Archive for Thursday, March 11, 2010

Woman arrested after fight at east Lawrence bar

A 19-year-old Shawnee woman was arrested early Thursday on charges of aggravated battery after a fight at the 23rd Street Roadhouse.

March 11, 2010

A 19-year-old Shawnee woman was arrested early Thursday on charges of aggravated battery after a fight at the 23rd Street Roadhouse, 1003 E. 23rd St.

According to Lawrence Police Sgt. Susan Hadl, the suspect reportedly struck a 21-year-old female acquaintance in the head with a beer bottle after a verbal disagreement escalated. One of the victim’s friends helped fend off the suspect after the battery.

The victim suffered a head injury but declined medical treatment. The suspect was arrested on aggravated battery charges because the beer bottle was considered a weapon.

The woman was arrested at 12:21 a.m.

Comments

RKLOG 4 years, 9 months ago

We need to bring the roller derby to Lawrence.

LadyJ 4 years, 9 months ago

RKLOG ----LOL I'm assuming since you didn't move here until 1985, that someone told you the Roadhouse was a roller skating rink way back when.

thebigspoon 4 years, 9 months ago

And guess who owns the Roadhouse. Can you say, "Underage, out of town and violence"?

Jonathan Becker 4 years, 9 months ago

LJ World missed the real story last night. Six arrests in about 3 hours for Driving under the Influence. And KU has not even played yet . . .

grammaddy 4 years, 9 months ago

You can get in at 18 but have to be 21 to drink. How crazy is that.

grammaddy 4 years, 9 months ago

You can get in at 18 but have to be 21 to drink. How crazy is that.

BruceWayne 4 years, 9 months ago

This would NEVER happen in Lincoln! Just ask Jesse...Jesse knows.

CreatureComforts 4 years, 9 months ago

If the place has Roadhouse in the title, you know it's gonna be classy!

jumpin_catfish 4 years, 9 months ago

Do they still make Buckhorn beer? Now that was some funky stuff.

emptymind 4 years, 9 months ago

'Oh demon alcohol Sad memories I can't recall Who thought I would fall Prey to demon alcohol"

Ray Davies

trinity 4 years, 9 months ago

ok i don't get to lawrence much these days, especially out on e. 23rd...so, what bar was this exactly? is it the one that used to be coyote's or something like that? shiloh, in the way back days? just curious. wanna see where the underage beer bottle thumpin' gals hang out!

georgiahawk 4 years, 9 months ago

I am not sure that I would consider anything on 23rd to be East Lawrence as much as South Lawrence.

alm77 4 years, 9 months ago

consume, Dennis Steffes is the name you're looking for. He's stepped away from the general operations, so I'd say he's pretty far removed from this one. He's got someone running it for him now and the kid's a little green, but he's alright. Bar fights happen

hooligan01 4 years, 9 months ago

I wonder what they would do in Lincoln? Lets ask them since LJW wants to make them our role model.

Bladerunner 4 years, 9 months ago

Steffes is allowing Hip hop night. Here we go again.

lawthing 4 years, 9 months ago

cat fight between two beautiful trailor trash drunk women!

Boy that is such a turn on!

Steve Jacob 4 years, 9 months ago

Yes, it was hip-hot night. I will keep my mouth shut, because you know fights happen when they play country too. But why be on the police and licence people "radar" by playing the same music that got you in trouble in the past? That place has to make good money on weekends, is it worth the risk to lose that?

paisley 4 years, 9 months ago

@barrypenders My ex used to call east Lawrence...Budweiser Heights!

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years, 9 months ago

Roadhouse, the movie and the bar, has taught us the same valuable life lesson: All of life's problems can be solved by brawling.

SpunKey 4 years, 9 months ago

According the the county arrest log... the suspect ANIKA DANAE WITT (is this pronounced "Ah neaka den i (hitcha) WITT (a bottle)?) is being held w/o bail.

