Archive for Thursday, March 4, 2010

Matthew Jaeger sentenced to nearly 9 years in prison

Victim expresses relief over verdict

Matthew Jaeger, 24, is handcuffed by Douglas County Sheriff's Sgt. Ken Fangohr in Douglas County Court after being sentenced by Judge Robert Fairchild to 106 months for kidnapping, aggravated battery and criminal threat, stemming from an attack on his ex-girlfriend, Mary Francis Biggs in October 2007.

March 4, 2010, 5:26 p.m. Updated March 4, 2010, 8:50 p.m.

Mary Francis Biggs, 24, is hugged by her brother John Biggs, 26, after Judge Robert Fairchild sentenced Matthew Jaeger to 106 months in prison for kidnapping, aggravated battery and criminal threat, stemming from an attack on Biggs in October 2007.

Matthew Jaeger: Guilty Verdict

More coverage of the trial of a former Kansas University student accused of beating and kidnapping his ex-girlfriend.

Jaeger sentenced to nearly nine years

Matthew Jaeger was sentenced to nearly nine years in prison for crimes against a former girlfriend. Jaeger will serve consecutive sentences for his crimes. Enlarge video

Francie Biggs stood up and made sure her voice was heard during Thursday’s sentencing of her ex-boyfriend Matthew Jaeger.

And the outcome was not just a victory for her, but she believes that it should serve as a victory for battered women everywhere.

“I ask that the penalty be as profound, as personal and as punishing as the crime he committed against me,” Biggs, 24, said in a tearful plea to Judge Robert Fairchild.

Jaeger, also 24, was convicted by a jury in August of kidnapping, aggravated battery and making a criminal threat, stemming from an attack on Biggs at her apartment in October 2007, that resulted in brutal injuries to her vaginal area.

Fairchild listened to more than three hours of arguments and testimony from members of both the defendant’s and victim’s families before handing down a penalty close to the maximum sentence.

Fairchild sentenced Jaeger to a total of 106 months, running all three sentences consecutively.

“There’s nothing I can do to undo what was done,” Fairchild said.

The punishment was just five months short of the maximum sentence requested by Assistant Attorney General Jason Hart.

Hart asked the judge to consider several aggravating factors, including the excessive brutality of the crime and the fact that the victim, who was choked to the point of unconsciousness, was incapable of defending herself against Jaeger.

“He doesn’t fight clean,” Hart said. “He fights girls, and we absolutely know that he hits below the belt.”

Defense attorney Pedro Irigonegaray was seeking a lighter sentence, filing a motion asking for a departure from the state sentencing guidelines.

Irigonegaray called a number of witnesses, including Jaeger’s psychologist, the undersheriff at the Douglas County Jail and the probation officer who handled Jaeger’s supervision while out on bond to show Jaeger has been an exemplary inmate while in custody and followed all requirements out on bond.

“The person I’d heard about and read about was not the same young man,” clinical psychologist Kathie Nichols testified of her impressions of Jaeger, saying he was taking his drug and alcohol treatment very seriously and looking ahead to finishing college.

Fairchild denied Irigonegaray’s motion, then listened to pleas from Jaeger’s relatives.

One after the other took the podium, painting a very different picture of the defendant.

“I know from the bottom of my heart he would never intentionally hurt Francie,” Matt’s mom, Ann Jaeger, told the judge. “Treat him with mercy and leniency so he can continue to rebuild his life.”

Jaeger’s two sisters described their younger brother as a fun-loving uncle who played the guitar to their children and would help anyone in need.

And Jaeger himself addressed the judge, continuing to maintain his innocence.

“Francie was injured before I went into her apartment,” he said, reading from a prepared statement. “I’m left with many unanswered questions. I don’t want to blame the jury, but sometimes a jury makes a mistake. This jury made a mistake.”

Following the sentence, the victim said she was relieved and hoped to put the horrible incident behind her. She said she hoped her case would give other victims of domestic abuse the courage to come forward.

“It felt so good to stand up and be heard,” Biggs said. “I say to women who are trapped in that situation now, you can be heard. I was heard and I won, and they can win, too.”

Comments

Richard Payton 4 years, 10 months ago

Not long enough for the crimes he committed!

Richard Payton 4 years, 10 months ago

Not long enough for the crimes he committed!

pace 4 years, 10 months ago

Sorry he got so little time, he will be out courting too soon for my taste.

wowzers 4 years, 9 months ago

can u read? max sentence on his convictions was 111 months, he got 106 months, pretty much max judge could give him.. I agree tho, he very lucky it wasn't attemped murder charge. GREAT NEWS THOUGH!!!

wowzers 4 years, 9 months ago

What I want to know: Is it 9 yrs with parole? or 9 yrs without parole?. I HOPE THE LATTER OF THE 2

ebyrdstarr 4 years, 9 months ago

wowzers, he will be subject to what is called postrelease supervision. For his crime level, that period should be 24 months. He will be eligible for good time credit up to 15%, but whatever good time credit he earns will be added on to the length of postrelease supervision.

ebyrdstarr 4 years, 9 months ago

Should have checked the statute before posting: He'll get 36 months postrelease supervision.

Reuben Turner 4 years, 9 months ago

well i be.... i wondering if he's gonna meet up w/ Eddie Reed in there? i wonder?

