Archive for Tuesday, June 29, 2010

40 years ago: Report filed on toy airplane attack plan

June 29, 2010

Lawrence was experiencing a temperature of 93 degrees by noon on this date. A high of 96 or more was expected before sunset, making it the hottest day of the year so far. A morning low of 77 had already set a record earlier in the day. Since the beginning of record-keeping in Lawrence, the morning low on June 29 had always been below 77. However, the daytime temperature was not yet approaching the all-time high of 107, reached on this date in 1934.

A Kansas University police report showed that an unidentified person claimed to have overheard “a group of hippies” discussing how they could attack and burn the city of Lawrence using toy airplanes.

Five juveniles, ages 13 to 17, were arrested after forcing their way into Traders Pawn Shop, 822 Massachusetts, and collecting items with the intent to steal them. A patrolling officer noticed the break-in and called for additional support. The items collected were valued at $102.44.

Comments

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 6 months ago

"Five juveniles, ages 13 to 17,.."....are probably now LJW users. Anyone going to 'fess up to this?

And as far as those hot temps..that meant car windows down, and the back of our legs in shorts BURNING on those car seats!!!! Leaning forward, squirming around trying not to die. No seat belts back then so you could do some serious sliding this way or that to find a spot that might have been in the shade. Three kids, all on one side of a back seat if necessary, because that side had been under a shade tree.

Why parents didn't routinely cover those seats with light towels as a precaution amazes me, but they didn't. I kept my kids car seats covered, etc, if they had to be outside.

LadyJ 4 years, 6 months ago

"A Kansas University police report showed that an unidentified person claimed to have overheard “a group of hippies” discussing how they could attack and burn the city of Lawrence using toy airplanes" Oh boy, brings back memories of a restaurant in Eudora, someone in our group joking about an imaginary bomb in the trunk, and a half a dozen police cars.

tolawdjk 4 years, 6 months ago

My daughter just commented the other day on how the fabric on her car seat was "too hot". I felt it, then told her, "Girl, you don't know vinyl."

Sarah St. John 4 years, 6 months ago

No kidding! It's funny to me how the same universal themes keep coming up, no matter what year I'm looking at. Kansans have apparently always had an interest in the weather. And it's always been hot in June! I'm wondering if one of these days I'm going to be looking at the 1910 paper, and I'll see that someone mentioning that the leather upholstery in their horse-drawn carriage was too hot to sit on. :)

gccs14r 4 years, 6 months ago

No, because wool pants and petticoats would have provided insulation from the hot leather. Besides, those folks were made of sterner stuff.

LadyJ 4 years, 6 months ago

Funny, my grandparents claimed all they had was a wooden seat across the wagon.

Sarah St. John 4 years, 6 months ago

Py, I've often thought the same thing about places that joke that the mosquito is their state bird. I've heard it for Wisconsin, Minnesota, and a few others. But yes, I think the "don't like the weather" line is even more prevalent. People take pride in their weather, and it seems the more crazy the weather is, the prouder they are! Did you see the article about storm chasers that come all the way from Australia to gawk at our tornadoes?