Archive for Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Kansas’ congressional leaders urging Obama administration to address leadership issues at Haskell

March 2, 2010, 1:04 p.m. Updated March 3, 2010, 12:00 a.m.

Four members of the state’s congressional delegation are pushing the Obama administration to address leadership concerns at Haskell Indian Nations University.

The elected officials — U.S. Sens. Pat Roberts and Sam Brownback, R-Kan.; U.S. Rep. Lynn Jenkins, R-Kan., and U.S. Rep. Dennis Moore, D-Kan. — sent a letter Tuesday outlining ongoing concerns to U.S. Interior Secretary Ken Salazar.

They say they have been pursuing answers since October regarding alleged “mismanagement of personnel,” “ethics violations” and other “alarming reports” involving Haskell.

The lawmakers have yet to receive any response from Interior’s Bureau of Indian Affairs, they said, and that’s why they are seeking information from Salazar himself.

“I have heard from many Kansans regarding the lack of leadership at Haskell,” Roberts said in a statement. “After speaking personally with Secretary Salazar, I am hopeful we can now get answers to these serious questions. We must work to ensure Haskell students are getting the quality education they deserve.”

Roberts and his colleagues said they were writing to “express deep concern regarding troubling issues” at the school, which has 1,077 students from about 40 states and from about 140 tribes. Haskell’s president, Linda Warner, retains her title but has been sent on “temporary assignment” out of state since September.

Lawmakers expressed concerns that Warner’s efforts to start two new degree programs were dropped last year, when interim leaders canceled visits from an accreditation team.

But Venida Chenault, Haskell’s interim president now that last semester’s interim president, Chris Redman, has returned to work in Oklahoma City, cited the university’s “flat budget” for the past decade as the main reason for halting the degree efforts. Haskell’s annual budget is $14.4 million.

“Our work throughout the 2009-10 year has focused on ensuring that we’re using limited resources efficiently and effectively to meet the needs of tribal people,” she said.

Comments

ssakcaj 4 years, 6 months ago

Didn't Haskell's current inept boss, Birdwell, put out a memo stating that Haskell employees were not to respond to the press and to direct all inquiries to her office? Hmmm...

geekin_topekan 4 years, 6 months ago

"flat funding..." ++++ So now its funding? I thought I heard an AIS student say that they were tabled to fine tune, revise and polish the programs. So committed to the programs that they were willing to visit far away lands for "listening sessions". And now they say its because funding is flat? Something just doesnt add up.

Could it be that funding for individuals would be compromised if the new degrees would be approved? Could it be that travel and "PhD" funding would be compromised? "Research" funding would be compromised, therefore they must maintain the status quo?

I do believe that funding is the issue behind all of this. I do not believe that the greater good of all Haskell students is what is at stake though. Prove me wrong.

notanmsw 4 years, 6 months ago

What about external funding? State universities are seeking outside funding sources and have used other means to assist with their efforts to provide quality education. How much money has Haskell brought in externally? Or is the current acting adminstrators relying on the government to fund them and their jobs while students and their educational opportunities suffer? How proactive are the people in charge looking at other funding sources? What has their Board of Regents done to lobby for more funding? And are they doing this out of their own pocket? How much money have they brought in to the school? There are still lots of questions and the BIA/BIE have proven they can't provide any sound statements or answers to actions/decisions that have been made in the last several months. Let's see if Secretary Salazar's office an provide answers now.

jungle 4 years, 6 months ago

Finally thank-you, Senator Pat Roberts. Why is Vendia Chenault making ANY comments to the press? Stephanie Birdwell has her under a media gag. Vendia should be fired for this.

ssakcaj 4 years, 6 months ago

Summarizing points that jumped out at me...

"The letter notes that they have been pursuing answers since October," neans that members of Congress can't get a straight answer from the BIE for over five months.

The next two paragraphs are killers:

'The lawmakers assert that there appears to be “no clear line of authority” at either Haskell or the Bureau of Indian Education, which also is part of Interior.