Phil Minkin 4 years, 9 months ago

I hope his cellmate is a 6'9" 280# guy named Bubba who is very lonely

ThoughtPonderer 4 years, 9 months ago

Hallelujah! Wish he had gotten more time and an attempted murder charge, but I'll take this for now. Usually sickos like him will hang themselves if given enough rope, no matter how much money daddy has or how smart he and his family think they are.

wowzers 4 years, 9 months ago

when u say 36 months post -release, does that mean 106-36? Or he will serve 36 months then be eligible to be released?

ebyrdstarr 4 years, 9 months ago

The 36 months is after the 106 months. The 106 months is in prison; the 36 is after he's released from prison.

seekingtruth 4 years, 9 months ago

I find it hard to believe that someone who she had sex with earlier in the day and texted him right before this happened that she was in trouble and the only reason he went over there,could have done this according to the reports of the media. Am I missing something because I know them BOTH!!!!

leafblower 4 years, 9 months ago

seekingtruth: You're missing something.

puddleglum 4 years, 9 months ago

lawrenceguy40 sounds like the whiner.

Matthew will probably be disowned, since he is adopted.' then he will be a liberal poor kid and you can go to bed happy.

F/O

bearded_gnome 4 years, 9 months ago

the best part of the article: Matthew Jaeger, 24, is handcuffed by Douglas County Sheriff's Sgt. Ken Fangohr, on Thursday in Douglas County Court after being sentenced by Judge Robert Fairchild to 106 months for kidnapping, aggravated battery and criminal threat, stemming from an attack on his ex-girlfriend, Mary Francis Biggs in October 2007.

---the best word: "handcuffed."

106 months less some for "good behavior if he has any?
so ybird, the min prison time he'll do is abot 7 1/2 years?

I don't think that Matt Jaeger is going to cope well with being in prison. I expect that not only will he experience violence and threats from other inmates, the greatest distress for him will be the regimentation, the imprisonment itself together with his impulse control trouble. expect is likely he will earn criminal charges while in prison.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 9 months ago

Francie Biggs, thank you for the courage to stand and allow yourself to be identified during the trial and now at sentencing.
Thank you for speaking what you knew to be true from the torture you experienced!
Thank you for being the best possible example of how a victim can take control and push the legal system for justice.
Your courage is the example. God bless you and care for you.
/gnome

OldEnuf2BYurDad 4 years, 9 months ago

LG40: Trauma doesn't bring CLARITY. Ever hear of disassociation? She's lucky to have ANY memory of the events.

What's your deal, dude?

fudgystuff 4 years, 9 months ago

So glad he got what he deserved, but wish it could have been a longer sentence..How can we request that he's not located in a prison near his family?? Let's make it hard for family to visit him...Somewhere far away from Chicago.

leafblower 4 years, 9 months ago

You're on the wrong side of this one, lawrenceguy.

anyonelistening 4 years, 9 months ago

Hey Lawrenceguy... Why would she want to make all this up? For the humiliation? For the embarrassment? So she could be dragged through the mud. I know she jumped on the bedpost over and over again until she was injured enough for several surgeries and weeks in the hospital. All this self injury and made up stories so she could??? I know she wanted him back? Seek Revenge? Yes that must be the real reason for all this! Poor Matt caught in her web just the wrong place at the wrong time. Accusations like this is why so many victims never come forward and fight. She stood up for herself and fought back. Looked her assailant in the eye day after day. Sat in the same room for weeks. And has waited years for him to pay for his crime. She has a life to live and I for one hope she lives it well! Her courage and determination should be applauded not questioned. Only the best in life to you Francie!

wowzers 4 years, 9 months ago

lawrenceguy, some people lived in lawrence for college, looks like ur talkin trash on ur self lol I dont even live in ks, so don't assume every one on this board is a lawrence liberal

wowzers 4 years, 9 months ago

and u r so jaded its not eve nfunny lawrence guy..... something not right with u

anyonelistening 4 years, 9 months ago

Anyone know where he will be sentenced to and how soon he is moved there? I assume wherever he goes will be much tougher than county jail. He may not be such a model prisoner there.

Olympics 4 years, 9 months ago

He beat a woman. His wealth has nothing to do with this.

Stay classy Lawrenceguy40, stay classy.

wowzers 4 years, 9 months ago

The reason people say the "rich kid," is b/c 97% of people could not have afforded to put Francie through the the long drawn out torment and anguish she had to endure,and delay justice for 3 years.....She set the record for "longest person being on the stand" in ks,I believe, and she was the victim! Lawrenceguy you need to come to the realization that this is not some fabricated story. Believe me, I knew him, and witnessed his barbaric behavior. You are just plain igonorant for being so far from the situation and NO NOTHING ABOUT IT, to make such accusations. This is my last post, justice has been served, sianara

wowzers 4 years, 9 months ago

anyonelistening 4 years, 9 months ago

Real class act homan23. And what did Matt do it for?? Sounds like you guys are buddys-you gonna miss him?

Danimal 4 years, 9 months ago

LG40, would you be on this message board whining about "due process of law" if he was a "poor kid" or "black kid" or maybe your daughter was the victim? Matthew Jaeger had his day in court, and was tried before (and convicted by) a jury of his peers. Maybe he's innocent? But if he is, especially considering that he has far more resources at his disposal than the average defendant, his attorney did a very poor job. This judgment took the better part of three years to hand down, I don't think that there's anything hurried about that.

