Archive for Friday, March 5, 2010

Baylor’s Griner suspended

March 5, 2010

— Brittney Griner, the dunking freshman sensation for the No. 14-ranked Baylor women’s basketball team, has been suspended for two games after throwing a punch that broke an opposing player’s nose in a Big 12 game.

Bears coach Kim Mulkey said in a statement issued late Thursday that Griner will be suspended for one game in addition to a one-game suspension mandated by NCAA rules.

Griner was automatically suspended for Baylor’s next contest, Sunday’s matchup against No. 18 Texas in Waco. Mulkey’s additional one-game suspension will force Griner to miss Baylor’s Big 12 tournament opener on March 11 or 12.

The Big 12 tournament is next week in Kansas City, Mo., and Baylor is all but guaranteed a spot in the NCAA Tournament the following week.

In the written statement from Baylor, Griner apologized to “the Lady Raider team, my teammates and coaches, the fans and the game of women’s basketball.”

On Wednesday night, she punched Texas Tech’s Jordan Barncastle in the face after the two players tangled in the second half of Baylor’s 69-60 win in Lubbock.

Comments

mom_of_three 5 years, 1 month ago

It was a roundhouse punch that cleared the benchs. Barncastle was called for the foul, and Griner went right back at her. In the video, you see a male Baylor coach just bearhug Griner from behind and drag her off the court.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 5 years, 1 month ago

She should have been suspended for the remainder of the season, and probably charged with assault and battery.

cowboy 5 years, 1 month ago

Being Baylor , they are lucky they didn't get murdered

mom_of_three 5 years, 1 month ago

Commentators were talking about what should happen to her and asked this question. If this was a male player, a top player, who hit another player during a game, what would happen to him? Would we know about it? Would people make a big deal?

Larry Bauerle Jr. 5 years, 1 month ago

" If this was a male player, a top player, who hit another player during a game, what would happen to him? Would we know about it? Would people make a big deal?"

Don't jump on the "it's only because she is female" bandwagon, just yet. See the Oregon football player, who did the exact same thing, and lost almost the entire season. She was let off very easy.

mom_of_three 5 years, 1 month ago

Not jumping on the bandwagon, only stating what the commentator said.
And I think the punishment for the Oregon football player, who was later reinstated, was a little too harsh to begin with. 3 or 4 games perhaps, but the entire season? And I do think Griner's punishment is a little light. Maybe the entire big 12 tournament? And she also ought to go to anger counseling.
She is a teenager, and of course, they don't think correctly all the time. The oregon player was how old? No excuses for their behavior, but they were both being taunted.
It would be interesting to see the punishments for punches and see if they consistent.

mom_of_three 5 years, 1 month ago

Everyone is split on this issue. There obviously is no right answer, and it was in the heat of the moment. Kick her off permanently- no. rest of season - would have been better, althought the team would be punished more than griner.
Balance of regular season, big 12 tourney, and 1st game of ncaa tourney - if the team can't win without her, then they don't deserve to be there anyway. But I think baylor is a decent team.

mom_of_three 5 years, 1 month ago

mom_of_three 5 years, 1 month ago

notajayhawk 5 years, 1 month ago

mom_of_three puts up post_of_three.

(That seems to be happening around the website today.)

Jonathan Kealing 5 years, 1 month ago

Beo--

We're working on it. It's actually our search index that's slowing things down. We have a new server in our hands, we just don't have it wracked and configured yet. Hopefully once that happens, things will be faster. Again, we share your frustration.

Jonathan Kealing Online editor

headdoctor 5 years, 1 month ago

beobachter (anonymous) says… Jonathan, understand. I deal regularly with users who think their computer is always too slow. And they compound their problems with repeat clicks and not waiting for response.