“We have been unable to determine who is in charge,” they said, in their letter. “The resulting lack of leadership has caused chaos and confusion to the detriment of HINU employees and the students, who are our primary concern.” '

There is no one in charge. There is a $15 million federal institution in Lawrence, with no one at the wheel, and even worse there is $2.325 billion federal bureau with no one in charge.

Our tax dollars at work.

I do want to thank our bipartisan congressional delegation for doing the right thing and looking into this.

snowing 4 years, 6 months ago

I remember when Venida Chenault was running around telling people that she fired Don Bread because he disobeyed a direct order isn't that what she has done today by talking to the media?And isn't that what Dan Wildcat did earlier this semester? No way around this one Stephanie Birdwell / Larry Echohawk you must treat all of your employees equally so Venida Chenault and Dan Wildcat must go.

snowing 4 years, 6 months ago

By the way great job Senator Pat Roberts.

drillsgt 4 years, 6 months ago

vendia is saying money or flat funding is the problem. What about those coaches and people who work with the sports program, who did alot of work trying to get grants for school programs, were told that vendia will not support them because she feels that Haskell does not need them. I think when people like vendia hear of other workers at Haskell trying to do something good for the school , she shuts them down , calls them friends of Dr. Warner, and says "were not going to support them,..why keep them working this summer"...Instead of fighting with each other...we should be fighting for each other....think of that vendia, dan, missy, tosee, julia( i just found out im ndn) goodfox., and where is your sign" Larry Echohawk help us..now."..well it looks like that help is comming,,but it looks like the actings might need some help.....onward Haskell..

millie 4 years, 6 months ago

@ drillsgt Lol you are right on the money. Where is Julia's sign now ??!! For sure the actings are going to need help now......ONWARD HASKELL and Senator Pat Roberts!

1canaryinthemine1 4 years, 6 months ago

Chenaut says there isn't enough money. How come Oglala Community College on one of the poorest reservations can offer 13 BA degrees and 2 graduate degrees. Little Priest Comm. College in Neb. has to go to Washburn to partner and create a BA. Haskell needs to step forward not backward.

1canaryinthemine1 4 years, 6 months ago

beobachter: I haven't ever seen the entire Ks. Senators & Representatives Democrats and Republicans working together. Maybe it's a start.

millie 4 years, 6 months ago

Mark Fagan GREAT article!!!

tomatogrower 4 years, 6 months ago

snowing (anonymous) says... I remember when Venida Chenault was running around telling people that she fired Don Bread because he disobeyed a direct order isn't that what she has done today by talking to the media?

You are ready to condemn people who don't do their job, and bring up Don, "read the newspaper, balance a personal checkbook, then go to lunch" Don Bread? I don't like to speak ill of the dead, but please. Let's find a better example.

screen_name 4 years, 6 months ago

Flat funding? When there is at least 1 grant that I know of that is sitting there not being spent because the actings are sitting on the funds? There are alot of grants at Haskell but they are not Haskell's priority and finance doesn't let them spend it anyway. Even though its money, its sneered at as "soft money" by the actings. Guess they never heard of the expression to never look a gift horse in the mouth. Find another excuse Venida.

ssakcaj 4 years, 6 months ago

Tomatogrower,

I think the point they were making is that Chenault didn't do anything about the person who as you claim "read the newspaper, balance a personal checkbook, then go to lunch." Instead they supposedly were fired for disobeying her direct order. I am going out on a limb and would venture this direct order that was disobeyed was not about the newspaper, or checkbook.

I do like how you did that "I don't want to speak ill of the dead, but..." Dr. Phil says that the moment you hear the word "but" you can forget everything else the person just said...

snowing 4 years, 6 months ago

Point being disobeying a direct order such as Haskell employees cannot speak to the media is cause for firing both Venida Chenault and Dan Wildcat. Why are they so special? Dan even makes students enrolled in his classes buy one of the books that he has written. Now there's an ethics violations.

