Archive for Friday, March 12, 2010

Parkinson signs statewide smoking ban into law

Asked about the new ban's provision that could remove smoking areas in downtown Lawrence, Parkinson said he sympathizes with businesses adversely affected by government regulations, but said state officials have to focus on the “greater good.”

March 12, 2010, 11:00 a.m. Updated March 12, 2010, 4:34 p.m.

`Kansas kicks butt' was the message on a giant cookie at the ceremony where Gov. Mark Parkinson signed into law an indoor smoking ban.  The ban took effect July 1, 2010, and prohibits smoking at bars, restaurants and most indoor workplaces.

`Kansas kicks butt' was the message on a giant cookie at the ceremony where Gov. Mark Parkinson signed into law an indoor smoking ban. The ban took effect July 1, 2010, and prohibits smoking at bars, restaurants and most indoor workplaces.

Rural communities adjust to smoking ban

Lawrence is already used to limited smoking rights. But rural towns will need to adjust to Kansas' new state-wide smoking ban. Enlarge video

— Gov. Mark Parkinson said the smoking ban he signed into law on Friday represented a win for the public and the process.

“Kansas won, special interests lost,” Parkinson said to cheering clean air advocates who crowded into the south wing on the second floor of the Capitol for the signing ceremony.

After four years of work, the Legislature approved the bill last month. Under the measure, smoking will be prohibited in most indoor public places, such as restaurants, bars and work areas.

The law takes effect July 1 and will replace many local bans, such as the one in Lawrence.

Unlike the Lawrence ordinance, a provision in the state law makes it illegal to smoke within a 10-foot radius of a doorway. That will likely ban smoking at many sidewalk dining and drinking areas and could impact smoking decks at several establishments.

Asked about this, Parkinson said he sympathizes with businesses adversely affected by government regulations, but said state officials have to focus on the “greater good.”

He said the new clean air law will improve the health of thousands of Kansans.

Parkinson said he disliked an exception to the ban for state-run casinos. “I think it’s hypocritical,” he said.

Comments

lgreen17 5 years, 3 months ago

ti62421 5 years, 3 months ago

Apparently Parkinson does NOT have to live off of income from a small business--sympathy my ***

jimmyjms 5 years, 3 months ago

Well done? Why?

I'm a life-long non-smoker and asthmatic. I am 100% against a smoking ban.

If a place is not to your liking, don't go there.

beim 5 years, 3 months ago

Thanks for not letting business owners decide for themselves on how they want to run their own buisness that pays you taxes and more taxes!! Welcome to the new face of Amurka! Where the government will run your life and decide how you run your own private business, Just smell the freedom in the air! I bet drinking in doors will be next because it's an adult choice. At my house there are cheap drinks and you know what you can smoke too if you want because damn it it's my choice.

beim 5 years, 3 months ago

GmaD321 5 years, 3 months ago

I have been both a smoker and a non-smoker over the years. Currently not smoking. I think that if folks had common sense we wouldn't have to have this law. Smokers do not have the automatic right to pollute the air I breathe in any enclosed place. When I did smoke, I smoked outside so as not to hurt the kids, didn't smoke in the car when any of them were with me and didn't smoke in my own car if I had a passenger who didn't smoke. Even when I did smoke I didn't like to smell it while eating cuz that's just nasty. I say this is long overdue and hello to cleaner air!

mom_of_three 5 years, 3 months ago

Are casinos still excluded? So much for the state wide good.
I am against the smoking ban. Let the businesses decide how they want to run their business and let the patrons decide where they want to go.

Boston_Corbett 5 years, 3 months ago

the world is ending, obviously. And just when people are getting healthier.

imastinker 5 years, 3 months ago

I'm another person that has not had so much as a drag on a cigarette and am against this ban.

What's next? What other rights are we going to have to lose for the greater good? Maybe next time it'll be one that affects me.

motherof4 5 years, 3 months ago

I am so happy!!! It's about time!!! I am so tried of having to walk through a cloud of smoke to get into anywhere downtown! Yeah!

ralphralph 5 years, 3 months ago

Time to break out my favorite quote on the topic: cue Justice Brandeis:

"Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the Government's purposes are beneficent. Men born to freedom are naturally alert to repel invasion of their liberty by evil-minded rulers. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding."

Jeremy DeBoard 5 years, 3 months ago

Here's mine Ralph. It seems mighty appropriate with the new CCW law as well.

There are some circles in America where it seems to be more socially acceptable to carry a hand-gun than a packet of cigarettes. ~Katharine Whitehorn

Shane Garrett 5 years, 3 months ago

I am glad the lawmakers are working so hard on important topics such as job creation, bringing more business to Kansas and oh, wait....I guess they are trying to pass a law on a state grass and ban smoking. Well, that should help. Fire them all.

sad_lawrencian 5 years, 3 months ago

Good to see this happen. This is a historic day for Lawrence and Kansas. Thanks and congratulations are in order for Mr. Parkinson and the Kansas legislature.

Shane Garrett 5 years, 3 months ago

casinos are still excluded, the state does not want to lose money on the slots. They don't care about legal business. What a bunch of money ho's.

