Archive for Saturday, March 20, 2010

Topless gardener complaints prompt new rules

March 20, 2010

— A woman gardening wearing only a yellow thong and pink gloves has brought neighborhood complaints and new rules from a housing authority in Colorado.

Boulder Housing Partners plans to amend its rules so that tenants cover up when they’re outside. Several passers-by told Boulder police earlier this week that 52-year-old Catharine Pierce was topless while tending to her yard. Last year, she was threatened with eviction for gardening wearing only pasties and a thong.

Police responding to reports Wednesday decided Pierce wasn’t breaking any laws.

“They’re making a big mistake,” he said.

Boulder Housing Partners Executive Director Betsey Martens didn’t return a phone call Friday seeking details on how covered residents would have to be.

She told the Daily Camera newspaper that people have complained for years about the couple often going outside wearing only thong underwear.

Robert Pierce said the new rules wouldn’t discourage the couple. “We’ll stay the way we have to stay,” he said.

The City Council is scheduled in April to consider expanding the city’s anti-nudity ordinance, but a draft proposal to make it an offense for women to go topless in public was removed.

Comments

LadyJ 5 years, 2 months ago

It must be warmer in Colorado than it is here.

LadyJ 5 years, 2 months ago

Wonder what the Lawrence City Commission would do?

Richard Heckler 5 years, 2 months ago

Topless in one's own yard/garden is obscene? How so?

Seems to me some neighbors need blinders or perhaps train themselves to look the other way....

labmonkey 5 years, 2 months ago

Topless gardening....at first I was going to ask what the problem was, then I read she was 52. Put some clothes on.

Richard Heckler 5 years, 2 months ago

What does age have to do with it? Topless is topless.....

Obviously the hubby likes it.

Stuart Evans 5 years, 2 months ago

it's usually the ultra conservatives that tend to have a problem with nudity, which is in complete contradiction to "the Lord's" plan. If we were meant to wear clothes, we would be born that way. I'm sure this is a "think of the children" scenario. I think that if kids grow up around it and nudity isn't correlated to sex, the children should grow up quite well adjusted. Only the church could put so much shame and perversion into a naked body.

LadyJ 5 years, 2 months ago

Ok, no jokes about merrill and "pasties".

classclown 5 years, 2 months ago

Does she dance for the plants? Wonder if she's making good money.

LadyJ 5 years, 2 months ago

"I'm guessing she doesn't raise roses." Ouch, and certainly nothing that would attract bees.

grammaddy 5 years, 2 months ago

If she is 52 and can bring herself to wear a thong and pasties, I say, "You go girlfriend!"

BigPrune 5 years, 2 months ago

It wasn't that she was topless per say. It was what she could tuck in her thong the neighbors found revolting.

LadyJ 5 years, 2 months ago

Hope they don't have any poison ivy. Must be the reason for the thong.

workinghard 5 years, 2 months ago

The one time I might be interested in what merrill would copy and paste, he doesn't.

tollef 5 years, 2 months ago

Yikes 52... I grew up in Boulder, if I still lived their I would definitley keep my garden tool in its shed.

workinghard 5 years, 2 months ago

When my daughter was a teen, all it took was watching a few documentaries on tribes where the women didn't wear clothes, much less bras, to make her a firm believer in bras.

LadyJ 5 years, 2 months ago

"Why bother with the thong?" Maybe she bent over a lot. Had another sentence added on but took it off, don't want to get pinked.

beatrice 5 years, 2 months ago

The place is called "Boulder," after all.

What a hoe.

lawthing 5 years, 2 months ago

Have the neighbors posted any Youtube videos?

BorderRuffian 5 years, 2 months ago

Personally I'm all for it; I think they should bring it to Lawrence. I'm pretty sure it would go over well here, unless, of course, the wearer was homeless or a pan-handler...

classclown 5 years, 2 months ago

I wonder if the topless gardener blogs about it. That could make for some interesting reading.

classclown 5 years, 2 months ago

Looking at other sources on the web I found this tidbit:

A couple of nudists claim their landlord is wrongly discriminating by trying to get them to cover up while gardening. Robert and Catharine Pierce have been accused by their landlord of being a nuisance by gardening wearing only thong underwear, plus pasties for Catharine Pierce. Neighbors complained to police about the Pierces’ scanty clothing. But police say the Pierces are not violating the law as long as their genitals are covered.