Try to look at the bright side LG40, if he is innocent, he'll be even richer when he gets out. If not, he will do his time and repay his debt to society. I think that our whole community (and especially the victim) is fortunate that the LPD pulled his friend over when they did.

anyonelistening 4 years, 9 months ago

Anyone else notice that his mother did NOT say that Matt would never hurt Francie She said he would not intentionally hurt Francie. I think that speaks volumes! His own mom could not say he did not do it. Matt should have sucked it up and apologized. He owes her that.

kawvalleybulldog 4 years, 9 months ago

they're gonna like his new long hair in the slammer

wowzers 4 years, 9 months ago

homan23, u sound really bitter. hmmmm. now this is my last post

i know who u r

anyonelistening 4 years, 9 months ago

What are you studying ho-man? Can you have a civil discussion? Do you know Matt? Why so adamant he was innocent? Why so angry? What is your side of his story? Did you never see him brutally beat someone for fun? Many of us saw this time and again. Did you never hear him brag about his brutality and power? Many of us heard it. Tell us about the Matt you know

leafblower 4 years, 9 months ago

Tell us more about the Latin Kings, homan.

Ray_Finkle 4 years, 9 months ago

wowzers 4 years, 9 months ago

admin must be sleeping.... homan u don't want to cross paths with me boy, i take ur last comment as a threat.

I am not going to stoop to ur level, this thing is sowed up, i'm going to bed, keep talking trash u sleez

wowzers 4 years, 9 months ago

1029 4 years, 9 months ago

I'm pretty sure that I just saw a coyote run across the street carrying a baby in its mouth. Never saw that before. Glad I decided to look out the window.

anyonelistening 4 years, 9 months ago

Ho Man i believe you are right Matt is a "lion" a lyin liar. I guess you do know him. Good Night Thats the Matt I knew too. Hope it is a different Matt after his rehabilitation.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 9 months ago

lawrenceguy40 (anonymous) says…

BG - you forgot to thank her for her remarkable ability to recall several different versions of that night's events.

---LG40, you sir are a lizzard, lower than the lowest slime. apparently you like repeating Pedro's smear exaggerating normal variation in recall of events!

LG40 you are the reason why it is hard for victims of comestic violence, male and female, to come forward. you imply she was purposely messing with the justice system? riiiight!
I stand by my praise for Francie Biggs! You exemplify why she needed courage to come forward, and push the system.
shame on you Lguy40. do you getyour excitement attacking victims? well do you?

anyonelistening 4 years, 9 months ago

Well said BG! I hope Francie sleeps well tonite . Justice has been served and she won't have to face him again for years. I believe she is strong enough that she will be there at each parole hearing and letting him know that she will not be afraid of him anymore! Sleep well tonite Francie you have earned it the hard way and with courage.

Bridgett Wagner 4 years, 9 months ago

Is it just me or have about a dozen poorly trained monkeys spontaneously learned to type and made a collective decision to start posting in the ljw comment sections this evening? Reading this jibberish is making my head hurt. Or maybe it's my braincells begging for the torture to end.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 9 months ago

LG40, I challenge you to go back and read my comments on the Jaeger trial and early at the time of arrest. She is lucky, and alive today, because that car was stopped headed out of town!

I did protest his father's behavior. I did link his behavior to possibly a rich daddy's permissive parenting. I did say that wealthy daddy was getting sonny boy far better representation than most of us would get. ever heard of O.J. Simpson LGuy?
so, no, not his class, but what he and his daddy were doing with their money, was what I criticized. in the end, high priced lawyer/scum and throwing a lot of money around didn't help.

LGuy, you think yourself some kinda expert? your past posts evince a lot of paranoia about authority. they don't suggest you have much legal education or experience, that is unless your experience was while you yourself were in custody?

name calling? you are calling a victim of a horendous crime a lyar! lGuy, if you can't take criticism of that, then why do you bother to post? simply put, you called Francie Biggs a lyar, manipulative, and vindictive. further, you imply she purposely inflicted the injuries on herself!

again I say: you are what makes it harder for victims to come forward to expose domestic violence!

Shame on you Lawrenceguy40. Shame on you.

Darrell Lea 4 years, 9 months ago

bridg137 (anonymous) says…"Is it just me or have about a dozen poorly trained monkeys spontaneously learned to type and made a collective decision to start posting in the ljw comment sections this evening?"

No, it's just the normal noises around here. Different page, different monkeys. Pretty typical of the level of discourse this particular on-line community seems to support.

Ray_Finkle 4 years, 9 months ago

Why is it a violation of the rules to post that Homan23 needed to sober up? He was on here spewing garbage about the victim and throwing around homosexual slurs.

topflight 4 years, 9 months ago

Jim Williamson 4 years, 9 months ago

“'The person I’d heard about and read about was not the same young man,'” clinical psychologist Kathie Nichols testified of her impressions of Jaeger, saying he was taking his drug and alcohol treatment very seriously and looking ahead to finishing college..."

What I don't understand is how a licensed (I assume) psychologist could be so easily manipulated by someone who is clearly sociopathic.

And shame on you, Pedro, for putting this woman through this. As an advocate for women's rights, you should know better.

yankeevet 4 years, 9 months ago

Moral of the Story............dont be messin around with them womens.................