Jeremy DeBoard 5 years, 3 months ago

So now that smokers have been beaten to the curb, literally, what's next? Shall we take away their right to smoke in their own homes or just on their porches where their stinky wafts of smoke could potentially affect their neighbors? How about having them all move into a little community of their own. We could call it Raucher.

situveux1 5 years, 3 months ago

Guess I'll have to go to a state owned casino to smoke now.

headdoctor 5 years, 3 months ago

It is obvious that the Kansas ABC is going to have a certain amount of authority in the enforcement but it still isn't clear how they intend to enforce this law other than by fear of fine. On paper it looks like yet another law that cannot be enforced equally or fairly. Certainly not in many parts of the State. There isn't enough police and not hardly any ABC officers even they include the Department of Health to accomplish this task. I have a feeling the legislature didn't think the whole enforcement thing all the way through. The day is pretty much over where the patriotic citizens eagerly follow the wishes of the Government.

inquire 5 years, 3 months ago

All you nay-sayers: Boo hoo! Don't cry and don't be surprised. "Gub-ment not gonna tell me what to do!" Guess what? That just happened! Just add it to your list of communism ideals like: speed limits, airport security, no drunk driving, sales tax, fire codes, and stop lights. If this is the worst thing in your life, you have a hard life indeed. I'm going to go dab my eyes as I cry about this some more. -sniffle-

puddleglum 5 years, 3 months ago

i don't like choking my way through the ever present cloud of smoke in front of free state, so I am glad this is finally passed. people will go out to eat whether they can smoke in the restaurant or not, so I just ignore the "i'll never go out to eat-if i can't smoke' rhetoric

Jeremy DeBoard 5 years, 3 months ago

After your done wiping your eyes, you may notice that some of those "nay-sayers" are non-smokers too.

whats_going_on 5 years, 3 months ago

I'm going to guess this isn't going to do much, besides make me walk through the nastiness outside of the ten foot radius.

Jeremy DeBoard 5 years, 3 months ago

If you think 10 feet will save you, you're sadly mistaken.

generalsn 5 years, 3 months ago

Why not just close all the bars that are close to the casino now? Here in Chicago, after over two years, many neighborhood (not "trendy") bars are forced to ignore the ban, or close. They patiently waited through the first winter for all these new customers who never showed up before they made their decision. Patrons, even non smokers, gladly contribute to the "fine kitty"

ImproperUsername 5 years, 3 months ago

Smokers brought this on themselves by being, as a group, so inconsiderate of other people. I am very glad for this ban. I have a son who has asthma and there have been times when we had to leave restaurants because other patrons were smoking. No smoking areas just weren't enough to protect people like my son, because smoke doesn't respect boundaries. Asthma is not the fault of the person who has it, they did nothing to deserve it, and it is potentially life threatening. Smoking is a choice, and is also life threatening not only to the smoker but to the asthmatics nearby.

Fins 5 years, 3 months ago

Believe it or not Kansas is the 26th state to enact a statewide smoking ban.

crispysyn 5 years, 3 months ago

So much for trying to revitalize Downtown Lawrence. When all the small businesses start shutting down, how many empty buildings do you think there will be? Will they give tickets to people who are smoking and walking down the sidewalk?

And notjustyoureverdayaveragetrol, you are a simpleton. Thinking people who smoke are the "lower rungs of society" Screw you and your more than likely west lawrence, better than everyone else attitude. You dropped your silver spoon, you better pick it up.

Zype 5 years, 3 months ago

"The greater good"? Now what does this remind me of?

@ImproperUsername: Yes. Those damn smokers deserve this. They're all inconsiderate of other people. As for you and your brave, brave, tortured son. Go you. Asthmatics can never be around smoke, or they'll drop dead instantly. I can't believe you actually had to leave a restaurant. Now that this has gone through, I propose a new bill to take care of every single other reason why someone might have to leave a restaurant. Police state, live on.

Jeremy DeBoard 5 years, 3 months ago

Improper, why in the world would you enter an establishment with you son that allowed smoking, even in a section, in the first place? Don't blame smokers for their choices when you obviously make bad ones as well.

Glenda Breese 5 years, 3 months ago

all crybabies, the line is forming now for out of state!!! I am more than glad you cant make me breath your nasty smoke! Having said that.That you will be forced(maybe) not to die of cancer,but I would rather not ,and that is my choice.HAGD

Jeremy DeBoard 5 years, 3 months ago

Babboy, your assumption that all smokers have not fought for other civil rights groups is not only small minded, but long winded. Smokers have been on both sides of every issue of civil rights throughout history. But I suppose this is a good example of "You scratch my back and I'll stab yours."

thefisherman 5 years, 3 months ago

I can't believe all you people crying about a ban that Lawrence already has. The only thing that changes here is the ten foot rule. Find something new to whine about.

All your talk about downtown Lawrence losing businesses, blah, blah blah, is a waste of breath...er, pixels. Anyone in downtown Lawrence that was going to go out of business because of a smoking ban already would have. Any business that goes under downtown is based on a combination of these three reasons: Their food sucks, their prices are too high, or they tried to sell to much too focused a market.

If, in fact, businesses DO fail because of a smoking ban, it isn't the ban's fault. It's the smokers' fault who can't go sit down for a one hour meal without a cigarette. Seriously, if you can't have one in your car before and after the meal without going into withdrawals, and that "forces" you to stop patronizing a business, that isn't any ban's problem. It's a personal problem.

Stop whining.

jimmyjms 5 years, 3 months ago

"Greater good?"

When, exactly, does that stop? Red meat is directly related to a host of health problems, as is alcohol, cars, plastics, so on and so forth. Shall we just ban all of that? Just FYI: I'm a vegetarian and would prefer to ride my bike.

For the cry babies on here: where in the last five years have you been forced to leave because of smoke? It sure as hell wasn't a restaurant in Lawrence....

