isn't a 16 year old boy, in the world, no matter the color of his skin, that isn't perfectly capable of doing something impulsive, and stupid at the drop of a hat."

truer words could not be said.....

Mel Briscoe 5 years ago

vert, you beat me to it! i was about to say the same thing.

monheim 5 years ago

The kid should be punished for abusing the intercom system. Nothing more. It's not illegal to be a racist idiot.

beatrice 5 years ago

Sad thing is, the kid was only partially correct. ALL people should leave Wal-Mart immediately, and never return.

puddleglum 5 years ago

you said it beatrice.

I thought it was funny, course I am white.

what if the kid that said it were black? then is it funny?

wal-mart is stupid, and everyone shopping there should be made fun of .

if you shop at wal-mart and are reading this, you are excluded of course.

RoeDapple 5 years ago

Meanwhile, Walmart has announced it will reduce prices on over 11,000 items, mostly grocery, in the near future. Guess I will have to shop in the very early morning hours to avoid the crowds.