Archive for Friday, June 25, 2010

Judge sentences Kansas City man to 12 months probation for actions leading to lockdown of KU’s McCollum Hall

April incident led to a floor-by-floor search of the university’s largest dorm

Samuel Moore has already been in jail serving time after violation his probation for two other crimes.

June 25, 2010

A Douglas County judge sentenced a man who caused chaos in April at Kansas University to 12 months probation and ordered him not to return to any of the KU campuses.

Samuel L. Moore, 24, of Kansas City, Kan., made a tearful apology for his actions April 30 that led to the lockdown of KU’s largest dormitory for several hours, while authorities searched for an armed gunman who did not exist.

“A lot of things did happen at KU that shouldn’t have happened and caused a lot of concern,” Moore’s attorney John Johnson told the judge.

Moore entered a guilty plea in May to a felony charge of obstruction, admitting that he lied to police, and a misdemeanor charge of criminal trespassing.

Douglas County District Court Judge Sally Pokorny sentenced Moore to 12 months of supervised probation through Douglas County Community Corrections, ordering him to obtain a drug and alcohol evaluation, get a full-time job, and report to a probation officer, something Moore has had trouble with in the past.

“You need to step up and be a man,” Pokorny said in a stern address to Moore. “You have shown that you don’t learn from your past mistakes, and if you don’t learn from this one, you’re going to spend eight months in the penitentiary.”

After Moore’s arrest following the April 30 incident at McCollum Hall, Pokorny revoked his probation on two previous theft cases from 2008 and 2009.

Friday she ordered Moore to spend 63 days in jail for the probation violations.

Moore has already been in custody for 54 days, meaning he will have to serve nine more days in the Douglas County Jail.

He told the judge he was anxious to get out and prove that he’s a changed man.

“All I can do is go out and prove it,” Moore told the judge. “If I get the chance, I won’t let anyone down.”

Pokorny warned Moore that he is looking at some hefty prison time if he messes up this time around.

“I wish you the best of luck, and I hope to never see you in the courtroom again,” Pokorny said.

Moore said, “You won’t,” before being taken away in shackles.

Comments

lawrenceguy40 4 years, 9 months ago

Glad they didn't throw the book at him. That afternoon's excitement was mostly due to the absolute incompetence of LPD.

lawrenceguy40 4 years, 9 months ago

and KUPD. They have to take credit too. But they did get to look like Rambo on the regional TV.

From what folks told me, they very quickly realized what was going on after they received the fake call that the gunman was down at McDonalds. Instead of holding on to the alleged victims (although they did take the woman for a chat) and witnesses, they let them go wandering off, so they couldn't question them further. So they carried on with their "hunt" and reveled in the attention, almost 100% sure they wouldn't find anybody.

topflight 4 years, 9 months ago

lawrenceguy40, why don't you fill us in on the case since you were obviously there. oh yeah, and fill us in on the court proceedings and evidence since again, you were obviously there. what a ----

over_par 4 years, 9 months ago

LG40. Even if they thought he wasn't there they would have to complete a search. Because if they are wrong, he was there and started shooting, they would have hell to pay.

Why so angry at the LPD? Too may speeding tickets? Related to the Neighbors? You get fired from there or something.

dubstep 4 years, 9 months ago

Agreed. The LPD is something we can be proud of. They're good people and in my experience they are very respectful. Some may think they're too soft, but in my opinion far better than in Topeka or KC.

irvan moore 4 years, 9 months ago

I sure wish him and his girlfriend were going to have to pay all the expenses incurred instead of us taxpayers.

jonas_opines 4 years, 9 months ago

Oh, snap!

"Why so angry at the LPD?"

You haven't noticed that he's angry about everything? Why should the LPD be an exception?

puddleglum 4 years, 9 months ago

good thing he didn't run over a bicyclist and kill them, otherwise, he might have to serve his sentence over christmas break.