Um, fisherman, you apparently don't know anyone who manages a bar in this town. The smoking ban hurt them, bad, especially in light of the fact that there are two drinking establishments that had outdoor patios in place. Or did you think that all of those new outdoor patios were a coincidence?

pfunk81 5 years, 3 months ago

Trouble 5 years, 3 months ago

jonas_opines 5 years, 3 months ago

Responding to someone with "troll" in their name is a waste of time.

Smokers are a small minority, so they are going to be crapped on, fact of life.

Calling anyone inconsiderate while gloating over sacrifices that they will have to make and you do not looks inconsiderate, and rather hypocritical.

My three cents.

mom_of_three 5 years, 3 months ago

I think you all are missing an important point. Why have a smoking ban for every establishment in Kansas, except for the casinos for which the state earns lots of money from? VERY hypocritical. If there is a smoking ban in kansas, then it should apply to all establishments, and the government shouldn't pick and choose.

I am a non-smoker. I have a child with asthma. Never supported the ban.
I don't like the hypocritical nature of the ban, and hope the government doesn't start to ban all things that could cause cancer, because you know, depending on what you read, just about everything can cause cancer.

ferrislives 5 years, 3 months ago

pfunk81 (anonymous) says… "I'm going to stand exactly 10 feet from any door and blow smoke on every person who walks by. You won't escape it."

That's the same inconsiderate attitude that got smokers where they are today in Kansas and other states that have banned it. I personally don't think that it's the state's place to tell business owners what to do, although it's been nice to walk out of establishments not smelling like stale smoke. But if smokers in Kansas had worked on being more considerate of non-smokers, they wouldn't be where they're at today. Not all smokers are inconsiderate, but enough of them are.

Jeremy DeBoard 5 years, 3 months ago

Good to know those who drink alcohol are also a part of the lower rung of society. Of course, you won't step on that rung until you admit you have a problem.

Richard Payton 5 years, 3 months ago

Will this make those compassion care centers illegal to smoke a cig by the doors but not a joint if medicial maryjane passes?

Richard Payton 5 years, 3 months ago

Jeremy DeBoard 5 years, 3 months ago

If it's passed, then yes. This ban is on tobacco, but don't be surprised if marijuana is made legal if it too will have bans.

gravitykills 5 years, 3 months ago

What about the millions of us (basically everyone over 30 to 40 y/o) who grew up around second hand smoke (from the grocery store to home to the swimming pool to even the principal’s office)? Lot of healthy lungs in those millions and no ill affects.

If you're for the ban, call like it is... you don't like the smell of smoke on your clothes.

I don't smoke, but for those of you that do.... smoke em if ya got em!

storm 5 years, 3 months ago

Healthcare_Moocher (anonymous) says… There is nothing wrong with non smokers being selfish for once... You smokers have had all the cards for way to long.

Well said!

ferrislives 5 years, 3 months ago

gravitykills, again, another example of that same attitude that lost today.

Jeremy DeBoard 5 years, 3 months ago

So where do we go to sign up for a new, more strict, alcohol ban?

hawkmama93 5 years, 3 months ago

Hey Motherof4, You're right! You won't have to worry about walking through clouds of smoke to go anywhere on Mass. Between this smoking ban and how difficult the city makes it to establish a business there, there won't be anyplace to go to on Mass.

ferrislives 5 years, 3 months ago

Trouble (anonymous) says… "Yes, You can thank all of the do-gooders for this smoking ban. Now the go-gooders can go after the Fat people..... we want everyone to be in good health you have to start running and exercising. You can not weigh more then 170 for men and 120 for women. We do not like looking at you FAT people and you take up too much room, they are a bad influence on my kids. If your Fat you can not live in our great State of Kansas. There you go start campaigning to get rid of Fat people."

If a lot of fat people started shoving food down people's throats whenever they felt like it, then I'm sure something would be done about that as well.

ivalueamerica 5 years, 3 months ago

Yea, our taxes will go down due to lowered public health problems and just like in every other community that has smoking bans, the gloom and doomers who predict the demise of all business will be once again proven wrong

Bruce Bertsch 5 years, 3 months ago

gravitykills 5 years, 3 months ago

Jeremy DeBoard 5 years, 3 months ago

Alcohol breath is worse than coffee breath.

ferrislives 5 years, 3 months ago

gravitykills (anonymous) says… "and ferrislives... yet another example of a follower that subscribes to the second hand smoke health card! Admit it... you just don't like the smell on your clothes! I certainly didn't lose today because I don't like the smell either. I feel so clean now!

The people that lost today are the small business owners because we don't like the smell of a cigarette. What's next? Coffee? I don't like the smell of coffee, especially coffee drinker’s breath. Wow! now that's nasty! and it is an addiction that Americans can do without. So, we should tax the hell out of it first and then let's go ahead and look into banning it."

To imply that I think smoking should be banned because I don't like the smell of stale smoke on my clothes is pretty far fetched, isn't it? I know smokers who tell me the same thing. No one in their right mind likes the smell of stale smoke on their clothes, unless they have a weird fetish.

To act as if there are no ill effects of second hand smoke is just insane and plain stupid. Do you have children? If so, would you be ok with your kids being in a house with an everyday smoker? If so, why? If not, why not?

Again, I personally believe that it should be up to business owners, BUT the inconsiderate smokers out there did this to themselves, and considerate smokers will now have to deal with it as well.

oldtimer39 5 years, 3 months ago

I'm looking forward to seeing how this ban is enforced on a windy day when a smoker is the proper distance from a doorway but the smoke isn't.

headdoctor 5 years, 3 months ago

jonas_opines (anonymous) says… Smokers are a small minority.

