Archive for Saturday, March 6, 2010

Crews respond to Harper Street fire, one in critical condition

Children's Playpen daycare, 2421 Harper St., was damaged early Saturday by a two-alarm structure fire.

March 6, 2010, 3:29 a.m. Updated March 7, 2010, 12:41 a.m.

Emergency crews responded early Saturday morning to a two-alarm structure fire in the 2400 block of Harper Street.

The fire was called in about 2:22 a.m. at 2421 Harper St., which also houses Children's Playpen daycare. Smoke could be smelled and seen from blocks away and flames consumed the back side and much of the rest of the building, along with items in the backyard.

Medics were also called to the scene after it was determined people might still be inside the residence.

According to a media release from Lawrence Douglas County Fire Medical, the first crews on scene located an unconscious occupant. The person was removed from the building and transported by ambulance to Lawrence Memorial Hospital.

The person was stabilized there and later transported by air ambulance to Kansas University Hospital in critical condition.

No additional patient information was available Saturday evening.

The fire was declared under control about 3:55 a.m. There were no injuries to fire department personnel and all other occupants of the residence were accounted for.

The fire department estimated the blaze caused $160,000 in damages and classified the fire as accidental and due to inattentive cooking.


Kyle Miller 5 years, 8 months ago

I really hope everyone is ok! I just tried going down Harper to the Kwik Shop to grab a morning paper, and saw it was blocked off on both ends. Everyone is in my thoughts and prayers.

ajbeemer8605 5 years, 8 months ago

I just got home, which is really close by here... I really hope everyone is okay :(

bigdave 5 years, 8 months ago

Thank god the fire house was only a half block down the street!!

grammaddy 5 years, 8 months ago

Only one reason to go to KU Med. Burn Unit. I'd like to say it is the best in the nation. I hope they recover soon. I drive my grandsons past here every day on the way to school. Not a good sign when you're transported by air ambulance. My prayers go out to the family and all those affected by this tragedy.

kucourtsider 5 years, 8 months ago

I drive by there every day as well. What a sad incicdent and I hope the individual who was hurt recovers quickly. My thoughts are with them.

bking3o3 5 years, 8 months ago

I live right behind the house...we woke up at 2:30 to glass popping and called 911. We were the second ones to call in the fire. We got scared b/c normally there are kids there. Thankfully everyone was accounted for and our prayers go out to the survivor. I am betting it was the mother.

Hatterfam 5 years, 8 months ago

Right now I am in shock. My children go to Children's Playpen. I consider the owner of the daycare a friend. I am glad the kids are ok. My heart and prayers go out to the family and my friend.

femmefatale 5 years, 8 months ago

I am a friend and a neighbor, and I am absolutely heartbroke. You are all in my thoughts and prayers.

Paula Kissinger 5 years, 8 months ago

Right, Cheeseburger. Everyone on the LDCFM is at least an EMTI so they can assist victims medically and fight fires and do rescues. Learn something new everyday, eh Joe ?

jpreiner 5 years, 8 months ago

You are certainly correct in that medical units were already on scene. However when it was believed people may have been inside, additional units were requested.

Joe Preiner Reporter/Web Producer

Tootieonskates35 5 years, 8 months ago

My prayers are with my friend. The kids are all safe and thank God for caring neighbors!

Tootieonskates35 5 years, 8 months ago

My prayers are with my friend. The kids are all safe and thank God for caring neighbors!

anave285 5 years, 8 months ago

The victim is my cousin. I first of all want to thank everyone for their kind comments and prayers. I just heard from her brother and he said that she is on her way to surgery now and is showing improvement in her health. Please keep the prayers coming because God does hear them and He is more than awesome.

Trailridge 5 years, 8 months ago

Hi all I am posting this to let everyone know that we are taking up donations for this family. One of the family members is a co-worker of ours, and he is in need of some help. His daughters wear size 12-14 girls and the boys are a size 12 boys. They need clothes, toys, shoes, pj's, school supplies, everything. If you are able to help please drop items off at 2512 W. 6th Suite C Trailridge/Graystone office. If you are in the area and cannot drop off items yourself please call 785-843-7333 to arrange pick up. Thank you for all of your thoughts and prayers.

denine 5 years, 8 months ago

I know the family and the person that was hurt and I sincerely hope that they are going to pull through this. I am praying for you all and may God be with you.

femmefatale 5 years, 8 months ago

Thank You for the updates! We've been trying to find out how she was doing as well as how & where we could help! Still in our prayers!

NOBRN 5 years, 8 months ago

I was wondering if there was a local organization that we could deliver donations through. No offense Trailridge, just want to ensure that the goods are getting to the victims of the fire for sure. Thanks!

Tara Painter 5 years, 8 months ago

This comment was removed by the site staff for violation of the usage agreement.

frankiemd 5 years, 8 months ago

to caton 1982. ragarding the mesg. that no one was really hurt when you have to be lifeflighted I do believe that is serious. this was someones home and business. this person has kids that thank god were not at home. some people can make cruel commments. thank god that they are doing so much better. this can happen to anyone at anytime. no one is immune to this. this was an accident and a very serious one. comments should only be made if you no the true facts. srs can be called for any reason. investigations have to be made and proven for action to be taken.

hhtulsaok 5 years, 8 months ago

It's amazing how people react without knowing the true facts. The victims stove was worked on the morning of the fire. She had not used her stove at all because it had been broken. There is fault with the maintenance that was done. Just so everyone has an update on the victims condition, she is improving daily with a lot of prayer. Thanks to everyone for the concern and prayers. Please keep praying. She has a long road ahead of her.

basser21 5 years, 8 months ago

are you sure that is really how it went. wow,hope she is doing better

Commenting has been disabled for this item.