Olympics 4 years, 6 months ago

A resolution of the uncertain leadership at HINU can only help.

roamingnome 4 years, 6 months ago

FINALLY!Someone who represents the constituents of Kansas, Natives included, is calling for an investigation. THANK YOU!

I have been told previously by a faculty member, and now I see it in print where Dr. Chenault uses that rationale that funding is the reason for cancelling the two proposed programs. THIS IS A BOLDFACE UNTRUTH. I understand that current qualified faculty with degrees (Masters and Doctorates)in their respective areas are currently teaching in these departments (HSES and the English and Fine Arts)...not like AIS where not one faculty member holds a degree in Indigenous Studies. So financial sustainability is not an issue! Dr. Chenault was one of the founders of the AIS program at Haskell so she is aware of this fact that they do not have qualified instructors, but yet is protecting the program. If a student is truly interested in an AIS degree (I still do not know what kind of employment awaits with this degree), they should attend, OU, ASU. or UCLA where they have instrucots who hold degrees in Indigenous Studies. Again, thinking of this, my heart goes out to the AIS students at Haskell who are being taken for a ride, or should I say,only there to keep a few instructors employed?

Thank you Senator Roberts and those citizens who had the courage to express their concerns to him.

geekin_topekan 4 years, 6 months ago

Hmm... Noone with a degree in that program? Yet, they are taking "listening session" trips to god knows where to see how the revision and fine tuning of the canceled programs could best benefit...who exactly?

As I said, I wonder if the new degree programs would have seriously compromised these ambitions, or scarier yet, would those ambitions have benefited only one or two "special" students? Remove funding from the student body at large to fund one or two student's educations or even pay for, dare I say it, a higher degree, at the expense of all students? One or two will receive funds intended for all Haskell students? A higher degree would definitely benefit the AIS program, I can see that, but will all Haskell students pay for one student's advancement?

If that were true than who is to say that said "special;" student would even return to Haskell after having a paid MA or MS? That would mean that he would have been promised a position at Haskell after receiving said benefits?

Wow, this scenario would be truly criminal would it not? Especially if it were to be implemented as anything but, a free ride on Haskell funds, without representation?*

*The above is purely a work of a fictional situation and any similarities to any person or event is purely coincidental. It is not intended to imply knowledge of the situation at Haskell.

goldpurple6 4 years, 6 months ago

Finally, maybe Salazar's office can provide answers and statements to the issues that have been raised. Let's hope it is not too late. The delayed response does nothing to help the image of the BIA/BIE. Almost makes me wonder if there is something to hide. There is no accountability at Haskell. Employees come and go as they please. Students should be the focus but are being pushed aside. As a taxpayer and stakeholder it is my business when I keep hearing how tax payers dollars are being mismanaged. Funding is not the issue never was. Kudos to Senator Roberts' office for trying to get to the bottom of this mess. I just hope my tax money is not wasted on ridiculous things like taking students to Palestine when they should be visiting reservations here and helping their own nations or buying the now self acclaimed climate change guru's latest book. And what about the Board? I still want to know if they have to report on their taxes the travel and stipends they receive from Haskell (your tax dollars) for serving on this advisory board. Oh what a tangled web.

Stuart Evans 4 years, 6 months ago

why should the federal government address this? aren't Indian tribes primarily self governing? Isn't that why the casinos and cheap cigarettes are such a draw?

Ralph Reed 4 years, 6 months ago

@AreUNorml. Haskell is an entity of the Federal Government and is not controlled by any one or consortium of tribes. That's why the Federal Government is investigating this.

@snowing. You said Dan Wildcat is guilty of an ethics violation because he has student in his classes buy a book he's written. Name one university where this does not happen. For example, by your definition numerous professors in many departments at KU are guilty of the same thing. Or, is it OK at KU because a KU professor requiring students to purchase a book they wrote can't be used to cast a dark shadow on Haskell?

In general, it's a good thing that leadership at Haskell is going to be investigated. I do hope, however, that the investigation includes not just poison pen writings of a faceless blogger, but also information going back two decades showing how Haskell arrived where she is.