++++++++++

It's not just her doing it, but he gardens wearing a thong too.

LadyJ 5 years, 2 months ago

I guarantee if women here were gardening naked, the neighboring wifes would have no trouble getting their husbands to do yard work for once.

notajayhawk 5 years, 2 months ago

AreUNorml (anonymous) says…

"it's usually the ultra conservatives that tend to have a problem with nudity"

Think there are a lot of "ultra conservatives" in Boulder, Co.?

50YearResident 5 years, 2 months ago

I heard it makes planting radishes very quick and easy. One trip down on hands and knees makes 2 furrows. throw in the seeds and cover by dragging both feet and it's done by the time you get to the end.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 5 years, 2 months ago

AreUNorml doesn't have children. I'm sure of that. Not that he's actually caring for on a daily basis.

verity 5 years, 2 months ago

On a more serious note---although it's hard to be serious about this matter---while I have no moral problem with nudity, there are some things I just don't want to see. This unfortunately is one of those times when rules will probably be made because two people refuse to be considerate of their neighbors. I'm not making a judgment on whether the neighbors should be upset, but they are and it would be a simple matter to solve.

Quite frankly, a lot of times I've seen men without shirts, or shirts that don't meet with the pants, that caused me to want to erase my brain---or one leaning over---oh, the inhumanity of that view.

That said, a mountain is being made out of a ----??

verity 5 years, 2 months ago

The second photo isn't identified, but it looks like the same person as in the first photo.

It also looks like there is a privacy fence. Are the neighbors peering through knotholes?

LadyJ 5 years, 2 months ago

Some comments from the newspaper link above

cmalco40 wrote: I see nothing wrong with gardening topless! I think all women over 50 should go braless or topless,it pulls the wrinkles out of their face.

tjstocker wrote: At 52 she probably cuts a couple furrows when she bends over.

Seth Peterson 5 years, 2 months ago

When another culture tells its women what they can and cannot wear and how much of their body should be covered according to decency we speak of it as an attack on equality.

I hope they don't change anything and the people be.

LadyJ 5 years, 2 months ago

More in depth article from Boulder. I notice they do the same thing in the comment section as the Austin paper. You can reply to the reply which is kept separate from the blog. Then you click to see the replies.

Comments from the Boulder paper 52 yr old sag bags?

I'll have to look at the evidence, before I decide if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

I've seen these two when they were staying at Boulder Shelter for the Homeless. It's likely that they've been evicted from subsidized housing many times, for various forms of misbehavior besides partial nudity. MORAL OF THE STORY -- If you want to give society the finger by any means, including partial nudity, you need to be paying your own way and not living by the generosity of Boulder Housing Partners or Boulder County Housing Authority or any other taxpayer-funded agency. I.e., these two are a couple of exhibitionist phonies.

This last comment got 24 replies which is where all the fighting takes place

50YearResident 5 years, 2 months ago

I also heard no one complained until she started planting her potatoes that way.

LadyJ 5 years, 2 months ago

While playing around on the Boulder newspaper website, one of the taps at the top said "Buffzone". Man, was I disappointed when it turned out to be the sports section.

Tom Miller 5 years, 2 months ago

...ooo, th' things ya see when ya ain' gotcher gun...

George_Braziller 5 years, 2 months ago

So she's gardening in her yard topless. The only people who are really impacted are the immediate neighbors. Better than some of the 250 pound women (and men) I and all the other shoppers have seen at the grocery store wearing ratty sweatpants, a stained t-shirt, and no bra. The look is usually rounded out with greasy hair.

LadyJ 5 years, 2 months ago

George reminded me with his comment about fellow shoppers that I hadn't been back to the PeopleofWalmart site since that whole "you know what" thing. Hilarious new posts, some fit right in with things going on the LJW site lately.

Christine Anderson 5 years, 2 months ago

Hey, what's with you turds who think that just because she's 52, her being topless is gross? I'll have you know there are men out there ( who are also middle-aged) who think middle-aged women are attractive, so there! Pffftttt! I personally do not plan to garden in a partially unclothed condition. I'm afraid someone might inadvertently confuse me with the melons. Or the lopsided tomatoes.

denak 5 years, 2 months ago

Py what a great post. Warm Fuzzies to you.

