Archive for Friday, March 5, 2010

Kansas House to take up debate on Senate’s resolution concerning states’ rights

March 5, 2010

— The Kansas House will consider a states’ rights resolution criticizing the federal government for being too intrusive.

Speaker Mike O’Neal said Friday that the House probably will debate the measure next week. Its Judiciary Committee endorsed the resolution on a voice vote Thursday.

The nonbinding resolution declares that Kansas claims its sovereignty under the U.S. Constitution’s 10th Amendment. The amendment says powers not specifically granted to the federal government are reserved for states.

The resolution demands that the federal government stop threatening states with the loss of funds if they don’t take certain actions.

The Senate already has adopted the resolution, but the House committee changed some language.

If approved, the resolution would be sent to congressional leaders and members of Kansas’ congressional delegation.

Comments

Charles L Bloss Jr 4 years, 9 months ago

Nonbinding, that is why this is no more than a joke. It should be a law in KS and every other state. Thank you, Lynn

yourworstnightmare 4 years, 9 months ago

The do-nothing Kansas legislature again tackles the tough issues facing Kansas.

Bruce Bertsch 4 years, 9 months ago

The fun part of this is that its non-binding, meaning that onece again our legislature is tilting at windmills while ducking responsibility.

Bruce Bertsch 4 years, 9 months ago

orbiter 4 years, 9 months ago

Thank God these brave souls are out there insuring the freedom of those that chose not to get health insurance to be subsidized by those of us that do!

I will gladly pay higher and higher premiums to keep the feds out of health care!

I hate paying taxes to the government to subsidize freeloaders, but my liberty organ pulses when I get to subsidize freeloaders by way of the private sector! It makes me feel like I'm strangling Mao with one hand and Obama bin Hitlerstache with the other on a pile of dead polar bears as acid rain rejuvenates my skin!

SpunKey 4 years, 9 months ago

As someone who lived in Lawrence for over 30 years and now finds myself out in the real world - PLEASE STOP MAKING KANSAS LOOK SO BACKWARDS AND IGNORANT!

When people ask me where I'm from they only think of three things: a) the dank, black & white scenes from Wizard of Oz, b) flat, forever driving I70 in western Kansas, and c) the famous "lets take evolution out of schools" stint. Now I'll have this to choke down too. Believe me the rest of the US will be pointing at Kansas and using the "R" word (again)!

Nobody cares what Kansans think. Kansas doesn't have enough tax dollars, population or industry to gain respect from the rest of the US. Written, unsolicited feedback is juvenile at best. If you really want action, get more states to do this at the same time!!!!

Who the heck introduced this bill anyway? Have they ever been outside Kansas?

What a waste of time and money......I feel bad for the US Reps and Senators who will have to choke this down with me! Can we fast forward 'til this blows over?

georgiahawk 4 years, 9 months ago

If Kansas does not want to do what the federal government funds them to do, then don't take the money! Pretty simple! This resolution is smoke and mirrors, trying to cash in on the tea-bagger movement! Weak, very weak!

Ralph Reed 4 years, 9 months ago

Ernst Stavro Blofeld (1971): "As you see, Mr Bond, the satellite is, at present, over Kansas. But if we destroy Kansas, the world may not hear about it for years."