One important item of discussion is the operational funding at Haskell. If, as stated in the article, Haskell has received level funding for the past decade. If that is the case then Haskell has been operating on $10 to $11 mil per year for the last ten years, not the $20 mil I've read elsewhere.

Additionally, a lot of older people in Lawrence (no, I don't have a number) are of the opinion that Dr. Warner was sent to Haskell to shut it down. Despite the LJW lip service, this is something developers in Lawrence have wanted for years. I just hope this "investigation" doesn't result in that outcome.

Finally, don't let this investigation become a witch hunt led by the pitchfork (poison pen) of a faceless blogger receiving inside information from someone in the administration. Let it be fair and honest, and let all sides be heard. So far, only one side has been heard.

tomatogrower 4 years, 6 months ago

"Additionally, a lot of older people in Lawrence (no, I don't have a number) are of the opinion that Dr. Warner was sent to Haskell to shut it down."

Good point. If Haskell is shut down, they will be able to ram the SLT through. Developers would love to build a strip mall on the medicine wheel. Maybe haskellnews has an investment he/she is not revealing.

snowing 4 years, 6 months ago

If people wanted Haskell to close they would have sat by and watched it happen, because that is exactly what was happening under Stephanie Birdwell, Venida Chenault and Dan Wildcat. If Dr.Warner was sent there to shut the place down why start two new BA programs? I'm tired of all the lies about Dr.Warner. My thanks to Senator Pat Roberts.

ssakcaj 4 years, 6 months ago

RalphReed

You contradict yourself when you say that Haskell is a part of the Federal government, then deny that Dan Wildcatt may have violated ethics regulations in requiring his students to buy a book he's written. If Wildcat did actually require students to buy his book he is at a minimum guilty of violating, 18 U.S.C. § 208. Acts affecting a personal financial interest. The interesting part is that even if he receives no profit from the book at all, he is still in violation. It matters not whether faculty at KU do the same thing, they are not Federal employees.

Next up I like how you speak of older people, which you claim not have a number, who think that Warner was sent to shut down Haskell. Now to the best of my knowledge I am not aware of any meeting of "older people" where you were appointed to be their spokesperson. Second, you do an ad hominem attack against the writer of the blog because they are anonymous, yet fail to cite any points where they were incorrect or have provided false information. You don't have to give me your name and show me your driver's license to tell me my house is on fire. You can be anonymous, That is what haskellnews has done, they have said the Haskell University house is on fire. I think that it is obvious that something is definitely amiss when a state's congressional delegation can't even get a straight answer, and when as they said, there appears to be no one in charge.

I find it sad that you use the threat of Haskell closing as a means of fear mongering. Isn't that standard practice for the majority population to control those in the minority? If you try and point out a problem, they threaten to take away current rights as a means of control. Then to make it even worse you haveTomatogrower jumping on the bandwagon and accusing Haskellnews of possibly having a financial interest in the trafficway. All Haskellnews has ever advocated is that Haskell have its president back maintaining as well as developing academic programs.

speakyoursoul10 4 years, 6 months ago

This is some positive news. Too bad a directive about not talking to the media was only for the government employees but apparently it doesn't apply to actings. Shouldn't there be some sort of write up following insubordination? If you want to see some crazy comments check out the news story about Haskell in the paper from the big city to the east. The board president speaks.

Ralph Reed 4 years, 6 months ago

@ssakcaj: About your first paragraph. I asked for a comparison. that's all. KU professors are KS State employees, hence they're government employees. I'll grant you they're not Federal employees. But laws are laws. You were very quick to cite book, chapter and verse about Dan Wildcat. Perhaps you could research and find a similar law for KS. However, as you said, "If Wildcat did actually require students to buy his book he is at a minimum guilty of violating..." Note the operative word in your statement, "If".