Grundoon Luna 4 years, 9 months ago

daman 4 years, 9 months ago

Kathy Nicols is Pedro's "hired gun". Do some checking yourself, she testifies on behalf of most of Pedro's client's. Of course she's going to say good things about his client's, otherwise the gravy train stops and she might have to actually get her client's herself. As for Pedro being an advocate of woman's rights? Says who? He's an advocate of the $, plain and simple.

gogoplata 4 years, 9 months ago

If it was my daughter he did that to I'd consider the death sentence.

labbadabba 4 years, 9 months ago

a lot of hate here.

This is all very sad.

preebo 4 years, 9 months ago

Well done, DA's office and District Court on serving the interests of justice in this matter.

BigAl 4 years, 9 months ago

Lawrenceguy40 is somehow blaming "liberals" for this. Liberal or conservative has nothing to do with it.

It appears to me that the logic of Lawrenceguy40 would lean towards excusing the terrible actions of this young man simply because he is from a wealthy family. Again, wealth or the lack of wealth has nothing to do with this. Jaeger was convicted by a jury and in the minds of most people, he is guilty and should feel fortunate that he is only serving 9 years.

"liberals" caused this.... what a crock.

I don't know him but maybe in LG40's world, it is ok to beat up women. It wouldn't surprise me.

NY152 4 years, 9 months ago

I hope he and Bubba become very good friends.

BigAl 4 years, 9 months ago

gogoplata.... I agree 100%. If this were my daughter, I would probably be the one going to jail.

BigAl 4 years, 9 months ago

NY152.... With any luck, that will be arranged.

somedude20 4 years, 9 months ago

topflight (anonymous) says… lawrenceguy40 sounds like a typical liberal attorney here in the douglas county area. please, stop blessing us with you ignorance.

lawrenceguy40 (anonymous) says… "Remember, when he gets out, Matthew will still be a rich kid and the liberals in Lawrence will still be living their poor, whiney lives!"

might want to rethink what you posted their TF! In the name of the father,son and holy spirt, thank you for the blessing

monkey_c 4 years, 9 months ago

brdg137 - Is it just me or have about a dozen poorly trained monkeys spontaneously learned to type and made a collective decision to start posting in the ljw comment sections this evening? That's kind of insulting to monkeys.

kneejerkreaction 4 years, 9 months ago

I still find it amazing that anyone could have voted for Obama. So, I guess it's not unusual to have LG40 on here spewing about poor Matt's victimization because of his wealthy family.

I don't understand why the charges were not oriented more toward attempted murder. Ms Biggs is lucky to be alive. At least no one bought his preposterous story. I don't think he's going to fare well in prison, which is fine, 'cause if he gets out, next time he'll be sure to not leave any evidence behind. He needs to go away for good.

perryproud 4 years, 9 months ago

Francie, thank you for standing up and telling your story. Maybe this will make women stand up and realize they don't have to pushed around, or threatened, or belittled. If what you've done makes even one woman say hey, I don't have to put up with this, than you've succeeded. I can't imagine what you went through but I personally am very proud of you. Keep your head up and keep smiling. You didn't let him win.

anon1 4 years, 9 months ago

I hope Ms. Biggs can move past her horrible ordeal and live a good life.
Matt deserves to go to jail, even IF he has turned his life around. I am not excusing his horrible actions and he deserves to go to jail, but there are so many people who have done worse, made 0 effort to reform, and gone away for shorter.

What is really sad about this page is the venom produced by all commentators. Few of you express hopes/praise towards the victim just insults at each other and pain on the criminal.
I don't believe LG40 has ill will towards Lawrence or women (that is just ridiculous) but he does have a valid point that the commentary on this page is all about people attacking this kid as an outsider. And although everyone wants to blame and admonish the Jaeger family, wouldn't any of you do what you could to help your children in this situation? Hire lawyers, get professional counseling, do anything to make sure your son doesn’t go to jail 9 years? Prison is hard, there's no need to wish "bubbas" on him. He will suffer, as will his family, without your immature 'hopes'. The truth is also that the Lawarnce comunity's reaction was one of persicution.

peace to Ms. Biggs and her family.

Jim Williamson 4 years, 9 months ago

"As for Pedro being an advocate of woman's rights? Says who? He's an advocate of the $, plain and simple."

Pedro's firm is here in Topeka, so I run across him every now and again. I can't speak to how greedy he is. I do know that I don't see any holes in his shoes or the elbows of his suits getting shiny.

He's well-known for being a vocal advocate for the rights of women, GLBT and minority groups. He's one of the few around here who finds the Phelps cult repugnant and is willing to say so out loud and for the record.

Then again, he may have found a pigeon from the North Shore with too damn much money who were willing to believe their sociopathic son and decided to build a new vacation home on their dime.

kneejerkreaction 4 years, 9 months ago

anon1 (anonymous) says… What is really sad about this page is the venom produced by all commentators.

Anon, amazing that you would be surprised at the venom. You have clearly been successful in your mind in separating the perp from the act. He pummeled her privates with some type of knife. Think about it. He choked her, she was passed out and while she lay there he repeatedly hit her in the crotch. Really, just think about it. What kind of person could do a thing like this? An animal, sociopath as some say, certainly a weak individual and a violent bully.

