Archive for Sunday, June 27, 2010

Poet’s Showcase: ‘Spanish Moss’

June 27, 2010

Spanish moss hanging low,
Swinging, swaying to and fro,
Dark and damp
Against the moon’s no show.
It’s there you know
Just unseen, black.

I’ll gather the moss,
Place it under your head,
Carry you out to your ocean bed,
Wave goodbye as you float away
On ocean waves, blue.

If I could ease your sleep
Into the deep, I’d do it.
Kiss your lips one last time,
You’re so old and you’re too young,
Your journey’s just begun, red.

But first I’ve got to let you go,
Kiss the lips that have grown so cold,
Push you out to sea
Away, so far away from me.
The moon hangs low.
It’s there you know, gold.

— Ronda Miller lives in Lawrence.

Comments

RoeDapple 4 years, 6 months ago

Interesting how you played the colors as a way to set the mood for each verse. Is that a style of poetry or something you have developed?

Ronda Miller 4 years, 6 months ago

Great you picked up on that, Roe. It isn't a style of poetry that I'm aware of. I never plan to write a poem as I really never took any classes in poetry writing in my KU creative writing days. I always wrote short stories.

About five, six years ago I began having poetry attacks - I was going through a major health issue at the time. The poetry began coming and I began writing it as fast as I could. It is, oddly enough, almost as though it's a turret's syndrome with me. I can't not write it when this happens. In this particular poem, the initial colors of black and blue came at the end of the first two stanzas and I noticed it. I then added the red and the gold to the other ones. I had a struggle with the inner force as it wanted the last word to be black - since that was the moon's color in the first stanza - but I thought the poem was too depressive and I wanted it to end on a more positive, hopeful message about hope for an afterlife.

Ronda Miller 4 years, 6 months ago

My bad, tourette's is the proper spelling, although I was close enough that it actually popped up with my version. Just correcting before Alf appears. :)

Kontum1972 4 years, 6 months ago

Ole'....Senora!

from a real Hispanic....

Zorro and the Blue Footballs

Ronda Miller 4 years, 6 months ago

Great name. May I incorporate into a poetic phrase?

Where's your Zorro avatar?

Kontum1972 4 years, 6 months ago

for 500.00 you can......he's me cousin....we split it 50/50...and why were u not a the fiesta this weekend..."burrito boy" was there..he was asking about chu....

me cousin es Armando Stilleto'...sez Hola..!

Ronda Miller 4 years, 6 months ago

500 is quite a fee for one line. Perhaps you'll throw in more extensive lines.

I heard good things about the fiesta. Any Spanish moss there? I've been trying to grow some i've brought back from Florida, but it doesn't look too good. I would have thought it has been humid enough.

I had a virus that's making its way around town. Not fun.