About your ad hominem attack accusation. There's no ad hominem attack. I simply stated three things. First, the blogger is faceless. You cannot deny that. I don't know who's writing the haskellnews blogs, so for me he/she/they is/are faceless. Second, some of the things about which the blogger has written could only have come from inside the administration. It's a logical assumption the blogger is receiving, "inside information from someone in the administration." Either that, or the blogger is part of the administration. Finally, having read most of the haskellnews blogs, I do consider them to be poison pen letters. Hence the analogy to the pitchfork in a witch hunt. Please, show me the ad hominem attack in that.

Talking about older people. I never said anything about a meeting of older people. Anything following your claim I'm a spokesman for a group of older people is irrelevant. I have, however, heard many people in Lawrence (older people, current and former Haskell employees, people in the neighborhood near Haskell) voice the concern that Warner was sent here to close Haskell down. I have real concerns that might happen.

I agree with you that Haskell's house is on fire, that's why I'm glad an investigation is being called for (about time Brownback did something besides run for President or KS Governor). I'm just not as positive about the ignition point. I really hope those conducting the investigation gather information from both sides of the argument.

I can only assume you agree with the rest of my comments as you said nothing about them.

As a note, this article is the first I remember reading about Warner's difficulties at Haskell. Do you have anything earlier? http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2008/aug...

screen_name 4 years, 6 months ago

It is difficult to gather information from both sides when the BIE/BIA side has stonewalled and has refused to answer to a congressional inquiry. I know people who work in DC and they have told me that there are deadlines for congressional inquiries and then when an inquiry is made of an agency or department it takes a high priority and is answered within the timeframe given. It appears by not providing answers to the inquiry that the BIE/BIA has something to hide, or they don't feel they have to answer to congress. Neither scenario bodes well for those in charge of Haskell or higher up the admin ladder. I think alot of good, consistent information has been collected by the Senator's office or it wouldn't be getting the attention it is. The information recieved by the Senator's office also must have merit and come from reliable sources (other than a faceless blogger) to result in the letter written to Salazar signed by 4 members of congress.

dontbrushitundertherug 4 years, 6 months ago

It's about time these issues were brought to the president's and tax paying public's attention. It has been too long that inept people are making inept decisions at Haskell. There is no written administrative procedures given to the employees because no one at Haskell is on the same page. Administrative departments rarely communicate with each other. Each person in the chain of command makes up their own rules or forms to be submitted (and that can change daily). And if someone toes were stepped on, well, don't expect your requests to be approved. Animosity runs rampart. Nothing sorrier than watching native people acting superior and misusing their position because they have more degrees behind their name than other native employees.

dontbrushitundertherug 4 years, 6 months ago

After reading the other comments above..RE: faculty writing books that are required reading for students...a possible ethics violation.. I think not, but.... Ask Dr. Warner about her book she co-authored titled " The Lewis and Clark Journey" or something to that effect..she used Haskell funds to purchase over a 100 of her books and then distributed one to each BIE educator that attended one of her organized RED Center's BIE school conference held at Haskell. Can you imagine Native grade school children enjoying reading about Lewis and Clark? You know, those guys that informed the east coast Europeans about the trails to move westward.

screen_name 4 years, 6 months ago

I just read the article in the KC Star and I'm appalled at what George Tiger said. He was Venida's parrot and said Haskell is underfunded and hoped the attention now would be used to lobby for more funds. Lobbying is the Board of Regents job. But they refuse to travel anywhere on Haskell business unless Haskell pays for it, and they cannot lobby if Haskell pays for their travel to DC because federal funds cannot be used for lobbying purposes. If the current board refuses to do one of their primary duties as a board member, then they all need to be relieved of their duties.

ssakcaj 4 years, 6 months ago

Poor sad, silly RalphReed,

You asked for a comparison between state (KU) and Haskell (Federal) employees. Do Federal Employee ethics rules apply to state employees, no they do not. Therefore your request for a comparison has no bearing on the situation. I don’t need to find similar laws for KS because, as stated previously, they do not apply in this situation. Then for the first time you actually bring up a salient point, no wait, I brought up the point you just agreed with me. The operative word is “if.” And that would be a relative easy thing to check, review the purchase order and see who signed for it, and check with the original requestor to see if Wildcat spoke with them about purchasing the books.