I still can't believe no one in the apt. complex stepped forward when they were dragging her by the hair to the car.

Yes, the Lawrence community's reaction was one of persecution. What should it have been? And I think everyone wishes Ms Biggs a full recovery. Jaeger's conviction (albeit light IMHO) is a good step in the right direction. Whatever happens to him in jail, he deserves, 100%.

Jimo 4 years, 9 months ago

Pointed out to lawrenceguy40 before -- but for his wealth, this guy would be well into serving his term in prison already. The only influence money has had in this trial is to tip the scales in his favor. Can anyone imagine how hopeless this cause would be if the guy was poor and black with a public defender?

Irigonegaray does a lot of good work in general but I guess the money for that other work comes from wealthy families' willingness to part with their cash to try to get their wayward children off from responsibility.

ldawg 4 years, 9 months ago

Thank you all for commenting and redirecting all the media hype away from me! Especially since it is a done deal and justice has been served. Please continue.

-Coach T

afraidnot 4 years, 9 months ago

As far as Pedro goes, I think it is rather impressive and commendable that he took the case and worked hard for his client despite being an advocate for women and minorities. I would imagine most defense attorneys don't support the crimes their clients have committed, but defendants still deserve a trial or the justice system would fall apart. Is it easy to take on a case where the charges go against your moral system? Probably not, but he has chosen that path as a career and is able to set aside his personal life and beliefs for the advocacy of his client.

I would think a victim would feel more at peace knowing the defendant had a good defense and was still found guilty, rather than the possibility and excuse of a defendant only being found guilty because he had a bad defense attorney. We should feel grateful to Pedro for providing Jaeger with an excellent defense, as it offers more closure.

Did he make a lot of money on the case? Probably. But let's not forget that he isn't a volunteer or a public defender, but rather the best defense attorney a wealthy family could find. Why shouldn't he make a lot of money? And who (let's be real here) wouldn't want to make as much money as possible for a job they're already doing?

kneejerkreaction 4 years, 9 months ago

Afraidnot, I beg to differ. Lawyers should be held to some moral standard, not just "getting their client off". That's not justice, it's some travesty of justice ala OJ Simpson and is neither just nor right. Pedro brought in liars as "expert" witnesses and they lied because he paid them to lie. I don't commend defense lawyers who knowing lie & incent their clients to lie.

I fiind it disgusting. In this case, however, justice was served, in spite of Pedro.

anyonelistening 4 years, 9 months ago

So how long before Matt is sent to prison rather than jail. Where will he be held? Are court transcripts available to the public? We all have had to make our decisions on personal experience and second hand recounts. I for one would like to see what was actually said in court.

afraidnot 4 years, 9 months ago

As far as LawrenceGuy's comments, to a certain extent I have to agree with him, although not regarding Jaeger's innocence. I leave the determination of guilt or innocence to a jury since I didn't sit in on the trial, and I'm certainly not one to judge guilt or innocence based on newspaper articles. So if the jury says guilty, then yeah, he's guilty. BUT, I do think LG is on to something regarding Jaeger's wealth.

I am disappointed to see comments about the "rich" kid, or judging his family, etc... because what parent wouldn't bail their kid out of jail if they could afford to? Every parent who hasn't been in the situation can think "not me," but I would call a BS on that until you've walked the walk. What parent wouldn't pay for the best defense money can buy if they could afford it? Same answer. As in all parts of life, the wealthy and their children have luxuries that others do not. Condemning and judging someone for their wealth and what they provide for their children with that wealth really only comes off as jealous and bitter.

In my opinion, the passion and hatred the comments have expressed throughout this case are disproportionate to the crime. I think there are two reasons for that. The first is Jaeger's wealth, which I have already discussed. The second is the nature and location of Bigg's injuries, which certainly makes this a horrific case. But, women are victims of domestic violence every day. Every day a woman is beat up, some days women are killed by acts of domestic violence. Was Jaeger's crime worse than murder? No, but you don't see this extent of hateful and passionate comments in a domestic murder case. And there has been at least one in Lawrence in the last 3 years! So why is that????

kneejerkreaction 4 years, 9 months ago

"The passion & comments are disproportionate to the crime"? You're probably right. Castration would have been a much more fitting punishment than jail.

gatekeeper 4 years, 9 months ago

afraidnot - regarding your comment about the location of the injuries - YES, that does create more passion and hatred. Any guy that attacks a woman is a low-life piece-of-sh*t. This jerk was trying to make sure she was never able to be with another guy again. Do you remember the outrage with that chick cut off her cheating husband's penis? Same kind of thing.

Sorry, but if my child had committed a barbaric crime, I wouldn't bail them out. I would be so ashamed that I raised someone like that. How this guy acted is in part a result of his upbringing. I think lower of his parents for raising this piece of trash.

His being rich I think did affect his attitude. He's had a life where he got what he wanted and was spoiled. When he couldn't have Biggs, he was going to make sure no one else did.

9 years isn't enough. They need to tattoo on his forehead what he did so he doesn't get the chance to inflict this kind of harm on anyone else.

Ms. Biggs should be applauded for her bravery. I hope she sues that family for pain and suffering.

