Archive for Friday, March 12, 2010

Legislators try to sound alarm about problems health problems that stem from obesity

March 12, 2010

— Legislators are trying to sound the alarm about the health problems associated with obesity, especially among some minority populations.

“This can be stopped,” said state Rep. Barbara Ballard, D-Lawrence. “Part of this is education, letting people know more about it.”

The Legislature is considering House Resolution 6017, which recognizes the prevalence of obesity in the African-American, Hispanic and American Indian communities, and its impact on heart disease and diabetes.

The resolution says there needs to be increased advocacy and access to treatment options for obesity, including the promotion of physical activity and healthy diet.

In Kansas, 35 percent of Hispanics and 44 percent of African-Americans were obese, compared with 27 percent of whites, according to the Kansas Department of Health and Environment.

The trends are evident early on with 11 percent of white children under 5 being overweight, compared with 16 percent of Hispanic, and 18 percent of American Indian children.

African-American and Hispanic parents are much more likely to feed children solid foods before the age of 4 months, allow them to drink sugar-sweetened beverages, and watch television more, according to a recent study funded by the Robert Wood Johnson foundation.

“These are all risk factors that contribute to overweight and obesity in children,” said Dr. Jason Eberhart-Phillips, state health officer and director of the division of health at the Kansas Department of Health and Environment.

“Addressing the health crisis in disparate populations in Kansas is critical,” he said. He said encouraging healthy eating and daily physical activity will help slow the increase in obesity.

Comments

ontheroadfitness 4 years, 9 months ago

I would like to help in any way possible! Whether it be advocacy, or just helping people get in shape, I know how obesity affects minority populations because, well, I was an obese minority just 10 short months ago! I'm Hispanic and weighed 285 pounds. At 5'6", that's well into the obese category. I was headed down the same path as both of my grandfathers. One died of a heart attack at age 60 and the other had diabetes and other health problems because of his weight problems. But let's not overlook the problem in non-minority populations as well! It's great that the legislature wants to do something, but let's try to include everyone, not just specific groups! :)

5thgeneration 4 years, 9 months ago

Did that title come from the Department Of Redundancy Department?

5thgeneration 4 years, 9 months ago

On a more serious note.......... get those kids into BMX!!!!!!

nobody1793 4 years, 9 months ago

Governor Parkinson signs into law the "No Fat Chicks" act!

Jeremy DeBoard 4 years, 9 months ago

Oh yeah, bring on the fast food and soda taxes.

audball 4 years, 9 months ago

Congratulations to ontheroadfitness. Fighting obesity is a hard battle, hats off to you for your success. After fighting cancer, then recurrent cancer, chemo, radiation, double masectomy, DEPRESSION, asthma, severe apnea, severe allergies and a greatly reduced physical lifestyle, I now weigh 60 pounds more than I did when 9 months pregnant with an 11 lb. baby. I found that my health insurance would pay for most medical conditions, including those contributed to by, or caused by obesity, but will pay nothing fo the treatment of obesity itself. Not for counseling, or excersise programs, or special diets or appetite supressants. If it has anything to do with weight lose, they don't cover it. I feel fortunate to have a decent health insurance plan, but it would seem to make more sense to help alleviate a person's weight problem before serious side effects develope, than to pay for the expensive treatments for cardio problems, diabetes, apnea, circulatory, joint, spinal, and/or nerve issues, to touch the tip of the iceberg. People living on lower incomes can't afford to buy the more healthy foods to help combate obesity. It's a lot cheaper to buy hotdogs and ready made soups, frozen pizza, etc. than to buy the fresh vegetables and fruits and lean meats that would be better to eat. And the cheaper foods can stretch farther. A package of hotdogs, couple of cans of pork-n-beans and a package of buns will feed a family of 4-5 for under $10. You can't do that with lean meats and fresh produce. Or a box of mac n cheese with hotdogs. Soft drinks are cheaper than fruit juices. I don't know what the answer is to this problem, but it's becoming a serious problem, for a fact.

Sunny Parker 4 years, 9 months ago

You can't fix stupid! How much tax money are they going to pour into this?

Sunny Parker 4 years, 9 months ago

Beo...you are a prime example of what the govt SHOULD be saving us all from. But like I said, 'you can't fix stupid'!

Be responsible for your own actions!

Phil Minkin 4 years, 9 months ago

to audball; I don't buy the argument that pre-prepared food or fast food is cheaper than fresh. I think the issue is one of lack of time or skill. Preparing dry beans instead of a can of pork and beans loaded with sugar and salt is far cheaper and tastier. You can make a hell of soup with soup bones and fresh, is season veggies for far less than anything Cambells has to offer even using frozen vegetables Oatmeal is cheaper than sugarry boxed cereal. In my 33 years of cooking for Head Start, I worked with many low income parents and showed them how inexpensively they could improve their nutrition. It takes a little more time and a little training, but it works.

jhawk0097 4 years, 9 months ago

Ditto that foodboy. Dry beans, brown rice, old-fashioned oatmeal, turnip greens, apples, celery, carrots, and eggs (among other things) are all healthy and cheap. Usually I can find some meat for under $1.60/lb as well. If one is committed to eating healthy, finding cheap food isn't a barrier that can't be overcome. However, I do think we've subsidized the hell out of junk food. At Dillon's you can get a container of around 60 off-brand oreo-type cookies for about $1.70 @ 80 calories per cookie. Yuck.