What surprised me was when I was looking up the various estimations of adult smokers in the US. Even using some of the anti-smoker group's figures and considering there is always room for error and skewed results, there are still a lot more smokers out there than the anti-smoking crowds would like for people to believe. They may be a minority of adults. If there really is 43 to over 50 million smokers out there, that is hardly small.

finance 5 years, 3 months ago

Oldtimer39:

Now that this law has been passed, I'm just looking forward to tomorrow as a REALLY GOOD THING. Now, I can breathe easy and not gag. First time I've ever been proud of Kansas.

Jeremy DeBoard 5 years, 3 months ago

Small when you consider the majority is over 250 million.

Jeremy DeBoard 5 years, 3 months ago

You won't breathe easy until July 1st, when it goes into effect.

amrose42683 5 years, 3 months ago

"ferrislives: I don't have much sympathy for people who end up getting smoking-related diseases after years of smoking, but I do have a lot of sympathy for those who die of lung cancer through no fault of their own." -Because we all know that every non-smoker that has gotten lung cancer got it from second-hand smoke. Please. You imply that cancer either effects people who did it to themselves and/or those that it was "given" to like it's an infectious disease.

I'm not for or against this ban; however, I'm for the businesses downtown, and my sympathy goes out to all of those businesses that put money into building outdoor decks to accomodate their smoking patrons ... you just found out you wasted a lot of money and may be doomed to close anyway.

Jeremy DeBoard 5 years, 3 months ago

I'm sure the antismokers will jump in and use those outdoor areas.

headdoctor 5 years, 3 months ago

moderationman (anonymous) says… Once again, the naysayers are making stuff up. Given the coming increase in taxes on tobacco products combined with the ban, smoking will decrease. It has in every state that has passed a ban. Smoking declined 11% in New York after one year. Of course in NYC a pack will cost you upwards of $8.

Yup. And those politicians better grab all that sin tax while they can. Any ideas where they are going to get the taxes from when there aren't enough smokers to feed the politicians habit?

Personally, I don't like the Government controlling everything but if they really cared they would just ban tobacco all together and put an end to this talking out both side of their mouth. They wont because they want the sin tax.

Jeremy DeBoard 5 years, 3 months ago

Soda is a sin, so says taxes. Just topeka "soda tax".

Darrell Lea 5 years, 3 months ago

One small signature for a man; one giant leap forward for the public health and greater good.

I'm all for it.

gravitykills 5 years, 3 months ago

You make some good points ferris. I do have kids and I wouldn't subject them to second hand smoke, just as I don't allow them to stand in the smoke of a smoldering fire pit. Neither is going to kill them or cause any damage to their lungs, but it may make them light headed and nauseous and I would rather prevent that.

I lived 18 years in second hand smoke and my lungs are very healthy. So, I just don't buy into the 'people die of second hand smoke' thing. If that were the case, millions of us are going to live short lives.

Most smokers are respectful of children. And if they're not, I remove my kids from that environment. But, at least we can both agree that there should be a ban on smoking inside businesses that children can occupy.

gravitykills 5 years, 3 months ago

I'll add "that children can reasonably occupy".

Richard Heckler 5 years, 3 months ago

The more smokes the more medical insurance giants see fit to justify increases of premiums and co-pays.

Increases in medical insurance costs increase the cost of just about everything we purchase.

Smoke travels freely thereby invading the privacy of others.

Jeremy DeBoard 5 years, 3 months ago

My employment's health insurers charge more if you smoke, not if you don't smoke. I'm pretty sure that's normal all over by now. Saying it's smokers that are raising your nonsmoking health care costs is incorrect.

Christine Anderson 5 years, 3 months ago

Hot Damn! Oh yes, I do acknowledge smokers have the right to smoke, but not where myself or my sons will be forced to breathe it! I can walk through an area where someone has been smoking in the hallway, and immediately have chest pain, a headache, and have to go running for my inhaler. I don't see how this is revoking a person's right to smoke. It's about protecting the rights of non-smokers to remain non-smokers. I do think I'll print a copy of the new law and post it by the mailboxes in my apt. bldg. I have some neighbors who don't know how to read a lease which states that "common" areas are to be non-smoking areas. Last night I kicked a still-lit cigarette out the doorway. Some dummy had dropped it on the carpet in the hallway seconds before I walked through there. Apparently, the smoker in this case does not care if he or she starts a fire in the bldg.

Yes, this person has the right to smoke-in their own home!

Jeremy DeBoard 5 years, 3 months ago

The law also covers the common places of apartment buildings.

Maracas 5 years, 3 months ago

Excellent law. Smokers can keep their nasty habit at home.

ASBESTOS 5 years, 3 months ago

Whew! I am glad they passed this rule!

It's not like there are more important issues facing Kansas for the next , say 2 decades!

Jeremy DeBoard 5 years, 3 months ago

I'm curious, do all of you antismokers have the same hate towards those who chew tobacco?

mom_of_three 5 years, 3 months ago

The state tells businesses they can't allow smoking inside or outside of their establishments, while at the same time, allowing smoking in casinos. How can they explain that, if the governor says the ban is for the greater good?