Since I made soooo much money last night, (my customers just love to see me sit there), I think I am going to go with option number 1.

I was going to go with option 2 but I'm not very fond of the scratch -n-sniff choices.

Well, ttfn, I have to go to work early today so I have to go get cute.

I think I might wear the ratty sweatpants, stained sweatshirt and no bra look that GB likes so much. Needless to say, I ROCK IT!!!

Dena:0)

Liberty275 5 years, 2 months ago

OMG! Women have boobs and some like letting them out in the sun. What is this world coming too?

RoeDapple 5 years, 2 months ago

Should we take a roll of dollars to show our appreciation?

;-)

workinghard 5 years, 2 months ago

My daughter went to spend the day with some friends when she was young, the step-mother was about 50 and evidently a life-long advocate of "Ban the Bra" The woman put on a bikini to take them out to play in the pool. The sight tramautized my daughter so much that for years afterward she would be sitting and then suddenly her whole body would shudder and she would go "eeeeww". You knew without asking she was memembering that sight.

beatrice 5 years, 2 months ago

Py shoots ... Py scores!

I thought for sure the scratch and sniff scent would be "lap of strangers." Plus, you don't even have to bother scratching to get the scent.

Just think, if women everywhere did their gardening and other choirs in the buff on a routine basis, there would probably be bars where men paid to watch women dance fully clothed.

budwhysir 5 years, 2 months ago

may be dangerous everything needs sunshine to grow

Tom Miller 5 years, 2 months ago

I know I'm sorta old, but she actually looks pretty good, and I personally would have no issue with her being MY next door neighbor...heck, she could work in MY yard if she wanted to...LMAO @ those who have problems with the sight of the human form...yer all just jealous of her self-confidence. imho, anyway.

feeble 5 years, 2 months ago

after reading the comments over on the local Boulder online paper, it seems most of the outrage was directed at the fact that these folks are on public housing.

RoeDapple 5 years, 2 months ago

Hey I ran through my yard one night in my boxers trying to catch the dog before he caught a skunk. Just so happened the neighbors pulled out of their driveway in time to catch me with their bright lights. They say they were scarred for life...

And the dog caught the skunk...

bearded_gnome 5 years, 2 months ago

Roe, now that's scarey, did they take the rifle down from the rack in back???

okay, in this locale in Colorado it is legal for a woman to go around without wearing an 'over the shoulder Boulder holder?'
who'd'a thunk it in Boulder!

every year in Santa Cruz there's an organized protest of womyn who march topless, no I don't think they're called the "Uplift Society."

Merrill has promoted Nude Hiking on these threads. apparently that would be Merrill-spambot without thong! blllllllllleckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk!

bearded_gnome 5 years, 2 months ago

3 December 2005 at 4:41 p.m.

Suggest removal

Anonymous

merrill (Anonymous) says…

It seems like the neighborhood has learned to live with the situation[location of Naughty but Nice across from Mass st. Dillans]. So don't make them move. Business will no doubt improve with the new attention…kids will become aware. That part of Mass is so retail. How many gas stations sell rubbers aka Condums? I've never checked these places out but I am becoming evermore curious.

---merrill thinks a lot about nudity.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 2 months ago

1. merrill
    merrill (anonymous) says…

Nude buffs ready for Naked Hiking Day

Updated: Friday, 19 Jun 2009, 11:09 AM EDT Published : Friday, 19 Jun 2009, 11:09 am edt

hagerstown, Md. (AP) - Every year on the first day of summer, a few outdoor enthusiasts nationwide expose virtually all of themselves to insects, scrapes and thorns for the pleasure of bonding with nature au naturel.

They call it Naked Hiking Day.

"There's no way to explain it until you experience it," said Andrew Williams, 28, a machinist from Warren, Pa., who first hiked naked six or seven years ago. "It's not about being lewd and crude and all that. It's just enjoyment."

This year, the summer solstice falls on a weekend -- this Sunday. Father's Day.

Hikers who prefer clothes are not happy.

Rangers and police warn that people caught outdoors in the altogether could be charged with indecent exposure. Managers of the Appalachian Trail, where the tradition is sometimes observed by those trekking from Georgia to Maine, also discourage nudity.