Yet they set bail for someone who accused of sodomizing a child!?

jehovah_bob 4 years, 9 months ago

Doesn't that girl know bottles don't break like in the movies.

Charlie Sabotage 4 years, 9 months ago

3 rules you guys, just 3. it's not hard. 1. Never underestimate your opponent; 2. Take it outside; 3. Be nice.

EARTHFIRSTER 4 years, 9 months ago

Roadhouse the new Granada! They are now hosting shows in Lawrence that no resident wants to go to. Violent people, violent music, violent outcomes. I've had enough already.

Joe Hyde 4 years, 9 months ago

The victim declined treatment because she was struck by lite beer.

K_Verses_The_World 4 years, 9 months ago

Night after night another bottle finds a head.

Night After Night - Bob Dylan

monkey_c 4 years, 9 months ago

Uh oh...anyone know where Anna uncovered is at??? Jailhouse??

somedude20 4 years, 9 months ago

this is why men are not allowed to wear Sex Panther by Odeon as is drives the women so crazy they fight and that is why it is illegal in nine countries, oh and it has bits of real panther in it (so you know it has to be good).

lawrenceraider 4 years, 9 months ago

i was there last night at the wiz khalifa show last night too. Security was pretty heavy, needed to be for as many people that were there. I felt safe in there especially with the pat downs being done for safety. I didn't know that 70-80% white people in a place made something hood though. It was a great hip hop show that HAPPEN to have a very small and brief fight. (between 2 GIRLS, WHITE GIRLS I might add)

I had a blast and would definitely go back again!

bearded_gnome 4 years, 9 months ago

Buck Owens Cigareets Whusky and Wild Wild Women Lyrics:

[Verse 1:] Once I was happy and had a good wife I had enough money to last me for life I met with a gal and we went on a spree She taught me to smoke and drink whusky.

[Chorus]

[Verse 2:] Cigareets are a curse on the whole human race A man is a monkey with one in his face So listen to me 'cos I'm telling you brother There's a fire on the one end and a fool on the other

[Chorus:]

Cigareetes, whusky and wild, wild women They'll drive you crazy, they'll drive you insane Cigareetes, whusky and wild, wild women They'll drive you crazy, they'll drive you insane.

[Verse 3:] Now I am feeble and broken with age The lines on my face make a well written page I'm leaving this story how sad but how true On women and whusky and what they will do.

[Chorus]

[Verse 4:] Write on the cross at the head of my grave "For women and whusky here lies a poor slave" Take warning, dear stranger, take warning, dear friend Then write in big letters these words at the end.

chorus...

Lyrics: Cigareets Whusky and Wild Wild Women, Buck Owens [end] Send "Cigareets Whusky and Wild Wild Women" Ringtone to your Cell

lounger 4 years, 9 months ago

This wouldnt happen if we had a hookah bar that had wacky weed...

bearded_gnome 4 years, 9 months ago

I wanna know: is there video of the fight?

any clothing get torn? hair pulled?
if there's video, I think ljworld as a public service should post it on the site!

womanhood on display.

plus, were these "ladies" fighting over a guy? let's see the guy?

fatheadff 4 years, 9 months ago

Junior is the kids name running the bar for Dennis. Dennis is still the owner and if you will the "Puppet Master" there. Really? They closed down Last Call so all the customers had to go somewhere. If Dennis isn't running the place the city cannot complain about him and his past bar problems. But when it was Coyotes it barely mad enough money to stay open. It was his tax break. Last Call was the money maker. You think he is going to let that money get away from him. Dennis and Junior are D bags and should not be allowed to run a bar. I know these two very well

independant1 4 years, 9 months ago

Share the guilt. Whoever gave her the loaded bottle is the culprit. She didn't know the bottle was loaded, it was an accident. The bottle's accelerater stuck. She threw her head at my bottle. The dog told me to do it.

Irenaku 4 years, 9 months ago

barrypenders, Well...let's differentiate between East Lawrence, as in the art ghetto with funky eclectic families and students, and east Lawrence, where this establishment is located....