Jeremy DeBoard 5 years, 3 months ago

If you're promoting one addiction, why not another.

kansasmutt 5 years, 3 months ago

Mr. Gov. Mark Parkinson. We will see you in court. You have made this bill a law that is illegal and will cost the state of Kansas billions when it is said and done. You have done more to destroy small business than anyone who has been in your position in our states history. You have signed your name to a bill that will destroy our states tax revenue intake in a period that the common person and business owner is operating in the red and no light at the end of the tunnel. This law could have been designed to stop smoking at a business entrance (public property in some cases) and signage to inform people that a business allows smoking indoors and allow for patrons to decide for themselves to enter or patronize another business. This is called choice. You have taken a right of choice from every Kansan. You also excluded State Owned Casinos from this ban and that is illegal .You have catered to a (special interest) group and is not in the best interest of our state in a whole. Money could have been put aside to educate people about the cost of smoking and they could make the choice to smoke or not smoke. You have decided to put your name to a law that is against American beliefs, against our civil rights and is illegal. It will now be up to the courts to decide, state and federal.

kimmydarling 5 years, 3 months ago

I always love the whole "business owners shouldn't get told by the STATE what to do!" Well..why? they have to have a STATE business license. a STATE tax ID number. Insurance that the state mandates...

energy03 5 years, 3 months ago

Blah, blah, blah! It'll be a cold day in hell before our elected officials do anything for the betterment of the people. Parkinson can't do a damn thing about the real issue Kansas faces so he has to do something. This just happens to be it. Bottom line is if I want to smoke, I'll smoke. If I want to drink, I'll drink. If I want to use drugs...you get the picture. And to the self serving, greedy bastards elected to serve the "people".....kiss mine.

doc1 5 years, 3 months ago

Best thing to happen to Kansas in awhile. This is actually better for businesses. Every other city and state ban has led to an increase in business after the initial change. That is a fact. Research it.

kansasmutt 5 years, 3 months ago

((( I, for one, will be going out far more now once July 1 rolls around. For the first time since I moved from California to Kansas I'm sort of cheerful about doing things around here ))) Move back to Cali !!!!!! I see why you left, Cali is broke just like Kansas will be, owh broker than now i mean. You do gooders have NO CLUE what today meant to Kansans, NO CLUE at all. You think you won some game.This is not a game, it is business survival. This is about our rights being taken away. Non smokers have the right of choice to patronize a no smoking business, smokers have the right to patronize a business in Missouri because they can smoke there. Next up on the hit list is alcohol. You drinkers best get a good attorney on the payroll. Choice is not a choice anymore in Kansas.

Jeremy DeBoard 5 years, 3 months ago

Hey didn't the pigs in Animal Farm preach "The Greater Good" ? Hmm....

kansasmutt 5 years, 3 months ago

Doc1 ) Did you look into California and New York sales tax revenues after the bans went into law ? Have you read heart and lung issues have risen each year after the bans were law ? Do you know stress is the #1 killer in this country and smoking is the #1 stress reliever ? California sales tax revenue fell 60% following the law and has leveled out around 30% down. New York lost 50% and has leveled out down 35% . Heart disease and lung cancers are up in both of those states since the laws went into effect. Nationwide , more children under the age of 12 are starting to experiment with cigarettes, then before the laws. Education is needed, not loss of freedoms and choice.

Kat Christian 5 years, 3 months ago

Well heck people get ready to carry your card - eventually this will be proof you are an American so if you get stopped by police they will not only ask for your driver's license, but your Gov't ID CARD. Sound familar? and Scary.

Jeremy DeBoard 5 years, 3 months ago

I already have a government ID card. It's called a Social Security Card.

BorderRuffian 5 years, 3 months ago

What a bunch of obnoxious boo hoo'ers we have here. No more having to sit through a nice dinner out somewhere and have some inconsiderate jerk ruin it by wheezing out great clouds of noxious smoke. What gives you smokers the right to intrude on ME with your filthy addiction?

"Liberty ain't liberty when your liberty deprives me of mine." BorderRuffian.

And another thing - lgreen17 (anonymous) says… "This law is going to have no impact on tobacco use. There’s not one kid or adult who will not use tobacco because of this law."

Who cares? Now you no longer have the right to impinge on MY rights. And you are wrong, anyway. Now when you and your kids go out to a restaurant, not only will you NOT have the right to take away my right to breathe clean, unfouled air, but during the time you are in said restaurant, your body will have the luxury of a vacation from your filthy habit.

Come on, now. There really IS NOT a single good reason you NEED to smoke.

And now that everyone across Kansas is banned from public smoking, the playing field has just been leveled, and each bar and formerly smoking establishment can compete straight up.

Basically, smoking $ucks!

Jeremy DeBoard 5 years, 3 months ago

Ruffian, you're so funny. Have a taxed soda on me.

Richard Heckler 5 years, 3 months ago

Smoking is not a right it is a habit/addiction like heroin. Feel free to do these at home, in your car, back yard or on the street. LMH allows neither on hospital grounds.

It is my assumption that tobacco addiction sneaks up on a person like heroin. No one sets out to become addicted to either.

It is estimated 80% of the population do not smoke.

Simply put tobacco smoke cannot be contained which permits smoke to invade the privacy of others.

Tobacco/nicotine residue clings to curtains,curtain rods,walls,ceilings,bars,stools,kitchen cabinets,furniture,appliances,doors,clothes,hair,windows,dashboards,steering wheels,lungs etc etc etc.

Tobacco smoke has made my eyes burn for as long as I can remember.

kimmydarling 5 years, 3 months ago

I love all these super citizens whose right to smoke is more important than my right to not breathe their expelled toxins.