Cait McKnelly 4 years, 9 months ago

Ms. Biggs is truly a hero and should be lauded. More than gaining justice for herself, she gained justice for other women. She showed us it could be done. Although Pedro has done much for women and the GLBT community, the very nature of this crime made my cognitive dissonance meter go off the charts when he took the case. Was he being hypocritical or in some very subtle way was he making a statement? I can't speak to his reasons but it left me with a feeling of being betrayed. As for Jaeger, I keep thinking about the fact that he was adopted. Is he a "bad seed"? How much is nature and how much is nurture? No one can say how that night would have ended for Ms. Biggs had the police not intervened but I do feel that they probably saved her life and that there is a great chance that they saved Jaeger from committing a crime that would have given him a lot more time (as well as his buddy driving the car). As far as I know, though, Jaeger still hasn't taken responsibility for what he has done so I doubt he is grateful for that little fact.

XGFSMOM 4 years, 9 months ago

For all the people on here that think that Matt did nothing wrong. I know him & he can be very charming but so was Ted Bundy. Matt is a perfect example of a kid that has been in trouble & his parent used there money to get him out of trouble, but not this time.I think his parent sent him to KU so they didn't have to deal with him. He is a manipulator to the ultimate degree. I hope & Pray that Francie. Who is the nicest, sweetest one of the most innocent people I know. He took complete advantage of how fragile she was. She deseves Millions of Dollars for all the pain & suffering she has gone thru. She lost 20 pounds thru the trial. & will get nothing finacially (she can't afford to). Matt has a rage in him that came out that night. He Violated her most personal areas why she lay there unconcious. Francie is very lucky that she survived & he didn't throw her in a ditch to bleed to death. He knows what he did & so does his family. God knows what he did too!!! I hope that the emotional scars that Francie has will fade & that she has nothing but wonderful things happen the rest of her life.

purplesage 4 years, 9 months ago

Any surprise that Irigonogaray is the defense attorney on this one? He sure turns up on a lot of unpopular cases, defending those accused of awful thngs. I hope some of them are worthy of a defense. Lawyers who take on high profile, because they can pay the outrageous fees, cases like this one make the profession the butt of so many jokes and disdain.

Bucker00 4 years, 9 months ago

Unbelievable that anyone would defend this man or excuse his actions. How could anyone believe that someone who has undergone the trauma that this poor young woman has would either, 1. Lie about who brutalized her, putting an innocent away and letting the real monster go free, knowing that he is still out there and could return, or 2. Inflict such grave, and permanent injury to herself for no other reasn than to unfairly imprison this perfectly nice fellow.

Matt Jaeger bought it, now he owns it. He should be thankful the sentence doesn't carry a higher maximum penalty. He deserves more.

Cait McKnelly 4 years, 9 months ago

Evan Carrol obviously has a cushy job in a family owned business which he will most likely inherit someday and drive into the ground. God knows I've seen it in my own generation. I'm sure his family had their own phalanx of lawyers backing up his deal to "testify" for the prosecution in return for having charges dropped. Too bad the state got a raw deal on that one. "....Jaeger — who’s been his friend since kindergarten..." It's apparent that Carrol has been the puppy to Jaeger's bulldog for almost his entire life. Bullies are nothing without at least one loyal follower.

evanc 4 years, 9 months ago

Well cait48 you have a creative mind , your play on words and jumps to conclusion should be awarded. I have never been charged with any crime in lawerence kansas in my whole life. I have never been arrested for any crime in lawerence kansas. I have never made a deal with state prosecution. Sent from my blackberry with respect to the emotions of this whole process.

evanc 4 years, 9 months ago

Protect me from what ? How come francys mom shook my hand at the hearing ? Maybe the news should report on actual events

evanc 4 years, 9 months ago

Have you ever seen a fireman go into an apartment with a blazing fire ? People jumping off balconys to get away, people hiding behind there blinds waiting for cops to save the day ? Insulting people is a fun thing to do if your life sucks.

anyonelistening 4 years, 9 months ago

Can anyone tell me where he will serve his sentence and when he will be sent there. I just checked and according to the Sheriff's website he is still in Douglas County Jail. How much longer can he postpone serving his sentence? This happened in 2007 and he is still in county jail

anyonelistening 4 years, 9 months ago

evanc Are you saying that Matt was the fireman going into the blaze? Or was that you going to help after Matt broke in. Is that why her mom shook your hand? Please tell us what else the media did not report.

evanc 4 years, 9 months ago

The media has reported this painting pictures of Matt Jaeger climbing up stairs like a Satan demon, (since when is fast walking climbing? ) The media left out the fact that Francy took 45 min to get out of the stopped car. (Does a kidnapped person sit in her kidnapper’s car for 45 min while the cops ask her questions???) THAT’S A LITTLE TASTE.

evanc 4 years, 9 months ago

How do you drag someone down stairs when they are walking??? How do you kidnap a person who tells you directions to a hospital you have never been before to??? How do you take anyone serious who doesn’t know what happened to them. How much do you think the detectives on this case added to the actual story???

anyonelistening 4 years, 9 months ago

Perhaps she couldn't get out of the car or was afraid to. If someone is rushing to the hospital why wouldn't you tell the cops you had to get this severly injured person to the hospital and talk there? Why not mention the hospital? Perhaps she was too afraid or unable to get out of the car. I believe she had to be taught how to walk again due to her injuries. And I am not surprised at all that a person knocked unconsious can not recall what happened to her while she was out.
If the intentions were good why not tell the truth about where you were going and where all the blood came from Why the need to make up a story. Only raises more questions. But at least you are trying to get the other side out there in the public domain and ansering some questions.

evanc 4 years, 9 months ago

Why tell the cops anything when you get pulled over. I asked for an attorney right away due the the severity of what I just witnessed? People going through windows and girls screaming for help is something that makes me nervous. Stopping a situation and driving away shaking and confused is something you must know a lot about? Decision making under the influence of alcohol and drugs is sharp right?

evanc 4 years, 9 months ago

Smitty : It's more to do with what didn't happen. How you manage a chauffeured trip home from the officer (Polson, previous drunk driving problems of his own) that stopped the car without even a ticket?