"It's just rude," said Brian King, spokesman for the Appalachian Trail Conservancy in Harpers Ferry, W.Va. "People are out there hiking with their kids and families, and there are Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts."

Law enforcement authorities say they see so few nude hikers, even on Naked Hiking Day, that they don't consider it a big problem.

"It's rare, probably because we have a lot of remote territory out there where one would not be detected," said Capt. Woody Lipps of Virginia's George Washington and Jefferson national forests, which contain parts of the Appalachian Trail.

Ranger Tammy McCorkle, of the state-managed South Mountain Recreation Area in western Maryland, said she hadn't heard of Naked Hiking Day until last year, when visitors reported seeing a group of naked men on the Appalachian Trail. By the time an officer caught up with them, all 10 were clothed; eight received warnings for disorderly conduct after acknowledging they had been nude.

"We're aware it happens on the summer solstice day," McCorkle said. "With through-hikers -- people who hike the trail all in one season -- it's kind of like an unofficial tradition for them."

Nude hiking is a European tradition, too, not that it's any more welcome there. Voters in Appenzell, Switzerland, passed legislation in April banning naked hiking after dozens of mostly German tourists started ambling through their region wearing only hiking boots and socks.

Nude-hiking advocates say they aren't out to startle people.

June 19, 2009 at 3:38 p.m. ( permalink |

Stuart Evans 5 years, 2 months ago

notajayhawk (anonymous) says… Think there are a lot of "ultra conservatives" in Boulder, Co.?

yeah, I do. Are you one of those people that ignorantly believes Colorado is packed plum full of Liberals? With Ted Haggard living it up just down the road in Colorado Springs, I'm pretty sure the Ultra Conservatives have a foothold in CO.

OldEnuf.. what was that supposed to mean about me not having children? Leave it to a loving/caring/moral man of god to make an asinine comment like that.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 2 months ago

Norml, please reload your statement after you learn about Boulder!
Boulder is somewhere far to the left of Lawrence in the political spectrum. that's what Nota's referring to there.

Stuart Evans 5 years, 2 months ago

no thanks.. I'm pretty sure that Boulder is still chalk full of religious nuts

While it may be a mecca for granola-hugging lefties, it's still very much in "gods" hands.

independant1 5 years, 2 months ago

i'm ok with it. conservative independant1 but it'd just give foreign extremists another reason to hate us so hope it don't catch on

independant1 5 years, 2 months ago

and if it can be linked to increased CO2 there are domestic extremists that would certainly take exception

Richard Heckler 5 years, 2 months ago

Hubby and wife seem to be okay with their life style..... the only people that matter.

"Robert Pierce said he’ll fight changes that would keep his wife from gardening outside topless, which is legal under state and city law.

The City Council is scheduled in April to consider expanding the city’s anti-nudity ordinance, (((but a draft proposal to make it an offense for women to go topless in public was removed.))))"

City council is not all that upset either it seems.

"Sun provides Vitamin D. The high rate of natural production of vitamin D3 cholecalciferol (pronounced koh·luh·kal·sif·uh·rawl) in the skin is the single most important fact every person should know about vitamin D—a fact that has profound implications for the natural human condition."

Richard Heckler 5 years, 2 months ago

"Technically not a "vitamin," vitamin D is in a class by itself. Its metabolic product, calcitriol, is actually a secosteroid hormone that targets over 2000 genes (about 10% of the human genome) in the human body. Current research has implicated vitamin D deficiency as a major factor in the pathology of at least 17 varieties of cancer as well as heart disease, stroke, hypertension, autoimmune diseases, diabetes, depression, chronic pain, osteoarthritis, osteoporosis, muscle weakness, muscle wasting, birth defects, periodontal disease, and more.

Vitamin D's influence on key biological functions vital to one's health and well-being mandates that vitamin D no longer be ignored by the health care industry nor by individuals striving to achieve and maintain a greater state of health. Sunshine and Your Health

If well adults and adolescents regularly avoid sunlight exposure, research indicates a necessity to supplement with at least 5,000 units (IU) of vitamin D daily. To obtain this amount from milk one would need to consume 50 glasses. With a multivitamin more than 10 tablets would be necessary. Neither is advisable.

The skin produces approximately 10,000 IU vitamin D in response 20–30 minutes summer sun exposure—50 times more than the US government's recommendation of 200 IU per day!