Once again I must explain to you what an ad hominem attack is, “a term used in debate to denote an argument made personally against an opponent, instead of against the opponent's argument.” (West's Encyclopedia of American Law) Your whole argument is based on the fact that you do not know who haskellnews is/are and because of that, their postings are without merit. That is the definition of an ad hominem attack. The rest of you blathering following that initial statement is irrelevant.

I do apologize for my reference to you being elected spokesperson at a meeting of older people. Evidently the sarcasm went over your head. Let me just explicitly state the point so as not to elude your mental grasp. You are not the voice of, are not the representative of, and do not speak for “older people.” If you heard from as you claim, “current and former Haskell employees, people in the neighborhood near Haskell” then state that. Stop trying to speak as though you spoke to any seriously large number of people and just be honest and say you spoke with X number of employees and my two neighbors. That’s good enough, you don’t need to exaggerate.

Since you did mention it again, I will address the school closing issue again. You talk about your irrational fear that Warner was “sent” to close the school. I read a copy of the Indian Leader, Haskell’s student paper, where Warner and another candidate visited the school and were interviewed by students and staff. A recommendation was made for hiring a candidate, Warner was the selectee. So if you are alleging a conspiracy it would involve the students and staff who were present at the time to also be involved as well. Black helicopters anyone?

You state that you “hope those conducting the investigation gather information from both sides of the argument.” What argument? The one about where they detail the presdent of the university out for six months and have no good reason why? They have stated repeatedly that there is no evidence of wrongdoing after looking at allegations. So if the person didn’t do anything wrong, why move them. Yes, the logic behind that should be investigated.

The only comment left is that Haskell’s budget is approximately $10 to $12 million a year. So yes I agree with that…

dontbrushitundertherug 4 years, 6 months ago

Recheck your timeline reference. Dr. Warner and Judith Gipp's RED Center BIE conference occurred when Dr. Warner was spending/dwindling funds on her own pet projects (2007 until her reassignment in 2009). Dan Wildcat was not involved with administrative issues during that time period. -She is injured when she trips on a broken sidewalk in her high heels, suddenly and finally the broken sidewalks on campus get repaired. -Her grandson has a brief interest in boxing, so Haskell funds are used to provide a new refurbished facility for the boxing club. The same facility the environmental science department wanted to safely store and protect their newly purchased canoes and trailer, which are now housed outside in a fenced area. -She was trying to use other appropriated funding to pay for a "fund raiser" position salary for the her RED center. The man she would administratively appoint for this position was currently at the University of Northern Texas. Wasn't her son with the University of Northern Texas at the time? -And let's not forget, her adminstratively appointed VP of Student Services, Ted Wright, who left Haskell under suspicious circumstances. Oh, how sweet the position of power must be!

dontbrushitundertherug 4 years, 6 months ago

Recheck your timeline reference. Dr. Warner and Judith Gipp's RED Center BIE conference occurred when Dr. Warner was spending/dwindling funds on her own pet projects (2007 until her reassignment in 2009). Dan Wildcat was not involved with administrative issues during that time period. -She is injured when she trips on a broken sidewalk in her high heels, suddenly and finally the broken sidewalks on campus get repaired. -Her grandson has a brief interest in boxing, so Haskell funds are used to provide a new refurbished facility for the boxing club. The same facility the environmental science department wanted to safely store and protect their newly purchased canoes and trailer, which are now housed outside in a fenced area. -She was trying to use other appropriated funding to pay for a "fund raiser" position salary for the her RED center. The man she would administratively appoint for this position was currently at the University of Northern Texas. Wasn't her son with the University of Northern Texas at the time? -And let's not forget, her adminstratively appointed VP of University Services, Ted Wright, who left Haskell under suspicious circumstances. Oh, how sweet the position of power must be!

goldpurple6 4 years, 6 months ago

dontbrushundertherug are these facts you present? You sound as though you have privvy to information, how is that? Sounds a bit like defamation, libel and slander if you can't prove anything. Can you provide documentation to prove your allegations? Or are you part of what is wrong with Haskell now? The rumor mill has got to stop and the current BIE Deputy Director for Postsecondary and the acting Haskell administrators need to be detailed so a fair and unbiased investigation can occur. Let’s start seeking the truth and put an end to the nonsense that has been allowed to happen over the last several months. Enough is enough.