Oh and "go to Missouri you can smoke there?" the uh..bars and clubs are in Westport and you can't smoke in them anymore. Amazingly enough, there are still tons of people there.

Jeremy DeBoard 5 years, 3 months ago

You're right too Kimmy. You are more than welcome to use the new patio areas that were constructed for us smokers to dine out, since we won't be able. Feel free to breathe the expelled toxins from all the traffic on Mass and connecting streets.

factstraight 5 years, 3 months ago

most of you posting against this ban should have followed the words of Mark Twain- "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt". These are some of the stupidest arguments imaginable and you are a bunch of IDIOTS! Is it a business owners right to let you bring in radioactive material if you want too? They can post a sign we are a radioactive material friendly business, but yes, I could chose to go somewhere else. Stupid is as stupid does

kimmydarling 5 years, 3 months ago

Can you kids come up with a single argument that isn't "well..well...cars are stinky TOO!"

Do you often park a few dozen cars indoors and rev the engins?

Jeremy DeBoard 5 years, 3 months ago

I said nothing about the smell, but yes, they stink too.

Smoking "increases" your chance for cancer. So does tanning, eating grilled meat, living near industrial factories, etc. etc.

Sucking on a car's exhaust is easily more fatal than anything above, but at least you won't die of cancer, right?

kimmydarling 5 years, 3 months ago

Oh alright fine, I can be irrational too. The anguished oppressed tears of smokers simply serve to make it all the more pleasant that this ban passed. Tell me more of your personal struggles and how you'll all stand up for yourselves against the mean overlord state..

No really, your outrage is inspiring. I bet they'll make a movie of the week "They made me smoke outside: an emphysema tale".

Jeremy DeBoard 5 years, 3 months ago

Personally, I've chosen to evolve. You can't ban e-cigarettes as they are neither producers of smoke nor a tobacco product. As the byproduct is water vapor, it's also good for the environment.

There's hope for you yet, Kimmy. After your crusade against smokers is complete, I'm sure you'll find time to evolve, too.

kimmydarling 5 years, 3 months ago

Whoa whoa, this is Kansas..we can't speak of evolution lest someone hear about our heathen ways

Jeremy DeBoard 5 years, 3 months ago

Haha, yes well, they haven't taken that right away from us all; not yet anyways.

kimmydarling 5 years, 3 months ago

Hey here's the thing. You want to switch to an e-cigarette? Go for it. I got one for my mom and she's all about it. She gets her fix and I don't come away with a raging migraine. That's the thing..

Smokers can get their nicotine buzz in a number of ways. Smoke gathering inside causes physical problems for some people so making sure it doesn't happen hardly bothers me. Maybe someone should start up small businesses selling and promoting e-cigs in Kansas. They could make a mint now

Boston_Corbett 5 years, 3 months ago

I wonder what kind of cheese I am going to have with all that whine on those smoking decks.

tomatogrower 5 years, 3 months ago

lgreen17 (anonymous) says… This law is going to have no impact on tobacco use. There’s not one kid or adult who will not use tobacco because of this law.

That is not what the law is about. It's about you having to feed your addiction in appropriate places, not in places where others do not want to share your addiction. Alcoholics and drug addicts can't partake in their addictions just anywhere either. People can't have sex in the streets, or run around naked, even if that feels good to them. Smoke at home.

tomatogrower 5 years, 3 months ago

ralphralph (anonymous) says… Tyranny of the majority. I don't smoke and don't like to be around smoke, but I've found that my feet will take me out of any door I've decided I should not have entered. The "greater good" ... bah!

Time to break out my favorite quote on the topic: cue Justice Brandeis:

So you and Brandeis believe that everyone has the right to be addicted to a drug and partake in the drug anywhere they want? Perhaps in school too? How about shooting up in church? How about having sex at Allen field house? During a game, I mean. It's probably happened there at some time when the place was empty :>).

Tom Wilson 5 years, 3 months ago

I don't smoke...but have been against this ban for some time. If I wanted to open a bar that catered to smokers and hired smokers to run and manage it for me, in the state of Kansas, I am not allowed to do that. Sure, I would put a sign on the door letting people who don't smoke and don't want to be around smokers that there is, in fact, smoking going on inside. You would be welcome to come in as long as you are accepting of the conditions. You guys who refuse to wear deodorant, insist on eating at McDonalds or habitually reach for that salt shaker...watch out! You are next! "Freedom"...perhaps we will reserve a chapter for it's remembrance someday in a book covering American history....then again, maybe not.

beatrice 5 years, 3 months ago

raby, just think, if I wanted to open a bar with wood-lined walls that allowed indoor fireworks, that hired only firework fans and catered to fireworks afficiandos, the state of Kansas wouldn't allow me to do that either. Yes, people might die from second-hand fire, but hey, it would be their choice! Gee, so much for freedom!

Guess my shooting-at-one-another range is out of the question too. Might as well be Nazi Germany the way things are going. Can't do anything that can kill other people any more!

Oh, and if you didn't catch it the first 473,879 times it was written, your eating at McDonalds, using an overabundance of salt or not wearing deodorant won't possibly in any way either make me fat, give me clogged arteries, or give me cancer even if I don't like the smell. It also won't make for a workplace with polluted air that can cause cancer. Thanks for playing, though.

Richard Payton 5 years, 3 months ago

The new electronic smokeless cigarette might start selling due to this ruling.

Calliope877 5 years, 3 months ago

mom_of_three (anonymous) says… "Never supported the ban. yes, its proven that smoking can cause cancer, but then why don't all smokers get cancer?"

