Archive for Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Armed robbery reported at Scooter’s Coffeehouse

Lawrence police are investigating an armed robbery reported at Scooter's Coffeehouse, 2005 W. Ninth Street, about 5:45 p.m. Wednesday.

March 10, 2010, 5:56 p.m. Updated March 10, 2010, 9:07 p.m.

Police investigate armed robbery at coffeehouse

Lawrence Police officers work at the scene of a reported armed robbery at Scooter's Coffeehouse, 2005 W. Ninth Street, late Wednesday afternoon. Enlarge video

Police investigate a robbery Wednesday at Scooter’s Coffeehouse, near Ninth and Iowa streets. A suspect held up two employees of the drive-through coffee shop at gunpoint Wednesday evening.

Lawrence police are searching for a suspect who held up two employees of a Lawrence drive-thru coffee shop at gunpoint Wednesday evening.

Officers were called to Scooter’s Coffeehouse, 2005 W. Ninth St., about 5:45 p.m. Wednesday.

Lawrence police Sgt. Mark Warren said the suspect, armed with a silver handgun, came into the building and robbed the two employees inside.

Police describe the suspect as a black male, between 5-feet-10 to 5-feet-11 inches, with a medium build.

Warren said the suspect was wearing some sort of hat and had a medical mask covering his face.

Police are still trying to determine how much cash the man got away with.

Anyone with information on the armed robbery is urged to call the Douglas County CrimeStoppers tips line at 843-TIPS.

Comments

Charlie Bannister 4 years, 1 month ago

paulette2 says "oh yea concealed carry would have solved the problem."

In spite of your obvious sarcasm, it may or may not have. However, if we ever get "open carry" here like Arizona and a few other states have, it WILL be an even more serious deterrent to most of the bad guys. Open Carry makes for a more polite society.

I laugh with glee when I think back to many Dems saying that the blood was going to run in the streets when we got concealed carry. Never happened. I knew it would not, because it never does wherever carry laws are enacted. Gotta love it.

Benjamin Roberts 4 years, 1 month ago

Jonathan - I noticed that the article was updated this morning. However, the update is not obvious (I have slept since I last read it). Would it be possible for updates to stand-out? Maybe a different color or font?

consumer1 4 years, 1 month ago

Middlemgmt, if while getting coffee there you hear the toilet flush, drive away fast. be careful of the pot holes. I know in Lawrence the term Pot hole usually refers to a house in east lawrence. But I am talking about the holes in the roads all over town.

middlemgmt 4 years, 1 month ago

I see some of you like the coffee. I can't get my mind around going there because it use to be the gas station bathrooms.

consumer1 4 years, 1 month ago

NO doubt the guy who pulled the hiest did it with a registered weapon. So, he should be easy to find. (Sarcasm for those of you who don't get it). Cause as everyone knows if we make law abiding citizens register their weapons crime will come to a screaching halt.

mdrndgtl 4 years, 1 month ago

Agreed Budwhysir, it's not armed robbery if he only shows the employees his handgun and said employees accidently drop all the cash in their drawers into his pockets.

Benjamin Roberts 4 years, 1 month ago

Irish (Leslie Swearingen) says… "... Did you know that cop is an acronym for constable on patrol? ..."

No, I did not know that. But, that is okay, since it is not true. http://www.snopes.com/language/acronyms/cop.asp

Jimbecile 4 years, 1 month ago

I heard that place was haunted. Concealed carry should scare off them ghosts

Flap Doodle 4 years, 1 month ago

Relax and have a popsicle, paulette. It's a cool and fruity treat on a winter day.

RobertMarble 4 years, 1 month ago

Budwhysir: "Beats life on the streeet"

....in Lawrence? yeah right...

jaywalker 4 years, 1 month ago

I wanna mocha and I want it now! Oh, and throw in one of those muffins and the $135 from the drawer, if you don't mind. Mercy buckets.

Usually I'd jump to the conclusion that such a small target was the work of an addict. But these days, with this economy.....

Not condoning, just sayin'.

budwhysir 4 years, 1 month ago

yep, you know times are tough when a guy holds up a coffee shop right down the street from a bank. I tend to believe it isnt the amount of money they can get away with it is the thrill of the project. If we had a little tougher laws might make a difference.

Probably not enough money taken to be classified as a felony, using a gun to commit the robbery, not sure might turn it to a felony but since he didnt do anything but show it to they people my guess would be a slap on the wrist and a free vacation with 3 meals and a shower for about a month. Beats life on the streeet

Melanie Birge 4 years, 1 month ago

As much as they charge for coffee!? yeah they had the $ So sad though, hope they didn't get away with to much money, Love the Coffee, and there Tea!

oneeye_wilbur 4 years, 1 month ago

now that place couldn't have had much money, really

Graczyk 4 years, 1 month ago

Why would I care what cop means, Irish? Anyway, that's as old as a doughnut joke.

paulette2 4 years, 1 month ago

oh yeah CONCEALED CARRY would have solved the problem!

paulette2 4 years, 1 month ago

WON'T be too long before ROBOCOP - 2016?

airgaurdsfs 4 years, 1 month ago

i was listing to my scanner and the suspect is to belived to be from derby.

Christine Anderson 4 years, 1 month ago

Good grief! If a person needs coffee that badly( and I do understand this), go to Hastings!

somebodynew 4 years, 1 month ago

@ notjustyoureverydayaveragetrol - Since nobody answered you question, no not related at all. (Now the robber could be.) Scooter's Coffee House is owned by the same people that operate that gas station and a couple of others around town.

sally87 4 years, 1 month ago

I'm going to hazard a guess that they were from Topeka.....It's usually Topeka.....or should I be saying Google

BruceWayne 4 years, 1 month ago

no fear Lawrence! The Batman is on the case...

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 1 month ago

Graczyk Cop and doughnut jokes are so yesterday. Did you know that cop is an acronym for constable on patrol? Do they have drive by coffee?

macon47 4 years, 1 month ago

just another pot smoker needing some cash for a fix

Graczyk 4 years, 1 month ago

I'm surprised there are so many cops there. Didn't think they served doughnuts.

But seriously, that is way scary and I hope everyone is okay.

nobody1793 4 years, 1 month ago

wow. In broad daylight at a busy intersection...and oh so many potholes to slow your get-away!

notjustyoureverydayaveragetrol 4 years, 1 month ago

any relation to the other infamous scooter