Archive for Friday, March 19, 2010

Winter storm warning canceled for Douglas County, advisory in effect

It's already snowing and should continue through the night. The temperatures will be hanging in the low 30s as the winter storm moves through.

March 19, 2010, 5:44 a.m. Updated March 19, 2010, 9:46 p.m.

4:43 a.m. Saturday

The National Weather Service in Topeka has canceled the winter storm warning previously in effect until Sunday morning. A winter weather advisory has taken its place.

Heavy snows caused driving conditions to deteriorate quickly overnight Friday. Many motorists reported having their vehicles slide off roads. Traffic on Interstate 70 was slowed Friday night when vehicles became stuck in the snow.

One to two inches of snow may still fall on the area, but the total accumulation is expected to be less than originally predicted.

9:45 p.m.

A cold wintry mix is falling in Lawrence creating some wet road conditions. The mix is expected to turn to snow later Friday evening as the storm system passes through the area.

2:12 p.m.

6News Chief Meteorologist Matt Elwell says it may be too early to count on the 6 to 8 inch number.

At the moment, he's expecting more in the 3 to 5 inch range, but the data is still changing.

2:00 p.m.

The National Weather Service has issued a winter storm warning for Douglas County and surrounding areas beginning at 10 p.m. tonight and ending 7 a.m. Sunday.

According to the latest forecast, rain should start falling this afternoon before changing to snow in the late evening. Snow will fall between Friday night and early Sunday, potentially resulting in 6 to 8 inches of accumulation. Snowfall combined with winds of 25 to 35 miles per hour overnight could make for hazardous travel conditions due to limited visibility.

Morris, Douglas, Lyon and Osage counties were all included in the winter storm warning, which was issued at 1:57 p.m.

5:44 a.m.

The National Weather Service in Topeka has issued a winter storm watch effective Friday evening through Sunday morning.

A strong cold front pushing through the area is expected to dump some precipitation on Douglas County. The precipitation should start as rain Friday afternoon, changing over to snow into the evening hours. The majority of the snow is expected to fall between late Friday night and early Sunday morning.

A total of six inches of snow is possible in the area as the storm works its way through. Winds are also expected to pick up, gusting to as much as 35 miles per hour.

The heavy snow combined with strong winds could make travel hazardous.

Comments

Stephanie Anderson 4 years, 9 months ago

Seems to me like the ground is too warm for 6 inches to accumulate.

Jonathan Becker 4 years, 9 months ago

My flight to California Desert, where it is 85, leaves at 4:40 this pm. I will be back late Monday. Enjoy.

Christine Anderson 4 years, 9 months ago

This time I didn't order it, honest! Just put plants our on patio and uncovered roses. Looks like they're all going to be indoor plants for a while.

Christine Pennewell Davis 4 years, 9 months ago

thought of doing the same cheesehead glad I was to sick to follow thru I hate having to play the in and out game with the plants this time of year.

lily 4 years, 9 months ago

If Katie screws up bball watching she better move. Surely she isn't that far gone? (Ok, I can hope can't I?)

trinity 4 years, 9 months ago

a sincere question for anybody who has a greener thumb than i; i've already got little daffodils and iris poking up! should i cover them? it looks like we may get below freezing maybe two nights?

d_prowess 4 years, 9 months ago

Anyone else see the new KCTV commercials that talks about how they have listened to people comments and they will not over-react to the weather? I thought it was awesome and is completely directed at Katie Horner. I wonder if they will actually follow through with it and reign her in...

Christine Anderson 4 years, 9 months ago

Trinity, I think the other posters are correct. For extra insurance, some mulch? I just came back from the store. They have lovely flowers, 2 4pks. for $3. An elderly friend of mine has agreed to let me use her rather expansive yard for flowers and gardening. She wants red Dianthus on the east side of her house. Bought 12 of these plants, but will keep them in their "store" containers until it warms up again.

trinity 4 years, 9 months ago

thanks to all you's for the input about the lil' plants! i'm so happy they're coming up, period! now i won't fret about the weather coming this weekend. besides-i have a feeling that we could end up with a bunch of chilly rain&then it'll be over! who the heck ever knows...

