Emergency crews responded early Saturday morning to a two-alarm structure fire in the 2400 block of Harper Street.
The fire was called in about 2:22 a.m. at 2421 Harper St., which also houses Children's Playpen daycare. Smoke could be smelled and seen from blocks away and flames consumed the back side and much of the rest of the building, along with items in the backyard.
Medics were also called to the scene after it was determined people might still be inside the residence.
According to a media release from Lawrence Douglas County Fire Medical, the first crews on scene located an unconscious occupant. The person was removed from the building and transported by ambulance to Lawrence Memorial Hospital.
The person was stabilized there and later transported by air ambulance to Kansas University Hospital in critical condition.
No additional patient information was available Saturday evening.
The fire was declared under control about 3:55 a.m. There were no injuries to fire department personnel and all other occupants of the residence were accounted for.
The fire department estimated the blaze caused $160,000 in damages and classified the fire as accidental and due to inattentive cooking.