Call me old-fashioned, but I was disappointed when “True Crime with Aphrodite Jones” (9 p.m., Investigation Discovery) didn’t feature a character played by Pam Grier. In the real world, outside of my florid imagination, Aphrodite Jones is a true-crime author and familiar talking head on cable channels dedicated to the continuous over-coverage of notorious crimes and infamous criminals that we know all too well. Or do we?
The premise of “True Crime” is to get inside the minds of monstrous killers, only proving that knowing the thoughts of perpetrators of the “unthinkable” is not always easy.
Over the course of the next 10 weeks, Jones invites viewers to revisit cases involving O.J. Simpson, the Zodiac Killer, Phil Spector, Chandra Levy and the Menendez Brothers.
On April 29, Jones turns her attention to the sudden and unexpected death of Michael Jackson, an event she theorizes is intimately linked to his exhaustive evasion of decades-old child-molestation charges.
• Rehabilitation as entertainment continues on “Sober House with Dr. Drew” (9 p.m., VH1), season 2. Just so we’re clear here, this second season features “graduates” of “Celebrity Rehab 3” and “Sex Rehab with Dr. Drew,” so it’s a slightly mixed bag.
Can those who flunk “Sober House 2” return for the third, fourth and fifth installments? I guess it depends on whatever arrangement Dr. Drew works out with their agents and publicity people.
• OK, it’s not “Sober House IX,” but “Supersize Steamship” (7 p.m., National Geographic) poses some serious issues. Jeremy Patterson has to haul the SS President, one of country’s largest and most celebrated steam ships, more than 100 miles over land.
When the 328-foot-long vessel proves too wide a load for conventional carriage, he’s forced to slice and dice the ship, transport it and piece the puzzle back together as harsh winter weather arrives to make a difficult job nearly impossible.
Tonight’s other highlights
• The top 12 emerge after four finalists get the hook on “American Idol” (7 p.m., Fox).
• Michael butters up the new boss (Kathy Bates) on “The Office” (8 p.m., NBC).
• An old case resurfaces on “CSI” (8 p.m., CBS).
• Liz believes she’s found The One on “30 Rock” (8:30 p.m., NBC).
• A poisoned scientist faces a ticking clock on “The Mentalist” (9 p.m., CBS).
• Larry David, Ricky Gervais and Madonna appear on “The Marriage Ref” (9 p.m., NBC).
• Fashion is always in fashion on “Project Runway” (9 p.m., Lifetime).