It isn't just people getting in a hurry with their computer. I put the post below on another thread that I doubt anyone would see. I am using Firefox and it keeps timing out so hitting resend is about the only option and if you don't hold your mouth right you get to retype your post. The new format search seems to be missing some ability especially on older post searches so speeding it up isn't going to make it suck any less. What is listed below is a double post and I only hit send once. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I don't know if I would blame your computer just yet. The New LJW server, etc doesn't seem to be what it was cracked up to be. At times it screws up as much or more than the old one, and part of the search engine/layout of the new format is back to suck mode. I have had enough trouble with the browser even finding the site or switching from one thread to another that it isn't hardly worth the time to mess with. I don't know what happened to the speed it had over the old one when it first launched. Either way I am treating this site like a car. If I have to spend more time under the hood than I do driving it, I ditch the car for another one. Like wise with this site. There are days I just leave it alone because it isn't worth screwing away the time waiting for it to not work.

Just like this post. It has taken 6 attempts to get this far. I have no idea how many more tries it will take to post. Either way I am just about done with this crap. I have better things to do than stare at a computer screen waiting for something to happen.

jayhawkself 5 years, 1 month ago

once a thug always a thug. try this in real life and go to jail. do this on the court and get 2 meaningless games. as Al Davis of the Raiders says JUST WIN BABY.

headdoctor 5 years, 1 month ago

beobachter (anonymous) says… headdoctor. might want to do a little checking on your computer. I use firefox exclusively. My gripe with site is slow, think their search function is miserable. Firefox has never yet timed out.. I keep latest version of firefox always. Currently using on Win 7 OS with 4gb ram and no problems with any site on speed except LJW.

I had to wipe my drive and reinstall in the last two weeks. I don't have the horse power yours has but LJW is the only thing that has been a problem. If it were other sites as well I would be taking a good look at my machine.

headdoctor 5 years, 1 month ago

beobachter (anonymous) says… headdoctor, sounds like you've checked it all. The LJW site needs to do something to speed up site. Think a lot has to do with underpowered servers and trying to load too much video and ads on pages. Since they are primary dns hub for all of us and primary connection to web, need to give us more bandwidth. Also spouse running win 7 with 8gb ram and has same problems with LJW speed.

Yup. I have three computers that I can use for LJW. Two use the newest version of Firefox and the other one the newest IE. None of the three work right with the site. I often wonder if Zedo isn't sucking up more from the system than it should be. I trust Zedo.com about as far as I can throw a bull by the tail.

Katara 5 years, 1 month ago

jkealing (Jonathan Kealing) says… Beo--

Jonathan Kealing Online editor ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I've diagnosed your problem. You are wracking your new server instead of racking it. Please PM for my fee schedule and the address to send payment. I accept checks, money orders & cash.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/wrack http://www.thefreedictionary.com/rack

headdoctor 5 years, 1 month ago

Must not be hardly anyone on line right now. The site is moving 10 times faster than it has been. Sigh, as far as the search modes go, !0 times 0 is still zero. I liked the part on poster comments where I could go backwards several pages at a time instead of just one at a time.

whats_going_on 5 years, 1 month ago

I think she should have been out for the season honestly. If it were a guy, depending on the guy, I think the punishment would have been similar, maybe worse, depending on the team/coach. It reminded me of that whole soccer drama last year.

Graczyk 5 years, 1 month ago

It was pretty blatant. She had to take a few steps to even reach the other player. And that's saying something for a person who is 6'8"! It needs to be more than 2 games.

Scruggsy 5 years, 1 month ago

Ahhh come on now. In the heat of the moment, tempers can flare. Two games is enough for a 1st offense.

notajayhawk 5 years, 1 month ago

headdoctor (anonymous) says…

"Sigh, as far as the search modes go, !0 times 0 is still zero. I liked the part on poster comments where I could go backwards several pages at a time instead of just one at a time."

Just manually change the number at the end of the url in the address bar. For instance, change

...com/users/headdoctor/comments/?page=2

to

...com/users/headdoctor/comments/?page=27

or

...com/users/headdoctor/comments/?page=275.

(Note: From the first page of comments, you'd have to enter the whole '?page=' and a number.)

Not too sure this problem is just from people clicking 'Post Comment' more than once. I saw a comment repeated a few days ago where the second incidence showed up after several other posts had been made - but the time stamp was still the same (yes, the time stamp was earlier than the posts that appeared before it).