Archive for Monday, March 1, 2010

Douglas County taking orders for dust-reducing road treatments

March 1, 2010

Douglas County officials are accepting applications for keeping down dust this summer on sections of rural roads.

“With the weather the way it’s been, nobody is thinking about dust,” said Keith Browning, director of public works. “But they’ll certainly be thinking about it later this summer.”

Paid requests for receiving at-cost road treatments of dust palliative are due by 5 p.m. Friday. After that, requests made through March 31 are assessed a $15 late fee.

Each year, the county hires crews to treat sections of rural roads. Costs are unchanged from a year ago: Adjacent property owners can order service for $1.60 per linear foot, plus a $45 administrative fee per location.

Treatments typically begin in mid to late May.

For more information, call the county’s public works department, 832-5293, or visit the “Forms & Documents” section of the Public Works page at www.Douglas-County.com.

Comments

budwhysir 4 years, 1 month ago

much less expensive than pot hole repair, thus being put a the top of the list

Metalq22 4 years, 1 month ago

Yea, where's your Obama now?

somebodynew 4 years, 1 month ago

I simply can't afford it any longer (the long side of my property is gravel). Plus, it seems like the township comes along a couple weeks later and scrapes the road losing some of it's effectiveness. I don't know about anyone else, but in my township the last 5 or so years they seemed to have switched what gravel they use and it is nasty. It is very dusty and when it rains/snows it sticks like concrete to your vehicle and comes off in the garage. Probably cheaper, but definately a mess. I even make sure to pick up my mail from my vehicle so that I don't have to walk in the stuff (when wet) because I will drag it into the house, no matter how I try to wipe my feet.

riverdrifter 4 years, 1 month ago

"Treatments typically begin in mid to late May." I used to have this done but always thought they needed to wait a month. It was largely gone by September.

mfagan 4 years, 1 month ago

Hello somedude20 and rooster. The county uses either magnesium chloride or calcium chloride -- usually magnesium chloride, because it's typically less expensive, Keith Browning tells me. The compounds help reduce dust because they draw moisture from the air, to keep gravel roads "wet." Here's a link to an EPA page... http://www.epa.gov/nps/gravelroads/sec4.pdf Thanks. Mark Fagan Transportation reporter

rooster 4 years, 1 month ago

@somedude20 I believe they spray magnesium mixture?

Prydain 4 years, 1 month ago

Back in the day they used to spray used motor oil on the roads in Times Beach, MO. That town is now deserted and contaminated with dioxin.

Shane Garrett 4 years, 1 month ago

Back in the day used motor oil worked just fine.

somedude20 4 years, 1 month ago

unless their "treatment" is having fat people sit on the ground to keep the dust from flying, I am curious as to what chemicals are used to keep dust on the ground.

rooster 4 years, 1 month ago

There goes another 300 bucks.