*How To Get Enough Vitamin D

There are 3 ways for adults to insure adequate levels of vitamin D:

(((((( * regularly receive midday sun exposure in the late spring, summer, and early fall, exposing as much of the skin as possible (being careful to never burn). ))))))))) * regularly use a sun bed (avoiding sunburn) during the colder months. * take 5,000 IU per day for 2–3 months, then obtain a 25-hydroxyvitamin D test. Adjust your dosage so that blood levels are between 50–80 ng/mL (or 125–200 nM/L) year-round"

Richard Heckler 5 years, 2 months ago

independant1 5 years, 2 months ago

I never expected to see the day when girls would get sunburned in the places they do today. Will Rogers

workinghard 5 years, 2 months ago

LOL, just had to poke the bear didn't you Gnome.

Richard Heckler 5 years, 2 months ago

*British office workers go naked to boost morale http://www.truenudists.com/forum/viewthread.php?id=3591

• "Get out into the sun. Not just in the winter, but in the summer too. And skip the sunscreen. Overuse is causing an epidemic of vitamin D deficiency, which leads to depression, weak bones, and cancer. For optimum mental and physical health - and for sustainable energy - humans need 15-30 minutes of unfiltered sunlight every day. You won't make vitamin D in the northern states during the winter, but sunlight still has beneficial effects on the pineal gland, and thus, overall health. Special high-intensity lights are used to help those who deal with winter depression; but natural sunlight is preferable."

*Why Does Sun Make People Happy?

Sunlight is believed to affect the production of Endorphins. These hormones play a role in giving us a sense of "well-being" and happiness. Researchers are also studying the link between lack of sunlight and the affects on melatonin, serotonin and other hormones as well as the lack of sunlight and its affect on the body's circadian rhythms. So, if the lack of sunshine affects these hormones to produce a type of depression, sometimes called Seasonal Affective Disorder, sunshine and the proper exposure to it, would reverse this and allow our bodies to produce these hormones naturally and give use the "happy" feelings. Source(s): There is an article at http://www.hhnews.com/ on Seasonal Affective Disorder

LadyJ 5 years, 2 months ago

merrill's wife will be wonder why there is so much more traffic on their street this spring. We know he has a garden because that is where he puts his snow when he shovels.

Boosh 5 years, 2 months ago

Ludus' (?punctuation?) March 20, 2010 1:05 p.m. post wins teats down :)

LadyJ 5 years, 2 months ago

Ooops, should be 'wondering' not wonder.

independant1 5 years, 2 months ago

I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride my bike. I want to ride it oh so well........

LadyJ 5 years, 2 months ago

Wow, we get to post nude pictures now?

bearded_gnome 5 years, 2 months ago

Workinghard: OMG!!! Merrill forgot to push his naked hiking day I cited him doing before! what I wonder: if you're biking nude, seems like you could get your undercarriage caught in your chain...plus makes for a stinky bike seat!!!!

yes, Workinghard, apparently I really did nudge the bear, didn't I? but note also Merrill says nothing about his thong, what kind, what color? I think in the spirit of the stripper blog we need a contest to choose his thong for him!

nude biking day?
"is that a left turn signal or are you just glad to see me, big boy?"

---uh, it's not carbon "footprint" you have to worry about here!

plus any calculation of the [fake] carbon footprint must include all the extra traffic driving past their house, the snapping of photos, the talking on cell phones, the grabbing of momentos, I mean the carbon effects of this apparently simple activity are endless!

Merrill Merrill, how does your garden grow? ...

workinghard 5 years, 2 months ago

Gnome__ Now that merrill has cleared the way for us to post nude pictures, maybe we should all chip in to get him a lap dance. We could all send some money to J Kealing at the LJW and merrill could pick it up there.

independant1 5 years, 2 months ago

This wouldn't have messed me up as bad as the time I saw Mad Dog Bob Brown (pro wrassler circa 1967) mowing his lawn in his speedo.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 2 months ago

---you got that right, and somebody goes along to take pix, plus somebody's gotta blog on here about it: "Stripper blog: last lapdance for Merrill-spambot."

I wonder if he'd cut-and-pastey his responses for that one?

Roe: you are an eloquent man!

RoeDapple 5 years, 2 months ago

Wha! merrill got pinked for his biker porn? Ah, well, one man's fetish . . .