I personally believe the answer to your question may be in the DNA of the individual. I think a person has to have a genetic pre-disposition for cancer (this is why doctors ask if cancer runs in the family) and smoking can be an effective trigger. My great grandfather was a three-pack-a-day chain smoker and heavy drinker until he died of pneumonia at the age of 92. On the flip side, I had an uncle who was also a heavy smoker and drinker and he did die of cancer at the age of 42. Perhaps my uncle's cigs had more chemicals in them than my great grandpa's cigs...or maybe my uncle was just unfortunate enough to inherit the right DNA cocktail for cancer to set in.

UfoPilot 5 years, 3 months ago

So does that mean bars could replace their doors with a big walk-through window ?

pfunk81 5 years, 3 months ago

New York is going to ban salt in all restaurants. google it!

ivalueamerica 5 years, 3 months ago

The pro-cancer crowd who presents the false whine about nanny state are really getting boring.

When they get cancer, or give it to someone else, they know the government will step in and be nanny as no one can afford the health care without help.

They know if they die from the disease that their children will can be nannied by the government.

What they want is the right to do whatever they want without accepting any the of responsibility.

jumpin_catfish 5 years, 3 months ago

I don't use it but if it's so bad that you can't use it in public why is it not outlawed altogether? Oh, tax money....but what about the children. Seriously, if you smoke around a child then shame on you. Sean Penn hopes you get rectal cancer but I hope you wise up.

kansasmutt 5 years, 3 months ago

As i sit and read the post’s on here I see allot of people who are thinking about only themselves and what they like as an individual. They spew out fresh air, no Smokey bar or eatery. They have no clue what this ban is about nor do they have a clue as to what choice is for you and me. They know nothing about business or what it is like to make payroll or keep the store open. They know nothing about writing that sales tax check every month to send to the state. Sales tax in our business is down 70% from 2 years ago and this ban could break our business and the state will lose the sales tax we collect every month, along with millions of other dollars. I have to say Merrill and Kimmy are the 2 most self centered posters on this topic. Neither one knows what choice is nor do they care about anyone else. I care about businesses and what this is going to do to ALL businesses in the state. The real issue besides the state taking our choice away is the illegal part of this law that excludes State Owned casinos. That my friends is going to be what will kick this laws a#$. If the law had included State Owned casinos, the law would be legal. I am happy to see allot of non smokers join in and voice their unhappy feelings about an illegal law that takes our rights away. Choice is the way to decide this kind of situation. After all , we are humans with the best brains on this planet. Those who can not read a sign and decide on their own, well, I am sorry. Thank you. _ Contact_ nosmokingbaninkansas@gmail ____to become part of the business backed fight against this ban. Its not just our rights its our lives.

Zype 5 years, 3 months ago

@rtpayton: Perhaps that was the intent.

kimmydarling 5 years, 3 months ago

Keep whining, mutt. You can talk about how it will destroy all business with places like California, Nebraska and Washington state. All three places I've lived in and have watched small businesses start and thrive despite the smoking ban.

The earth hasn't shattered and fallen around us. If it's considered self-centered to want to realize better accessibility to businesses then fine. I'll fully agree to being self centered there. I have a grandmother on oxygen for...oh right what was that..smoking related lung cancer. She is going to die, she is dying every day in front of my eyes. Because of her oxygen tank and inability to breathe in those situations I couldn't say "hey let me take you to here" in lots of places in Kansas because they still allow smoking which irritated her already damaged lungs. She pays taxes like everyone else and should have the same access to public, non-member establishments everyone else does but indoor smoking prohibited that for her and so many others who suffer from very real illnesses and disabilities.

You want to talk about self centered? How about deciding the state owes you because YOU made the decision to open a business. Can't keep it open? Well, you chose to open it and if you can't keep it running under the state laws... maybe you either need to figure out a better product or just shut down and realize you failed to provide what the public wanted.

kansasmutt 5 years, 3 months ago

beobachter ) You will see when i go to file the paperwork. I am sure the media will be all over it. Don’t call me a liar. You can say you want to know what i own, , but to call me an outright liar, not a good idea. Trust me i own a business and have for some years.

kansasmutt 5 years, 3 months ago

Kimmy... Sorry to hear about your Granny, but she made the choice to smoke. I bet she wouldn’t change her choice for anything. Do I feel for you or her NO! Non Smokers die every day. I dont know her and have no feelings for her, sorry . My Granny and Grampa smoked for 83 years and never had a health issue at all.I have smoked for 38 years and no issues. I bet brake pads with asbestos caused your granny’s cancer. Might have been solder if she worked in a factory. You will not find a study on this planet that shows smoking causes cancer, not a real for sure fact study, only partial studies that guess at what causes it. As for a business that is non smoking, if you want to start one, your an American, invest your money and do it. You can keep smokers out, that is your right. I can allow smoking in my business and will for ever. My business is good, yes down some, but still making money, at least enough to blast this new law and kick it’s a#$. Also, you still show me and everyone you cant decide for yourself what stores to shop at or pass up. Not very evolved I guess. You say I am self centered, humm, i am going to bat for the 20,000 small businesses in Kansas, YEA I guess I am just thinking of me. PS: you can still go back to CA if you want, they are still there, just broke.

amrose42683 5 years, 3 months ago

"Border Ruffian: Now you no longer have the right to impinge on MY rights. And you are wrong, anyway. Now when you and your kids go out to a restaurant, not only will you NOT have the right to take away my right to breathe clean, unfouled air, but during the time you are in said restaurant, your body will have the luxury of a vacation from your filthy habit."