Steve Bunch 4 years, 9 months ago

Singular bicyclist calls for singular pronoun. You can do better. I know you can.

dubstep 4 years, 9 months ago

It's just too easy to be policing grammer on here.

puddleglum 4 years, 9 months ago

I was talking about running over a bicyclist, and killing them-as in plural others...ie-a cyclist and a pedestrian.
but pretty is as pretty does and I used disappearing ink so you could not see that-just was making sure that the grammar police wasn't all sitting at the donut shop.

KEITHMILES05 4 years, 9 months ago

Dollars to donuts the guy is all talk and no do. Almost ALL felons continue to mess up. If I was the judge I'd locked his butt up in prison. The only reason she didn't is because there are too many other felons out there doing just what he did, MESS up their lives continually. Society needs protected from these types.

grammaddy 4 years, 9 months ago

2 previous theft cases , this, and all he got was another year on probation? Hasn't he already been violated on the other two chances he had. What about this mess makes him eligible for another?

Paula Kissinger 4 years, 9 months ago

It is very easy to armchair quarterback the LPD/KUPD. I suggest you try being one of those officers for a day and see if your attitude changes, LG40.

As for the sentencing...must we go over this again ? These people are elected by popular vote or appointed by individuals that were voted into their office by popular vote. Please be very certain that you are voting for someone that you can live with. Aside from Jean Shepard I have not had a positive experience with any female judge in this county nor have I seen any of them render an appropriate decision/sentence. Sad...very sad.

kansasredlegs 4 years, 9 months ago

Besides weekend and holidays, the life of a cop is pretty easy so stop playing the violin for them... Plus, think of all the speeding tickets and DUIs they get out of for being Cops... And, Police work not even in top 20 most dangerous jobs. At least in DG CO & City of Lawrence, law enforcement officers are paid above average and have a nice KP&F Retirement System that many would love to have.

DG CO Judges are not elected, they are appointed by the Governor and have retention votes. At sentencing, Judges are restricted by sentencing guidelines and don't have the ability to just hammer away at a defendant. Unfair to blast judges for "light" sentences when hamstrung by the law. If you have a problem with "light" sentences, take it up with your State Reps.

grammaddy 4 years, 9 months ago

Judge Shepard is leaving soon if she hasn't already. She's great and I will surely miss her.

volunteer 4 years, 9 months ago

PitBullGrandma...let me see if I follow you.

In your opinion, it is improper to second-guess police officers. But it is fitting and proper to second-guess certain women judges in this merit-selection county.

Interesting...

Paula Kissinger 4 years, 9 months ago

Volunteer...show me what the LEO's did incorrectly regarding this case vs the slap on the hand that the judge gave the guy. Also, I am not second-guessing anyone. Based on my professional experience I am telling you that the sentence she gave him is a joke and means nothing to him. The slap on his wrist equates to a slap in the face of the officers who worked this case. He got no punishment for this...just a warning. See my last paragraph below.

Redlegs...you have no clue. You think that the police have an easy life during the weekdays ? Reflect on the day that the bicyclist was attacked and was saved by the teenagers...not on a weekend. One of the worst kidnapping/rape cases in the city's history I worked on a Tuesday. People are arrested for DUI, battery, assault, burglary and every other imaginable crime every day here...worse on the weekends. Most individuals in the law enforcement field are underpaid given the circumstances in which they work and a lot never live to collect their retirement.

As far as the sentencing, read my above comment to volunteer. The judge gave this joker the minimum allowed and he is a previous offender from out of the city who is going to blow this whole thing off. There is no real punishment for this offense. The jail time served was from the revocation of his probation. She threatened to send him to prison for 8 months...please. That is my gripe with the judge and I have seen it in almost every case heard by one of the female judges. I am sick of it.

Majestic42 4 years, 9 months ago

The KUPD must not have found his bike when it was stolen freshmen year.

Larry McGlinn 4 years, 9 months ago

He should be made to reimburise city, county and state for all the expense involved in investigating his false information!

George_Braziller 4 years, 9 months ago

I've met him. He's a big goofball who thinks stupid stuff like this is funny because he likes the attention.

Dawn Davis 4 years, 9 months ago

THE JUDGE IS IN THE WRONG-just because theygo to-"KU" doesn't mean they get special treatment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!