Archive for Tuesday, June 29, 2010

LJWorld.com to live stream city fireworks display

June 29, 2010

If you aren't able to watch the city's fireworks display in person this Fourth of July, you can watch live online at LJWorld.com or tune in to Sunflower Broadband channel 99.

Log on to LJWorld.com just before the show starts at 9:45 p.m. on Sunday to watch the free live stream. You can begin watching at any point during the display.

For those who miss it live, LJWorld.com will post video of the fireworks online after the show.

Comments

whatadrag 4 years, 5 months ago

Yay, I'm gonna order pizza and sit on my butt inside my house all day

d_prowess 4 years, 5 months ago

Will there be a story about how long the show is going to be and what it will be like this year? Just curious to know if will be the same, kind-of-lame, extremely long show that it is every year.
At some point, considering the city has banned fireworks, you would think we would upgrade the show through extra fund-raising (throw up some change collection buckets at businesses around town at least!). In the past these shows have been a little embarrassing for our city. We really should have a show that doesn't require guys with flares to run around and light the fireworks individually and slowly!

bwebcorp 4 years, 5 months ago

Over the weekend I went to a fireworks display in Hanover,KS. A little town of about 800 and witness one of the most impressive displays I've every seen. It was 30 minutes long precisely coordinated to music which was aired on 95.5 FM for people in there car to listen. A continuous stream of fireworks from at least 3 separate major launchers. I was blown away. Chicago might have rivaled the amount of fireworks pumped into the sky. This was all accomplished by the mentioned above local support via donations. When will the people running this festival pull their heads out of their blank and do something similar. The Lawrence shows have been, since I've been here for 28 years, crap!!! We had better shows in our driveway. This isn't rocket science. Put some donation buckets out 6 months prior to the event and we can have a real display. I'll be the first in line.

tomatogrower 4 years, 5 months ago

If you go to the park about 5:30 and buy tickets, not only are you helping to pay for the fireworks, but you get to get something to eat or drink from one our locally owned restaurants at their booths. Very delicious and there will be good music on stage.. As to the music, big deal. Who wants to watch fireworks in your car or even next to your car? I'm just not that close to my car. I will park my car far away from the park. I don't think it likes fireworks anyway.

Also, the fireworks people are planning high flying fireworks, so that it will be better than last year. I think KU has really pushed people out of Burcham Park. The city said it's because they are worried people would fall into the river, but they weren't worried until KU built their fancy boat house over there. Lew Perkins has some real pull with the city and could care less about the people who live here.

d_prowess 4 years, 5 months ago

A lot of people don't want to go the park and sit in the heat for 4 hours waiting for the fireworks to start. I understand that selling tickets help the next year, but it is obviously not getting the job done. They need to add other ways for people to donate. And I am sure they probably accept donations, but no one will make a special effort to donate for fireworks. However, I think a lot of people will make the spontaneous decision to donate if their are coin buckets inside many of the downtown stores. I have suggested this for a few years and I just don't understand why they wouldn't even try it. The stores downtown benefit from a good show that draws in a lot of people so I can't think they would be opposed. I do agree that the music thing is unnecessary. We just need a good show to draw people in...

bwebcorp 4 years, 5 months ago

d_prowess absolutely correct. I do attend park and spend lots of money there. But like mentioned above that doesn't seem to be equating to a better show. I just get to eat, drink and watch the usual crappy show. My beef is with the lack of commitment by the powers that control the fireworks display to do anything to try raise money for it. All I hear every year is we don't have enough money so there might not be a show and some how someone steps up and gives us 20 minutes of random blah. Hello, a town of 800 is smoking us. Were playing with finger snaps and their using dynamite.

Adeas 4 years, 5 months ago

For the record, I doubt Hanover could afford PFB Pyros if they weren't local folks. They put on an awesome show and I was glad to be up there at the right time this year. We were close enough to just about go deaf from the speakers they had suspended from forklifts. We were also close enough to feel the heat waves during the Thunder piece!

We saw the show at Washington last year and it beat what we've seen in Lawrence as well. So, little Washington County is able to blow away Lawrence twice a year when it comes to fireworks shows...

overthemoon 4 years, 5 months ago

Is so Rocket Science!!! The best fireworks we've had in town was back when Target opened. Just happened to be in the area and it was spectacular. Lawrence display has always been lame. They buy the same stuff every year, there's no sense of timing or surprise. There are newer fireworks in I've seen elsewhere that are really innovative and beautiful.

jennifermarti 4 years, 5 months ago

Is the show at Clinton Lake again this year or have they moved it back downtown?

wmathews 4 years, 5 months ago

The Lawrence show is downtown. The best viewing area will be Watson Park between Sixth and Seventh/Kentucky and Tennessee.

silkiner 4 years, 5 months ago

Not downtown only fifteen minute parking

whatadrag 4 years, 5 months ago

The show will take breaks for people to put more quarters in, if it lasts that long.

d_prowess 4 years, 5 months ago

Actually, the problem is that it last WAY too long. Since they have to manually fire them, there is a wait between each rocket which makes the show last forever. Maybe the amount of fireworks are enough for a good show, but when they spread them out over such a long time period it gets boring.

rumor_man 4 years, 5 months ago

Great news! It'll be just like being there! (rolls eyes)

GardenMomma 4 years, 5 months ago

The Amelia Earhart Days in Atchison has some pretty awesome fireworks. It's been a couple of years since we've been, so they might not be as good now. But they sure were spectacular when we saw them. Better than any I've seen in Lawrence.

Of course, watching the show from the hill at KU was pretty cool, but then I was a kid.

mdrndgtl 4 years, 5 months ago

But then you miss all the honky festivities.

whats_going_on 4 years, 5 months ago

Our show is kind of laughable. If you're not going to have anything too impressive, at least let people shoot them off themselves.

And why SELL fireworks all around Lawrence if we can't even do anything? (besides snakes...woooooooooooooooooooooooo!)

kufan8808 4 years, 5 months ago

lol people shoot them off every year all over. its as if the law doesnt exist. we shoot them off too. always get loads. No one cares

last year I went by the police station and they were shooting some off. no joke! :D