Ralph Reed 4 years, 6 months ago

@ssahcaj: re your 0852 today.

"ssakcaj (anonymous) says... Poor sad, silly RalphReed,"

Too bad you sad that, there was no sense in reading the rest of your post. You seem intelligent from how you write.

HOWEVER...

You just shut off any hope for discussion. No need to talk to you further.

haskellyte 4 years, 6 months ago

Hey Rug Seems you think you know a lot about Dr. Warner's decisions and her motivation. I'll bet you're wrong about everything you posted, since I know for a fact you're wrong about the last bullet having to do with Dr. Wright's leaving "under suspicious circumstances." Please share with the blogosphere what you think you know about this.

I'd be interested in getting as many "facts" from you as possible so that I can take appropriate action to defend my reputation. I (Ted Wright) left Haskell after spending a year doing my best to help make Haskell Indian Nations University a better place for students. As you can tell from other of my posts I believe strongly that Haskell needs to be reformed. I believe there are a handful of individuals who have been attacking Dr. Warner from the start and doing everything they can to undermine her efforts to improve the university - to bring it into the 21st century - to make it an actual University. I have facts to suport my claims. I am not under any obligation to withold those facts and will do so as the investigation that is the topic of this article unfolds.

So, please tell us more about the suspicious circumstances under which I left. You can't just put that out there and think you'll get away with it. If you're a decent, honest person with an opposing view and are in possession of what I certainly consider to be misinformation if not lies, that's one thing. If you're intentionally trying to make claims regarding events about which you have no real knowledge, that's another.

Reply with your real name and cite the facts as you think you know them. I will then explain why I left and under what circumstances - and you will see that you have either made up a lie or passed on lies that someone else told to you.

Your move...

drillsgt 4 years, 6 months ago

hey rug, you sound just like a certain person in Parker Hall I overheard telling some other people that you have facts on certain people at various spots on campus,,,mmmmmm.....

screen_name 4 years, 6 months ago

Rug, you are a perfect example of why AIS people and other gutless wonders at Haskell have lost so much credibility in the past 2-3 years, if they had much credibility to begin with. Dr. Wright came to Haskell with excellent credentials, a solid reputation, and experience at other major universities, which is something no current acting administrator at Haskell can claim. I'm sure many people at Haskell are grateful to him for his letter to Salazar and for stepping up and doing something besides send 8-page emails all over campus, threatening colleagues, and then cry like a little girl in an all-employee meeting like SOME AIS instructors I've heard of.

ssakcaj 4 years, 6 months ago

But RalphReed, I simply stated facts. You were sad, at least I hope you aren't happy about the problems at Haskell. And you were silly. You totally misrepresented what an ad hominem attack is, and this would be the second time that you've done that and someone has called you on it. So either you were being silly and doing it on purpose, or you simply can't understand the concept. I gave you the benefit of a doubt and just figured you were being silly.

Now the other possibility is that you haven't responded because you realize your arguments were invalid and it is pointless to try and defend them. However, your ego won't let you admit that so you are grasping for anything and the best you can do is that I started it off with "Poor, sad, silly RalphReed."

Ralph Reed 4 years, 6 months ago

@ssakcaj.

p>@ssakcaj.>

Correction to my earlier post and I apologize for the spelling error.

Here's what it should have said.

"ssakcaj (anonymous) says... Poor sad, silly RalphReed,"

Too bad you said that, there was no sense in reading the rest of your post. You seem intelligent from how you write.

however...

You just shut off any hope for discussion. No need to talk to you further.