Archive for Thursday, March 4, 2010

Parkinson will announce more budget changes

Governor Mark Parkinson is getting ready to reveal plans that would help the state budget. He will discuss the possibility of more budget cuts Friday.

March 4, 2010, 4:39 p.m. Updated March 4, 2010, 4:39 p.m.

— Gov. Mark Parkinson has scheduled a news conference for tomorrow to announce further budget adjustments in light of the February revenue shortfall.

Over the past year, officials have cut nearly $1 billion from a $6.4 billion state budget as Kansas fell into the national recession.

When the 2010 legislative session started, lawmakers faced an estimated $400 million shortfall for the fiscal year that starts July 1.

But problems have continued. In February, the state fell $71 million under previous estimates.

Comments

Pogo 4 years, 1 month ago

EyeonKansas (anonymous) says… (THREE times no less)

I worry it will be state workers who will be cut. I'm a state employee, haven't seen a pay increase for years. Even if there is a cost of living it is taken away by paying more into insurance, KPERS, etc. My husband was laid off from a private sector job and took on some lower paying jobs just to help but we are behind in all our bills. If I loose any pay we will likely have to apply for benefits. I understand public employees have the potential to employee cuts just like the private sector, but unlike the private sector... everything in public service still has to occur. When things are financially hard in the private sector there is an increase reliance on state programs... and if state employees are furloughed then guess who isn't going to be around to process applications, answer questions, etc. +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Do you even understand what a "furlough" is....as implemented by other states?

It's a couple of days off PER MONTH.

Thank you....

Pogo 4 years, 1 month ago

EyeonKansas (anonymous) says… (THREE times no less)

It's a couple of days off PER MONTH.

Thank you....

Pogo 4 years, 1 month ago

EyeonKansas (anonymous) says… (THREE times no less)

It's a couple of days off PER MONTH.

Thank you....

PosseComitatus 4 years, 1 month ago

Rogue, My "terrible" screen name comes from medieval Latin which literally means power or authority of the county.

Please tell me how many state agencies need bomb teams? How many state agencies need to have surveillance aircraft?

RogueThrill 4 years, 1 month ago

Aside from your terrible name, PC, you don't seem to know what is going on. The KBI fills a jurisdictional hole in between the county and federal jurisdictions. Additionally, they perform duties for local and county law enforcement that those local organizations cannot afford or continually fund.

PosseComitatus 4 years, 1 month ago

I think the first thing someone looks to cut would be duplicated services. If you have a shortfall in your home budget you might shut of your land line phone and keep your cell phone.

Looking at the big picture the greatest duplication of service I see across the state is the KBI. Don't we pay taxes to the city, county and federal government for these services already?

EyeonKansas 4 years, 1 month ago

EyeonKansas 4 years, 1 month ago

EyeonKansas 4 years, 1 month ago

macon47 4 years, 1 month ago

America

The only country where we have homeless people without shelter, children going to bed without eating, elderly going without their needed medications, and the mentally ill going without treatment - Yet we have a benefit for the people of Haiti on 12 TV stations, ships and planes lining up with food, water, tents, clothes, bedding, doctors and medical supplies.

Imagine if we gave ourselves the same support that we gave all other countries.

I feel bad for them, but who cares about America

Pogo 4 years, 1 month ago

Furlough state workers, including Regent's institutions staff.

Several other states have found that giving state employees some much needed time off (albeit without pay) is doing wonders for their respective budgets.

Let's give furloughing of state paid employees a try......couldn't hurt.....

somebodynew 4 years, 1 month ago

My guess is that my (and several thousand other underpaid workers) paycheck will become even smaller. (sigh)

irishlad33 4 years, 1 month ago

I am getting tired of getting my paycheck whacked year after year, month after month, day after day. Why not whack Bill Self's salary to about half. 3.5 million a year minus 1.75 million equals 1.75 million. Probably could get a few million more in endorsement tax for the Stupid Burrito Bill commercial and the granite countertop commercial, and whatever else. He would still be a millionaire so he could still have his arrogant ego. That way maybe I could eat more than just ramen noodles, hot dogs, and macaroni and cheese. In fact.....How about whacking all the KU's administrations salary in half. There....State Budget crisis fixed!!!!!!!!!

Richard Payton 4 years, 1 month ago

My wallets bare hope he doesn't want a tax increase!