Alabamastreet 4 years, 9 months ago

Seems to me like the ground is too warm for 6 inches to accumulate.

That's what she said.

Jaylee 4 years, 9 months ago

@ Slowponder, You have any bags large enough for a 6'2" stowaway?

This is balderdash.

lily 4 years, 9 months ago

What a wonderful state we live in. Snow, thunder, lightning, rain and basketball all in the same day!!!

Christine Anderson 4 years, 9 months ago

Speaking of a possible six inches, bring on the penis humor!

Multi, where are you?

Randall Barnes 4 years, 9 months ago

1 to 12 inches can't go wrong with that guess.

NCAA.COM you can watch all the games live online for free so no need for anyone to miss a game because of breaking news or weather.

i support joe college

riverdrifter 4 years, 9 months ago

Front came through Baldwin at 225p. It went from 63 then to 50 at 330p. Highest wind gust off the front so far is 31 mph.

Marcy McGuffie 4 years, 9 months ago

Multidisciplinary (anonymous) says…

mischeese, I had no idea you were typing at the same time as me, lol.No pun intended, but it sure looks that way now, jeez.

Mmmhmm. Sure Multi - we believe ya!

Liberty275 4 years, 9 months ago

Remember everyone, if it's weather you can't say global warming.

windjammer 4 years, 9 months ago

Just be thankful it's Katie not Gary Lezak we have to look at.

Christine Anderson 4 years, 9 months ago

I say send Katie for a three-month temp. job with a station in the Twin Cities next winter. Then sit back and watch the fun!

Linda Endicott 4 years, 9 months ago

Getting sleet here in Ottawa for the past half hour now...hope that ends soon...I hate ice...would rather have snow...though the ice doesn't apear to be sticking to anything...it's kind of slush right now...

riverdrifter 4 years, 9 months ago

Ice pellets in BC. It's surly out there. Came in on my back porch & noticed a pair of Carolina wrens snuggled together not far from the light, so will leave it on tonight. I've fed'em all winter. No reason to hang up on them now.

Linda Endicott 4 years, 9 months ago

Snow in Ottawa now...wind blowing like crazy, swirling the stuff all around...looks like a blizzard out there...but so far, the flakes are really tiny...hope it stays that way...lol...

riverdrifter 4 years, 9 months ago

BTW, That one ought to really set Multi off, as if the lawn thing didn't. Heavy sugar snow in BC now. Speaking of which, the sap is up in the maples. Finally.

Kelly Johnson 4 years, 9 months ago

Well...guess it is cold enough for it to stick, after all, cuz my lawn is covered already! This is not exactly how I envisioned welcoming Spring.

denak 4 years, 9 months ago

Be careful if you have to go out and drive tonight. I had to drive a client to get a prescription at @11:00 and even then, I could only go about 20 mph.

When I left work at 11:45 p.m., I was driving 15mph. There are quite a few little patches of ice so drive slowly and give yourself a lot of time to stop.

Dena

jhawks1234 4 years, 9 months ago

Just drove back from work in KC and not one road was plowed yet. I saw so many cars off the road on K-10. Please everyone be careful and stay off the roads until they get plowed at least.

cfdxprt 4 years, 9 months ago

The wife and I went out for dinner tonight. On the way home it wasn't very pleasant - in fact I'd call it slickarusy. Now I'll shout it - It's SLICKARUSY out there, be careful. Looks like we missed the horrible, though tomorrow will tell. Be careful out there!

windjammer 4 years, 9 months ago

Where are the snow plows? I'am just waiting on them to plow my front yard. They plow two feet off the blacktop and leave ruts ten inches to a foot deep. They plow the asphalt into the front yard and in general destroy the street. Not to mention the cement corners they have broken on several streets. Within one hour on my two block long steet the plows made seven passes up and down the street and got one truck stuck and had to go to the city garage for a large piece of equiptment to pull it out . Oh by the way those ruts were two feet deep. Bring it on fellas it's going to be in the 50's tuesday and a little overtime wouldn't hurt either.