I'm pretty sure that this is an empty argument being that the Lawrence smoking ban prohibited smoking inside of restaurants.

"Merrill: Some say smoking and drinking go together. Most of the people I see drinking are not smoking no matter where I'm drinking."

kansasmutt 5 years, 3 months ago

beobachter ) naa your not worth the effort. This bogus law is well worth it though. For the initial start , a lawyer is not needed and may not need to be brought into it, but if so, i have one on standby. As for money, well if you have been keeping up with the post’s you would know there is $300,000.000 ready to be spent. ((((((mutt, I repeat. You are a flat out liar. You aren't smart enough to own a business or rich enough to hire a lawyer ))))) ((((( mutt, if you aren't a flat out liar, file a suit against me for defamation and prove it in court )))))) very nice.

kimmydarling 5 years, 3 months ago

Oh, I see. You're one of those mental giants who thinks smoking can't actually cause cancer.

Asked any of those other 20,000 small business owners if they want your "help"?

Meatwad 5 years, 3 months ago

Few people hate smoke more than me. Few people are as much in favor of indoor smoking bans as I am. HOWEVER... I am absolutely opposed to the "10 feet in front of a door rule". Smoke should be outdoors, where it's not affecting the health of the people in the establishment. Let them smoke outside. I hope this gets enforced about as much as jaywalking.

kansasmutt 5 years, 3 months ago

none2 ) I bet this guy never ate bacon , red meat or worked around lead, or any of the things that are proven to cause heart trouble. I have had two of the best doctors in the midwest tell me this smoking drama is all for the money that it brings in helping people quit. Chemicals in our meat , drinks and everyday life cause more problems than smoking do. Thats not the issue at hand though, CHOICE is the issue. People have a choice, or had it to be a smoking business , for the smokers, or be non smoking for that group. This is the part people are self centered on. All they want to do is stamp out smoking, well, smoking is not illegal. I dont drink, and i am never going to sit still for the state to banish drinking to only at home, it`s not right and hurts businesses. KIMMY) I think most any business owner would be happy to have help fighting this. Besides, if they want to be non smoking and not fight it, that is their choice. They can run a non smoking business like my smoking business. That is American CHOICE.

jafs 5 years, 3 months ago

kansasmutt,

It's interesting that despite numerous questions about what business you run, you have failed to respond to them.

Are you ashamed of your business?

Also, given the extremely addictive nature of cigarettes, it's a little bit funny to talk about "choice". Once one is addicted, it's not exactly a free choice.

generalsn 5 years, 3 months ago

Here in Chicago. local politicians are glad that the state "took the ball and ran with it" They don't have to pick on the bars and churches that their patronage workers use. "Call the state, it's THEIR law LOL

Richard Heckler 5 years, 3 months ago

This too is because the Lawrence smoking ban prohibited people from smoking indoors. It's pretty darn well known that you're not going to see people drinking at bars also having a cigarette in hand."

This was the case before the Lawrence restriction. This has been the case no matter which state I've consumed a beverage. If 80% are non smokers.....

If the breaking the addiction were easily accomplished more non smokers would be in our lives.

The 10' restriction will be difficult to enforce without a complaint. However it does provide those who wish to do this support. I've noticed signs making such requests of their patrons.

ralphralph 5 years, 3 months ago

Smoking is awful. Intrusive, mothering government is worse. "the greater good" = OMG

Sheila Martin 5 years, 3 months ago

The Governor has now stretched the truth past the breaking point. He is perfectly aware, as is this newspaper, that all this pro ban BS is funded by special interest. Perhaps he doesn't consider Johnson and Johnson and Pfizer and Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, special interest? The simple fact is that these companies fund smoking ban legislation FOR the purpose of promoting their nicotine replacement products; Nicoderm, Nicorette, Nicotrol, Nicoderm CQ, and Chantix. Money flows into Kansas through several supposed, non profits, including the Cancer, Heart, and Lung Associations, for the purpose of lobbying. The last grant to these three was $99,000,000.00. Tobacco Free Kansas last grant from this pharma was $1,200.,000.00. THe money for advertising comes in through the Kansas HEalth Foundation, in Wichita. From the same source. There are 100 lobbyists in TOpeka JUST from J&J and Pfizer. Add the paid doctors from the Cancer Society and Heart and Lung Associations, and the lobbyists from Tobacco Free Kansas to that. Everytime a government is bought off by this money, the demonization of smokers results in massive sales of nicotine replacement. When J&J bought Splenda, three years ago, the new "war" on sugar began. Splenda sweetened pop will not be taxed extra.

If there was some news agency who would tell this story, it would be shocking. The ad revenue from pro ban is desperately needed by newspapers. Unfortunately, it has corrupted the media, and they will not report on the hyped studies, the corrected studies, the lobbying for nicotine replacement, or the lies about business losses nationwide from smoking bans.

THe Governor's Party gets donations from these pharmas. Almost every candidate gets them. From the top to the bottom, the grant and donation spongers are sit, staying, and rolling over, for their masters in these drug companies.

If you want to quit smoking, do it cold turkey. Nicotine replacement KEEPS you addicted to nicotine, and that is the plan. Continually attempting to quit using nicotine replacement. This is WHY they are not lobbying to stop the selling of tobacco products. It would mean the collapse of nicotine replacement.

In the meantime, the Governor has been lying, as has the media. THis is NOT about your health. THis is about the bottom line of the Johnson and Johnson "family" of companies.