=How do you drag someone down stairs when they are walking??? =

Figure it out or we will be reading about you again.

tvc 4 years, 9 months ago

Wow! Evan, I thought you were a coward, but it turns out you are a douche.

evanc 4 years, 9 months ago

Smitty you say your from chicago ? keep your identity a secret

thomgreen 4 years, 9 months ago

Hmmm....that sounds like a veiled threat.

somebodynew 4 years, 9 months ago

@evanc

Your best bet at this time is to get off this post. You are doing NOTHING to help either you or your friend - but then again you should probably stay on her as you deserve to be in jail as "bunk buddies".

"Did you see the police video ??? 5 hours of interviewing sobers people up ... a dui charge would not allow me to be a witness. " At this point, I think you are a FRAUD poster. Number 1- you would be charged for your condition "before" the 5 hours, and Number 2 (most important) you WERE a witness. You just changed you story to try to help out.

Hope you got your money from Daddy, BEFORE the verdict and the sentencing. Cause if you didn't, he probably ain't givin' you squat now.

I hope you are back in Chi town, and if you are really Evan, I hope you rot in H*ll. You two were out to dump that poor girl (who you can't even spell the name correctly) in a ditch in the county, so you can not make yourself look better. You are a POS and everyone knows it.

evanc 4 years, 9 months ago

Do you think lawerence cops didn't do there very best on this case ? Nola wright told you to clap for them , if you think evan carroll lied his was around 20 detectives your crazy . If you think for one second the finger was pointed towards me from francy that I wouldn't be charged . I got nothing to hide and all the answers from that night . I didn't go out of my way to testify everything because both sides didn't want somethings discussed . Give me a usage violation again and I will not post on this site

anyonelistening 4 years, 9 months ago

So tell your side of what happened if you can. But do it in a way that it won't be removed. Most of us want the truth. Whatever that may be. probably somewhere in between. you knew matt and know he was capable of violence and you knew matt and know how he cared for francie you know matt and you were the only one there who can clear up or confirm what happened. put all the guessing and assumption to rest and tell everyone what you think happened. I am listening

evanc 4 years, 9 months ago

The truth of what happened is two horrible to even type . The news , media , police , and victim will never know what took place justice has to be served since a younman is in jail for 9 years . A I showed up on this site only to vent parts of the truth and to clear up my side of the street . For people to post my employments website and insult me as a person was enough for me to stand up for myself. Francy has always been a sweet person to me and my family I wish her the best . Matts anger was for dylan jones that night , its to bad he didn't stay to defend his big mouth.

franjescia 4 years, 9 months ago

Thanks, I went through Hell, but I did it, in hopes that no one gets what I got. Simple as that. It is sad. It is so sad. But I had to do what I had to do, no one should know that side of life from his hands(or anyones for that matter), is like. I would feel the guilt if I did not stand up, I did what I believe in. THANK YOU for the ones who stand by my side. I will never forgert your support, you all kept me strong.. GOD BLESS.

franjescia 4 years, 9 months ago

Don't judge me on my typos. lol, Judge me on my actions. (it's hard to post a comment or 2 about our personal LIFE..,A bit nervous as it is voulnerable...and this is my world, welcome to it.)Gnome, I like you. and many others, you all kept me stong. Thank you, ~Francie Biggs

franjescia 4 years, 9 months ago

Somebodynew, you are right, he is just not worth our time. EVAN, if you were getting attacked/murderd, I would have tried to save you, GET OFF this blog, and be gald you are not charged with being the helping hand in a barbaric crime. GIVE ME SOME PEACE! I have prayed for it. LET IT GO!

franjescia 4 years, 9 months ago

somebodynew 4 years, 9 months ago

" Give me a usage violation again and I will not post on this site

March 9, 2010 at 8:55 p.m. ( permalink | suggest removal ) "

Please, Please<Please, accomadate this idiot and give him another usage violation. Personally, I would like to give him another type of violation, but that is a different story.

