Archive for Saturday, March 13, 2010

Spring forward, or get left behind

March 13, 2010

It’s time to spring forward this Sunday for daylight saving time. Set clocks forward an hour tonight in a move that is meant to bring more sunlight to the day and save energy.

Daylight saving time officially started in the United States in 1918, but has gone through many revisions. The most recent revision in 2007 extended daylight saving time to save energy by increasing the hours of sunlight and reducing fuel use. Now, daylight saving time begins on the second Sunday of March and ends on the first Sunday of November.

Change your batteries

With the time change comes a reminder to change batteries in smoke alarms. Replacing batteries twice a year helps keep alarms at full working order.

A dose of advice for adjusting to change

Sleep experts say getting between seven and eight hours of ZZZ’s is critical to overall health.

Lack of sleep can lead to weight gain, heart problems and high blood pressure.

That’s why it’s important to adjust to daylight saving time and not let sleep patterns get out of whack.

The best advice is to go to bed at the same time and wake up at the same time.

Also, be aware of the time adjustment’s toll on the body.

“The Monday after the change there is a slight statistical increase in the number of accidents,” said Marianne Middleton, LMH Sleep Center coordinator. “It’s because people’s bodies just haven’t adjusted. They are driving drowsy.”

Experts say it generally takes two or three days to recover, but can take as long as a week. “This is the worst time change in the year,” Middleton said. “It’s bad.”

Comments

olmsted78 4 years, 9 months ago

"It's bad...." Oh yeah, watch out for that horrific 1 hr time change. It's gonna be just terrible. At 2 AM I actually plan on entering a large hyperbolic chamber and transporting myself back in time an hour or so.

groveslawnandhome 4 years, 9 months ago

The best part of this article is the first comment...

number3of5 4 years, 9 months ago

So you need 7 - 8 hours of sleep. What do you think the changing around of the time twice a year does to your internal clock? It throws it out of whack for quite a while. I know it will take me about a month to become accustomed to the new time. It also upsets my pets. They don't have the same concept of time that we do, but they know when it is time to go out to the bathroom and if on DST it is 7:00 am, it is still 6:00 am to them and they won't want to go out for another half an hour or more. So, I'm with beobachter, quit all the switching and leave it where it is.

Susan Mangan 4 years, 9 months ago

Normally I hate "losing" that hour. But I have to work a 12 hour shift tonight and that hour is going to make it go so much faster. Fall-back is a bad night to work. I need to check my schedule for that one.

Vinny1 4 years, 9 months ago

Number3of5 -

A month? For real? Grow up. A couple days and you're back to normal.

Have you ever flown coast to coast? Or gone overseas? Because that is a heck of a lot more time difference than a single hour.

KansasPerson 4 years, 9 months ago

number3of5,

You must really love your pets if you built them their own bathroom.

(Sorry, that euphemism has always made me smile for some reason.... especially when I'm pretty sure there's no actual "room" involved)

beatrice 4 years, 9 months ago

Here in Arizona we don't bother with such nonsense. We thumb our noses at you foolish time shifters and leave our clocks alone.

riverdrifter 4 years, 9 months ago

It's odd how the adjustment works for people. For me, it's basically one day. That first evening it's sort of odd. Then, so what. I can grill without a head lamp. All good.

KansasPerson 4 years, 9 months ago

none2, don't forget they tried to have DST in the wintertime back in the 1970s. I think it was supposed to help with the "energy crisis." I was just a kid, but yeah, I hated it. I was never that into dark winter mornings in the first place, and that made it even worse. Of course that might have had something to do with the fact that we had to get our own little butts to school, over a mile away, with no bus picking us up or parents driving us.

What would it be like, on the other hand, to have plain old Standard Time year-round?

beatrice 4 years, 9 months ago

none2, yes, you are correct about the Navajo nation and it's observance of the time shift. However, I don't live on the res. Where I live in Arizona, we don't bother with this nonsense.

thebcman, enjoying a 70 degree day today, which is near the weather for the last few months. It only really gets near 120 for a couple of months a year (when we really don't need an extra hour of sunshine). I'll still take it over below zero temps and snow for half the year. As I always say, you never have to shovel sunshine, and, we never have to worry about getting ticketed for not clearing our sidewalks in Phoenix.