@franjescia - Hang tough !!!! We support you and know you are correct.

evanc 4 years, 9 months ago

you make me sick , have another hamburger

evanc 4 years, 9 months ago

helping hand to you , pray about not having your mind and story changed to mold a detectives idea . Pray that when you called me your hero on recording you believed it , pray that your story has not changed in order to add more punishment to Matt

evanc 4 years, 9 months ago

I CANT STRESS ENOUGH " STORY CHANGED 4 TIMES "

evanc 4 years, 9 months ago

SOMEBODY NEW DONT EVER FANCY YOUR SELF AS KNOWING ANYTHING ABOUT LAW. Your logic is childish and uneducated Its tough to charge someone for a crime they didnt commit Its even harder to have a trial with a witness who has a charge from the same event. DUI was small potatoes compared to what happened to Bigsss.

xfactor 4 years, 9 months ago

Going to the hospital or going to get pizza? Which was it?

evanc 4 years, 9 months ago

Mac are you the other word for happy ? i mean come on your out in left field acting like a complete libby

evanc 4 years, 9 months ago

Police its me Francy , Evan and Matt are taking me to my death , lets talk for 45 min while i hang out with my " kidnappers " what makes me sick is this was what there realationship was about abuse . Both of them took me hostage that night with there behaivior , it makes me want the throw up that I WAS EVEN FRIENDS WITH BOTH OF THEM. Smitty your always on here throwing my name under the bus. Its funny your cant get over how rich I am and how I do not commit crimes .

evanc 4 years, 9 months ago

maybe you should go to ALLSTARS and get a job , your spending to much time infront of the computer . tiffffff

imastinker 4 years, 9 months ago

LJWORLD - isn't it time to shut this down?

I don't even know what the deleted comments said, but the ones that are left seem a lot like harassment of this poor girl.

imastinker 4 years, 9 months ago

LJWORLD - isn't it time to shut this down?

evanc 4 years, 9 months ago

your early posts back in 2007 smitty , you say your from deerfield . Stay a secret , you know how bannockburn and riverwoods people dont like gossipers

evanc 4 years, 9 months ago

You aided and abetted a felony act. You sound like your decision is bothering you. So, are you still a party boy or are you through with the seedy wild oats segment of your young life?

if you help a felon commit a crime in the USA you get charged with a felony. I never got charged with a felony becuase i didnt commit a crime . How many times do we have to go over this 20 dectives , 3 different prosectors never pointed any fingers at Evan CARROLL

somebodynew 4 years, 9 months ago

Well evanc, you are correct no prosecutors pointed a finger at you. Like you said in a previous post - they need a witness, which is probably the only reason they didn't. Although from the sounds of your testimony they probably should have filed perjury charges against you when the trial was over.

AND, about one of your previous responses to me not knowing much about the law - HaHaHa. You obviously don't know anything about me. IF you actually had any friends or acquaintences on here (I really don't think anyone here likes you) I would tell you to check me out with them. But, most of them that know me wouldn't give you the time of day (not the phrase I wanted, but didn't want the post removed).

evanc 4 years, 9 months ago

Yeah give the guy who's story has been the exact same since day one the your a liar card . Do you think your logic makes any sense ? Do you have any clue what a jury trial is even like ? How come you think I care about your friends liking me. This is my last post , for the record of this blog of media news ....... Matt jaeger is guilty of 1 crime and 1 crime only . You figure out witch one it was

somebodynew 4 years, 9 months ago

Well what I read about your testimony did NOT match what I heard you told detectives. Not saying it was lying, just carefully re-wording to downplay Matt's actions.

And to me it is easy to figure out what crime Matt is guilty of - - Attempted Murder !!!!. I honestly believe that he and you (maybe unwillingly/unknowingly ??) were on the way to a dark spot in the county to dump her and let her die. Remember that for the rest of your life.

BYW- I know spelling has gotten really bad lately, but has KU lowered theIr standands that far that you actually graduated and still write like this?????

jonas_opines 4 years, 9 months ago

Wow, this takes violation of Forum Rule Alpha to a whole new level.

Forum Rule Alpha: Nothing good comes from reading comments on articles you have a connection to. Nothing good comes from signing on to defend yourself or the aquaintance in question.

chicagotruth 4 years, 9 months ago

FROM THE COMMENTS POSTED BY EVAN CAROLL IT IS CLEAR HE IS A DEGENERATE! HE RECENTLY WAS ARRESTED IN HIS HOME TOWN OF DEERFIELD ILLINOIS FOR A DUI AND POSSESSION OF COCAINE! THIS IS MR. CAROL'S 2ND DUI IN HIS HOME TOWN THE FIRST WAS WHILE HE LEAD THE POLICE ON A HIGH SPEED CHASE THROUGH THE SUBURB. THE KID HAS GOT MORE CHANCES THAN A CAT WITH 9 LIVES BUT APPARENTLY DOESNT GET IT! PLEASE DONT WASTE YOUR TIMES GETTING ANGRY WITH HIM BECAUSE HE WILL MOST LIKELY BE LOCKED UP IN A SHORT TIME

MoronCarroll11 4 years, 9 months ago

chicagotruth 4 years, 9 months ago

Ain't that the truth MoronCarroll11!!!!! Amen Sister

MoronCarroll11 4 years, 9 months ago

Don't remove my posts. I only speak the truth to educate the readers of ljworld.com. Evan Carroll is a menace to society. Lock him up and throw away the key.

chicagotruth 4 years, 9 months ago

Our love and support goes out to beautiful Francy!!! Ur a gem keep your head up! Life is good for people like you....people like Matt, Evan and Kip will never be happy and or safe anymore....

MoronCarroll11 4 years, 9 months ago

I agree with chicagotruth. Good man. DeerfieldKipper is an unsavory fellow as well.

Kyle Reed 4 years, 2 months ago

Wow. Maybe he did go back since he hasn't posted since March 18th. I'm guessing you didn't notice this was from 7 months ago?